Flash Fire - Character Design Contest

InnerRayg

Welcome to FLASH FIRE, the quickest character design contest this side of the BBC!So what's all this then, I hear you asking, and to you I say, this is a contest. We're doing it quick and dirty guys - you've got about two weeks, starting now until Sunday, July 22nd, 2011 at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time to illustrate one (or all!) of three characters from Ta-Koro. Toa Tahu, Turaga Vakama, and Jaller or Takua as a Matoran. We will then take the winners for each design, print them out on a sturdy board and cut them out to be free standing figures. These figures will then go on display at Brickfair this year in front of a matte painting made by yours truly. You can do this in any style, as long as you follow a few rules.1. Your entry must be an entire standing figure.

example1.pngAs you can see, the entry on the left has made the mistake of cutting off part of the figure. This is bad! The goal of this is to make some paper doll style figures we can cut out and pose amongst the many MOCs at Brickfair - it's our chance as flat-medium artists to show those sculptural guys what for! So make sure you draw an entire figure.2. The figure must be by itself, with little or no background elements.

example2.pngAs you can see, again our foolish member on the left has messed up and included a lot of extra background on his piece! This is pointless, as we will be cutting out the figure anyway and so please do not do this.3. Your characters must be in scale!

example3.pngAs you can see, it's a big problem when the figures don't have a good scale relationship to each other! So here is our rule of thumb for figures. If you are drawing them by hand, then just measure them with a ruler and scan them at about 150 DPI. If you are doing digital work, then make sure your canvas in your favorite program is set to the proper scale, again at minimum 150 DPI. Not sure what any of that means? Get ahold of me by PM, I'll help you figure it out.For your Toa Tahu, the figure must be between 5.5 to 7 inches tall.Turaga Vakama must be between 3.5 to 4.5 inches tall.The Matoran must be from 3 to 4.5 inches tall.Got it? Good.

