S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Why don't you PM me what you want to add (and where; include a bit of the context in each case). And make it very minimal, please. :)

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the notice.

Progress report: Halfway through reformatting entries to fix the squish-together glitch. :)

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Oooh, now that this place seems to gearing up again, I might give my entry a quick read through again. Hopefully, there won't be too many nitpicks, seeing how laboriously I combed through the entry earlier last year. :P

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I believe all the entries' formats are fixed. I had to guess in a few places how it was supposed to be, but for the most part I think they're as the authors intended.

Now I'm going through and updating the judgments lists. Any outstanding problems raised that were not fixed, but that I deem not major enough to really matter, I'm making a note about on the list and calling the entry approved to go to polls. We can still work out more minor fixes after they win if it comes up. Note though that for now authors may still fix things judges have brought up, even if I say it's okay without the fixes.

• Upvote 1

>>LIST

Well okay, guess I should pull it and put it back on BZP:

Nidhiki:

Memory by Exitum:
Toa Lhikan Hordika: Approved
Infrared: Problems found
Edits were made to fix the errors
The First Speaker: Problems found
fishers64: Approved
Takhamavahu: Problems found
The First Speaker: Approved
(Takamavahu: suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
Takamavahu: Approved
bonesiii: Problems found
Infrared: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
(Additional corrections made; approved by Infrared)

Casualties by Toa Jalokim
TLhikan: Problems found
Toa of Italy: Problems found
fishers64: Problems found

[bones: No edits have been made to the latest two judge posts, but I see nothing major among the problems. I'm calling this approved enough to go to polls.]

Zaktan:

Rising by Toa Makao
Toa of Italy: Problems found
bonesiii: Problems Found
TLhikan: Problems Found
TLhikan: Approved
Infrared: Problems Found (note: some errors need to be checked by bonesiii)

Spiriah:
All That Glitters by Magnus Greel

bonesiii: Approved
fishers64: Problems Found
Toa of Italy: Approved

Ihu:
Reflections by toa kopaka4372
fishers64: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
bonesiii: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
The First Speaker: Approved (suggestions given)
(Suggestions taken)
(Suggestions given by Click, who isn’t a judge)
(Suggestions taken)

The Mentor's Way by Mersery
The First Speaker: Problems Found
(Suggestions given by Codin the Fe-Matoran, who isn’t a judge)
(Suggestions taken)
(Additional corrections made)
(Suggestions given by Willess12, who isn’t a judge)

Naho:
First Kill by TheSkeletonMan939

Toa by Iku

Hydraxon:
Three on Three by Makuta Matata
Toa of Italy: Problems Found

Lhikan:
Protector by Colt McCoy & J. Mascioli

Legends of Lhii by Yio

Dawning Valor by DoomIgnika
TLhikan: Problems Found (Later approved without edits being made)

Reysa:
Predators by Toasylar
Edits were made to fix the errors (note: one error needs to be checked by bonesiii)

Memento Vivere by Infrared
(Corrections made)
Edits made to fix errors
Takhamavahu: Problems Found
Edits made to fix errors
Takhamavahu: Approved

The Journal by Click
Edits were made to fix the errors (note: one error needs to be checked by bonesiii)

Mavrah:
Dragon by Willess12
bonesiii: Approved

Botar:
Belief by Dual Matrix
Edits were made to fix the errors (note: one error needs to be checked with bonesiii?)

Jovan:
Teacher by Tikiturbo
The First Speaker: Problems Found

Brothers by DeltaStriker
(Error found by toa jalokim, who isn’t a contest judge.)
fishers64: Problems Found (specifically, approved fixing toa jalokim’s error)

Icarax:
Certainty by Baron Von Nebula

Matoro:
Invasion by Lewa Krom

Gorast:
Hunter's Folly by Felix Dzerinsky
TLhikan: Problems Found (one error addressed by bonesiii)

Ancient:
The First Hunter by Emissary to the Void

Kodan:
The Last Chronicle by TNT
(Additional corrections were approved by fishers64 and made)

The Unknown Turaga by ZippyWharrgarbl
Judged by: TLhikan, Toa of Italy, fishers64
Approvals (2): Toa of Italy, fishers64

The First Speaker = Mr. Hyde on the judges list (he changed his name back).

