Question About The Barraki Before The Pit

Prior to the Pit, we know very little about the Barraki. It is possible that they had Kanohi powers, but all we know for certain is that they are the only members of their species that we have seen in the story (as Cederak said), so it is possible that they could have wielded Kanohi powers. The only real thing we know about any of their species is that Ehlek's species lived in the waters around Zakaz and all of the members of the species were given Tri-Talons by the Order of Mata Nui, and we know roughly what they looked like (like Ehlek without his spines, or at least that's what Ehlek looked like). Also, we know that Takadox had powers over hypnosis, but they were much weaker than they were after his exposure to Pit Mutagen:

Takadox became a monstrous, mantis-like creature, and his powers of hypnosis increased exponentially.
So, to sum up, the only powers that we know of is that Takadox had weak hypnosis powers and Ehlek had his Tri-Talons (if you classify that as a power). Edited by Infrared

As the above posts said, we really know very little about what the barraki were like before they were mutated in the pit. We can guess at a few things though.I would assume that they were all pretty powerful to begin with. They were six elite commanders, able to control armies and make threats to the Brotherhood of Makuta. beings without a lot of power generally don't do that. The nature of their foirces also points to this - the League's soldiers were undisciplined, rogues and outcasts from all across the universe. half of these probably wanted to take the league's power for themselves, so it stands to reason that the barraki were powerful enough to withstand the odd coup attempt and to keep the rif-raf in line.I would guess that the pre-pit barraki were at least as powerful as toa, maybe more.

ppg2.png

I do recall Greg saying a long while back, probably in the first half of 2007, the Barraki had the mental capability to use Kanohi, but didn't because they saw them as a crutch. So no, they didn't have masks, but they were capable of using them.

rahkshi_symbol.png

I recall it mentioned that Pridak was the "peak of physical perfection" in City of the Lost. So he probably had a lot of physical strength, and was good-looking. And given the word picture about his thought process in that that scene, probably pretty smart, too. All of these things are what generally attracts the loyalty of the masses.

I doubt it. They definitely weren't of the Matoran/Toa/Turaga species, Kanohi were never mentioned when referring to them, and only Matoran and certain Rahi I think are known to wear them, so yeah.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I found this on the old forums.

7.) Can the Barraki use a mask power? (Do they have the mental discipline7) Possibly, but I doubt they would if they could. In their minds, relying on a mask power is using a crutch. While they will use weapons, their true strength is their minds and their limbs and their ability to rule. A hero who depends on his mask and weakens if it's taken off is contemptible in their eyes.
Here's the link.I thought that it was said that they could wear masks, maybe he confirmed that later, but this just says why they didn't.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

If they did, they'd still have mask powers in the Pit, like the Mahri.
True. The Pit Mutagen still let the Mahri have Kanohi powers. But maybe because they were already wearing masks when they were mutated.
As others have said, I recall reading somewhere that the Barracki could use Kanohi Masks, but chose not to because they saw it as something beneath them.
Kinda like the Piraka?

Nuparu1995

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

True. The Pit Mutagen still let the Mahri have Kanohi powers. But maybe because they were already wearing masks when they were mutated.
It's a common misconception that Mutagen mutated the Mahri. But it was the Mask of Life which did it, making them immune to the mutagen in the process.

Since the Barraki (especially Pridak) were pretty set on retrieving the Mask of Life to reverse their mutations, they likely were able to use Kanohi pre-Pit. That, or they (again, especially Pridak) were so desperate for a way out of the Pit that they'd take any lead they got. Which there would be very few of.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

As others have said, I recall reading somewhere that the Barracki could use Kanohi Masks, but chose not to because they saw it as something beneath them.
Kinda like the Piraka?
Kind of. Most Skakdi lack the mental discipline to use Kanohi Masks. (According to BS01) For the ones that can, however, I imagine they wouldn't use Kanohi for the same reason as the Barracki.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It's a common misconception that Mutagen mutated the Mahri. But it was the Mask of Life which did it, making them immune to the mutagen in the process.
But it mutated them in a similar manner that the mutagen would have. The mutagen would have allowed them to keep their old mask powers, like Lesovikk, Karzhani (or however you spell it), aaand... well, that's all the examples I've got off the top of my head.

Kinda like the Piraka?
Most Skakdi lack the mental discipline to use Kanohi, but the Barraki don't use them because they find them to be a crutch.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

But it mutated them in a similar manner that the mutagen would have. The mutagen would have allowed them to keep their old mask powers, like Lesovikk, Karzhani (or however you spell it), aaand... well, that's all the examples I've got off the top of my head.
If Lesovikk was able to keep his old mask power the way that Karzahni was, then the Pit Mutagen probably wouldn't have changed the Mahri's mask powers, which the Mask of Life did. If it didn't change Lesovikk's or Karzahni's powers, then, if the Barraki had masks, they probably would have had them in the pit, with their existing powers. But they didn't have mask powers in the Pit, indicating that they did not have them when captured, for the reasons outlined above.

Consider also the Makuta Mistika. They fell into the Mutagen in the Karda Nui swamp and they still kept their Kanohi powers. So yeah, if the Barraki wore Kanohi, they would have had them on at the time they were mutated and either kept their powers or had them fused to their faces like Karzahni.

Nuparu1995

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I'd assume that the Order of Mata Nui would have confiscated any of the Barraki's Kanohi before imprisoning them. Unlike any other known Kanohi-wearers, who went into the Pit for reasons other than incarceration.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!