FAQ:How is height measured?It is measured from the bottom of the feet of the character to the top of the head. This is about keeping things in scale, not necessarily the height of the image. If your character is contorted, it might not be technically the right height, but if he was just standing it should be proportioned so that he would be within the guidelines.Can I enter for each character?Sure. Everyone gets up to three entries, one for each character/category. You should keep them all in the same topic though.Enter by posting a link to your entry picture in this topic, using the entry form.Which version of Tahu/Vakama/Jaller/Takua can I draw?Any version you prefer, as long as they can be properly described as TOA Tahu, TURAGA Vakama, and MATORAN Jaller/Takua. If you're drawing Takanuva, that's not really a Matoran, is it. However, Tahu Nuva is still a Toa, as is the Phantoka version.Can the character be in an action pose?As long as it follows the rules stated above, then fine. No backgrounds, and full character must be visible. And remember, this is going to be a physical standee so try to give it a fairly solid base. If you need some small decorative background element to make this possible then we will make an exception for it, like if Tahu's doing a flip and has his hand on a rock, then that's fine. This is up to my discretion, don't be cute.Can the character have some fire background elements?This is up to my discretion, but with characters that can control fire a little bit won't hurt. If it's so much that it could be considered a background, then it's too much.What style can I use? Does it need to be in color? Can I do a silhouette? Can I use (X) medium?This is the part of the contest where you need to start making some decisions for yourself. I've told you what to draw, you decide what the best solution is for it. As you can see in the examples above, I took three very different styles which if they were actually drawn by me would all be excellent entries into the contest. You choose the style, you choose the look, you choose the method. You just need to find the solution that is going to be best for the scenario I have given you, posed amongst several colorful MOCs with a fully colored backdrop behind it.Be good, don't whine, don't flame, and don't spam PM people to vote for you.Reminder! Don't break BZP rules!If something isn't allowed in a post or a signature, please don't put it in your entry.Entry Form:Please fill out the following form and post it with your entry. I try to semi-automate the process of making the entry list, so please just cut and paste the following; don't re-order lines, change words, or add code tags. Member name: Entry Category: (Toa, Turaga, or Matoran) Entry URL: optional: Thumbnail URL: Topic:Following is the standard stuff many of you end up not reading...General Rules:Entries: A violation of any of these rules may result in your entry being disqualified. You may be given the opportunity to correct any rules violations, but all corrections must be completed prior to the entry deadline. Most people don't bother following the restrictions, so I'm not going to bother listing them. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of people who don't have as fast an internet connection as you have, and aren't going to spend 5 minutes or half an hour downloading an entry to look at it; I know I'm not going to. If someone tells me that an entry breaks the rules, and it takes too long for me to verify it, I'll probably just accept what they tell me. I think one of the reasons for fewer responses in artwork topics is the increase in pictures that are one or two megabytes. Also, I don't see any reason for entries that can't be viewed without scrolling. In order to further save download time, please do not post your entry in the entry topic. Instead, please provide a link to your entry.Only one entry per category per member. You may switch or modify your entry during the entry period. If you are correcting a rules violation or are submitting a clearer image of your entry. In both of the cases, you must notify me as to what changes you have made. Any other changes to your entry mid-contest may result in disqualification.The artwork portrayed must be new and never before published on BZP prior to the start of the contest.All entries must be posted in this topic, using an entry form.A low resolution thumbnail picture representing your entry, no larger than 128 pixels by 128 pixels (just like they have on BrickShelf!), is strongly encouraged. It may be a reduced picture of your entry, a cropped picture of your entry, or a combination of the two, as long as it represents your entry. If a thumbnail picture is not provided, one will be made for you, and you might not like it.Conduct: Although some specific rules are mentioned here, all BZP rules apply. Any violation of BZP rules may result in you being disqualified from the contest.No posts saying "Did you see my entry on the ** page?" and other like them in the Entry Topic.Any flaming will result in disqualification from the contest. Let's keep it fun, nice, and clean.None of the "unfair" whining & crying. We're all aware that some people have better animation and painting programs, such is life.Don't play Moderator. No posts saying "that's spam", or "don't double post", or "your entry should be DQ'ed because...", or any other comments pointing out possible contest or BZP rules violations. As well intentioned as these comments are, they are wrong often enough that it only creates more work for me. If a post is spam or a double post, I'll just delete it, which is easier than deleting it and a second (and third, and fourth...) spammy post that points out the alleged problem with the first post.Discussion is encouraged. There will be no Discussion Topic this time, since most people have ignored it in the past and posted comments in the entry topic anyway. Feel free to ask questions about entries you see or about the contest in general. This is for all people on BZP and the BZP Artwork Community.The contest is public & open to all BZP members, including the contest officials. Signature advertising is colorful & encouraged, but please use good judgement if you choose to promote yourself and your artwork, do not spam PM people to vote for you (if spamming is detected you may consequently be disqualified for it) or pester members or likewise bribe them into voting for you. Let your art speak for itself. Also, all signature advertising must, obviously, follow the BZP signature guidelines.I don't want to disqualify anyone, and I've tried to be lenient in giving people an opportunity to conform to the contest rules. I don't always have that option if you break the BZP rules, so be careful.For those who don't know how to resize images, convert file types, or determine file size, I'll try to help when I can. If this looks like it may become a problem, I may ask for some volunteers to help.Any questions may be asked in this topic, or you may PM me directly. I may answer questions by editing the post asking the question. I'm sorry if I miss a question in a post, if I don't answer then PM me.Voting:Due to the fact that Brickfair is right around the corner, there will be one round of voting to determine the category winners.This round will last three days. Nice and simple, most votes for each category wins.During the polling, the official contest entry topic will be locked, however, all open polls will have the posting option. Feel free to discuss whom you voted for and why. Remember that peeking at a poll without voting will make your vote null (not count). To hit null vote is to not have voted at all, and you can't go back.Prizes:Each of the three category winners will receive:Awesome, limited edition Hapori Tohu stickers, previously exclusive to BZP Staff!A sweet prototype part and/or small set of their choicePossibly an amazing Lego built trophy (no promises on this one, but we're working on it!)So get entering guys! This one's gonna go fast.

Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Rayg edit - You're the first reply, so I'm going to be hijacking your post to use as the entry list. Sorry! Please don't edit this, thanks.Catagories:Tahu1. Toa Kinliku - Entry2. Hahli Husky is awesome - Entry Thumb Topic3. Fsnorglepuff - Entry Thumb Topic4. Toa Neutrak - Entry5. Vezok's Friend - Entry Thumb6. Toa Kayn - Entry Thumb Topic7. Empire - Entry Thumb Topic8. Lime Paradox - Entry Topic9. Senrab - Entry Thumb Topic10. Toa Zaz - Entry11. CrunchbiteNuva - Entry Thumb Topic12. Takhamavahu - Entry13. Klatix the fire Agori - Entry14. Captain Flowers - Entry Topic15. entil - Entry16. Tohkann toa of arts - EntryVakama1. Terton - Entry Thumb Topic2. Hahli Husky is awesome - Entry Thumb Topic3. Senrab - Entry Thumb Topic4. TD - Entry Topic5. Toa Kayn - Entry Thumb Topic6. Click - Entry Thumb Topic7. CrunchbiteNuva - Entry Thumb Topic8. Rumpelstiltskin - Entry Thumb Topic9. Poutwuw Toa of Diversity - Entry10. Aanchir: Rachira of Time - Entry Thumb Topic11. degnish - Entry Thumb Topic12. DoomIgnika - Entry Thumb Topic13. Shadaki - Entry14. Brickthing - Entry Thumb15. Tohkann toa of arts - EntryJaller/Takua1. TD - Entry Topic2. Toa Kayn - Entry Thumb Topic3. Empire - Entry Thumb Topic4. Click - Entry Thumb Topic5. Toa of Greek - Entry6. Senrab - Entry Thumb Topic7. Hahli Husky is awesome - Entry Thumb Topic8. Aanchir: Rachira of Time - Entry Thumb Topic9. CrunchbiteNuva - Entry Thumb Topic10. Dwanny - Entry Topic11. DoomIgnika - Entry Thumb Topic12. Tohkann toa of arts - Entry13. SkullKid - EntryOriginal reply:Haven't drawn anything Bionicle-related in a few years. This should be fun.I'm really regretting not having a tablet now, though. >:C

Edited by InnerRayg

Starting a new comic series soon.

Let's say I draw Toa Tahu...if I draw the flames from his sword swirling around him, does that count as background? Cause the thing about his sword is that it is a burning flame itself....its very easy to expand it for dramatic effects so much that it consumes everything and becomes what you might define as background.....=PThanks!Edit 1: Ah...I also want to add this....when you say Tahu, I guess you mean the Olda form right? The very first Tahu, not Nuva or Phantoka...but does the 2011 version count?Edit 2: SORRY, got another question....if you look at the second sample, its a pic of tahu with his sword raised above his head...postures like these are going to add a lot of height, more than the suggested 7 inch....will we be allowed more space in order to keep the main body of the picture to scale? Thanks!

