• [*]
The Points System. This started with Lazok's "Story Fit" if anyone remembers. They were then brought over to other writing clubs, until becoming "Achievements" in the Ambage. In the long run, they don't really mean all that much--but just as Lazok intended, they're really just supposed to more motivation to write more. But we've noticed that they haven't been used that much, so we're asking you: Do you guys like the achievements? Do you want them to stay, or would you rather we get rid of them?

I think the points system is extraneous and unnecessary, but I wouldn't mind still keeping track of achievements.
  • [*]
The "ranks." Again, they don't really mean much, but in the spirit of achievements, they were just supposed to be more "Achievements" to get, modeled by Cederak after video game achievements. So same questions, really: Do you want them to stay, or should we get rid of them?

I'm ambivalent toward the ranks. No one uses them or really cares about them at the moment, but they could be adjusted to fit with a non-point-based system of achievements: e.g. based on the number of achievements you've earned rather than your sum of points. (The less math involved in the Ambage, the better, right?)
  • [*]
The contest prizes. I realize I've been dropping the ball on this, and I really apologize. But, if people want them, I'll definitely make sure to keep on top of them. Do you guys still want the fortnightly contest prizes? If so, all of them, or just some of them?

I've never competed in a Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest, but I like the list of prizes. I say we should keep them.

• Points/Achievements/Ranks

I personally like the point system, but I can see room for improvement. Ultimately I don't think there's as much of a compelling urge to actually do these things because, and here I'll go into achievements, it doesn't mean much. Now, granted, it shouldn't. But at the same time it should. It's a confusing little zen riddle but I think the best way to describe it is like some of the better video game achievements. You undertake this hard to do quest, do these certain things, grab these certain items, and after your hard work you get a little notification saying "congrats, achievement get: wasting your time on video games." Now most people would either laugh at that or say "BLARG EVEN THE GAME SAYS I'M WASTING MY TIME."

If it were more intelligently phrased as "Achievement Get: Going the Extra Mile", most people would clap themselves on the back and say "Good work me, I did something cool today." Both of these situations are the exact same thing. You did the exact same thing, and as a result, you got the same achievement. But some clever wordplay and suddenly while that achievement doesn't actually mean anything in concrete terms, it now means something to you.

Now, I'm not saying we need clever wordplay in the achievements, there's plenty of that already. What I think should be implemented, and as always just my personal opinions on this, is an improved title system. I don't have time to right up the exact mechanics on the spot or bugtest everything, but I'm envisioning something like this. Someone participates in... ten Skype write-offs. They write three sci-fi short stories. They also write three poems. To top it off they've reviewed five stories. Their title, then, would come out to be something like this: Critical and Swift Poetic Science Writer. I could probably replace 'science' with something better, but it's just to demonstrate.

How would this work? Well, much like the current point/achievement system, but modified. You'd have, instead of broad point categories, more specific categories with more specific 'points'. You'd keep tally of what you wrote, and that would be what changed your title. Take the above example for instance.

"Critical and Swift Poetic Science Writer."

Let's break this down. First you have Critical, which refers to the number of reviews done. Let's say this is the chart that refers to what you get:

• One review: Investigative
  • Five reviews: Critical
  • Ten reviews: Analytical
  • Fifteen reviews: Systematic

And so forth. How would, say, larger reviews fit into this? Surely we don't want someone posting fifteen hundred word reviews suddenly seeming akin to someone who posted long, well thought out reviews. In that situation there's a few options, ranging from making a review a certain amount of words (1 review=150 words, so a 300 word review=2 reviews) to adding yet another point division for bigger reviews, changing your "Critical" to "Bite-sized Critic" or "Medium Critic" or somesuch.

Point being, it'll require a bit more than five minutes thought to get the wordplay right, but I think it has promise. Having a title that's actually indicative of what you makes the experience much more involved, and you're always shooting for the next rank, to become a master of your chosen genre(s).

It is somewhat complicated to explain just sitting here, so I'm going endeavor to write a blog entry fully detailing and explaining the system I'm thinking of.

