Flash Fire - Character Design Contest

InnerRayg

Member name:Toa NeutrakEntry Category: Toa Tahu NuvaEntry URL: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=507801I would have made a new topic for this but I don't know how :censored: :begging:Also both the uncolored and colored Tahu Nuvas are being entered. I am entering the uncolored because It has a bit more detail that I was able to achieve by using pencil and the colored was made using pencil and Microsoft Paint.Edit: I just saw that you can only enter one drawing per topic. So I will be only entering the colored one.

Edited by Toa Neutrak

-Toa Neutrak

Member Name: Toa KaynEntry Category: MatoranEntry URL: Here!Thumbnail URL: And hereTopic: Lastly, here

Edited by Toa Kayn

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Why does size even matter? Can't it just be resized to however large you want it to be printed?
No, not quite. Images on a digital screen work in DPI, or dots per inch. This is the resolution of the image, and for web purposes most images are about 72 DPI, which means if you measured it at actual size there would be 72 printed dots for every inch. This is fine for screen purposes but when you print something like that it becomes very ugly very fast. What's happening when you resize an image in say photoshop or another program is that it is resampling the image - that is, it is increasing the resolution without actually increasing the information. So it will add more dots, but it will use a formula to calculate what color these new dots are based on the ones around it. Not surprisingly, a computer isn't really very good at this and the more you do it, the uglier and uglier the final image will become. Mottled, artifacts, color splotches, etc etc. Long story short, you need more dots in the original illustration so that you can print it out without asking the computer to make up what they look like. To get the needed dots, you have to do it at actual size (or larger, but that's another topic).TLDR; no, because I want these to look good, and resizing stuff larger never looks good.Entry topic is updating momentarily, thanks guys, so far these are looking good. Toa Kayn, if you would it'd help if you can just make a new post when you get the others up - I probably won't be checking the old posts for edits. Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Why does size even matter? Can't it just be resized to however large you want it to be printed?
No, not quite. Images on a digital screen work in DPI, or dots per inch. This is the resolution of the image, and for web purposes most images are about 72 DPI, which means if you measured it at actual size there would be 72 printed dots for every inch. This is fine for screen purposes but when you print something like that it becomes very ugly very fast. What's happening when you resize an image in say photoshop or another program is that it is resampling the image - that is, it is increasing the resolution without actually increasing the information. So it will add more dots, but it will use a formula to calculate what color these new dots are based on the ones around it. Not surprisingly, a computer isn't really very good at this and the more you do it, the uglier and uglier the final image will become. Mottled, artifacts, color splotches, etc etc. Long story short, you need more dots in the original illustration so that you can print it out without asking the computer to make up what they look like. To get the needed dots, you have to do it at actual size (or larger, but that's another topic).TLDR; no, because I want these to look good, and resizing stuff larger never looks good.Entry topic is updating momentarily, thanks guys, so far these are looking good. Toa Kayn, if you would it'd help if you can just make a new post when you get the others up - I probably won't be checking the old posts for edits.
Thanks for the heads up.Member Name: Toa KaynEntry Category: ToaEntry URL: HereThumbnail URL: HereTopic: Here Edited by InnerRayg

Cool, list is updated.As a reminder, just to keep the forums nice and neat I've asked that you only make one topic for this contest and put all entries into it - I went ahead and merged your two for you. Thanks!

webbanner.gif

Cool, list is updated.As a reminder, just to keep the forums nice and neat I've asked that you only make one topic for this contest and put all entries into it - I went ahead and merged your two for you. Thanks!
Sorry :P Thanks anyway.

im in. gimme.... 2 days. just making sure, i can't put all three in one file right?
They need to be separate files, yes.
Urg, I guess I have to enter this now. Is there an upper limit on DPI? I usually go for 200-300 but I know that can be too much for some printers.
There's rarely a reason to go over 300 for printing, and this is no exception. 150 will work just fine.

webbanner.gif

Just these two, I don't feel like doing any more. I hope it's okay to put them in the same post.Edit: Added topic linkMember name: Empire (Uncle K.)Entry Category: ToaEntry URL: LinkThumbnail URL:FFCTahuthumb.pngTopic: Link-----Member name: Empire (Uncle K.)Entry Category: MatoranEntry URL: LinkThumbnail URL:FFCJalathumb.pngTopic: Link

