Actually a quick question about that. Let's say I've done some of these things before the Ambage got started, like writing five CoT stories. Do I count that in? Or should I count only the CoT Stories I've written after the Ambage began? Same with reviews and such?
Nothing counts that occurred before the Ambage. That may change at a later date, but for now, that's the rule.

Actually a quick question about that. Let's say I've done some of these things before the Ambage got started, like writing five CoT stories. Do I count that in? Or should I count only the CoT Stories I've written after the Ambage began? Same with reviews and such?
Nothing counts that occurred before the Ambage. That may change at a later date, but for now, that's the rule.
You posted on the fifth--this is the sixth . . . well, I guess that counts as a later date. :PYour personal record starts the day you joined the Ambage--or the BAG. As an example, Larxene there can't count anything except stories, reviews, et cetera that she posted yesterday or today. As another example, Velox and I can go back to May 19th. BAG members can find their date here.

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Challenge #3

Your Challenge: Write a Dream

Not the kind to which you aspire, but the kind that make you perspire, or the kind that puts a smile on your face all day, or the kind that makes you raised your eyebrows and ask your subconscious, "Where do you get this stuff?"

I don't mean literally write about a character dreaming. You may, but what I'm asking you to do is to take one of your dreams--you sleep every night, so you're bound to have on soon or late--and use it in your story, or base your story entirely upon it.

Story Starters:

Your prompt for this challenge is:

"His (or her) eyes closed . . ."

Ameliorate Your Privy Lexis:

evince v. 1 : to constitute outward evidence of

2 : to display clearly; reveal

glib adj. 1 : a marked by ease and informality; nonchalant

b showing little forethought or preparation; offhand

c lacking depth and substance; superficial

2 : marked by ease and fluency in speaking or writing often to the point of being insincere or deceitful

non sequitur n. 1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises

2 : a statement that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said

legerdemain n. 1 : sleight of hand

2 : a show of skillful or deceitful cleverness

Challenge due: September 10th (4 weeks). Next challenge will be posted in two weeks. Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I, Riisiing Moon, do here state my intention to join the Ambage, in sickness and in health, in rain or shine, until boredom do we part. I will devote my writing skills in their unfiltered entirety to its ranks, among which I will gradually climb until I emerge as its indisputable dictator. I wish my future minions much luck in the race to inevitable death beneath my pencil-equipped hand.Respectfully yours,--Lord Riisiing Moon

"I admire your style, which is colorful, if monochromatic."

Yes, I'm a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer,I am a pretender, I sit by the fire,While tales of uncharted new worlds I spin.Yeah basically sign me up. I'm not actually very good at this, but Aderia suggested I sign up so here I am. Maybe you all can help me improve?-CM

Challenge #4

]Your Challenge:[/b] Learn from: MusicA writer can get inspiration from anywhere and everywhere. A writer should study and explore all facets of life. A writer should be open to learn from anything and everything, for there is no end to what we can learn from the world. Knowledge is illimitable, as are its sources.What I want you to do is to learn from music, and incorporate those lessons into your writing. Music can have tone, beat, rhythm; words can take on all these same characteristics, and not just in song or verse. Words are your tools; let them be your instruments as well.You might think I want you to write a songfic, but it's not as simple as that. I don't want you to write alongside music, but with it. Write to the notes and to the melody. Let your reader hear the music in your words, without hearing it in a pair of headphones.There is little technicality I can lend here to the qualifications, but I'll set what parameters I can. For one, I would prefer it if you stuck to prose. Sognfics are absolutely fine, and in fact I will encourage you to not only incorporate the words, but to work with them, to write with them to the music. Beyond that, I can only instruct you to select a musical piece and listen to it on an endless loop until you're sick of it, but more importantly that you have finished writing your story to the tune.Now beat it, tune your pencils or keyboards, and strike up a verbal orchestra!Story Starter:"Do re me fa so la ti do . . ."Ameliorate Your Privy Lexis:
]segue[/b] v. to make a transition without interruption from one activity, topic, scene, or part to another
]cadence[/b] n. 1 : a a rhythmic sequence or flow of sounds in languageb : the beat, time, or measure of rhythmical motion or activity2 : a falling inflection of the voice, as at the end of a sentence.3 : the modulated and rhythmic recurrence of a sound, especially in nature
]coda [/b]n. 1 : a concluding part, as of a literary or dramatic work2 : something that serves to round out, conclude or summarize and usually has its own itnerest
]tattoo [/b]n. a rapid rhythmic rappingv. trans. to beat or rap rhythmically on: drum onv. intrans. to give a series of rhythmic taps

Due in four weeks; next challenge will be posted in two (and still two more weeks to enter the previous challenge!)

Edited by Velox

• 2 weeks later...

Challenge #4

Your Challenge: Gladness I think it is because sadness is the easiest emotion to portray. It is the most convenient emotion to explore. And, perhaps, it is the most relieving to put down on paper. But this week, let's not relieve ourselves of burdens, let's not pour out our sorrows or create sorrows for the hearts of our characters just for our cruel amusement. This week let's cheer ourselves, our characters, and our readers. Let's dive into happiness and sound its depths. This week let's not write because we're sad . . . let's write because we enjoy it, because we're glad to write. Let's harness the power of joy and respect its importance, and let's reflect that in our writing. Let's be happy!

Story Starters:

"In the silence after the rain . . ."

Ameliorate Your Privy Lexis:

]lilt[/b] v. trans. to say, sing, or play (something) in a cheerful, rhythmic manner

v. intrans. 1 : to speak, sing or play with liveliness and rhythm.

2 : to move with lightness or buoyancy

]cordate[/b] adj. shaped like a heart

]quotidian [/b]adj. 1 : everyday; commonplace

2 : recurring daily; diurnal

]consuetude [/b]n. custom; usage

Submission for challenge #3 is now open. You still have two weeks on #4. You will have until the end of this month to enter this challenge, which is a little shorter than usual. We have some new and revised features on the way that we're all looking forward to, and we hope that you will all enjoy them.

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

• 2 weeks later...
:kaukau: Huzzah, I'm a wimpy writer. Well, I guess I need these prompts. I don't know what I'd do without them. Well, I do. I would procrastinate. It's more that I don't know how I would prompt myself to continue my own writing and stay active.Meanwhile, I'm sure to get out of that wimpy zone, just because my ego couldn't handle it otherwise. Well, I have other reasons. I probably would have no interest if I didn't respect you as a peer, Velox.
olympic_rings_icon.png

The updates are here! We've got a lot of additions and changes, which I hope you find as exciting as I; but in case you're a little confused on certain points, allow me to offer explanations of what's new.The Fortnightly Flash-Fiction Contest is our first and most prominent new feature. It's a conglomeration of the fortnightly challenges and the write-offs, with steroids thrown into the mix. In essence, it's a perpetual version of the Flash-Fiction Marathon of June 2012 with a longer entry period. Most of the themes will be in the same style, while others will be more similar to the obsolete challenges.While this feature will be open to any and all members of BZPower with a pencil in their hand, Ambage members who win will receive their due perks: a review from our judge panel, and a spotlight in this topic.The monthly prompt will be a feature for any who desire a little inspiration. Like the "story starters" of the challenges, it will be a simple few words, the beginning of a sentence from which you can stem your ideas. There are achievements, and thus points, that can be gained through these; but on the whole, they're for your enjoyment. Take them and have fun writing your creative interpretation!Among the sustained features, the Review Passes will still be around. As always, any time you want a story reviewed you can take it there. Just read the most recent story requesting a review, offer your critique in its topic, then post your own request in the blog entry.Also continuing, the achievement and ranking system, which has been revised. Now, unless you want a dismal cipher beside your name, you are encouraged to claim the achievements for which you qualify, which you may do here in this topic.A new addition to that system are review tokens. For the first 100 points you earn, you will be awarded one; for every additional hundred, you will be awarded an additional token (e.g. two tokens for 200 points, three for 300). for every 100 points you earn you will be rewarded with one review token. You may redeem this at your leisure to receive one review for one story of your choice. These critiques will be given by our elite panel of contest judges.The Write-offs are to go on as usual, naturally. But they, too, are to receive a new feature: Workshops. These will be meetings held afterward for writers to get together and join forces to help, encourage and improve one another. The details of the events are still a little sketchy and this is not ready to be implemented today. But, after all, we don't want to overwhelm you guys all at once; we'll leave you something to look forward to.For all these great new features I'd like to thank all my fellow hosts: Cederak, 55555, Tolkien, and especially Velox. They've all done a lot for the Ambage, and they deserve all our gratitude for it. Thanks, guys!Any questions you may have are welcome here, or if you prefer your inquiries to remain unknown to the general populace, you may PM me or Velox.