That should be current. :P

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Just to double-check, it would be okay for me to change some minor punctuation, wording, etc. issues on my entry, right? It wouldn't be plot changes or anything; some sentences just don't convey their ideas as clearly as I'd like. I can try to get diffs up on GitHub or something if you want (they're widespread enough writing them all up would take a while).

That's fine.

Alright, done. The word count has changed but is still within the allowed range.

Also:

As an authorized contest judge, I have read and judged this entry:

Rising by Toa Makao

I approve this entry.

It turns out the Piraka (minus Avak) rebelled against TSO 5,000 years ago but actually left the organization at a later point, so the timing of the Nidhiki scene checks out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this still going on? It's been over two years now.

• Upvote 2

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Is there any legitimate reason for this to be put off any longer?

There are like 8 judges for this, including bonesii, and the deadline was November 2012. It's August 2014 right now. All the entries looked like they've been judged, right? Bonesii has approved a good chunk of them for the polls, right? Is this simple procrastination at work? Can polls be put up soon?

I know people are busy. They have jobs and obligations to attend to. And that's fine; I'm one of those people too. I know bonesii has to meticulously read over each entry and make sure it rests within the canon of the rest of the Bionicle world, and I know that's an extremely taxing and time-consuming job. I'm sure he's trying hard to wrap this up, but this is getting silly.

If I sound frustrated, it's because I totally am. Either just axe this contest, or have it move forward. Don't keep everyone waiting while the contest descends into a seemingly interminable limbo. Give an update! Judge an entry! Even just a post giving a rough estimate on when you'll be able to approve another entry would work. Little updates like that keep people interested and less annoyed with slow progress being made.

• Upvote 3

Guys, please quit with the "are we there yet" posts. They only waste my time and slow down progress. And you can watch the progress on the list on the first page. :) And this has been answered already -- posts that just ignore answers given already are spam and will be ignored.

As for it being unusually long, I dunno if yall have noticed, but Bionicle ended 4 years ago. ;) And it's taken this long to review everything necessary for ensuring consistency. Complaining about how long it has taken is pointless, as it took that long for reasons, and I don't have a time machine anyways.

Edited by bonesiii

Guys, please quit with the "are we there yet" posts. They only waste my time and slow down progress. And you can watch the progress on the list on the first page. :)

Sorry, I somehow wasn't aware of that.  I'm probably just over-anxious. :P

Edited by Baron Von Nebula

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

I'm not entirely sure if this has been answered, exactly, but I'd like to pose a question. I was just rereading my entry and some parts of it, while legible and certainly had nothing wrong with them in regards to grammar (that I could see), were... sort of winceworthy to read, to me. Once again, it was not anything that would render it unreadable. Specifically, it was stylistic preferences; some sentences used the same word twice to describe something and it made the sentence sort of awkward to me.

Could I edit these? I will record every change made, and no changes will be made to the story itself, nor to any detail except I'll use a synonym or something like that. Also, if any of the edits come off as too flashy or not allowed (like, I don't know, adding an extra sentence or more than five words, I suppose) I'll change it right back or offer a better solution.

I don't want to be a bother, but as I'm sure everyone knows, even things you wrote two years ago can have major flaws compared to your current writing. I'd like to submit a contest-worthy entry, and apparently me from two years ago had different standards to what I do.

Also, I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I just figured there was no harm in asking.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Yes, since editing is still open, I'm allowing that kind of thing, as long as you do what you said there; ask permission and note every change. :)

Yes, since editing is still open, I'm allowing that kind of thing, as long as you do what you said there; ask permission and note every change. :)

Awesome! I'll be on that soon. When will editing close? Is there a date for that? I tend to procrastinate a lot, and I'd like to make sure I don't miss the editing window. c:>

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

• 2 weeks later...
When will editing close? Is there a date for that?

