Worst Mask Power

Hmm. My second option would probably be Felnas.I mean, you gotta be careful who you are touching. If you touched a guy whose active power is suicidal explosion (like the Kardas), you'd be dead :P

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

I guess the Arthron. I mean, what does it ACTUALLY do?
If you read the article and the rest of this thread, you'd have an answer. But to save you some trouble, I'll tell you it gives its user echolocation (the user doesn't need to make the noise, the mask sends out sonic signals that I think are inaudible to most beings). The mask is always on at low level, and doesn't provide the details sight does, but it can be used to detect targets whether they're artificially invisible (using a Huna for example), if they're in darkness, or otherwise shrouded by something non-solid (like murky water or fog). In contrast, the Elda and Rode can see invisible beings, but not through darkness, and the Ruru does the opposite: night-vision, but doesn't see through artificial invisibility. So the Arthron is really the best choice in a lot of situations -- the only downsides are the lack of detail and the fact that things that interfere with sound would interfere with the mask.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I'm gonna say Clairvoiyance. Uncontrollable visions that leave you in a semi-vegatative state for the duration, and only for the near future? No thanks.

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

None of the masks were specifically made to be useless, nor are any completely so. For example, the Kaukau would be useless if you were always on land and did not need to go in water. Now, if you needed to dive into water for say, your science report you need to hand up tomorrow, the Kaukau would be really useful, wouldn't it?

I think the Zatth because you don't have any control on what you will summon. At least the Zelda has a definite power and it is useful for finding objects.
Elda. Zelda is a character in the video games of that name. :P
Speaking of that, whenever I think of the Rode: Mask of Truth I also think of this:Mask_of_Truth.pngI would say the Zatth is pretty useless. Either useless or incredibly dangerous. Especially since you can't control the Rahi in any way once you've summoned it, let alone send it away if it becomes a problem.

Not that the Elda doesn't have its uses, but if I want to see invisible folk I'd use the Rode, and the Ignika needs to be found like once every 50,000 years or so. And whose brain-dead idea was it to have it give the user headaches? Really.Other than that, the Mask of Clairvoyance is somewhat suspect, given that you have no control over what you see and it's very tiring to use.The Shelek also seems rather pointless, except in certain situations I suppose, maybe to cut off communication.And sorry bones, but I think I have to give the top spots to the Mask of Conjuring and the Mask of Undeath. Conjuring is too limited and easy to backfire, and Undeath not only provides no benefit during life, it actually slows down the user's system. I'd say the one use for Undeath is a task that absolutely must be accomplished, at any cost, and I can't think of a task like that right now.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I'd say the one use for Undeath is a task that absolutely must be accomplished, at any cost, and I can't think of a task like that right now.
Really? There could be all kinds. Lemme say firstly that it was never meant to be a commonly useful mask, though, so there's validity in what you say, and was mainly invented for the Warzone world in the Expanded Multiverse. The warriors there would often want to take revenge on an enemy that had killed them, or continue guarding their clan. Toa there tend to be most "freed up" from the Toa Code, unlike canon Toa. Canonically the same principles could be extended to a lot of situations with villains, morally questionables, etc. who can use masks. A Toa who was desperate might even use it if the task was important enough.For a hypothetical, imagine that someone was systematically murdering the Toa Nuva prior to their awakening the Great Spirit, but the method of murder was not destroying their masks. One might seek a Mask of Undeath to try to ensure that the Task would succeed even if they died.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The Elda. In essence, it was a plot device so the Inika could locate the Ignika, but, I don't think the Elda was what caused them to find it anyways :PAnd the stache.-Star
Well, the Elda isn't just used for sensing the Mask of Life. It's also used for sensing things like Matoro's Spirit. I can probably sense other things as well. I mean, She only had it for a few days, so he never really got to test the full extent of her powers. It might be like a sixth sense.

Really? There could be all kinds. Lemme say firstly that it was never meant to be a commonly useful mask, though, so there's validity in what you say, and was mainly invented for the Warzone world in the Expanded Multiverse. The warriors there would often want to take revenge on an enemy that had killed them, or continue guarding their clan. Toa there tend to be most "freed up" from the Toa Code, unlike canon Toa.
It's considerably more useful in the EM than in the MU, I agree with that. I just think it was a poor choice of mask to get approved for canon. Things like Energy Tracking or Adhesion seem much more suited to the MU.
For a hypothetical, imagine that someone was systematically murdering the Toa Nuva prior to their awakening the Great Spirit, but the method of murder was not destroying their masks. One might seek a Mask of Undeath to try to ensure that the Task would succeed even if they died.
That... seems highly contrived. Anyway, I'm not saying there aren't uses for it, there certainly are, they're just very few and far-between, enough that I think this counts as the Worst Mask Power (in the MU anyway).

