How-to BZP

-Windrider-

Hello!

"How-to BZP" is a monthly segment that airs on the BZPowercast that aims to explicate BZPower's policies, organization, and features. We'd like to keep this a monthly thing! In order to do so, we need ideas for subjects - I'm pretty much out of topics to cover. :P So, if there's a something on BZPower that is unclear to you or for which you'd like an in-depth explanation, please post here to let us know.

Also, How-to BZP general thread, because why not.

Covered so far: 

• Anniversary Changes~
  • Q&A Forum Tips
  • Aerosmith Account security
  • Proto Energy!
  • Off-Topic Culture
  • The Tracker
  • Blog policy
  • The Gallery
  • The advertising policy
  • Reporting and the new warning system
  • The Retired Staff group
  • Topic revival
  • The new avatar/personal photo system
  • General Q&A
Edited by -Windrider-

How about blog policy? I don't think you did that...
Good idea! It has indeed not been covered yet.For reference, here's a list of what has been covered so far this year:
  • The advertising policy
  • Reporting and the new warning system
  • The Retired Staff group
  • Topic revival
  • The new avatar/personal photo system
  • General Q&A in which Wind confuses the DSi with the 3DS and Nate is awesome

I'm trying to forget that last one. Maybe I can convince Black Six to post a news story asking for questions again for a chance to redeem myself.

Edited by -Windrider-

Perhaps an explanation of topic revival and a list of how long the revival in each forum is?-Rez
Silly Rez, that's on the list of topics covered so far. :PI did a fairly poor job on it, though, because I forgot to write down any notes. However, it's not worth revisiting after only three months or so.

Perhaps an explanation of topic revival and a list of how long the revival in each forum is?-Rez
Silly Rez, that's on the list of topics covered so far. :PI did a fairly poor job on it, though, because I forgot to write down any notes. However, it's not worth revisiting after only three months or so.
Oh gosh, didn't see that. Wow, sometimes I just don't know about me. :P-Rez

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You could do something about the RPG
To be honest, there really isn't much advice that could be given about the RPG Forum; especially for a How-to-BZP session. For one thing, the RPG forums are no different from other forums besides the fact that you control a character through writing. There is really no "correct" way to RPG. Each person has his own methods, styles, writing styles, etc.-Rez

• 4 months later...
  • How to gain proto the quickest.
  • How to get the staff like you
  • How to get B6 less creepy
  • How to avoid Bonesii's well tought arguments in S&T.
  • How to make a awesome sig within tha rulez.
  • How to study tha rulez.
  • How to avoid your topic getting closed.
  • How to bake a cake :)

Hope one of these is good.

Edited by Dual Matrix

I'm back!

How to gain proto the quickest.

Everything related to that can be found here. It's not really a stable subject to talk about on the BZPowerCast as proto boosts vary depending on what you do and how the staff feel about it, or which staff is viewing whatever you did that was helpful.

-Rez

How to gain proto the quickest.

Everything related to that can be found here. It's not really a stable subject to talk about on the BZPowerCast as proto boosts vary depending on what you do and how the staff feel about it, or which staff is viewing whatever you did that was helpful.

Just offering suggestions, BTW I added a few more. Edited by Dual Matrix

I'm back!

• 1 month later...

Comments in bold

• [*]How to gain proto the quickest.
Buy Premier Membership. [*]How to get the staff like youHelp them out (when they ask) and make good posts. Don't insult them or make bad jokes about them. [*]How to get B6 less creepyVisit his blog. The creepiness will fade. [*]How to avoid Bonesii's well tought arguments in S&T.Avoid the S&T forum. Don't post in there. That's the only sure-fire method. [*]How to make a awesome sig within tha rulez.There are many methods, but a good banner is usually key; draws attention. [*]How to study tha rulez.Visit the Reference Desk, and read the rules topics in each forum that you post in. [*]How to avoid your topic getting closed.Read the rules topics in each forum. Also, it's a good idea to look at topics that aren't getting closed, and follow their example - with an original spin. [*]How to bake a cake :)[*]Get a recipe and follow the directions. :)[*]

Hope one of these is good.

I'm going to say that "How to avoid your topic getting closed" might be a good topic for a How To BZP. Or "How Not to Get Banned." :shrugs:

Do my idea. Make a new section of creations specifically for HF MOCs.

If you want that done, you should propose that in the Tracker.

Edited by fishers64

Listening to the BZPowercast is still scrambled somewhere through the chaos of my (possibly nonexistent) mental To-Do list, so please forgive/murderize me if this has already been covered, but how about explaining why BZP's external-websites policies are like they are.

I know that has been briefly covered in the Reference Desk-section, but they're quite strict and I'm (semi-)certain a lot of people probably don't get the reason behind that strictness.

Aside from that, Dual Matrix' question about cake-making seems like a good idea.... be it a cake made out of LEGO. (Ain't nothing like the sheer delicious of a molten-plastic topping) (Do not inhale the fumes though, no matter how good they smell)

iquXD5X.png

Well, the thing you suggested is hard to talk that long about in the powercast, since we can't give examples and such :)Altough the idea is smart.

Of course, the very same policies prevent them from naming literally every domain ever, but it isn't too hard to just make a site up and use it as an example. (and in case they're worried about someone registering it after the podcast is released, they can just make up their own top-level domain - i.e., im-a-llama.rawr is not, and probably never will be, a valid domain: the .rawr TLD (top-level domain) does not exist)

iquXD5X.png

• 3 months later...

Things that go bump in the night.

So after a break last month due to academic overload, How-to will be back this month now that I've gotten used to my summer schedule. Naturally, I have no idea what to cover. Have any more suggestions, Dual? Anyone else? Okay, so maybe I have somewhat of an idea for the subject: an overview of the staff? Sound viable? :0

Sounds viable. I might actually listen to that one. :P

In other things, perhaps a segment on how to get people to post in your topic or how to inspire more forum activity (hint: post a new topic)

Didn't we have a how-to on how to post a new topic? I've lost track. If not, that's probably a good one. :shrugs:

Also, "how to use BBCode on the forums" might be good as well. Although that segment might quickly become out of date.

Edited by fishers64

BBCode might be good for a two-part segment; I'm not sure that I could fill up a good twenty or more minutes on that topic alone. Also, Flaredrick, you can always shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to explain them! :o

Activity: Yes, yes I agree. Honestly, though, I don't know how to address the problem. It's something beyond the scope of my own power: I've been ruminating about how to bring life back to my assigned forums, but I am just left dry. To address the bigger problem of the whole site's activity, well, I'm just not sure. How to post a new topic? Well, I'm not the best person to ask about that one. :P I'm guilty of being a lurker myself, really.

Edited by -Windrider-
silly emoticons

Whatever you think is best on the BBCode. It might be nice to wait until the Official BBCode help topic is restored on the archives (is that linked to the Compendium? Should be.) Anyway, here's an official reference.

I know that I could write a four-page paper on that topic, though, like which codes work and don't work here, common errors, and tricks people don't usually know about. :P That's probably just me, though.