S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Entry period is now closed.

memoirs.png

ENTRY LIST:

Thanks to fishers64 for compiling this! Green color will be given to entries judged enough to be approved officially for the polls (though further judging on them is okay; the green is still tentative until polls are actually up, which won't happen until all are either "greened" or DQed). The list of members after each link refers to judges, and any other important notes are made by either me or fishers.

Nidhiki:

Memory by Exitum:
Toa Lhikan Hordika: Approved
Infrared: Problems found
Edits were made to fix the errors
The First Speaker: Problems found
fishers64: Approved
Takhamavahu: Problems found
The First Speaker: Approved
(Takamavahu: suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
Takamavahu: Approved
bonesiii: Problems found
Infrared: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
(Additional corrections made; approved by Infrared)
[bones: Already approved for polls.]

Casualties by Toa Jalokim
TLhikan: Problems found
Toa of Italy: Problems found
fishers64: Problems found
[bones: No edits have been made to the latest two judge posts, but I see nothing major among the problems. I'm calling this approved enough to go to polls.]

Zaktan:

Rising by Toa Makao
Toa of Italy: Problems found
TLhikan: Problems Found
bonesiii: Problems Found
TLhikan: Approved
Infrared: Problems Found
[bones: I believe several minor issues are unresolved but all major issues have been fixed, and I'm calling this approved for polls.]

Spiriah:

All That Glitters by Magnus Greel
bonesiii: Approved
fishers64: Problems Found
Toa of Italy: Approved
[bones: It appears all problems have been fixed so I am calling this approved for the polls.]

Ihu:

Reflections by toa kopaka4372
fishers64: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
bonesiii: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
The First Speaker: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
(Suggestions given by Click, who isn’t a judge)
(Suggestions taken)
[bones: Already approved for polls.]

The Mentor's Way by Mersery
The First Speaker: Problems Found
(Suggestions given by Codin the Fe-Matoran, who isn’t a judge)
(Suggestions taken)
(Additional corrections made)
(Suggestions given by Willess12, who isn’t a judge)
[bones: It appears to me that all errors brought up have been fixed; I'm calling this good for the polls.]

Naho:

First Kill by TheSkeletonMan939
TLhikan: Problems found
[bones: I'm calling this good for polls.]

Toa by Iku
[bones: Calling good for polls.]

Hydraxon:

Three on Three by Makuta Matata
Toa of Italy: Problems Found

Lhikan:

Protector by Colt McCoy & J. Mascioli

Legends of Lhii by Yio

Dawning Valor by DoomIgnika
No edits have been made as of yet
[bones: Unfortunately some issues need fixed before it can go to polls, and there's no sign that the member is active anymore. The member has been contacted anyways.]

Reysa:

Predators by Toasylar
[bones: There is one issue that will need fixed before it can go to polls. The member has been contacted, and profile data says it's likely they're still active.]

Memento Vivere by Infrared
Solution approved by fishers64
Takhamavahu: Problems Found
Edits made to fix errors
Takhamavahu: Approved
[Technically just shy of the original three-approval requirements, but I'm calling good for polls.]

The Journal by Click
Edits were made to fix the errors – However, one major problem remains unresolved.
Infrared: Problems Found
[i'm calling this borderline okay for polls but with a strong preference to edit two parts that are a stretch to interpret as consistent, but don't contradict clearly.][update: Edits have been made, but I found issues with the last part of the edits.][update2: Now all is fixed, clearing for polls.]

Mavrah:

Dragon by Willess12
bonesiii: Approved
[calling good]

Botar:

Belief by Dual Matrix
Edits were made to fix the errors (note: one error needs to be checked with bonesiii?)
[calling good]

Jovan:

Teacher by Tikiturbo
The First Speaker: Problems Found
[good to go]

Brothersby DeltaStriker
(Error found by toa jalokim, who isn’t a contest judge.)
fishers64: Problems Found (specifically, approved fixing toa jalokim’s error)
[has a few minor, debatable issues. I'm tentatively calling okay to go, but have PMed the member strongly recommending at least one edit.]

