Toa Gali Mata Drawing

SolitaryHyena

I tried drawing Gali Mata, so Here it is.The inspirtation for the backround I got from MNOG2 Here.Overall, I kind of like it but I feel theres lot of things wrong with it that could have easily been done better, like with all my drawings. But, I am still just a amateur at art as of right now, let alone drawing bionicles. But..I tried and it turned out decent I would say, for my level.Anymore, constructive critism accepted, I would take any suggestions and what else to use to make bionicle drawings seem better.I used a pencil for sketching out the picture, and I used pigment ink to ink the sketches. And black marker to color in the pure black things like the inside of the hut. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'm using hatching shading really good, and I'm also combining pencil shading with hatching shading which i'm not sure is working well, so, I'm not sure if this is why the art seems messy. What about screentones? Or are those only for professional use really? Anyways, like i said, all constructive critism accepted.Edit 7/2/12: I colored the picture, so here it is: http://fc02.devianta...195-d55s90p.jpg I was actually aiming to trying to make it perfect by filling in every pixel with color, i kind of accomplished that but then it seemed for a chore than fun I guess, so I did most of it and so here it is. I had to use the paintbrush tool also to color in single white/lighter/darker pixels and to color over the hatching shading lines. I also use painbucket which helped in ways too, so nothing really special, as I'm still just an a decent beginner. But this was all done in Gimp 2, and I'm satified with the result. But still, I accept constructive critism.Edit 7/12/12: Yay more CC, well yeup thanks all. I'll try it and use everything you told me, and I think you mean drawing from life. Yeup I do that too, but havn't thought about fruit yet, I guess I'll try that one day.Edit 7/13.12: I updated the colored picture a small amount. I gave gali some shading, and shaded the shadows a bit differently, so I just though I'd let you know. http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/195/2/3/gali_mata_by_kv195-d55s90p.jpg

Edited by Kv195

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

Actually, this is really good! Great use of shading, which happens to be my greatest weakness in art! Unlike most drawings these days, this stays true to the set and proves that set-style can be very expressive. It shows Gali at peace, her natural state, and the details are great. You could try coloring this, but as a detailed sketch without color, 10/10.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Actually, this is really good! Great use of shading, which happens to be my greatest weakness in art! Unlike most drawings these days, this stays true to the set and proves that set-style can be very expressive. It shows Gali at peace, her natural state, and the details are great.You could try coloring this, but as a detailed sketch without color, 10/10.
Really?! Thanks! I do agree with keeping it set-like, I mean human-like bionicles art is great, but i do prefer bionicles set-like with minor changes to show the artist's style. Yeah, I think I should try coloring it too, but...what program do you reccomend me using? Because to be honest, I'm not very good at digital art.
I suggest GIMP. First, in paint, use the fill tool to add basic, oneshade colors to the right parts. Then use GIMP for Select By Color and put in a pattern if you want texture, then colorize the pattern.
Alright thanks, I'll try but it'll probably take quite some time, since filling it isn't easy, some pixels has different shades other than white, so filling it doesn't fill in everything for me. >.< Edited by Kv195

Actually, this is really good! Great use of shading, which happens to be my greatest weakness in art! Unlike most drawings these days, this stays true to the set and proves that set-style can be very expressive. It shows Gali at peace, her natural state, and the details are great.You could try coloring this, but as a detailed sketch without color, 10/10.
Really?! Thanks! I do agree with keeping it set-like, I mean human-like bionicles art is great, but i do prefer bionicles set-like with minor changes to show the artist's style. Yeah, I think I should try coloring it too, but...what program do you reccomend me using? Because to be honest, I'm not very good at digital art.
I suggest GIMP. First, in paint, use the fill tool to add basic, oneshade colors to the right parts. Then use GIMP for Select By Color and put in a pattern if you want texture, then colorize the pattern.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is so good! I like the perspective where it feels like we are on a hill or up in a tree with a camara pointed at her and she very well knows it. It's like she is looking riiight at us knowing what we're up to (which is, of course, taking her pic). lol.Anyway, the shading is nice. Good hatchmarkin' going on there I see in a few sections. And good for you in finding a source for the background and then changing it up to your liking, but, keeping with the feel of the original.Thank you for taking me a little bit into her world. That's the wonder of art. Your scene here accomplishes that for me. Keep drawing!~Shioi :)

Edited by Shioi
shioibanner1.gif ............WWwww

A great drawing; I love the background. My only complaint is gali's waist; it seems very... large.
This is so good! I like the perspective where it feels like we are on a hill or up in a tree with a camara pointed at her and she very well knows it. It's like she is looking riiight at us knowing what we're up to (which is, of course, taking her pic). lol.Anyway, the shading is nice. Good hatchmarkin' going on there I see in a few sections. And good for you in finding a source for the background and then changing it up to your liking, but, keeping with the feel of the original.Thank you for taking me a little bit into her world. That's the wonder of art. Your scene here accomplishes that for me. Keep drawing!~Shioi :)
Alright, thanks everyone! Well, I did as TNG prime said and tried coloring it, so here it is: http://i459.photobuc...licolored-1.jpg I think it looks a bit, plain for some reason, but let me know what you all think. :) Edited by Kv195

