Lego Digital Designer

Meiko

Who has and uses LEGO Digital Designer. I do, and it is quite a fun program. What is your favorite mode; Design byME Mode, LEGO Mindstorms Mode, LEGO Universe Mode, or LDD Extended Mode?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I had LEGO Digital Designer once but never really used it. I know Dorek and I had to use it for Merrick Fortis 3.0.

The newest versions are pretty good. I think they have really improved it since earlier this year, and they've added a ton of new pieces. Also, one thing that I have really wanted is the body piece and some other 1.0 Hero Factory parts.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Oh, I love LDD. It's very entertaining and creative. I've designed my own Ninjago sets. :D But the best mode, in my opinion, is LEGO Universe. By far. (They have Inika and Piraka heads, along with some 2005 Knights Kingdom minifigure helmets!)

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

Oh, I love LDD. It's very entertaining and creative. I've designed my own Ninjago sets. :biggrin: But the best mode, in my opinion, is LEGO Universe. By far. (They have Inika and Piraka heads, along with some 2005 Knights Kingdom minifigure helmets!)

I use LDD Extended mode, because it has all those pieces and more. It has every piece that is available, and includes all of the colors, which includes colors that haven't been released in years! If you want to gain access to it, I'll gladly help you with it. Just send me a PM! I'm glad to help with that!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I love LEGO Digital Designer and use it about as much as physical bricks (since I'm up at college and thus away from most of my collection). I am an especially big fan of the Hero Factory parts palette, which is mostly comprehensive except for some third-wave villain set parts. There are bugs, as with any software, but it's a valuable enough asset to me that I am willing to work around them.I certainly prefer LEGO Digital Desginer to many third-party LCAD programs.

I certainly prefer LEGO Digital Desginer to many third-party LCAD programs.

Yeah, I downloaded LDraw a few weeks ago, but didn't like it that much (the layout was also terrible for my screen resolution, because 80% of my screen was comprised of toolbars. :P). Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I made a bunch of DXF files of parts, thinking I'd be able to put wok them into the program, but come to find out, LEGO Digital Designer doesn't use DXF formats (I kinda thought they wouldn't, but I tried anyways). :P I enjoy using LDD Extended Mode the most. I don't like that content like the welcome screen, and the parts of the color palette get cut off in my screen resolution though. My fix for getting colors cut off by screen resolution size is as follows:

• [*]Click the "Filter Bricks by Color" button[*]Find your color[*]Make the piece in that color[*]To restore the filter to the default color: Restore the window down (opposite of maximize) so that the window has bits that go under the taskbar (Windows Vista & Windows 7 only); Unlock the taskbar and drag it to either side of the screen (Windows XP & Windows NT 2000 only)[*]Now you can see the color the default color (red), click it, and you are back. Now maximize or reposition the taskbar, according to which you did previously.

Hope this helps for people with small screen resolutions like mine. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I have never used it, myself. In a way, I prefer concrete parts to play with, as just running pieces through my hands can be therapeutic. ~B~

I know exactly what you mean. I like to build architectural concepts on it sometimes though. It can get awfully annoying with ball joints though. :P Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I use LDD alot. I've built a hero factory set and I'm in the middle of building the batmobile.

My name is Riru. Fear me! Muhahahahaha....... wait, did I say that out loud?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

I talked to LEGO via a social networking site in which I cannot mention, suggesting the idea of an LDD Pro version. I said it would be more effective for designers who are more used to CAD programs like AutoCAD or Autodesk Inventor. They commented it saying that they'd pass the request on to the LDD team, so that may be something that we might see in the future. Anybody else like the idea?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I haven't been able to use LDD in months. For some reason, whenever I open it, I get a message saying something like "The file required for this has not been found." :( .

I'm assuming that you are using Microsoft Windows, because that is a common Windows error message. Either the folder, the program, or a DLL file (This one is very likely to be the cause) has been moved, renamed, deleted, or marked as a hidden file, or there was a glitch in the install or a Windows error keeping it from opening. You can go to your Control Panel and find "Add or Remove Programs" or the closest title to that. Find LEGO Digital Designer or LDD.exe and see if there is an option for "Repair". Follow those instructions, and this will most likely solve your problem. ;) If you are executing the application from a shortcut, then the shortcut may have a faulty destination. Check to see if the shortcut is linking to the exact destination. The easiest thing to do―as Aanchir said―would be to uninstall and reinstall the program. The way that the LDD install file works though, is that you don't need to uninstall it. Just launch the fresh install file, and it'll ask you if you want to reinstall the existing file I hope that this solves your problem! :)

Try uninstalling it and then re-installing it. That should solve the problem, I would imagine, unless your computer is missing essential graphics hardware or driver software.