Icarax:

Certainty by Baron Von Nebula
[good to go]

Matoro:

Invasion by Lewa Krom
No Response Yet
[several canonicity issues, can't approve yet, but most appear fixable. One might DQ but I'm not certain. More research needed, re: my post.Edit: fishers has pointed out why most of this isn't an issue, apparently. That only leaves a few easily fixable errors. I'll PM the member since there has been no immediate response to my post...]

Gorast:

Hunter's Folly by Felix Dzerinsky
TLhikan: Problems Found (one error addressed by bonesiii)
[Calling good to go.]

Ancient:

The First Hunter by Emissary to the Void
[good to go]

Kodan:

The Last Chronicle by TNT
(Additional corrections were approved by fishers64 and made)

[good for polls]

The Unknown Turaga by ZippyWharrgarbl

[i see one thing that should really be edited but can be explained away, so I'm calling good to go for polls.]

The First Speaker = Mr. Hyde on the judges list (he changed his name back).

[The following suffers from a format glitch. As all that's left is judging I won't bother to fix this, at least not yet, in favor of spending that time getting this thing finished up! The above has been fixed, but not updated. Working on that next.]

---------------------------------------------Welcome to the Bionicle Memoirs of the Dead contest! Years ago we established a tradition of allowing you the members to write short stories taking place in the official Bionicle universe, checked by a team of judges, and the winning stories became part of the Bionicle canon. Previous incarnations of this principle gave you a more specific story impetus, but with this one you are free to invent the plot itself!The theme of the contest is to imagine that a character who is now dead, from the Matoran Universe, wrote a memoir; a diary or journal of their life. These can be focused on their entire life or just one interesting incident; your choice!Now, there are some restrictions, so please read on before starting.BackgroundFirst, I wanna give a little history into this contest. In 2009, preparing for future contests, I asked Greg Farshtey (GregF; in charge of the Bionicle canon storyline), to approve two more contests. The first was a continuation of a previous impetus-based contest, the second was the memoirs concept, which other BZP staff had suggested. He approved both of these; the first has been completed.When we came back from the downtime on this new forum, Greg was no longer active and there has been no further word from him (a new LEGO policy regarding online discussion of employees may be part of the reason too). As a result, with the exception of the results of the first contest, no new canon story has come out since then.But now it is time to launch what might be the very final canon story contest ever. For the record, here is the original quote, with irrelevant bits taken out:

bonesiii: Hey, wanted to run [an] S&T contest [idea] by you, for permission for the winning entries to be considered official....Memoirs of the Dead -- along the lines of your serial for Makuta Mutran; members would write SSes telling the past story of any character, as long as that character is currently dead in official story. Any MU [Matoran Universe] character anyways.Of course, [this] will have judges making sure entries fit with official story. What do you think?GregF: Okay by me