Edited by Vastolorde

And this should be close to set-style or we can draw whatever style we want as long as it's recognizable as the character?
You draw whatever makes you happy. Just keep in mind this is going to be viewed at a Lego festival amongst real Lego MOCs, so a human bionicle is really not going to fit in
Let's say I draw Toa Tahu...if I draw the flames from his sword swirling around him, does that count as background? Cause the thing about his sword is that it is a burning flame itself....its very easy to expand it for dramatic effects so much that it consumes everything and becomes what you might define as background.....=PThanks!Edit 1: Ah...I also want to add this....when you say Tahu, I guess you mean the Olda form right? The very first Tahu, not Nuva or Phantoka...but does the 2011 version count?Edit 2: SORRY, got another question....if you look at the second sample, its a pic of tahu with his sword raised above his head...postures like these are going to add a lot of height, more than the suggested 7 inch....will we be allowed more space in order to keep the main body of the picture to scale? Thanks!
The flames will be fine, but if it's going to be so many that it could be called a background, then it's too many. As for which Tahu, I modified the rules to make it more clear. If it can be called a Toa, it's fine. Never said anything about olda, nuva, or whatever ;)The height will be measured from the bottom of the feet to the top of the head. Raised arms are not part of the height. Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

This is pencil and paper, right?I assume full color as well?EDIT, am I allowed to make it movie style? Like, facial expression, hands, etc?

Edited by Darthbrandon

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

This is pencil and paper, right?I assume full color as well?EDIT, am I allowed to make it movie style? Like, facial expression, hands, etc?
Use whatever medium you want. It should be a finished image, and since it's going to be up against a backdrop with color and around sets I would guess it will look best if it is also in color. You don't have to, but this is a design problem and your solution should probably be whatever's going to look best in this situation.There is no rule about what style it needs to be.
So, could I do, like, a sillouette of Tahu, or do I have to fully detail it?
I'm not going to say no to the silhouette, but I really don't think you're going to be able to get far in the contest if it's just a black shape. People like details! Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

How tall should swamp Takanuva be, considering his supposed increase in height after entering Karda Nui?
If you look at the rules, you'll find that it has to be Takua as a Matoran.

Which version of Tahu/Vakama/Jaller/Takua can I draw?Any version you prefer, as long as they can be properly described as TOA Tahu, TURAGA Vakama, and MATORAN Jaller/Takua. If you're drawing Takanuva, that's not really a Matoran, is it. However, Tahu Nuva is still a Toa, as is the Phantoka version.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Are we allowed to draw shadows on the ground, or do they count as background?
You can, but I'm just going to cut them out when I print them so it's kind of pointless.Terton, that's perfect, and congratulations on being the first entry! I'll start work on the entry list soon.

webbanner.gif

Can I have Tahu with fire in his hand?

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Come on now guys, all those questions have been answered in the first post. Any style, any medium. Fire is acceptable as long as it is not a background, and all your entries should be in the same topic. Now get enterin'! :P

webbanner.gif

What about a revamped version of one of the characters taken in a white background?EDIT: By the way, I drew a Tahu on paper but I can't seem to get a close enough picture of it, can I send you the ones I have and see if they are okay, if not I'll redo it on Flash.

Edited by Toa Kayn

What about a revamped version of one of the characters taken in a white background?EDIT: By the way, I drew a Tahu on paper but I can't seem to get a close enough picture of it, can I send you the ones I have and see if they are okay, if not I'll redo it on Flash.
Go ahead, but if you can find a scanner it would be much preferred. Just send me a message and we'll see.Good question on the Exo-Toa, but I'm going to say no simply because if you drew him in that to scale, it would be taller than the backdrop :o

webbanner.gif

Go ahead, but if you can find a scanner it would be much preferred. Just send me a message and we'll see.
I can't see the button to send you a message :/

Go ahead, but if you can find a scanner it would be much preferred. Just send me a message and we'll see.
That's because being a new member you won't be able to send PM's until you have 10 posts.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

That's because being a new member you won't be able to send PM's until you have 10 posts.
until you have 5 posts, actually. the rule was changed recently

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I have a question.Do we HAVE to draw all three characters (separate or not) or can we just draw one character?(Sorry if the answer is obvious or if this question is stupid. This part was just a little unclear to me.)- :b: :c: :2: :1:

Edited by Biocryptid21 (Deadpool)