It can't be the graphics card or a missing driver. If it says "The requested file cannot be found", then something has happened to an essential file to run the program. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Anybody remember LEGO Factory? :PLDD runs much better on my computer than LCAD, because my screen resolution is so small (1024 x 600). :P Half of the screen is toolbars just about (same problem I have in AutoCAD).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I need some help here. When I change the preferences to show brick outlines, when I restart LDD, it makes the bricks invisible. My operating system is Windows 7, 64-bit, and I keep LDD updated.

Your graphics card isn't equipped for that. I can tell you that right now. Not many people have the kind of graphics capabilities that that specific feature requires. It would usually grey out and disable that feature from the preferences though, so that is odd that you got that. Just go ahead and change it back. They are working on making that feature more compatible, because many people face that same problem.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Have and use it all the time. LU mode = best. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

LU mode = best. ^_^

Do you use LDD Extended Mode? It's just about the same, but it has every available color and every available piece. It is just about the same as LEGO Universe Mode used to be, but they updated it so that it is only pieces available in LEGO Universe (something like that). If you know how to edit the preferences.ini file to get LU Mode, then you can do LDDE Mode, except replace "LEGOUniverse" with "LDDExtended" in the file. ;) Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Well, I'm not entirely clear on that, but I guess now it's just normal LU mode. The preferences file on this computer only has "language=en" in it... I typed something in on another computer to unlock LU mode originally, but I forget how. :P (Is LU mode now standard, I take it??)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Is LU mode now standard, I take it??

Yes it is. Would I be allowed to post the activation key (it's not really a code, because it's words) here, or should I send it to you in a message?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, because it's all over the internet, and HEROsector01 posted it (I did that :D). Instructions can be found here.

ThemeAccess=LDDExtended

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Thanks, Meiko. Yeah, that's much better. Made a new av with it. :P Still not as many colors as they used to have. Sigh.

Thanks, Meiko. Yeah, that's much better. Made a new av with it. :P Still not as many colors as they used to have. Sigh.

No problem. :) That is a cool avatar. I looked at it and thought "How did he make a custom piece? This isn't LCAD!", but then I enlarged it a bit and saw the SYSTEM/TECHNIC combination. I like it.I'm pretty sure that the reason they removed a good deal of colors is because
  • [*]They haven't been in LEGO's palette in a long time;[*]They weren't really accurate in LDD (like the Glitter parts had no glitter molded in it), and[*]They were never used that often

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I have a question about LDD. I have installed it, but whenever I open it, the window for LDD constantly blinks. What I mean by that is the bricks on the opening model constantly rebuild themselves. Also, this little box that is asking me a question, which I cannot read because it is so blurry, constantly blinks every time I try to click on one of the options. It might be something to do with my OpenGL driver but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me with my problem? I would appreciate it! :) Please PM or reply.By the way, I have a Windows Vista, if that helps.Off-topic: Speaking of the OpenGL driver, I'm also having problems with that when I try to play Minecraft. Since the OpenGL driver seems to be the problem, does anyone know of a site that I can get a OpenGL driver update for free? Please send me a link if possible.

Have free time and wanna read a comedy? Why not read mine called Those Crazy Sets! or BarrakiLeader735's called Ask the Glatorian!

R.I.P Grandpa. You will be missed.

bionicle_sig2.png

I have a question about LDD. I have installed it, but whenever I open it, the window for LDD constantly blinks. What I mean by that is the bricks on the opening model constantly rebuild themselves. Also, this little box that is asking me a question, which I cannot read because it is so blurry, constantly blinks every time I try to click on one of the options. It might be something to do with my OpenGL driver but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me with my problem? I would appreciate it! :) Please PM or reply.By the way, I have a Windows Vista, if that helps.Off-topic: Speaking of the OpenGL driver, I'm also having problems with that when I try to play Minecraft. Since the OpenGL driver seems to be the problem, does anyone know of a site that I can get a OpenGL driver update for free? Please send me a link if possible.

Sounds like the driver to me (Explains all 3 situations). I don't know where to get the update though. If it's not:
  • [*]Change the rendering settings in "Edit --> Preferences" on LDD so that it isn't as graphics-intensive (I've experienced a similar problem in AutoCAD, and this worked there.) Take it out of compatibility mode if it is in it.[*]Change the ClearType text settings in your Control Panel[*]Check the Minecraft FAQ to see any similar situations and fixes.

Tell me if those work. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

That is a cool avatar. I looked at it and thought "How did he make a custom piece? This isn't LCAD!", but then I enlarged it a bit and saw the SYSTEM/TECHNIC combination. I like it.