Now, you'll notice that unfortunately how I worded it was that only Matoran Universe characters may be considered.Also, this was in May of 2009, so any character (like Makuta Teridax) who died in later story cannot thus be used. If Greg was still active I likely would have gotten permission now to expand this to SM characters, although I would still exclude Teridax. But since that is not the case, we must remain within the constraints of what was specifically approved.In previous contests, when an issue came up that we who were judging the stories to make sure they fit the canon were not sure about, we could consult Greg to be certain. Unfortunately that is no longer the case, so you will have to make sure these entries are less questionable canonically. If we judges are not sure about anything then we cannot approve it. Please bear this in mind.Another question I have often gotten before is whether S&T contests need to run the final poll-winning entries by Greg before they are canonized. The answer is no; that has never been a restriction that Greg placed on our contests, and stories that won such contests before when he was active were approved without this step. This was an extra cautious step other contest-running organizations have wisely used. Certainly if that option was open to us now we would adopt it, but it isn't, and this will be the last such contest anyways (unless Greg comes back perhaps).Finally, some entries in these sorts of contests have been alleged to be used to sneak canonizing of side details into the canon. While these have often been allowed in S&T contests, usually this is the sort of thing we would have required to be specifically run by Greg, and he was still active during the entry period of the previous contest so it benefited from that ability. Since that option is no longer available, only things that are clearly plausible will be allowed in this contest; see below for more detail.Now, let's get specific:Rules:1) Only one entry per member.2) Entries should be posted here in the Storyline & Theories forum division. They must each be their own topic with only one story post (others may then post reviews in that topic). Then an entry post in this topic should link to the story topic, following the entry form shown below. (After the contest non-winning entries will be moved to the Library as normal fan fiction but winning entries will remain here as canon story; all are revivable as with Library rules.)3) Entries must be no less than 600 words, but no more than 6000 words.4) All entries must be checked by a team of volunteer judges to make sure they fit the canon. You can make this much easier by consulting BS01, the archived GregF quote topics, etc. If you think anything might be disputed, feel free to put the quotes that confirm it at the bottom of your posts to avoid confusion. Judging stage will likely go on for a while after the entry period is closed.5) All edits should be specifically approved by contest judges. Do NOT edit without first asking for and second receiving permission. (Thus you should proofread before you post.)6) Judges may, yes, may enter the contest, but may not judge their own entries. (The contest host, being just me this time, may not enter).7) The judging stage is not related to selecting winners. Winning entries will be voted on in polls open to all members.8) For now no categories are established but I do want to have more than one story win, so categories will be established as needed based on what characters are selected and how many entries there are.9) Once you post, continue to pay attention to your story topic -- this is essential! You wouldn't want to be disqualified for missing an easily fixed story error.NOTE: I will not disqualify an entry that only has a few typos or grammar mistakes that don't get fixed but this is meant to be canon so please take those seriously too. If there are too many such errors I reserve the right to disqualify even canon-fitting entries at my discretion, but hopefully this will not be needed.10) Only use canon characters, except for rare, short cameos of unnamed, average citizens of the islands. Do not name any such character.11) Pick one protagonist (main character), though other characters can play side roles of course. This must be a deceased character, and they must be named (Dark Hunter-style nicknames count).NOTE: First person is highly recommended (as with the Mutran Chronicles) though not absolutely required (this is when the protagonist refers to themselves as "I"). You are writing the character's own memoirs; it's possible they would write in the third person ("he", "she", or their name, by anonymous narrator) or maybe even second ("you"), but it would be very unusual. Keep in mind that (barring telepathy) only the protagonist's unspoken thoughts can be known.Also, you may write in either past tense or present tense; the Mutran story was written in present. It could be written all at once near the end of their life, remembering their past, or written more like a diary so written as events happen, but either tense works regardless.12) Just to be clear, if you're the only member to enter a story about a particular character, you do not automatically win. Categories may be determined based on species or year the character was introduced, etc. as I deem fit.13) Stories may take place at any time during the Matoran Universe's history, prior to 2009 storyline. Consider the moment of Makuta's takeover after he stood up, just before exiling Mata Nui in the Ignika into space, to be the "story present" for this contest, so the character you choose must have died prior to that moment canonically.14) Only Matoran Universe characters may be chosen to be the protagonist.15) Stories may only take place in the Matoran Universe, or at Mata Nui Island, Voya Nui, or Mahri Nui (these were essentially "spillout" regions of the MU). They may not take place on Bara, Bota, or Spherus Magna.16) Do not tie your story directly in with official stories.17) Winners of any other canon story contest may, yes MAY enter this contest!18) Do not use the judge posting forms unless you are an approved judge (see below).19) Obviously, one judge might miss something that another judge catches--DO NOT assume that because one judge has approved, your topic is clear for the polls automatically.20) Make sure your entry is not inappropriate. If it is, it (and you) will be disqualified. Proto may also have to be lowered. If you aren't sure about an entry, you should probably not use it, but you can PM me to see what I think. Please, if you have a question, don't hesitate to ask me via PM.21) Write with a PG audience in mind (not PG-13), or lower. Avoid graphic violence, please. You are writing this for an audience of kids. If I feel your entry has crossed this line, the above rule applies.22) Dead characters you may NOT use include: Teridax, Mutran, Tren Krom, Karzahni (Being), Guardian, and the Bara Magna characters Certavus, Lein, Telluris. (Not sure about Nocturn; if anyone knows specifically when he died, please tell me.)23) Here is a page where you can find not establish them.[/url'>[/url]http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters] Likewise if a particular Tool is known to be owned by them but its power unknown, you may not establish that either. If you feature them you must find a way to avoid unestablished aspects of them being involved. But within reason you may have them carry an old or extra Tool with a canon power for example. Probably in most cases there will be no issue like this but if it does come up this is the answer.ENTRY FORM:[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

