Wandering Flame

This is for BZP's BBC #63 Contest. The theme was "Fire".7377476330_e69f983134_n.jpg(click for larger picture)Gallery (when public)Alternate AngleBackFlickrI didn't really have much time to work on this all that much, as I had finals (which I passed!), and that I'm going on vacation, so I'll be away from my parts.The idea was to make a being that could control fire, so I made this. The fire on it's left hand was not intentionally made to look like a whip/sword, it just happened to look so, and I decided to keep it. The right hand is some kind of flame gun, I guess. I tried to make the face look a tad gas mask-esque, so it would play along with the fire theme. Also, yes, I know the eyes are adorable.Storyline-wise, I originally didn't have much time to think of anything. But, I feel that this would fit the theme of a dark hunter. Since he has the gadget (gas mask, and fire gun/arm), and how he controls fire. Apologies for some re-used designs, rushing leaves no time for much originality =P But the torso design is still completely different that the ones on Pixi Droid and Hunter. They just all look similar due to using the HF shoulder pads with the hockey torso piece.Also, I've checked the system to technic/bionicle/HF ratio. Less than 25% of the MOC is comprised of system parts.C&C appreciated.

Edited by Lord Oblivion

This is pretty cool and unique. The torso design and weapons are all nicely done. The head is also really nice. However, the upper legs could be a bit thicker but other than that, this is cool! By the way, what set did the flame on the left hand come from?
Look closely it's just several different flames put together. @Lord, again try to not mix bionicle with other things and I do not think there is very much fire in this.

@Lord, again try to not mix bionicle with other things and I do not think there is very much fire in this.
I think that's actually completely irrelevant to the point, tomaku.Why not mix bionicle with other things? Sure, some people may enjoy just bionicle (as i do), but combining it gives you so much more possibility.More on topic, this is pretty great!I have always loved use of the hockey chest, and you use it expertly. It just fits in so well with its blocky style.Tomaku may have a point on the fact that it doesn't contain much fire, but that's another thing that makes it somewhat special.Because even withought being red or being made completely out of fire, it still looks like a sort of fire entity. The gas mask also really helps that along.And also, great head design! Not many people are very creative with their heads, and just use masks instead.But you have proved to be a great designer! Keep up the great work!-Dwanny

Awesome. The eyes are, as you said, adorable. The head is very neat, indeed gas-mask-like. The torso is smooth yet detailed, I like it a lot. The arms and legs are slightly similar to your other MOCs, so that means they're beautiful. Tne right hand is very neat and the flame in the left is nice. Oh, and just how did you join those fire pieces? The colours are gorgeous, it's fiery enough for me. 10/10

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

NU! My Moc is going to lose. T.TWell, as you can see here, I really like the Moc. The torso is built like a nice brute, but sleek as well. Perhaps because it was made with that hockey torso? I like how you incorporated those hockey pieces in there. I love the gas-mask esque design you were going for. It makes it look like one of those things you would find in a cave. That flame design of the left hand is marvolous. The right hand is also amazing, but couldn't you of put a bigger flame? The legs and arms are really cool and sleek as well. I like the Moc Lord, and good luck in the contest. :)~Gravity

Wow, this is really great! I love the fact that it still looks fire-themed without actually using a lot of fire. The head and torso are my favorite parts, but the rest is still great too. I don't think there's anything I don't like about it. You'll get far in the contest I'm sure, good luck:)

