Musical Instruments, In L D D Extended

bonesiii

Made these in spare time over a course of a few months. The original inspiration was some instruments in LEGO Universe.The scale on these is technically a little larger than minifig, and on a few, pieces are actually floating and would need glue or the like for actual plastic (it's a standard rule of mine to allow this if necessary to get the best look).Whole collection (click for larger):aa_musical_collection_thmb.pngHere's the specific instruments, in the order made:Cello:cello_and_bow.pngOboe:oboe.pngBassoon:bassoon.pngThe mouthpiece is floating.French Horn:french_horn.pngThe telescope piece is floating.Tuba:tuba.pngNOTE: The exact shape of the many curves in this isn't very accurate and I admit it's kinda chaotic, but this one was an attempt to do a brass instrument with no floating, and it succeeded, amazingly. Consider those parts to just be representing the complex part of a Tuba.Snare Drum:snare_drum.pngCongas:congas.pngViolin:violin_and_bow.pngXylophone:xylophone.pngFlute:flute.pngElectric Guitar:electric_guitar.pngThis is an improvement on LU's simpler version, which was brilliant, but not quite as close to the sharper form of many actual e-guitars.Banjo:banjo.pngPiano:piano_with_bench.pngObviously this is the biggest by far. Here's views of the piano and bench separately, and of the back. If you view it from its left side as in the piano-only image the keys do not look hollow on the side, more like actual keys. The key system is inspired by an organ in the pirates world of LU and (an improvement of) the keyboard at the Red Blocks concert.Harp:harp.pngThe strings are half-connected (at the top) and half-floating. The harp's two main components separated are shown here. (I just now noticed one of the pieces is the wrong brown, but too lazy to fix it right now. :P NOTE: It's fixed in the LDD file linked at the end of this post.)Trombone:trombone.pngThis and the Trumpet were by far the hardest to make, because I could find no properly connected way to make the narrow U-turn curves. There was the Technic tube-curve (used as the mouth of the Saxophone) but that was far, far too huge since I was trying to stay closer to minifig scale. Finally I used two of the ninety-degree-turn tooth pieces carefully lined up by a later-deleted framework to imitate that shape. Thus the Trombone is actually in three floating parts.Also, the version with the slide in uses the smaller lightsaber blade piece than the slide-out version; there isn't really much room to slide the pieces.Accordion:accordion.pngI don't really like this -- whether the real thing or my MOC, I basically just threw it in as a minute-made MOC just to have a wider range of instruments.Guitar:guitar.pngLyre:lyre.pngBagpipes:bagpipes.pngTrumpet:trumpet.pngJust like the Trombone, the U-turns are floating hooked teeth arranged to look like a single piece if you don't look too closely. LEGO actually has a single-piece Trumpet but it appears they have removed it entirely from LDD (or maybe I'm just remembering wrong and it was never there; there is a weird version of a trumpet in it; I know a normal Trumpet piece exists 'cuz I have it in plastic).Saxophone:saxophone.pngLike the French Horn, the telescope pieces are floating. Also this isn't as accurate as I would have liked; the end should bend at more than a ninety-degree angle; some are full U-turns, but some are less so and this is meant to evoke the least curved versions. All alternatives I tried looked awful.In my LU printscreening project I got shots of three of the instruments that inspired these MOCs. Here's cropped images of them for reference: Electric Guitar, Keyboard, Organ. Apparently I forget the drumset, but here's one from another site: Drumset.Here's the LDD file if anyone wants it.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Nice work, Bonesiii. I'm impressed. And you've included so many; it's a good variety. So this has been how you've kept busy and what you've used as a creative outlet for the past couple months, huh?...I'd say, time well spent! Thanks for sharing.~Shioi :)

shioibanner1.gif ............WWwww

That's actually really creative. That piano oh, I said a leet word - contact a moderator to take proto from me!, btw. :D

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I love the selection bonesiii, I'm blown away. I'm amazed how accreate the piano and the trombones were. I also loved how yu threw in some knick knack instuments in there to such as the accordion, the bagpipes, and the congas. Love tha tuba and saxophone. ^_^~Gravity

The detail is amazing, especially with the oboe's reed. I would have made the screwdriver tan, but these are all amazing anyway.

The detail is amazing, especially with the oboe's reed. I would have made the screwdriver tan, but these are all amazing anyway.
That's a good suggestion. I modeled most of these after specific colors schemes of images I found online and most had a big variety, so I just picked one. But yeah, tan probably would look better. I think in that case I just used the same colors as the image that showed the best detail of shape.Thanks to you and the others who've replied so far! Glad to know yall like 'em, and there's any more suggestions fire away. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome! That piano is excellent. The detail on it is just so good. I also like the use of the whip on the tuba. Very nice.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 3 weeks later...