[url=http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters]http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters[/url]][url="URL"]Title[/url]Author:Protagonist:Word count:[/url]

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters]Replace "URL" with the link to your story topic. Replace "Title" with what you have named your story. For Author put the name you want to go on the permanent record. "Protagonist" means the currently dead character your story focuses on. You can find the word count using Microsoft Word's Tools menu; count only the words of the story itself not any extra parts of your post such as author's comments.JUDGES:bonesiii (host)Toa of ItalyMr. HydeBallomInfraredfishers64Toa Lhikan HordikaTLhikanTakhamavahuINSTRUCTIONS FOR JUDGES:If you wish to volunteer please post in this topic saying so. Note, I will try to only approve judges that I know to have a grasp of Bionicle canon; a brand new member with no record will not be approved. I may read old posts of your to determine this, but chances are if you post in S&T a lot you will be accepted immediately. That's enough volunteers most likely. Thanks, judges!Your primary duty as a judge is to scrutinize every bit of every entry, looking for whatever might contradict canon, and then to explain to the member specifically what these problems are (if any) and how you would suggest to edit to fix them. You posting such things is in itself giving permission to edit. If you are uncertain please consult BS01 or other reference material as needed. :)Given that BS01 still does not have many old pages fully restored and that Greg quotes are on the log-out archive, don't worry about being certain something is a problem if you couldn't find it on BS01. Better to bring up possible problems for consideration if you have little time than to let it go unnoticed. Use your discretion as to how much time you can put into this. :)Secondarily we want canon stories to not have typos, bad grammar, etc. so you are encouraged to point out any such errors to them as well.NOTE: Even non-judges may point out any of these errors or apparent errors. :) But only judges may approve edits; if you are a judge and you see that a non-judge has rightly pointed out an error please mention that you approve editing for that. Of course, let's not forget that more normal feedback and praise of what you liked, etc. in the stories is greatly encouraged too.If three or more judges approve an entry (including after it has been edited to fix errors) it will be tentatively considered approved, though final approval is up to me.Judges should begin their posts with the following (put it in bold like this) if problems are found:The following comes from an authorized Contest Judge: At least one inaccuracy or error has been found in your entry. After reading this judge post, you are authorized to edit your entry to fix these errors. After editing to fix these things, please post in the entry topic saying what you changed.If you find no errors or if previous errors have been fixed and you've rechecked it, post this:The following comes from an authorized Contest Judge: No inaccuracies or errors were found in your entry. Unless another judge or member finds a problem later, your entry is likely to go on to the polls.After making any judge post in a story topic, post a link to your judge post here in the entry topic using this form:[/url]

[url=http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters]http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters[/url]]As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:[url="URL"]Title[/url] by AuthorI approve this entry. OR I see problems with this entry.[/url]

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Deceased_Characters]Entry PeriodBegins now and ends November 12 at 11:59 PM EST (a Monday). That's roughly four months to write your stories!Judging most likely will continue for a while after that date and before the polls.If you have any questions feel free to ask via PM or by posting here! Enjoy![/url]

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Four months? Dang that's more than enough time to write and edit an entry. I might just enter this contest, considering how long the entry period is.Now I just need to figure out which character to write about and I'll be set.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Interesting idea for a contest, although that's a disappointingly short list of characters to choose from. I would have thought more inhabitants of the MU had died than that.~B~
Well, obviously many more have, it's just that these are the ones that have names (if the list is complete; it might not be). BTW, though, non-named but known official characters who have died can be featured in the plots; they just can't be the protagonists. :) (Such as the Toa of Gravity Lariska killed.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

This is an intriguing story contest. I don't currently plan on entering, but considering the lengthy entry period, I will definitely consider at least attempting to enter.