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

I do not like the mix because it takes so much less effort and time.
I, as well as a few others (such as Ballom, Lord Oblivion, DeeVee), can tell you from experience that it can be very difficult to mix System parts with Bionicle Parts, especially getting the flow of pieces right. Due to the nature of System pieces, there are more angles on them. There also is the issue of even getting the pieces connected to a mostly Bionicle MOC. I would in fact argue that the exact opposite is true because System pieces add a whole new level of designing and thinking that must (usually) be developed by experimentation.Anywways, on to the main reason I posted. :PThe torso is probably my favorite part of the MOC. It seems nice and solid. I especially like how well the black Hockey chest piece (I think that's what it's from) works with the Hero Factory pieces. The tubing looks good and even though they aren't the same diameter they still look like they match, possibly because they're the same color. The shoulder armour is also works well, even though it looks like they might restrict movement a bit. The back looks good for the most part, although the headlight System piece as well as the square plate look a bit out of place because of the blockiness of the pieces compared with the smoothness of the rest of the MOC. The System T piece connected to the Inika leg piece also looks a little out of place because it sticks out a bit. Another thing I want to draw attention to, although it's not too important, are the ball connectors. I think the older ball connectors (the ones without a hole through them) would fit with the flow of the rest of the MOC. However, I do understand that because they're so old they lose their tightness in the axle connection and they can be difficult to find. That's something that's not terribly important.I like the lowers limbs; they have the same solid look of the torso. the hand with the "sword" works well and I like the fire laser on the right arm. It reminds me of some ray gun from the fifty's with the multiple circular pieces. I also like the Roborider heads on the back of the lower legs and how it blends with the Hero Factory armour piece on the front. Probably the thing I like the least about the MOC are the thin upper sections of the limbs. I've seen it on several other MOCs and can't say I like it a whole lot. It seems to throw off the solid look of the rest of the MOC. Such a contrast is a bit jarring, at least for me. The holes in the elbows and knees also look a bit strange.The head, while a little large, blends well with the rest of the MOC. the brain bucket (I don't know what else to call it :P) works very well with the Hero Factory pieces as well as the chest piece. The eyes look very alien and large, which seems to work. the "mask" part also looks good.While the MOC looks great for the most part, I'm not sure how well it'd fit into the Bionicle universe. It doesn't seem to have that bio-mechanical feel to it that most of the Bionicle characters and creatures have (even Maxilos, the robot guardian has the same kind of style), but of course that is something for the judges to decide.Overall, though, the MOC looks great. Again, the torso is very nice. Good luck in the contest. :)