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

It's considerably more useful in the EM than in the MU, I agree with that. I just think it was a poor choice of mask to get approved for canon. Things like Energy Tracking or Adhesion seem much more suited to the MU.
Fair enough. Energy Tracking also used an official shape; it's meant to imply that the Energy Hound head piece could work, so perhaps if we'd thought of that we could have asked for that too, though I have no idea how Greg would have responded. If we'd been using the Story Squad system at the time these sorts of problems could have been considered more carefully, but ah well, such is life.
That... seems highly contrived.
Well, it was one of the main examples that occured to me at the time, anyways. Greg had been hinting, in fact, that one of the Nuva might possibly die, and that there might be a way to work around that problem. The Mask of Undeath could have made that idea actually possible in story. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

That... seems highly contrived.
Well, it was one of the main examples that occured to me at the time, anyways. Greg had been hinting, in fact, that one of the Nuva might possibly die, and that there might be a way to work around that problem. The Mask of Undeath could have made that idea actually possible in story. :)
The problem is that it seems you would have to wear this mask for a long time before it's even remotely useful (if it siphons power over time) or otherwise have the time to switch to it before you are killed. As it actually makes your condition worse while wearing it, you wouldn't want it on at all times unless you were certain that you were going to die. Even then, if you are killed, chances are the undead body would still not be able to fulfill your task.Let's say Icarax is killing the Nuva, one by one. Tahu decided to don the Mask of Undeath. Icarax kills him too, and the body gets back up in order to attempt to wake Mata Nui. Icarax sees the brain-dead target and chops its head off. The mask is thus completely useless.Let's say my fellow Toa has been kidnapped and put under guard. I attack his guards, but get killed. My body reanimates and manages to kill the surprised guards. I open the prison door, get him outside, and expire. Mission accomplished, but with another mask (such as intangibility to get inside and kill them in a surprise attack through the wall) I might have survived.Let's say I get killed by something that does not leave a functional corpse. My leg or head is chopped off, or I get pushed into lava or half melted by a Toa of Plasma, or frozen solid by Ice. In this case it's impossible for my undead body to keep going anyways, rendering the mask useless once again.The only use I see for a Mask of Undeath is, as you say, revenge on a single target who better not know what mask you've been wearing or see you coming. Undead or not, it seems to me that the body could still be disabled fairly easily despite no longer feeling pain or caring about damage to itself.

If I had to guess, the Mask of Undeath was probably just the result of some disturbed foreign mask maker thinking, "Hmm, I wonder if I could really make a mask like this."

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Neither of those two are useless. Not at all. Night vision can be extremely useful if you're on a mission in the dark, which a lot of stealth operations would be. Toa of Earth, who often buy underground, have a good use for it. The same goes for water breathing. We got a lot of divers in real life, right? They prefer to dive with an air tank. Given that so much of the MU is composed of islands, water breathing is a good power to have on hand. Gali made good use of it on Mata Nui, Lewa almost drowned in a swamp because he didn't have one, and I'm sure it'd be useful in the chutes and waterways of Metru Nui.If the mutagen and the Ignika hadn't been there to make everyone natural water breathers in the Mahri arc, then you can bet that they would all have wanted a Kanohi Kaukau. Heck, they would all have drowned five minutes in if they didn't.Being circumstantial goes for every mask. The Hau is useless if you're not being attacked. The Kakama is useless if you're in a cramped space. The Pakari is useless if you're in a barren area and being attacked by lasers from the sky.I might go with the Zatth for most useless, since it's so uncontrollable and potentially dangerous for yourself to use.

Edited by Katuko

I'm not clear on something for the Zatth -- does it teleport random Rahi (as long as they suit the user's environment) to the user, or does it send a mental signal that commands nearby Rahi to come? Either way, it does seem rather unreliable. But if it always summoned something dangerous enough to provide a distraction -- no chance of summoning harmless little critters -- it could come in handy if the user just needed a distraction, or if he or an ally had a Mask of Rahi Control.The Mask of Undeath seems pretty lame, unless the reanimated body was very hard to stop because it was undead. Also, it depends on how complex the one programmed task can be. Regardless, it seems like something most beings wouldn't have a use for -- only ones that are very dedicated to a cause or mission and aren't opposed to the mask's unnatural power.