:I

I recently drew some Jaller and Vakama pictures for this contest, but then realized that I don't know how I'm going to give them a flat surface under their feet to make them standees. It didn't take me long to draw them, so I could potentially create new drawings if there's no way to make them fit the contest regulations, but I figured I'd ask a few questions about ideas I have.1) My first thought was to have Jaller and Vakama standing on or between some rocks, but I wasn't totally sure if what I had in mind would count as a background. Here's an example using a stock image of Vakama. Would that be OK, or would it count as a background?2) If that doesn't work, I was thinking for Vakama, I might have some smoke billowing out from under his feet (since flame is allowed, I figure smoke is also fair game). Here's an example using the same stock image. Would that count as a background?Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. Not sure how long it will take me to color my entries, but if I have to re-draw the characters entirely then I want to get that done as soon as possible.

I have a question.Do we HAVE to draw all three characters (separate or not) or can we just draw one character?(Sorry if the answer is obvious or if this question is stupid. This part was just a little unclear to me.)- :b: :c: :2: :1:
You can draw only one if you want.
I recently drew some Jaller and Vakama pictures for this contest, but then realized that I don't know how I'm going to give them a flat surface under their feet to make them standees. It didn't take me long to draw them, so I could potentially create new drawings if there's no way to make them fit the contest regulations, but I figured I'd ask a few questions about ideas I have.1) My first thought was to have Jaller and Vakama standing on or between some rocks, but I wasn't totally sure if what I had in mind would count as a background. Here's an example using a stock image of Vakama. Would that be OK, or would it count as a background?2) If that doesn't work, I was thinking for Vakama, I might have some smoke billowing out from under his feet (since flame is allowed, I figure smoke is also fair game). Here's an example using the same stock image. Would that count as a background?Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. Not sure how long it will take me to color my entries, but if I have to re-draw the characters entirely then I want to get that done as soon as possible.
Actually that sort of thing would be pretty helpful to me in making these standees. I think the rocks would make more sense than the smoke though.

webbanner.gif

Member name: Toa KinlikuEntry Category: ToaEntry URL: http://www.majhost.c...oatahustars.jpgThis contest got me very excited. I haven't gotten to make any Bionicle/LEGO related art in a while, so this was pretty fun :) Decided to go in a Bionicle Stars direction for this one. It's been a while since I've entered anything onto BZP so I really hope I've done so correctly. To do this drawing, I made a reference mark for the top of the head and bottom of the feet--measuring 7 inches. I scanned it at 150 DPI also--it just seems huge when blown up on my computer screen I guess.If you all need me to clean up my unintended dark speckles in the white background let me know and I'll edit them away (I've literally just uploaded my physical scan with no editing).

Edited by Toa Kinliku
Toa Kinliku

Actually that sort of thing would be pretty helpful to me in making these standees. I think the rocks would make more sense than the smoke though.
Thanks for the quick response! I'll get to finishing those, then!

Member name: FsnorglepuffEntry Category: Toa (Tahu Nuva, Mistika)Entry URL: http://www.brickshel...s/tahuentry.pngThumbnail URL:http://www.brickshel...rythumbnail.pngTopic: soon to be madeEdit: Topic: http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5875I just read the previous post, too. I encountered a similar dilemma - my Tahu is flying, and I do have ideas for making a base, and will be happy to put one into the image if need be. However, two triangles could be attached to the cutout, one per foot, allowing one to be taller than the other n order to make the support level. This can apply to any entry with uneven feet in a 2D plane. Each of the examples given has a similar problem.a_peace.png

Edited by Fsnorglepuff

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

List is updated - I was sort of on the fence with your entry Fsnorglepuff, but in the end I did say any medium. For future reference any photography used in entries is going to need heavy editing to be applicable though - this is not intended to be a MOCing competition.

webbanner.gif

Here is my drawing of Tahu, this isn't my entry, I'm just showing it since I'm going to a different one on FlashLink

Edited by Toa Kayn

Why does size even matter? Can't it just be resized to however large you want it to be printed?

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.