Interesting. I like the way she looks in the uncolored version better, actually. I like the way her head looks in this. Her eyes really capture the "Gali stare" that I've been accustomed to seeing as a kid in online videos and in the set itself. I'm not too fond of the lower half of her torso. It seems a bit out of proportion in regards to the rest of her body. That aside, the rest of the detail with the torso, arms and hands are impressive and very set-accurate (well, aside from the fingers that is :P) Other than that, the shading on the lily pad looks off. An easy way to study shading, in my opinion, would just be to compare what you drew to your study drawing (the background image from MNOG) and also compare that to real-life objects as well. Personally, I'd recommend slicing a lemon, orange or lime in half and try drawing/painting what you see (this is easier with a digital medium or paints in my experience). Additionally, basic drawings and paintings of every-day items could help with shading. From simple items like a coffee mug to more complex items like a Bionicle set. That aside, I do like the image a lot. ^^ It's a very nice piece of nostalgia from Bionicle's early years. Nice work.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Not bad. I always enjoy the simple black pen + cross hatching style, which is a plus. However, the leaf itself seems odd that it had almost no shading on it at all apart from the creases. That and some for the lines aren't very straight. They're kind of wiggly at some parts. I also think gali might have a little bit of extra shading on her, and that the sea should have more detail as well. Those black spots in the water seem.... odd. While I love the perspective of which you are seeing gali (adds some character as it's sort of a candid shot), the rest of the background has an odd perspective. It's not wrong, but it's... off. I can't describe it. Also, I don't think she'd fit inside that hut. I aplogise for being negative, but while this picture isn't amazing, it's not bad either. It could use some work like I mentioned above. I love line art, and I am eager to see more pictures like this once you have mastered it. 6/10I know it seems low, but it's not :)

Majhost sucks

Fairly plain but well-shaded. Coloring is amazingly clear. 10/10. It helps bring out your art style, which I like.
Interesting. I like the way she looks in the uncolored version better, actually. I like the way her head looks in this. Her eyes really capture the "Gali stare" that I've been accustomed to seeing as a kid in online videos and in the set itself. I'm not too fond of the lower half of her torso. It seems a bit out of proportion in regards to the rest of her body. That aside, the rest of the detail with the torso, arms and hands are impressive and very set-accurate (well, aside from the fingers that is :P) Other than that, the shading on the lily pad looks off. An easy way to study shading, in my opinion, would just be to compare what you drew to your study drawing (the background image from MNOG) and also compare that to real-life objects as well. Personally, I'd recommend slicing a lemon, orange or lime in half and try drawing/painting what you see (this is easier with a digital medium or paints in my experience). Additionally, basic drawings and paintings of every-day items could help with shading. From simple items like a coffee mug to more complex items like a Bionicle set. That aside, I do like the image a lot. ^^ It's a very nice piece of nostalgia from Bionicle's early years. Nice work.
Nice job shading with the cross-hatching!
Not bad. I always enjoy the simple black pen + cross hatching style, which is a plus. However, the leaf itself seems odd that it had almost no shading on it at all apart from the creases. That and some for the lines aren't very straight. They're kind of wiggly at some parts. I also think gali might have a little bit of extra shading on her, and that the sea should have more detail as well. Those black spots in the water seem.... odd.While I love the perspective of which you are seeing gali (adds some character as it's sort of a candid shot), the rest of the background has an odd perspective. It's not wrong, but it's... off. I can't describe it. Also, I don't think she'd fit inside that hut.I aplogise for being negative, but while this picture isn't amazing, it's not bad either. It could use some work like I mentioned above. I love line art, and I am eager to see more pictures like this once you have mastered it.6/10I know it seems low, but it's not :)
Thanks everyone for your CC, I'll definitely try and improve, yeah I think I should have worked harder on the background, kinda just halved it to be honest, but whats done is done now, I'll try and give more attention to the background, and overall piece like Gali's lower torso as well, I didn't notice before but now that you mentioned it, it does seem a bit big for her body. Yeah, I do draw from life as well, from watches and electronics, even animals sometimes from photographs, so on. So I should improve as time goes on, but still thanks for the advice.Also sorry for another update on the picture, I did update the colored picture a small bit. It's not much, I gave Gali some shading, and the shadows are a bit different and darker, also a couple of shines on Gali, but I though I'd let you know. I'm not really sure how shading with color pallets work well yet, but I tried. Here's the updated image: http://fc05.devianta...195-d55s90p.jpg Edited by Kv195