I now only have three entries left to check, so I'd like to close this out soooooniiiiiish. But no, no official date. I've been slow, so it's only fair of me to be patient with everybody else!

Sometime this year? :P :lol:

So far there's only a tiny number of entries that need major work. All those members have been PMed (one just now). Unfortunately there's been no response from the ones I PMed weeks ago. What I'll probably do is, whenever I get through ALL entries, I'll PM those members again, and then set a deadline, and work on the poll drafts in the meantime. But I'm not sure what kind of time span after that I should pick. I'm trying to be especially accommodating since Bionicle is over; a lot of people don't check BZP frequently anymore. Open to suggestions. :)

If they have other contact information on their userpages, could you try contacting them by other means outside BZP?  I wouldn't know if there's a rule against that, jut a thought.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Yeah, I'll try.

I just realized the format on my entry (Dragon) was still messed up after the BZP glitch, so I tweaked it a bit.  Didn't change the story itself any.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

When will editing close? Is there a date for that?

I now only have three entries left to check, so I'd like to close this out soooooniiiiiish. But no, no official date. I've been slow, so it's only fair of me to be patient with everybody else!

Sometime this year? :P :lol:

So far there's only a tiny number of entries that need major work. All those members have been PMed (one just now). Unfortunately there's been no response from the ones I PMed weeks ago. What I'll probably do is, whenever I get through ALL entries, I'll PM those members again, and then set a deadline, and work on the poll drafts in the meantime. But I'm not sure what kind of time span after that I should pick. I'm trying to be especially accommodating since Bionicle is over; a lot of people don't check BZP frequently anymore. Open to suggestions. :)

That's good to hear! I'm in university at the moment, so I've been fairly busy recently, on top of being lazy in my off-time. I'll get on it soon!

I'm assuming "Sometime this year" doesn't mean anytime within the month?

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

With Bionicle pretty much confirmed for 2015, what happens to this contest?  If it's a reboot, nothing, but what if it's a continuation?  Or they remove parts of the original Bionicle story, like the serials?

With Bionicle pretty much confirmed for 2015, what happens to this contest?  If it's a reboot, nothing, but what if it's a continuation?  Or they remove parts of the original Bionicle story, like the serials?

It probably wouldn't affect too much. These characters are dead, remember, so which one is canon really doesn't affect future story. 

• 2 weeks later...

So is there any chance of this contest happening again? I had a story in mind that I never got around to finishing for personal reasons. It's a pretty versatile concept for a contest, and I'm sure many new people would have stories to tell. Maybe a few years from now?

I miss BIONICLE.

I highly doubt I would have time, but if somebody else could run it, maybe. My plans (admittedly made on the assumption Bionicle might not come back) were to just do a "canon-fit" contest series, where we wouldn't have to be so picky about canonicity as they wouldn't actually be for canon (saving us time and mental energy). Now that its return is confirmed, I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

That's been answered before but as the answer is probably buried: Characters believed dead at the time the contest started are allowed, regardless of whether they later turned out to be alive. :) (Also, Zaktan actually sort of IS dead in a sense, as he's now part of a fusion created in EP.)

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, how's the progress going on this?

Final notice PMs have been sent to everybody (that is mentioned on the list as such). :) They have until early December to finish edits. (At least one has promised to try to find the time. The others, no idea, but not all of the entries had necessary edits.) So, polls should go up early Dec. :)

Edited by bonesiii

Neat! Uni tends to absorb the time and life force out of me, but now that it's pretty much over for the year, I should be sufficiently restored before early December. I'll get the edits done by then! :D

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

You know, I think I'm going to be a little sad when this is over. Seeing how this contest is going is pretty much the only reason I come back here. I know Bionicle's coming back but, at the grand old age of 18, I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I suppose it'd be satisfying to leave a mark on canon before I go :)

Edited by Toa Makao

zaktancopyja2.png

Last of the Matoran Universe (please read and review)