My Blog

My Story Collection

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I'm not clear on something for the Zatth -- does it teleport random Rahi (as long as they suit the user's environment) to the user, or does it send a mental signal that commands nearby Rahi to come?
The former. It grabs a random Rahi and teleports it to your location. The Rahi would have no idea of what happened, and would not feel any unnatural compulsion to follow the summoner in any way.

KauKau, only ga-matoran and toa of water have it (as far as I know) and they can breathe underwater without it.

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

KauKau, only ga-matoran and toa of water have it (as far as I know) and they can breathe underwater without it.
Well, all the Toa Mata collected it in 2001, and had it in their Golden Kanohi. Which they lost when transformed into Nuva at the end of 2002 story (after defeating the Bahrag). But then Gali got a Nuva version of it which let her share the power with anyone nearby, so in a sense anyone near her could then get it from then on. :)And of course, we cannot rule out that other Toa, of the hundreds and maybe more we did not learn the details of or see in story, might have had one. Perhaps as a backup like the 2001 mask collecting, with a Suva. Would be a wise backup to have.And not sure if that final bit was a typo, but they can NOT breathe underwater without it. :) Only amphibious beings or beings that live in the water like Ruki fish can.

• 2 weeks later...

For my sanity I'll just be ignoring the "Expanded Multiverse"-approved masks because too many are convoluted or require too precise of situations and conditions to ever really be viable...Well, I hate to be cliche, but I keep reading through the list of powers and just think "well that one's cool." But then we get to the Elda and its very limited displayed capabilities make it pretty bad. Sure it might be able to detect a lot of things, but when detecting the Ignika is a specific trait of it that it was pretty much only used for this - and it hurts the user while doing so? Yeah, not that great of a power.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Well, I agree that in 2008 it wasn't very useful, at least Lewa could have a backup in case his armor malfunctioned. But the Mask of Flight does not allow is user to hover in place, while the Miru does. That can be a useful ability.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

Yeah I din't thing about that but I'd still rather have a mask of flight
Well, if you were a Toa of Air, able to propel yourself while hovering, or just hover with the Miru, you'd probably prefer the Miru. :) For most other elements, though, yeah, a Kadin is probably best.

I think it is a bit easy to peg the Elda as it, but the sheer usefulness of it in the right hands is incredible. Keep in mind, few Eldas were made because and the Inika had absolutely no idea how to use it - that doesn't mean it is useless. Having a tool to help you avert the apocalypse is a useful thing when the need arises.I think most Kanohi do have uses and disadvantages, and most of them could be useful in some situation. To make a good judgement on the one with the lowest comparative value, one has to look at how strong the strengths are in comparison to weaknesses, as well as how useful it is as a Noble Kanohi. The ones that are the weakest in their advantages are the Mask of Clairvoyance and Mask of Elemental Energy.The Mask of Clairvoyance would be horrible if it activates in battle since you are essentially comatose until the vision ends, and you can't see very far into the future or do anything to change it. It also is emotionally draining and you have no control over when it is activated.The Mask of Elemental Energy is something most experienced Toa would never need to use, as it takes quite a while to run out of it and experienced Toa can regulate how much they use pretty easily. For a Turaga, it would be essentially useless since Turaga have much weaker elemental powers (slightly greater than that of Av-Matoran) and would probably never run out of it since they don't use it too often. Additionally, BS01 says it can only be used once - a massive drawback. It is just a weak mask overall and probably the worst one, as compared to all the others.-TN05

Additionally, BS01 says it [Mask of Elemental Energy] can only be used once - a massive drawback. It is just a weak mask overall and probably the worst one, as compared to all the others.
Uh, I don't think that's canon. They were one-use items in the mostly non-canon Bionicle the Game; that's probably what it's referring to. Canonically they can be used as often as needed, unless there's an official quote that says otherwise? All I ever heard from Greg was that the power itself (to recharge elemental energy) is canon. Plus, of course, that he said masks do not run out of energy, so there's no reason for it to be one use.