This is pretty cool and unique. The torso design and weapons are all nicely done. The head is also really nice. However, the upper legs could be a bit thicker but other than that, this is cool! By the way, what set did the flame on the left hand come from?
Thank you! Glad you like it. The idea was to make the MOC spindly, I would've preferred to have the upper arms and legs maybe a tad bigger, but there isn't really a good substitute for the diameter of the axle connects so that it would still retain the aesthetic :/ The flames are individual pieces, I ordered them from a site, but plenty of sets have them.
@Lord, again try to not mix bionicle with other things and I do not think there is very much fire in this.
That isn't really much of a proper reason, have you even tried to incorporate all three? They're all LEGO, and the LEGO ccompany itself even uses all three in some of their sets. Heck, a majority of the old bionicle parts were either used in system sets, or made to work with system parts. Many of the exceptional builders have worked hard to find ways to incorporate system alongside their technic works (and vice-versa). This is my first real year of being able to use them together, but there are those who've done it for years, and are probably some of the best builders I've ever seen (DeeVee, Blue Diamond, Primus, Retinence, etc). It takes years to find the perfect balance between them, so im sure that it actually takes more time and effort to use them.You're entitled to your opinion, debate with me via pm if you really want. But this topic is for my MOC, not some anti-anything that isn't bionicle rally.On topic now: I can understand that there isn't much fire pieces per say, but I explained below the picture my reasoning. Thanks.
I think that's actually completely irrelevant to the point, tomaku.Why not mix bionicle with other things? Sure, some people may enjoy just bionicle (as i do), but combining it gives you so much more possibility.More on topic, this is pretty great!I have always loved use of the hockey chest, and you use it expertly. It just fits in so well with its blocky style.Tomaku may have a point on the fact that it doesn't contain much fire, but that's another thing that makes it somewhat special.Because even withought being red or being made completely out of fire, it still looks like a sort of fire entity. The gas mask also really helps that along.And also, great head design! Not many people are very creative with their heads, and just use masks instead.But you have proved to be a great designer! Keep up the great work!-Dwanny
Thank you :) The hockey chest can be useful at times indeed, it has a pretty unique shape to it. Glad you saw what I was going for. Haha, I wouldn't say I'm a great head designer, this is probably on of the better heads I made that didn't incorporate a mask to it.
Awesome. The eyes are, as you said, adorable. The head is very neat, indeed gas-mask-like. The torso is smooth yet detailed, I like it a lot. The arms and legs are slightly similar to your other MOCs, so that means they're beautiful. Tne right hand is very neat and the flame in the left is nice. Oh, and just how did you join those fire pieces? The colours are gorgeous, it's fiery enough for me. 10/10
They are aren't they? :3 I'm glad you liked the MOC, thanks. On the pin end of the fire pieces, are small mini-pins. They can attach to the gap on the flames that are 2nd to the end of the flame.
NU! My Moc is going to lose. T.TWell, as you can see here, I really like the Moc. The torso is built like a nice brute, but sleek as well. Perhaps because it was made with that hockey torso? I like how you incorporated those hockey pieces in there. I love the gas-mask esque design you were going for. It makes it look like one of those things you would find in a cave. That flame design of the left hand is marvolous. The right hand is also amazing, but couldn't you of put a bigger flame? The legs and arms are really cool and sleek as well. I like the Moc Lord, and good luck in the contest. :)~Gravity
Don't think like that, you never know what happens in these BBC contests :)That was kind of the idea I was going for, thus I opted for the spindly aesthetic. Thanks, I'm happy of how the head turned out. I wish I could have put a larger flame, But I lacked any more oof the little fire bits, or a larger flame to put on the pin hole :( Thanks, good luck to you as well.@Zorrahk: This reply would have no end if I quoted your post and replied :P So I'll just go old school for this one.Thanks for proving my point :)Yes, it's from the hockey sets. Thank you, the chest piece really seems to work well with the new HF shoulder armor. The articulation is a bit restricted, but works well enough to pose it, thankfully :P Yes the do look a bit out of place, I couldn't think of an alternative way to use the Mahri pipe in the time I had :( They really should make those T-bars in black, then I'd be in heaven <3 Also, I regret not using the old ball joints, I completely missed the fact that I could have used those.Thanks! The brain bucket was the helmet piece for the hockey sets, just so you know :) Thanks.Completely understood, I guess it would be a bit too sleek for the bionicle universe. But I trie to make sure that the proportions were similar (the big-ish head, the somewhat short legs). But the theme did say not terribly out of place, I wouldn't say it's that different :P But I do see where you're coming from. Let's hope the judges feel that it fits.Thanks for the review! I appreciate it :)

@Zorrahk: This reply would have no end if I quoted your post and replied :P So I'll just go old school for this one.Thanks for proving my point :)Yes, it's from the hockey sets. Thank you, the chest piece really seems to work well with the new HF shoulder armor. The articulation is a bit restricted, but works well enough to pose it, thankfully :P Yes the do look a bit out of place, I couldn't think of an alternative way to use the Mahri pipe in the time I had :( They really should make those T-bars in black, then I'd be in heaven <3 Also, I regret not using the old ball joints, I completely missed the fact that I could have used those.Thanks! The brain bucket was the helmet piece for the hockey sets, just so you know :) Thanks.Completely understood, I guess it would be a bit too sleek for the bionicle universe. But I trie to make sure that the proportions were similar (the big-ish head, the somewhat short legs). But the theme did say not terribly out of place, I wouldn't say it's that different :P But I do see where you're coming from. Let's hope the judges feel that it fits.Thanks for the review! I appreciate it :)
No problem. :)Concerning the pipes, I guess I should have said that normally the use of both on the same MOC usually looks a bit strange (I actually have both kinds of tubes on my BBC entry, which I thought was kind of funny :P), but it works well on this one. I think it's because they're the same color. I also hope that we'd get more colors for those T-bars, especially in in black (I would also like the pins and axles to go back to black, but I doubt that will happen, unfortunately).I thought those were from the hockey sets, but I remember seeing them on some Exo-Force sets (I have some orange ones with stickers on them). Now I want some of those in black. :P What set is it from?Thanks for understanding. It can especially be difficult to have a Bionicle feel to something when the toyline has ended. Just call in a Dark Hunter and you might not have a problem. :P