• Fortnightly Contests

I think that the idea for them is sound, though as a guy who doesn't write much Bionicle anymore, I think it should be more OTC based, but that's just me being picky. It removes that Bionicle aspect from it and thus hurts those who do write Bionicle fanfic. So I'm content with their current situation, though it'd be nice if they were weekly instead of biweekly =P

• Prizes

I don't particularly care about the prizes myself. xD

• Anthology

I'm going say... sci-fi, even though I've written zero of those xD

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Haha, so you kind of just said my opinion on the points in general, Alex. When I was typing out the questions, the answer that immediately came into my head was "keep the achievements, maybe not the points/ranks." Because they definitely don't distract from our purpose at all--the whole purpose of the club is to write and bring writers together as a community. If something like points helps with that, then it actually helps our purpose.But really the thing you said about "they have to mean something, yet not mean much" is exactly how I've been feeling. You really do have to find the fine line, or else they're just pointless video game achievements, as you said. Personally, though, I like the idea of the achievements (again, maybe not points/the ranks we have, but the achievements themselves) because they don't mean a whole lot, but they are fun ways to focus your writing. Even now, having the most points really doesn't mean much.So I definitely like your idea of changing the "ranks." Like you said, it'll take time, but if other people agree with you, I'm sure Nuile and I would be willing to spend the time to get it done.As for the Fortnightly Contests...I agree with you. =P But we get equal--if not more--entries for the Bionicle contests, and considering this is a writer's club on BZP...they'll stay for now. =PAnyway, thanks to everyone for suggestions anthology "themes"--I'll be taking everyone's suggestions and putting them into a poll this weekend so that we can all vote on which one we'll use. And thanks for all your responses for the questions as well.newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Hum not really much to say just a few things:It seems not many people care about the archievement system anymore, well just because of they don't care :) .If more members would actually use it people will say: "Hey it does matter about that system, I better start reviewing and such" I personally love it but like with all thise things it way more fun if you can show it to someone who cares. Also I suspect many members just think it doesn't work anymore due to novody ever scoring any archievements.For tha book I'd like poetry(don't ask me why) or Fantasy.

Edited by Dual Matrix

I'm back!

I actually wouldn't mind a mystery oriented anthology, because I've been having the urge to write mystery stuff recently. Now an opportunity has arisen to take that challenge head-on!

As for the achievments, points, and ranks... I don't really care for them. If we could maybe create something similar to replace them with a sole focus on the writeoffs (and perhaps the flash fiction contests), that might work. Each rank could mean you've participated in a different number of writeoffs.

-ibrow

With regards to the Anthology I think a lot of good suggestions have been made. My top choice is mystery, but I wouldn't oppose noir in general or science fiction. Well, I wouldn't oppose anything really, I don't think.

Legolover voiced my essential thoughts on the points and ranking system. I think they were a good idea but they haven't worked out. They're a little impractical and really not worth while. At the same time, I can't help but quote the great philosopher Calvin in his justification of applying a number to everything you do: "If your numbers go up, it means you're having more fun." But is it fun? Or is it just work?Right now gathering your achievements is more of a laborious chore. I don't think proof should be required. We should trust to people's honesty and let cheaters be cheaters, though I doubt if we'll meet many if any of those. Legolover also raised another point I agree with; maybe the rank system could be modified to eliminate points. In any case, one way or another something needs to be changed about this system.

I think contests are sound and don't need improvement; except in that we need to be more consistent in awarding prizes.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Hey, in case anyone's interested, I have been hosting on behalf of KanohiJournal a writing contest in the Storyline and Theories forum, Lesovikk's Hiatus. The contest, unlike its original incarnation, is fanon, likely never to be approved as canon.I recently had to extend the entry deadline to a potential late April / early May ending. In the interests of spreading the word, I am posting this here in case any of you writers have not heard of the contest and would be interested in either entering or volunteering to judge one of the categories. Velox said I could post about the contest here since this topic is meant to serve as a writing topic in general.

Just a question. When will the next writing prompt be out?

March. We have a new one each month; we didn't have a new one for February because we were fond of January's and nobody seemed to use it. We hoped another month would give more people a chance. But as I say, we'll have a new prompt in March.

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

I would like to join this dignified collection of intelligent authors. I may occasionally contribute some writings perhaps.

NoNoNoNoNonNO

You misunderstood me

You didn't hear what I said

You're not listening LIKE MOST AMERICANS

-Arin Hanson

HELLOOOOOOOOOO FELLOW HUMANS!As an official Ambage staff member* I'm here to present a formal writing challenge to both member and non members alike.

ambagebanner.png(please note the banner which took me like six minutes with Paint and a tiny trackpad)

This challenge will test your limits as a writer! You will be forced to push the boundaries of humour and tragedy in an emotional rollercoaster of a story with this latest and greatest OFFICIAL AMBAGAGE WRITING CHALLENGE for your brain!The challenge is twofold:FIRST, WRITE A STORY ABOUT A FISH.But not just any fish! This must be...A BIONICLE FISH.HALIBUT DO NOT COUNT. SHARKS DO NOT COUNT. CARP IS JUST RIGHT OUT. THIS MUST BE A BIONICLE FISH.Second, and this is imperative! Your story must not be under twelve words long. If it is under this mandatory limit it probably doesn't belong in the library, unless it's an adorable haiku or poem or just a great story anyways. Put it in your signature if you're not sure about it.YOUR DEADLINE IS WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT. IF YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH IT POST IT IN THE LIBRARY. IF YOU'RE NOT, PM IT TO ME BECAUSE I WANT TO READ IT ANYWAYS.NO POINTS OR BADGES WILL BE HANDED OUT. THERE ARE NO PRIZES UNLESS YOU BRIBE ME WITH CANDY, IN WHICH CASE YOU'D BE BETTER OFF KEEPING THE CANDY FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE THERE WILL STILL BE NO PRIZES.YOUR MISSION, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, BEGINS NOW.

carplurking.png(yes this is actually a carp but don't tell the staff)

*the statement way up there is a complete lie. I just said it because it sounds official or whatever. Shut up.

True to my word, I'm entering. I hope I didn't miss that tight deadline. Gosh though, you're demanding. What an excercise it was to write more than twelve words!

I am submitting The Eye of the Storm, by yours truly, the link to which you can find by clicking the smiley in my sign-off.

February is gone and it is time for a new prompt.

March Writing Prompt

"A faint glimmer . . ."

Use it as a theme for your story, use it as an opening line, use it in the middle, at the end, twist the words--it's up to you. Just incorporate it into your story somehow. Let it inspire you.

Edited by Nuile: The Wiseguy

So we can use that line, on any story we make. That sounds easy enough, to write a whole story about that.

Well, if you prefer, I can make it a little harder next time. ;P

Edited by Nuile: The Wiseguy

Can someone explain to me what a faint glimmer means? I suppose glimmer means something like a small ray of light but I'm not sure. I'd love to enter a story once I'm sure about what I have to write.

That's pretty much the gist of it - the mental image I get is of a small ray of light in the darkness. Of course, there's no need to be literal - it could be a faint glimmer of hope, or what have you.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Attention, Ambage members:

The hosts have been working hard these past few weeks, and now it's time for me to announce some changes to the Ambage!

Division of Labor--the hosts have gotten together and divided the work between the four of us. We are also now having weekly meetings. This will help ensure that things get done better and more efficiently, in order to create the best experience we can for all of you.

Short Stories Review Pass--this Ambage feature has now moved to the Short Stories forum, thanks to the approval of Hahli Husky. We are hoping that with the better visibility, this feature will be utilized more. Remember, simply claim the story posted before you, post your own story for review, and then edit your post within a few hours with a link to your review.

Achievements--the achievements have recently undergone a re-envisioning. It was determined that they were entirely too serious and high maintenance and adjustments have been made. Most notably we are no longer using the points and ranks systems. Instead of tracking point earnings we will now be keeping track of how many achievements one achieves. These improvements were designed with the hope of making them easier and more enjoyable.

Skype rules--as the Ambage community continues to grow on Skype, we've decided that it's necessary to create clear-cut rules for everyone to see in order to make the Skype community as enjoyable and fun as possible for all writers. Please read these rules in the main post of the Ambage and adhere to them.

Published Anthologies--as promised, the newest Ambage feature has been implemented, and is open to all Ambage members. Check back in this topic soon for details on the next Anthology, as the next project will be started in just a few days. If you'd like to participate, make sure to join the Skype Ambage community.

Member List--in order to make the main post smaller, the member list (and number of members) will now be located in this blog entry.