Another question I have often gotten before is whether S&T contests need to run the final poll-winning entries by Greg before they are canonized. The answer is no; that has never been a restriction that Greg placed on our contests, and stories that won such contests before when he was active were approved without this step.
I take this to mean that the winners of S&T Contest 6 are considered canon?

This is an intriguing story contest. I don't currently plan on entering, but considering the lengthy entry period, I will definitely consider at least attempting to enter.
Another question I have often gotten before is whether S&T contests need to run the final poll-winning entries by Greg before they are canonized. The answer is no; that has never been a restriction that Greg placed on our contests, and stories that won such contests before when he was active were approved without this step.
I take this to mean that the winners of S&T Contest 6 are considered canon?
Yep. ^_^ The S&T #6 winning entries were approved the same way as the previous S&T canon contests when Greg was active. :) Edited by bonesiii

I would like to volunteer as a Contest Judge. I like to think I have a sufficient understanding of Bionicle canon to qualify (not to mention the fact that I have all Bionicle books and comics, giving me lots of reference material), though not much experience as contest judge.Unfortunately, I won't be very active during August (I'll be on holiday) but I should be around during the rest of the contest.In the hope of being accepted, I already have a question on the judging process: how much can an entry be edited? For example, if an entry is found to have an inconsistency that has a major impact on the entire plot, can a judge authorize it to be edited, even though it would mean changing most of the entry?

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

Does Jaller's temporary death count?-Tomdroidser
I'm pretty sure that's a no, since Jaller was alive when Teridax took over the MU.Anyways, four months? Wow, that's a lot of time. I can definitely think of several characters where we got a taste of their unique personalities and world views but died before they could really get interesting.

aouROFb.png

I see Botar is on the list. Given he can teleport anywhere, can his escapades take place on one of the southern islands?Also, on not knowing about deaths. Matoro was a Ko-Matoran, and as such had access to various prophercies. are we allowed to write in some sort of inkling of his future?If it's not obvious from my questions, I am undecided on who to write about.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Toa of Italy and Mr. Hyde, accepted as judges, thanks. :)

In the hope of being accepted, I already have a question on the judging process: how much can an entry be edited? For example, if an entry is found to have an inconsistency that has a major impact on the entire plot, can a judge authorize it to be edited, even though it would mean changing most of the entry?
Basically use your judgement. If you see no way a relatively simple edit could fix it, then you can say so. If you think of one, suggest it. The key is that if you are feeding them very original ideas that would be like writing their story for them, it's too much and they would have to be disqualified instead.
You say not to tie your story in with other canon stories - does that mean don't write anything about what happened right after or before a canon event?
I must admit the application of that rule to this contest is questionable; it's just a copypaste from past contests and I should probably rethink its wording. I do think writing what happened just before and after a canon event should be fine, but just try not to basically "pull the carpet out from under" the canon understanding as we have it. If that makes any sense. Tell of events around it but don't make the event itself seem completely different.
I'm pretty sure that's a no, since Jaller was alive when Teridax took over the MU.
Right; Jaller is not currently dead.
I see Botar is on the list. Given he can teleport anywhere, can his escapades take place on one of the southern islands?Also, on not knowing about deaths. Matoro was a Ko-Matoran, and as such had access to various prophercies. are we allowed to write in some sort of inkling of his future?If it's not obvious from my questions, I am undecided on who to write about.
1) I'm gonna have to say no. In any other contest this is the sort of thing I would ask Greg about. The problem is, I'm not sure who said that nobody visited there. If it was just that quote in Makuta's Guide, then maybe Makuta would be ignorant of it, but if Greg said it (and Greg said a lot, it would be hard to be sure he didn't), then it can't be used. Since it's questionable answer has to be no for this one. Nice thinking though.But you can definitely have him go to any of the other islands. :)2) As long as it's vague, that's plausible. There's strong evidence for that from his choice in 2006 on the 777 stairs, when he basically already sacrificed himself before the later and final sacrifice, but was then revived (I forget if that was a real death or just an illusion though). But yeah, he definitely seemed to have an inkling, and that explanation could make sense. The safest way to go about it would just be a feeling that he might need to die to save others. Even just as a Matoran during the years of Rahi raids this makes sense; something anybody in his position would feel.You couldn't have him think, "Hey the wall says a Toa of Ice will die to save Mata Nui, I bet it'll be me!" though. :P