@Zorrahk: This reply would have no end if I quoted your post and replied :P So I'll just go old school for this one.Thanks for proving my point :)Yes, it's from the hockey sets. Thank you, the chest piece really seems to work well with the new HF shoulder armor. The articulation is a bit restricted, but works well enough to pose it, thankfully :P Yes the do look a bit out of place, I couldn't think of an alternative way to use the Mahri pipe in the time I had :( They really should make those T-bars in black, then I'd be in heaven <3 Also, I regret not using the old ball joints, I completely missed the fact that I could have used those.Thanks! The brain bucket was the helmet piece for the hockey sets, just so you know :) Thanks.Completely understood, I guess it would be a bit too sleek for the bionicle universe. But I trie to make sure that the proportions were similar (the big-ish head, the somewhat short legs). But the theme did say not terribly out of place, I wouldn't say it's that different :P But I do see where you're coming from. Let's hope the judges feel that it fits.Thanks for the review! I appreciate it :)
No problem. :)Concerning the pipes, I guess I should have said that normally the use of both on the same MOC usually looks a bit strange (I actually have both kinds of tubes on my BBC entry, which I thought was kind of funny :P), but it works well on this one. I think it's because they're the same color. I also hope that we'd get more colors for those T-bars, especially in in black (I would also like the pins and axles to go back to black, but I doubt that will happen, unfortunately).I thought those were from the hockey sets, but I remember seeing them on some Exo-Force sets (I have some orange ones with stickers on them). Now I want some of those in black. :P What set is it from?Thanks for understanding. It can especially be difficult to have a Bionicle feel to something when the toyline has ended. Just call in a Dark Hunter and you might not have a problem. :P
Ah yes, I see. The main problem generally relates to that or just different shades (such as with the silver versions). Black pins, axles, T-bars, oh how great it would be to have them back. It makes it so tough sometimes, cause it can set a limit to how many you can use :( Yeah, exo-force does use some of the hockey or bionicle parts. I got the piece from an order, but the set it originally belongs to is called the "Slammer Goalie". Haha, very true. I guess we can just call this a dark hunter then indeed ;) I never really though up a story or anything, I just took the pics and posted it xD

Beautiful armor piece combos in the torso. That kind of sleek look is the thing I admire most about your MOCs, I can never make it that good. And, of course, the head and limbs work very well.Regarding its Bionicle-ness, I do like the proportions. They fit the Mata body ones pretty well. Maybe shorten the thighs, but that's it. The smoothness may set it apart a little, but really, it seems fine to me. The level of detail/ridges makes it look very armor-ish. I would, however, use different thighs and upper arms. I love that tecnique in general (actually, I really love it in this MOC as well, it's just the contest issue that makes me question it) but they really don't match up with the Bionicle look. If you were to change it, though, you may have a harder time because you used the boat stud knees and elbows. Again, though, as a stand-alone MOC it's really spectacular.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

You can't rush perfection? Also Bionicle is basically built on the technic system of pegs, axles, and holes. Anyway, I've seen ton of MOC's that have used both only BIONICLE and only System, and it doesn't take too much to combine them. Lego Bricks are meant to be mismatched with each other- it's the basic fundamental of building. It's like saying you can't make a City MOC without using parts from Castle, or a BIONICLE MOC with no HERO Factory. And effort is a nice thing to have in an MOC by the way.Now onto your MOC. I very much like it's flow. The torso seems wonderfully built. The use of pipes adds a nice texture. I also love how you used the shoulder pads sideways. Most people would leave it there with a large gap, but you nicely filled it in with room for articulation! As said in the notes, the right hand could use a bigger flame. The upper legs, I understand the skinniness is to match with the forearms, but it looks a tad overdone on the thighs. I'm not sure whether it's too long or too skinny. However the shins are absolutely marvelous. The feet maybe could've been executed better. I'm all for '01 feet, but the way they look on here is a bit small. I would've liked perhaps a two-toed type of foot, or maybe one that looks intricate. Due to this being in a fire contest, I guess I'll comment on that. The fire theme is definitely present here, but I don't know how I feel about the small amount of fire in this. I only see 3 fire themed features here, being his 2 weapons, and the gas mask. I feel maybe the use of a secondary color used in small proportion would've fit, you know, sort of a firey finish. But over all, I think this will definitely make it past the prelims!Oh and I love the head <3