If you have any feedback, we would be glad to hear it; feel free to PM Nuile or Velox or post your thoughts here in this topic.

newso1.png

Ladies and gentlemen of the Ambage, it is my pleasure to initiate work on the next published Ambage Anthology! Through the recent poll, BZPower members have decided that the overarching genre of this anthology will be Science Fiction. But we don’t have a title yet, or any stories for that matter, and that’s where you--Ambage writers--come in.

How do I participate?

Due to the nature of how the anthology is organized and managed, you will need to have access to Skype in order to participate (of course, you’ll also need to be an Ambage member, but that’s easy: simply post in this topic stating your intention to join). Once you have a Skype account, simply contact me via BZP PM or Private Chat and you will be added to the Ambage Anthology Discussion Chat on Skype.

Important: The wheels are already turning, so if you want to participate, you should contact me before the end of the day on Thursday, March 14th. Work on the Anthology will officially begin the following day.

You might be worried about your work not being ready for publication. Don’t sweat it! All stories will undergo a double round of workshops and critiques before the final deadline, so there will be plenty of opportunity for improvement and finessing. This is an event for the entire Ambage community, so we welcome anyone and everyone to participate.

What does participating entail?

As a participant, your responsibilities are two-fold:

(1) You must submit at least one story for the anthology, although you may submit more than one. The only restriction on the content of your story is that it conform to the Science Fiction genre. Otherwise, you’re free to go wild. As a general rule, we suggest a word count within the 500-3000 range, although this is pretty flexible.

(2) You must participate in both rounds of the workshops. Participation in the workshops involves replying to at least ~10 stories (this number will be specified later) by your fellow writers in each round. The first round is a general critique, after which writers will make revisions to their works. The second round works the same, using the revised stories from the first round. In each round, you should reply to the same set of stories so that you can provide some commentary on both the initial and revised versions.

What are the deadlines?

The following is a list of dates and deadlines for the different stages of the Anthology process. If you cannot meet the deadlines, we will have to remove you from the project--there is unfortunately no leeway for this:

March 15-April 5—Stories due. Any stories you want included in the Anthology are due by April 5th.

April 5-May 1—Workshop Round 1. During this period, all the stories will be workshopped. Your ~10 in-depth reviews must be given by May 1st.

May 1-May 10—Revisions. During this period, authors should revise their stories. The revised drafts are due by May 10th.

May 10-May 20—Workshop Round 2. During this period, you should re-read the ~10 stories you reviewed during Round 1 and provide some thoughts on the author’s revisions. Reviews are due by May 20th.

May 20-June 1—Final Stories Due. During this period, authors should make any last changes. All final drafts are stories are due by June 1st.

newso1.png

Edited by Velox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once it is time for the passing of a month, for the next to be reborn; it is time for . . .

"A new dawn"April Writing Prompt

Use it as a theme for your story, use it as an opening line, use it in the middle, at the end, twist the words--it's up to you. Just incorporate it into your story somehow. Let it inspire you.

Ok got a small question, does the Reviews in the Review Pass thing need to be SSCC style or just a simple review telling what you liked disliked and possibly a few improvements?

Just a simple review. Go into detail, of course, but all that means is to tell of what you liked, what you disliked, and what you thought could be improved, like you said.In essence, all we ask is that you bear in mind the sixth rule of the SS forum:

Criticism and praise in reviews must be constructive. Please refrain from posting generic replies like 'Do more!' or 'Keep up the good work!'. They are considered to be void of any meaning, and therefore are spam. Only saying "This was stupid!" or "Wow, this is awful." is also considered spam. Don't forget our zero tolerance for flaming and trolling, as well.

As long as you're following this rule and not posting one-liner reviews like "This was awesome and I have nothing bad to say about it" or "This was terrible and I can't find a single thing to praise," you're good. If it's awesome, tell them why; if you think it's terrible, explain.

Edited by The Novelist Called Nuile

I would like to join the Ambage.

A graduate student at Trinity/Computed the square of infinity.\But it gave him the fidgets/To put down the digits,\So he dropped math and took up divinity.

May I join the Ambage?

I have a few exams next month and I'm working on a project but I'd like to be part of this community if I can. *hopeful little smile*

~KH~

wikinuibanner.jpg

I'll take your part

When darkness comes

And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down