Are we allowed to write just one entry of the diary/memoirs or does our story have to cover various entries?
Does what we write have to be a diary entry of some sort? I'm considering that my story be written as a first person account of a crime, for law enforcement to read and use.
Both of those are fine. :) Pretty much any realistic variation on the memoirs theme is allowed.

I'm pretty sure that's a no, since Jaller was alive when Teridax took over the MU.
How about the original Hydraxon (and to some extent, Dekar)?-Tomdroidser Edited by tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

That's quite the entry period. Hopefully something'll spring to mind in four months - otherwise I'd better sit down and seriously star re-evaluating my brainstorming process. :PThat said, it'll be tricky - I never was good with canon details. Looks like I'll be keeping BS01 at the ready if I do enter.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

How about the original Hydraxon (and to some extent, Dekar)?-Tomdroidser
Hydraxon is on the list, BTW. Not sure about Dekar though, since technically, he isn't dead.I'm definitely entering this, four months is plenty of time (to procrastinate :P). Would it be okay if I put in vague references to someone who isn't canon? Would that count as "unnamed beings?" Something like one of the Toa Hagah that aren't confirmed, or maybe a mythical monster? (Or both :D, you'll have to read my epic coming soon.)

Ballom, accepted. List added to firstpost.Hydraxon and Dekar -- tricky ones! I think the safest thing to do here is go with the BS01 categorization. Hydraxon is dead, on the logic that his body died, although the copy does have his memories. But BS01 says this about Dekar:

Dekar's memories still lie dormant in the new Hydraxon, but he has no knowledge of his former life as a Matoran.
So technically Dekar is not really dead; his own memories are still in his own body in a new form, and hypothetically could be reawakened in the future. While Hydraxon's "revival" is not a clear revival of the same spirit as with Jaller, but a copy that was given the original's memories, so the original is still dead.So yes to Hydraxon (prior to his death in the past only!), no to Dekar.
Would it be okay if I put in vague references to someone who isn't canon? Would that count as "unnamed beings?" Something like one of the Toa Hagah that aren't confirmed, or maybe a mythical monster? (Or both :biggrin:, you'll have to read my epic coming soon.)
1) You mean a character from your fanfics, basically? I would say pretty much no, sorry. What I have in mind for unnamed beings is more like "a Ko-Matoran" or "a green Skakdi" etc. You could make their personalities the same, though, if it serves the purpose of your plot, so in a little way like that, kinda yes.2) We know there were six Toa Hagah and we know their names from their Rahaga forms, so you could feature all six Hagah, but you could not establish their standard weapons or mask powers beyond what is already confirmed. See this quote from rule #25:
NOTE: If a canon character's innate powers have not been established canonically you may not establish them. Likewise if a particular Tool is known to be owned by them but its power unknown, you may not establish that either. If you feature them you must find a way to avoid unestablished aspects of them being involved. But within reason you may have them carry an old or extra Tool with a canon power for example. Probably in most cases there will be no issue like this but if it does come up this is the answer.
I would be very wary of defining anything about the Hagah's unknown tools at all, though, since speculating on those is so popular. I think it would be best just to refer to them as "this one's Tool" or avoid mentioning them, for example, just saying that "this Hagah did this with their element."3) Having a legend of a mythical monster is probably fine. Depends on what the myth says the monster did, how true it's meant to be versus exaggerated legend, etc. If you aren't sure but don't wanna give away details prior to posting feel free to PM me with more details of what you have in mind. :) Edited by bonesiii

Could I start the story with some third-person narration of a living character finding the deceased character's memoirs and beginning to read them; and then return to that character after they have finished reading?