Edited by Empire

Member name: SenrabEntry Category: TuragaEntry URL: LinkThumbnail URL: LinkTopic: LinkHopefully I got that DPI stuff right...Edit: Why do my pictures become slightly blurry when I go to deeplink them? Is there any way to fix it?
That can easily be fixed by zooming in. Just mouse over the image and your cursor should become a magnifying glass with a plus in the center. Just click, and the image will become full sized.I've been thinking of entering this contest, but I'm not entirely sure I will considering there are some pretty good artists here. If I don't though, good luck to the contestants.-Rez

Okay, will this work? I couldn't figure out the DPI settings, unfortunately.Member name: ClickEntry Category: Matoran (Takua)Entry URL: EntryThumbnail URL: ThumbnailTopic: Topic

Edited by Click

Member name: Toa of GeekCategory: Matoran (Takua)Entry Url: http://www.brickshel...Takua/takua.pngEDIT: Here is my topic: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5936. Also, my name was listed as "Toa of Greek" instead of "Toa of Geek". If someone could update the entry list with these, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Toa of Geek

I really need a better signature.

Member Name: Toa KaynCategory: TuragaEntry URL: HereThumbnail URL: HereTopic: HereA bit large, I will shrink it when I can.

Edited by Toa Kayn

whelp, tablet up and broke, looks like we're going hand drawn.scanning is better then photographs right? (never done this before)
Scanning is much better, makes it high-res and perfectly clear down to the last dot. Just put it face-down in the scanner, connect to printer (Mata Nui forbid that your computer isn't connected already, I don't know how.) through Wi-Fi, and open the software that controls your printer. Simply press scan. If a dialog box for specifics pops up, go with default settings. (But scan as a photo, not a document, or it'll be a PDF.)Hope that helps. Edited by TNG Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Before I enter, I do have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering.1. Are we allowed to mix together aspects of different versions of a character? Like, for example, are we allowed to draw, say, Tahu Mata with Mistika-styled jetpacks or Tahu Nuva's Magma Sword?2. How far can our character's design stray from the original design of tthe character? I know it's a necessity to have the same mask, colors, height, and basic body structure, but how far can we go, really? I mean, I'm not going to stray very far if far at all from the original character design, but what's the limit?3. Would it be considered a "background" if we placed an object, like a lightstone, a Kanohi, or a Kohlii stick, next to a character on the ground? Not too far from them, like right next to them? Would this be allowed?Thank you for your time.

~ DoomIgnika ~ (too lazy to make an actual sig)

Before I enter, I do have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering.1. Are we allowed to mix together aspects of different versions of a character? Like, for example, are we allowed to draw, say, Tahu Mata with Mistika-styled jetpacks or Tahu Nuva's Magma Sword?2. How far can our character's design stray from the original design of tthe character? I know it's a necessity to have the same mask, colors, height, and basic body structure, but how far can we go, really? I mean, I'm not going to stray very far if far at all from the original character design, but what's the limit?3. Would it be considered a "background" if we placed an object, like a lightstone, a Kanohi, or a Kohlii stick, next to a character on the ground? Not too far from them, like right next to them? Would this be allowed?Thank you for your time.
1 and 2 are kind of the same question - basically the answer is that a normal person should be able to recognize the character as Tahu. There's no hard limit, it's just a common sense kind of thing. If I look at it and can't recognize it as the Toa of Fire, then we've got a problem. For 3, I would say they need to be interacting with the object in some way. Otherwise it is just background. For example, holding a staff or a mask would be fine, just having one laying on the side for no reason is kind of silly.
My Tahu is about 6 inches on paper, but normally when I scan something, it turns up bigger than the original. should I just leave it as is?
Check your settings - if it is six inches tall and you are scanning at 150 DPI it should be the right size. You can of course make a smaller version just to show off in your contest topic, but the final submission needs to be a printable size.

webbanner.gif

For 3, I would say they need to be interacting with the object in some way. Otherwise it is just background. For example, holding a staff or a mask would be fine, just having one laying on the side for no reason is kind of silly.
I have both!

What I'm worried about is it being too big, but usually when i print it again its pretty much the same size as the original.
Like I said, if your scanner's settings are at the right resolution it will be an adequate size. Just do your drawing and if there's an issue later on I'll work on it with you.

webbanner.gif

Okay, next entry with the correct DPI. Maybe I stand a chance since Uncle K didn't enter this one. :PMember name: ClickEntry Category: TuragaEntry URL: EntryThumbnail URL: ThumbnailTopic: Topic

Edited by Click

Okay, next entry with the correct DPI. Maybe I stand a chance since Uncle K didn't enter this one.
Hehe, you still got me.

Does the voting start three days from the 22nd or the 19th to the 22nd?