Mask Of Life/mata Nui Questions

1. How does the Mask of Life communicate telepathically, as it has been shown to do? Can a user of this mask access this power?2. Can Mata Nui actively communicate with the Mask of Life's mind? If so, could he use the Mask to communicate telepathically, or would he have to convince the Mask's mind to send the message?3. If some Toa, possibly insane, decided to try to wear the Mask of Life, what would happen to them now?

1. The Mask of Life is sentient, although childlike in its thought process due to being shut away for the majority of its existence. It communicates telepathically simply because it can, being more or less "alive."2. I suppose he could try and communicate with it, depends on if the mask wanted to communicate back. Mata Nui's willpower is implied to be far greater than the mask's though, which is why he was pretty much in full control while wearing it on Bara Magna.3. The mask would more than likely curse them just for putting their hands on it, and depending on the curse, it may not actually reach the Toa's face. It's been shown to at least indirectly retaliate and protect itself, like with Vezon. The mask pretty much hated him, and as soon as he touched it, it cursed him into being its guardian and trapping him there with Fenrakk.

rahkshi_symbol.png

1. Yes, the Ignika is sentient in a way, and is telepathic, but I would imagine is innate to the mask by itself, not controllable by its users.2. Well, we did see Mata Nui communicate, although it wasn't heard, through the mask, upon his expulsion from the Matoran Universe ("I will return!") And Mata Nui was presumably omnipotent enough to use telepathy, so he probably wouldn't need to use it through the mask.3. Well, there was the Great Being who brought the Ignika into its chamber and had to touch it, and the member of Jovan's Toa Team who used it, so if it didn't completely destroy him, it'd turn his brains into goop. Ughhhh...

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

The first two points have been covered pretty nicely above, but I'm of the opinion that the mask's instant-cursing days are probably over now that Mata Nui seems to be in charge of its power. Presumably it would be up to him if the wearer got cursed, got to use the mask, or if nothing happened.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

3. The mask would more than likely curse them just for putting their hands on it, and depending on the curse, it may not actually reach the Toa's face. It's been shown to at least indirectly retaliate and protect itself, like with Vezon. The mask pretty much hated him, and as soon as he touched it, it cursed him into being its guardian and trapping him there with Fenrakk.
Why didn't it curse Kiina when she cradled it after Mata Nui went dormant inside it? Is she the next destined bearer?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

The telepathy is probably just a choice the story designers felt was needed since having a mask talk with a voice would make no sense. In-story it's probably just considered as under the category of Life power.Since both Mata Nui and Ignika are living minds inhabiting the mask that they're in a sort of hivemind existence, with Mata Nui in control but able to communicate whatever is needed to Ignika instantly, and Ignika able to communicate anything it knows to Mata Nui. And yes, he was shown as able to control what the mask did in TLR so he should have that control over all its abilities.With Mata Nui in control, I'd say what would happen to any being that touched it would depend now on what Mata Nui wants. But we don't really know what he is up to right now, if anything. So hard to say. He might just delegate that to Ignika's normal curse strategy to protect the mask.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)