I don't think there's any TECHNIC in it, unless you count the HF flames, which just connect to a hollow stud. Out of curiosity, which part looked like a custom piece to you? :P(I'd post a larger version, but this isn't SBC. Maybe I will over there sometime soonish...)

I'm pretty sure that the reason they removed a good deal of colors is because

• [*]They haven't been in LEGO's palette in a long time;[*]They weren't really accurate in LDD (like the Glitter parts had no glitter molded in it), and[*]They were never used that often

Yeah, probably. Still, I prefer having options even if they're rarely used; after all, what's it harming by having the option for different colors? Bricks take up a fair amount of software space I'd imagine but colors shouldn't. In fact, a great option would be custom colors, but that's probably just wishful thinking, heh.

That is a cool avatar. I looked at it and thought "How did he make a custom piece? This isn't LCAD!", but then I enlarged it a bit and saw the SYSTEM/TECHNIC combination. I like it.

I don't think there's any TECHNIC in it, unless you count the HF flames, which just connect to a hollow stud. Out of curiosity, which part looked like a custom piece to you? :P(I'd post a larger version, but this isn't SBC. Maybe I will over there sometime soonish...)
I sort of meant BIONICLE (Isn't that a Bohrok eye piece on the forehead area? Maybe I'm crazy. :P).The whole thing looked like a custom piece. :DI was also just looking at the avatar, and I saw the spinny, and I thought "LDD will provide great spinnies in the future". Maybe a Hero Factory one (because they have those in LDD and we've done all the years of BIONICLE).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Colors? You asking about colors? Never fear, all the colors that used to be on LDD (and more!) are available. They simply aren't in the regular color palette drop-down menu.During my time on another AFOL forum I put together a couple LDD reference files so that certain colors and decorations that are otherwise unavailable from the default menus can be accessed:
  • [*]
Here is the Complete LDD Color Chart. This includes all colors that LDD is able to render. Some colors render incorrectly, like the glitter colors Meiko mentioned or 20 Nature which should be milky white rather than transparent.[*]Here is my Decorations file. This includes all decorations on LDD that can be mapped to the correct pieces. There are some other decorations programmed into the software that cannot be used correctly because the parts they belong on have not been programmed with decoration surfaces. Needless to say I couldn't include those.

To use any of the colors from the color chart, just copy and paste them into a file where you want to use those colors and then use the eyedropper tool to sample them. To use the decorations, just copy and paste the parts you want into the relevant files.Note that I try to update both of these files whenever possible. There might be a few decorations or colors missing after a big LDD update, but as of right now these are still comprehensive.And yes, I know the color names are probably a bit confusing. The Peeron color chart cross-references the LEGO color names with color names used by other resources. There are some obscure colors not listed there, and I don't even know what some of them were ever used for in sets, but remember that almost anything in current sets will be in the default LDD color palette, and you're welcome to ask me about any particular colors that you want to use but don't know the names for (I may or may not have an answer).

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a question: I did the "LDDExtended" thing but it doesn't seem to work; all I get in the welcome screen is DesignByME, Mindstorms and Universe. Oh and the preferences.ini file only has "language=en" and "ThemeAccess=LDDExtended". Can someone help me with this?

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Hi guys,Anyone have pictures/screenshots of the 2 lego digital design starter models of Merrick Fortis(2.0 & 3.0) from Hero Recon team? I read that his 2.0 and 3.0 forms are starter models in LDD. I want to build him with Lego digital design or pick a brick and would like to make accurate representations of his 2.0 and 3.0 forms.Thanks.

Here's a question: I did the "LDDExtended" thing but it doesn't seem to work; all I get in the welcome screen is DesignByME, Mindstorms and Universe.Oh and the preferences.ini file only has "language=en" and "ThemeAccess=LDDExtended". Can someone help me with this?

Well, did you close LDD when you changed it? I can walk you through it in a PM if you need. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

It's ok now; I watched a video on that famous video website and now it's all good. The file that should be changed is the one in the Appdata>Roaming folder.

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Hi guys,Anyone have pictures/screenshots of the 2 lego digital design starter models of Merrick Fortis(2.0 & 3.0) from Hero Recon team? I read that his 2.0 and 3.0 forms are starter models in LDD. I want to build him with Lego digital design or pick a brick and would like to make accurate representations of his 2.0 and 3.0 forms.Thanks.

Better than that. Here are the LXF files:2.03.0It should be noted that the 2.0 model in particular is inconsistent with many depictions of him. Most pics of him will use the exclusive co-injected black and silver metallic chest piece from Hero Recon Team, as well as some differently-colored shell pieces.