Additionally, BS01 says it [Mask of Elemental Energy] can only be used once - a massive drawback. It is just a weak mask overall and probably the worst one, as compared to all the others.
Uh, I don't think that's canon. They were one-use items in the mostly non-canon Bionicle the Game; that's probably what it's referring to. Canonically they can be used as often as needed, unless there's an official quote that says otherwise? All I ever heard from Greg was that the power itself (to recharge elemental energy) is canon. Plus, of course, that he said masks do not run out of energy, so there's no reason for it to be one use.
In No One Gets Left Behind, nothing implies that it's one-use, but BS01 still says it is.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Yeah, I just checked that part before seeing your post. There's no need for it to be one-use from that. Someone should look into why that line was put into that article. My bet is it's just assuming Greg canonizing the mask meant he canonized its exact in-game portrayal. But Greg has said he doesn't play these games; I'm not certain he didn't play Bionicle the Game but I doubt it, so he probably didn't even know about that part, let alone intend to canonize it. There would need to be a quote of him confirming it's one use.It's possible; I didn't read every single quote from Greg, but yeah... Doubt it.

Yeah, I just checked that part before seeing your post. There's no need for it to be one-use from that. Someone should look into why that line was put into that article. My bet is it's just assuming Greg canonizing the mask meant he canonized its exact in-game portrayal. But Greg has said he doesn't play these games; I'm not certain he didn't play Bionicle the Game but I doubt it, so he probably didn't even know about that part, let alone intend to canonize it. There would need to be a quote of him confirming it's one use.It's possible; I didn't read every single quote from Greg, but yeah... Doubt it.
Well, if it could be used as often as possible, Toa could be constantly be firing off Nova Blasts. If the Mask of Elemental Energy isn't one-use, it probably would need a recharge time to not be overpowered. Personally, I think that as a one-use mask it would be on level with the Mask of Undeath, which exists as an only somewhat useful Kanohi which can often be a burden.~B~

So there have been some pretty amazing mask powers in Bionicle history. There have also been some awful ones.Take Whenua for example. His mask can glow in the dark, big whoop. The other Toa could get the same effect by taping torches to their masks.What do you think is the worse mask power?
If you don't mind, I would respectfully disagree. The Ruru, Mask of Night Vision, is a very powerful mask. Not to mention pretty much my favorite.Not only does it allow the wearer to see perfectly in the dark (as though it was day, no silly green vision like humans use), but it also grants partial X-ray vision. Albiet partial. Plus, it can emit a dazzling beam of light to give assistance to other beings fumbling around in the dark, or perhaps stun an enemy.Look it up on Bioniclesector01. It's really a neat mask.

Hmmm. I'd say that the worst mask power, where worst is defined as useful in the narrowest of situations... yeah, I'm going with the Elda. The only thing unique about it in canon is that it can find the Ignika, and that's via migrane. Everything else it does is also done by the Rode, and that is also a lie-detector. Now, if the Elda could be used to direct the wearer to whatever plot-important object they need to find, I'd take two asprin and suffer through its... unique... hot-cold system, but it can't so I won't. Of course, if you do need to find the Ignika for whatever reason it's an essential on your Suva, but otherwise... yeah, no thanks.If the Elda's been called enough names, my second-worst would probably be the Mask of Clairvoyance. Emotionally draining visions that knock you out of paying attention to reality at uncontrollable times? I'd probably be heading for the nearest mask maker. It admittedly depends on how good you are at taking what it shows you and affecting what happens immediately after the end of the vision. Depending on how it shows things (because that hasn't been shown yet I think) it could be more or less useful, but for now I'm sticking on a big post-it note saying "HARD MODE - EXPERIENCED TOA ONLY".

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Well, if it could be used as often as possible, Toa could be constantly be firing off Nova Blasts. If the Mask of Elemental Energy isn't one-use, it probably would need a recharge time to not be overpowered. Personally, I think that as a one-use mask it would be on level with the Mask of Undeath, which exists as an only somewhat useful Kanohi which can often be a burden.~B~
Yeah, I agree it has a recharge time. Most likely it is the same as a Toa's. It's just that for the first use it is already charged, or for a use after more than enough time has passed. The power probably uses the same system to slowly recharge EE, plus an instant transfer of what is charged.In a short-term battle, it could be considered essentially one-use. But in the long term, it could be used as often as necessary. :) .Also, the Mask of Undeath isn't technically one use. The same one could be used by multiple people over time (which has probably happened). Also the user can use its chargeup power as often as they want while alive to prolong the duration of undeath. And the only barrier to it being used more than once (the main use) by the same person isn't part of the power's limitations but the user's -- death. Theoretically if someone could be revived like Jaller they could use it at least twice. Edited by bonesiii

Also, the Mask of Undeath isn't technically one use. The same one could be used by multiple people over time (which has probably happened). Also the user can use its chargeup power as often as they want while alive to prolong the duration of undeath.
It has a charge-up power? I thought it automatically leeched life energy (slightly weakening you in the process) while worn and had no other function until the user died?