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

fishers, the list of judges is probably still too small IMO, so more are welcome. Should I add you?

Could I start the story with some third-person narration of a living character finding the deceased character's memoirs and beginning to read them; and then return to that character after they have finished reading?
I suppose, as long as it's very minimal.

Would it be okay if I put in vague references to someone who isn't canon? Would that count as "unnamed beings?" Something like one of the Toa Hagah that aren't confirmed, or maybe a mythical monster? (Or both :biggrin:, you'll have to read my epic coming soon.)
1) You mean a character from your fanfics, basically? I would say pretty much no, sorry. What I have in mind for unnamed beings is more like "a Ko-Matoran" or "a green Skakdi" etc. You could make their personalities the same, though, if it serves the purpose of your plot, so in a little way like that, kinda yes.2) We know there were six Toa Hagah and we know their names from their Rahaga forms, so you could feature all six Hagah, but you could not establish their standard weapons or mask powers beyond what is already confirmed. See this quote from rule #25:
NOTE: If a canon character's innate powers have not been established canonically you may not establish them. Likewise if a particular Tool is known to be owned by them but its power unknown, you may not establish that either. If you feature them you must find a way to avoid unestablished aspects of them being involved. But within reason you may have them carry an old or extra Tool with a canon power for example. Probably in most cases there will be no issue like this but if it does come up this is the answer.
I would be very wary of defining anything about the Hagah's unknown tools at all, though, since speculating on those is so popular. I think it would be best just to refer to them as "this one's Tool" or avoid mentioning them, for example, just saying that "this Hagah did this with their element."3) Having a legend of a mythical monster is probably fine. Depends on what the myth says the monster did, how true it's meant to be versus exaggerated legend, etc. If you aren't sure but don't wanna give away details prior to posting feel free to PM me with more details of what you have in mind. :)
Well, I mean for writing about one of the Makuta, could I have references to their Toa Hagah? Not Norik's team, but, like BS01 says:
Toa Hagah was the name given to groups of elite Toa who once served as guards for members of the Brotherhood of Makuta. Seven groups of Toa Hagah have been known to exist: those of Makuta Teridax, Antroz, Chirox, Mutran, Spiriah, Tridax, and the Makuta of Stelt.
So, technically, Kojol's Toa Hagah wouldn't be confirmed, but could I write about them? Edited by Click

Huh, didn't know about that. Did Greg confirm that all Makuta had these guard Toa groups? If he did, then yes (but without establishing their details or names of course). Otherwise, no, because you'd be inventing an unconfirmed and very important position.

Huh, didn't know about that. Did Greg confirm that all Makuta had these guard Toa groups? If he did, then yes (but without establishing their details or names of course). Otherwise, no, because you'd be inventing an unconfirmed and very important position.
From BS01:
Toa Hagah was the name given to groups of elite Toa who once served as guards for members of the Brotherhood of Makuta. Seven groups of Toa Hagah have been known to exist: those of Makuta Teridax, Antroz, Chirox, Mutran, Spiriah, Tridax, and the Makuta of Stelt. Following the rebellion of the group [Teridax's Toa Hagah] led by Toa Norik, all other Toa Hagah [the other teams that served the other Makuta] were eliminated or corrupted, leaving only Norik and his five companions, who were transformed into the Rahaga.

le-koro_banner.jpg

For a foreword from another character, how much is minimal? Is 4-5 sentences good, or should I shorten it? It's not that much, but I'm just making sure. If needed, I can PM the foreword.

Edited by Chaos Dralcax

aouROFb.png

For a foreword from another character, how much is minimal? Is 4-5 sentences good, or should I shorten it? It's not that much, but I'm just making sure. If needed, I can PM the foreword.
PMing it is fine. :) In general, the foreward's content should be specifically relevant to the memoir's protagonist. So it shouldn't be giving much if anything that's specifically about the person writing the foreward.