Never stop writing, friends,

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

Edited by My Name is Nuile

Here are the Achievements I have obtained so far. Feel free to post your Achievements in a blog entry and link to that entry here as I did (if you're Premier); otherwise just make a post here. Point Total: 130 Points (Novice Novelist); 1 Review Token Follow suit and log your points! newso1.png

Edited by Velox

My achievements are logged here.Point Total: 160 points (Novice Novelist); One Review Token

I'll wait for my achievments, since I haven't really done anything in the Ambage thus far... it begins NOW.-ibrow
By Ambage rules though, you're still allowed to log any writing-based activity that qualifies you for achievements as far back as your join date (June 27). Besides, why pass up the chance to see if you're eligible for a Review Token? :)-Ced

Question: for achievments, could the same story count multiple times for achievments? For example, I just entered the fornightly contest - can I use it for the enter a contest achievment and the post a SS achievment?-ibrow
Absolutely. One story can qualify for separate achievements that it suits.

Point Total: 60, Wimpy Writer (correct?)
Correct. Fourty points more and you'll be at the next rank.
With great hope that I'll be able to participate as much as I'd like (likely not, but I'll try), I'm in if you'll suffer me!
It'll be torment, but we'll endure your participation. ;P Welcome to the Ambage.

• 3 weeks later...

AndreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewI totally logged my achievements but I didn't link to any of them because I'm too lazy to find them so thereTotal Points: 240-ish. I'm so prolific. If you don't like how I added them up you can try calculating again but I am bad with math so

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Hmm...I kept tallying up to 120 - minus the two achievements you slipped in at the end. That grants you a review token, however, despite being "too lazy to find them," you're not entitled to accept it until the achievements have been properly confirmed via links. Congrats on making Novice Novelist, Kakaru. :)-Ced

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably upgrade(?) update my achievment list, since I'm fairly certain I could get myself to more than 100 points now... First things first: what is a "substantial" comedy or epic? Do you just mean multi-chapters and completed?-ibrow

Edited by iBrow Voltex

Apologies for the delay on this, but NaNoWriMo has caused me to forget some things. Nevertheless, here is the November Writing Prompt. Remember, you can use this for any story -- contest, write-off, or otherwise -- to receive achievement points.

November Writing Prompt

"The wind died suddenly, as if ashamed of its late ferocity and the damage it had wrought."

Feel free to use that exact quote, or let it inspire you to write something else related.

Also, there have been two changes in the Achievements:

The Daunting Task - Post an epic or participate in NaNoWriMo. (15 Points)See it Through to the End - Finish an epic or complete NaNoWriMo. (45 Points)
We understand that you may not want to or be able to (i.e., to comply with BZP's guidelines) post your NaNoWriMo novel on BZPower, but you still deserve to receive the points for it.
First things first: what is a "substantial" comedy or epic? Do you just mean multi-chapters and completed?
I don't think substantial applies to an epic (pretty sure it's just "start one" and "finish one"), but for Comedy: it'd just have to be over 1000 words, if it's a single-post story, or several chapters. Let's say 3. newso1.png Edited by Velox

Is the monthly writing prompt a Bionicle prompt or is it open?
Open. It is entirely up to your imagination and the lead of your pencil, the ink of your pen, or the keys of your keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

In lieu of the Ninjago Contest, the Bionicle Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest is being temporarily postponed until the end of the contest. We will be having another COT Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest starting next Monday instead, however, so keep your eyes open. Remember to use the November Writing Prompt, and get on Skype if you haven't yet to participate in the twice-weekly Write-Offs. newso1.png