5:1 Scale Tahu's Fire Sword

rsz_entry_picture.jpgI scaled it to be five times as large as the Lego element. Not quite life-sized, but big enough to swing around and feel cool. I worked hard to make it very sturdy, and you can swing it around however you may wish without fear of it breaking. Hopefully this video will prove it, if I have it working right.[media=400,300]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=44218573&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1.swf[/media]C&C much appreciated. Remember to vote for this in BBCC #63!Oh, and if anyone who knows how to do that sort of thing would be willing to make a banner for me, I'd be really thankful. As you can see from the entry pic, picutre editing isn't my forte. Just PM me and we'll discuss it. Edited by Lego Obsessionist

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Well, this puts me out of the contest, no doubt about that. Taking a classic weapon and turning it into a masterpiece of Technic awesomeness? It's just too great! Perfect alignment in the separations and holes, and an actual flame look practically clench victory for you here and now. And you just got by the rule by making it a canon object rather than a character. Even the tubes are right! Best of luck in the contest, man!

Edited by Poutwuw Toa of Diversity

LlqByyh.png

I always love how people take System pieces to create large-scale versions of Bionicle models. :)But how did you stabilize something that big to where it wouldn't break when you swing it?

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Wow, you've done a positively brilliant job of this! I absolutely love the idea of sculpting using liftarms, and the hilt part is just too great.Instantly recognisable, I hope this goes far in the contest.- FtC

Edited by FeeFee

I have an old Flickr account here

Previously Feefeeri/Felix the Cat

I MOC sometimes

I'm not such a fan of the flame, but I don't think it would be possible to do anything more accurate without using system, which would make it very fragile. The hilt is glorious, though. It really captures the essence of the original. Great work.

This might be the coolest hottest and unique entry I've seen so far! As people above said, the hilt is incredible. The flame is actually really accurate too. and of course the best part is that it's big and sturdy enough to swing around.:D

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

Thanks all!

I like it! It's very recognizable, and looks great, too. It's a bit square, but that can't be helped.
Thanks! I the early stages of building, I considered using more curved pieces, like Bionicle armor and such, on the flame, but that would make it very fragile, particularly with ball joints.
I always love how people take System pieces to create large-scale versions of Bionicle models. :)But how did you stabilize something that big to where it wouldn't break when you swing it?
Actually, there's next to no system pieces in this, just a couple cheese slopes and 1x1 bits to fill in the hilt. I stabilized it with lots and lots of Technic beams and connectors.
I'm not such a fan of the flame, but I don't think it would be possible to do anything more accurate without using system, which would make it very fragile.The hilt is glorious, though. It really captures the essence of the original. Great work.
I think the main thing the flame needs is two or three layers of technic beams to represent the more textured actual element. But, beyond the extra weight that the hilt might not support, it would require at least twice the red technic beams. As-is, it stretched my red technic collection to the absolute limit- I was using Bricklink to calculate how many parts I had to work with and careful placing the most useful/rare one at the end.

Fantastic work! The hilt is perfect, and the flame/sword portion is good too. However, I wonder if lots, and lots, and LOTS of red 7mm ribbed tubes would have worked better to make the flame. It is impressive what you have done with liftarms, but it looks ... pixelated. I bet using 2 x 1 or 3 x 1 red Technic liftarms with red tubes could accomplish a better flow, and remain sturdy (it probably would flex side-to-side, but it would stay together).Anywhoo, truly amazing MOC.a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

This actually looks pretty accurate although if it's possible, there should be those two holes on the handle. Great job on the details on this one!
Thanks! I would be possible to put two holes in the handle, but firstly, I didn't feel it was necessary. I was less trying to upsize the Lego element than make a large Tahu's Fire Sword- thus the handle being a comfortable handle rather than an upsized + connection. I feel that the peg holes are only really there for connections in the Lego system, not as a canon attribute of Tahu's sword. I did replicate them in a more realistic way, though, because I felt that the actual sword would have something like them. Secondly, though, holes there would eliminate the main structural elements of the hilt.
Fantastic work! The hilt is perfect, and the flame/sword portion is good too. However, I wonder if lots, and lots, and LOTS of red 7mm ribbed tubes would have worked better to make the flame. It is impressive what you have done with liftarms, but it looks ... pixelated. I bet using 2 x 1 or 3 x 1 red Technic liftarms with red tubes could accomplish a better flow, and remain sturdy (it probably would flex side-to-side, but it would stay together).Anywhoo, truly amazing MOC.a_peace.png
Thank you! I debated different things for the flame, and in the end I felt this would be the best option. Firstly, I had bought two Axalaras and a Scopio, so I had (barely) enough beams to make it. Also, the beams give it a consistent, smooth look, while other options might look to greebled. The pixilation is a necessary sacrifice, but I feel like it's a suspension-of-disbelief type thing, in the same way that you kind of accept that large-scale Lego sculptures have exposed studs and square blocks. Your idea is pretty good, though, if very expensive. Any time you want to buy me the tubing to do it, feel free.

I love the design. The Flame is constructed nicely ans resembles the real thing. As soon as i saw it, I recognized it. The star of the show, however is the amazing hilt. Also, how is that so sturdy? Amazing how that works. Good luck in the Contest. :)~Gravity