Naho's mask is not specified in canon.In the contest rules, you say we can't specify a Toa's tool powers, but would we be allowed to say what mask one would wear?Also, the Bionicle Adventures series are, on Mata Nui, presented in first person, but are told to us in third person. Would that be something we're allowed to do, or is that bending the rules a bit?

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Naho's mask is not specified in canon.In the contest rules, you say we can't specify a Toa's tool powers, but would we be allowed to say what mask one would wear?Also, the Bionicle Adventures series are, on Mata Nui, presented in first person, but are told to us in third person. Would that be something we're allowed to do, or is that bending the rules a bit?
1) No, sorry.2) So you're saying that the actual memoir would be written in first person, but you are "translating" it to third person? Well, some of what I said in rule #11 would seem to ban that, but I admit that's just 'cuz I didn't think of that option. So I will say, as long as you specify somewhere in your story topic (in or out of the story itself) that that's the case, then yes, I'll allow it. :)

It seems like there is potential here for some interesting stories, both because of the fact that it allows for further exploration of events that have not been elaborated upon in great detail and because it allows us to see events in new perspectives. I'm definitely planning on entering this; also, if it would be helpful and positions are still available, I would be willing to help judge entries.

Positions are available; should I go ahead and add you, Infrared?Since this is the second time that's been asked, ten would be a good maximum for judges, I think. So still accepting volunteers. :)

Sorry, but I think that's too major to establish. I admit it would be hard to write about him prior to the Pit without it, but it's possible.

Could we have something written from multiple protagonist's points of view, as if the first one died, then someone else found what they were writing, wrote some stuff, then they died, someone else found it, and so on?

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

No, each entry can only have one protagonist. See rule #11. Also it would be highly unlikely a coherent plot could work that way since there are relatively few dead characters who died over large spans of time and in different reasons, etc.

Positions are available; should I go ahead and add you, Infrared?
If you wouldn't mind.... Thanks!
Sorry, but I think that's too major to establish. I admit it would be hard to write about him prior to the Pit without it, but it's possible.
I believe he controlled the southernmost portion of the known MU (so none of or very few of the Southern Islands; the Barraki didn't conquer very many and thought that they were not useful strategically)....

Positions are available; should I go ahead and add you, Infrared?
If you wouldn't mind.... Thanks!
I believe he controlled the southernmost portion of the known MU (so none of or very few of the Southern Islands; the Barraki didn't conquer very many and thought that they were not useful strategically)....
Added.And thanks for that info. He would probably include Artidax and Keetongu's island, but Artidax was unpopulated, and "ruling" isn't necessarily the same as "conquered" in the case of Keetongu's island. Without confirmation, I think it would be safe to have Carapar's armies involved at the southern coast of the southern continent, though. We know there were repaired Matoran populating that continent -- although it would be best to consult the timeline to be sure that was during the League's time if anyone uses this. Just don't confirm that Carapar "rules" a place. Hopefully that will work.Here's more relevant info:
The Barraki managed to conquer most of the Matoran Universe, with the exceptions of Artakha, Metru Nui, Daxia, Karzahni and the far reaches of the Southern Islands. Pridak was assigned to control the northeastern region, including Xia, whose native Vortixx population were hired to produce weapons for the League. Ehlek controlled the western island chains, and Zakaz. Mantax was assigned to the central regions, and Carapar had southern lands. Takadox commanded the southwestern region, while Kalmah controlled the northwestern region.
This means Pridak ruled the left arm (right on the map; east) including Odina, Nynrah, and Visorak, plus Xia. Ehlek ruled the right arm (left on the map, west), including Tren Krom's Island plus Zakaz.Kalmah being northwest could only have the northern continent, though Mantax might have had part of that. Stelt is probably Mantax's too although I don't think that one can be seen as confirmed. That leaves an odd wording apparently meaning Takadox got the western part of the southern continent, and maybe Destral (though again not sure), and no mention of who controls the eastern side of it. I think it's reasonable to assume Carapar's territory included some of the eastern part and southern coast of the southern continent, plus those unnamed islands between it and Artidax.To sum this up, if you plan on doing anything like this, probably best to PM me specifics to be sure before posting. :P