doom4revalt.png

Beautiful armor piece combos in the torso. That kind of sleek look is the thing I admire most about your MOCs, I can never make it that good. And, of course, the head and limbs work very well.Regarding its Bionicle-ness, I do like the proportions. They fit the Mata body ones pretty well. Maybe shorten the thighs, but that's it. The smoothness may set it apart a little, but really, it seems fine to me. The level of detail/ridges makes it look very armor-ish. I would, however, use different thighs and upper arms. I love that tecnique in general (actually, I really love it in this MOC as well, it's just the contest issue that makes me question it) but they really don't match up with the Bionicle look. If you were to change it, though, you may have a harder time because you used the boat stud knees and elbows. Again, though, as a stand-alone MOC it's really spectacular.
Thanks! It's normally thanks to some HF or system pieces, they're pretty useful for creating that smooth texture. Glad you noticed the proportions, it was a more subtle aspect of the MOC. I originally wanted there to be 1 stud of distance between the connectors in the thighs, but the change in thickness didn't really look good =/ Understood, spindlyness isn't exactly prominent in the Bionicle universe. It actually wouldn't be all that hard (at least for the legs), the difficulty would be more with the upper arms. Thank you.
You can't rush perfection? Also Bionicle is basically built on the technic system of pegs, axles, and holes. Anyway, I've seen ton of MOC's that have used both only BIONICLE and only System, and it doesn't take too much to combine them. Lego Bricks are meant to be mismatched with each other- it's the basic fundamental of building. It's like saying you can't make a City MOC without using parts from Castle, or a BIONICLE MOC with no HERO Factory. And effort is a nice thing to have in an MOC by the way.Now onto your MOC. I very much like it's flow. The torso seems wonderfully built. The use of pipes adds a nice texture. I also love how you used the shoulder pads sideways. Most people would leave it there with a large gap, but you nicely filled it in with room for articulation! As said in the notes, the right hand could use a bigger flame. The upper legs, I understand the skinniness is to match with the forearms, but it looks a tad overdone on the thighs. I'm not sure whether it's too long or too skinny. However the shins are absolutely marvelous. The feet maybe could've been executed better. I'm all for '01 feet, but the way they look on here is a bit small. I would've liked perhaps a two-toed type of foot, or maybe one that looks intricate. Due to this being in a fire contest, I guess I'll comment on that. The fire theme is definitely present here, but I don't know how I feel about the small amount of fire in this. I only see 3 fire themed features here, being his 2 weapons, and the gas mask. I feel maybe the use of a secondary color used in small proportion would've fit, you know, sort of a firey finish. But over all, I think this will definitely make it past the prelims!Oh and I love the head <3
Thanks for helping bro.Glad you like the torso. Yeah, those shoulder armor bits do have some articulation, I didn't really need much anyways, so I was fine with the restriction :) Yeah, spindlyness is a love or hate aesthetic, it's a bit more abstract then the norm I guess. Haha, you must've read my mind, I originally wanted to do some kind of two toed foot, but I just didn't have enough time to make a design that really looked good for it =/ I was thinking of adding more color, but felt that the black itself would have done well to represent soot, which I felt was fitting. But, you're right, a touch of red or trans-orange wouldn't have hurt. Glad you like the head, it's pretty much the high point of the whole MOC.Thanks for the review Daiker :)