Bad Luck With Collectable Minifigures?

<Reverb>

Well here's a backstory.Scenerio 1: Well, I wanted to pick up my FIRST ever Collectable Minifig. The series they had at the store ATM was series 5. So as I opened it, so excited to get something AMAZING, guess what I got? The pink Fitness Instructor with a purple boombox. :censored: Anyways, I just gave that to my sister.Scenerio 2: Today, I went to get a series 7 minifigure to test my luck. This is my second try. Well I picked one, but I found out that was "Ocean King" by feeling the package,but I wanted to get something better. So here I was in a hurry, so I ran and picked what I hoped was a lucky package. When I went to open it, I was SHOCKED. Guess what this one was? The Old Man Bagpipe Player. The one I wanted the least. Well, at least it wasn't as bad as the Fitness Instructor. :censored: So moving on. Have you had terrible Minifigure that you wanted the least from the start and ended up getting that one?~Gravity

Edited by Gravity Caiox

Nope. I "cheat" and feel the bags.I never blindly buy one.Well, there was a time when I got an Aviator instead of the Samurai in whatever wave (don't know how that happened). But the aviator turned out pretty cool, nonetheless.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I feel through the bags. I've made mistakes twice, once when I thought I had Lady Liberty but it ended up being the Flamenco dancer. (Which is okay). the second I got a Skater Girl by accident, which was great because it was one of the best figures in that line. The only time I've gotten a bag at random I got a classic alien, which was cool.(I always get the girl figures. On purpose. They usually the awesome ones. The surgeon, skater, viking woman, galaxy girl, grandma's visitor, etc? So cool)

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

Never on minifigs, but I did get shorthanded a couple of times on Kanohi and other such collectibles when they were out. It's always a shot in the dark with those.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I don't see a reason to be "shocked" when you get one you don't like. Picking a random one isn't really a good strategy for finding the ones you want.The "worst" experience I've had is getting the lifeguard girl, which honestly isn't that bad anyway, and was lessened by the fact that I got the pretty cool skier and maraca man figures (who I actually really wanted, and I had picked these three packs randomly). The others I've bought myself are ones I checked against barcode keys and dot pattern keys. The only time I didn't get the ones I wanted was when they literally weren't there. And then I just used the keys to pick out non-duplicate ones that I liked.My mom also sent me five packs for my birthday (was at school at the time), so I couldn't pick them myself, but I ended up with the outlaw, butcher, Statue of Liberty, and two minotaurs, which is a pretty good get. Liberty is a nice figure, the outlaw has two black pistols, the hat, and the kerchief, and the butcher comes with the meat cleaver and piece of meat Even with the minotaur duplicates I ended up with two ax heads and two of those black 3-module bars, which I imagine will be very useful.(also the guy with the bagpipes is awesome, don't be hatin')

OpAXNpl.jpg

I tend to feel the packages before buying and haven't been wrong so far, so I haven't had any bad luck in that sense. Nor have I had any minifigures which were severely lacking in quality.Of course, if I did buy a minifigure other than the ones I intended, I doubt I'd be too disappointed since they are all beautiful designs. Even a duplicate wouldn't be anything to get seriously upset over, because you never know when you might find a use for that duplicate figure.

I´ve been pretty lucky so far as I always feel for the pieces and don´t buy a minifig blindly. I only got two minifigs I didn´t want (Viking and Ice Skater from series 4), which I mistook for Punk Rocker and Kimono Girl (I think).-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I ended up pulling the bride. UGH. I cannot tell what is in the bags be feeling them. So I am not buying any more. I have no idea what to do with her and I hate just throwing things away.
Give her to a family member or friend who is getting married? Put her in a city layout? Trade her with a LEGO fan who appreciates the figure more? I'm not sure what makes the bride so difficult to use compared to the others in the series, unless you are very particular about what themes you build in, in which case you're probably right, the collectible minifigures probably aren't for you and you're better off not buying more.Incidentally, what figure were you hoping to find?

I've never really had a bad experience. It's LEGO either way, so I'm happy. :PUsually I just get my brothers to feel the packages, or I'll just grab one and live with it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Hmm... Well, I did pick some at random and I ended up getting another Squinty (the guy with the backpack and squinty eyes who I dubbed Squinty. You know, the explorer guy from one of the previous series). Still, I'm generally happy with all of the Minifigs I get. And dude, you gave away the fitness instructor? Her hair is pretty sweet. Plus, purple boombox. Awesome.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

for christmas last year i got like 13 packages. i got no doubles and 2 tripples. i got a gladiator, a cavewoman and an Egyptian queen.i was mor than satisfied. unfortunately, i can't find them in my area. so i missed of the series.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I usually receive them as gifts so there's no option for bag feeling, and often I get two or three copies of my least favorite for each wave (Sumo Wrestlers, skateboarders, soccer players). Often I don't manage to find the ones I'm really looking for. The exception for this is wave 3, where by complete dumb luck my mother and I managed to buy around 9-10 different figures, without feeling, without duplicates, and with all the ones I wanted.So, yeah, for me it's about split even between good and bad luck.

BZPRPG

I had enough money to buy two of them, and I really wanted the Spartan. So I feel them with my fingers, looking for the staff part. I find two likely candidates. What do I get? The Witch and the Egyptian Dude. Darn. Haven't bothered since then.-Longcat is Long!

I USED TO BE LONGCAT IS LONG!

tumblr_m42b4aGmdZ1qkibivo1_500.jpg
My Blog. Read it. Nao.

My Steam name is [TDC] Blitzkitteh, feel free to add me.

I had enough money to buy two of them, and I really wanted the Spartan. So I feel them with my fingers, looking for the staff part. I find two likely candidates. What do I get? The Witch and the Egyptian Dude. Darn. Haven't bothered since then.-Longcat is Long!
When feeling for parts, it's a good idea to also feel for parts that shouldn't be there. In the case of the Witch, you should have made sure it had normal legs. It'd be harder to tell with the Egyptian, but if you couldn't tell the difference between the Egyptian headdress and the Spartan helmet, you could make sure the fig you picked had the shield piece as well.I'm generally pretty good at feeling the packages, and haven't been wrong yet. But of course it helps to have an extra set of hands, so when I'm shopping with my twin brother we can easily feel our way through a whole box in short notice. And it also helps when you like all of the figs, since then you can focus less on getting a specific fig and more on avoiding duplicates.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't had terrible luck with the collectible minifigures, luckily.The fact is that I've had better luck with randomly picking them out than with feeling them, at least in the latest series.

:P (I did have good luck with feeling the bags back when Series 4 came out, though.)I'm just pleased I got myself a Series 1 Caveman rather than the original Clown.~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r::~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

• 2 weeks later...

Would you belive i spent a whole 2 months trying to get the space marine minifiger( the final total 2 evil nights, a swimer, a posidon and varionus others) and I am feeling these packects to find 'em. THEN my sister randomly picks one for me and it's him! Crazy world.

I have no Signature,

Why?

I'm Avak3, I don't need one.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, actually I've had nothing but good luck. The only minifig I bought was a Sherlock Holmes one, that I had xccj feel for me before I bought it (he's quite the expert). All the other minifigs I received were either gifts or were given to me. For those given to me (in a BCascade goodiebag, etc.) I've also had good luck with -- I've gotten an Elf, Sailor, and Bagpiper, all three of which I am fond of. I have not yet gotten one that I haven't liked, either by picking the wrong one or being given one. Guess I'm lucky.newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender