• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#521 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 06-April 10
  • 1,720 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 23 2014 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon. Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

Speaking of which - how many winners will there be?

soundtracks.jpg

#522 Offline unknown456

unknown456
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 10-October 12
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 23 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon.  Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

So no pressure for the participants :P

Also, what about the A Thousand Years Untold 2 contest?  Last I saw, they were in a kind of grey area between accepted contest winners and official canon.

Edited by unknown456, Nov 23 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#523 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 23 2014 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon. Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

I'm planning to have a polling stage to determine that. Haven't decided yet on what the pollable minimum and maximum will be, but probably roughly comparable to the ATYU contests.

#524 Online ZippyWharrgarbl

ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 19-August 07
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2014 - 03:19 AM

I'm planning to have a polling stage to determine that. Haven't decided yet on what the pollable minimum and maximum will be, but probably roughly comparable to the ATYU contests.

Alternate plan: everyone wins. We are all canon. Somehow. 100% canonity is achieved. The Bionicle universe collapses in on itself, leaving the new storyline in its place.

(I'm kidding, of course. 100% canonity is theoretically possible, but not probable in Bionicle's space-time.)

Oh! I'm going about some edits soon, and I've forgotten: do we just post our changes on the story topic, or on both here and the story topic?

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl, Nov 26 2014 - 04:02 AM.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

#525 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 26 2014 - 09:26 AM

Both, but for the post here, you only need mention that changes were made. Put the details (if anything isn't straightforward like "changed everything judges brought up") in the topic.

#526 Online ZippyWharrgarbl

ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Members

• 19-August 07
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 08:46 AM

I did some last-minute edits. Nothing changed about the story itself, I just fixed up some grammar and word usage. Me from two years ago really, really liked unnecessary commas.

Oh! And I know I've been asking some REALLY obvious questions, but I just want to make sure I do everything by the book: Can my edits be put in a separate post? In this case it'd be double-posting (my post is the last one there), but it looks sort of weird to have them edited into that. Which they are at the moment.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl, Nov 29 2014 - 09:00 AM.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

#527 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yes, go ahead. :)

#528 Online ZippyWharrgarbl

ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Members

• 19-August 07
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 09:46 AM

Thank you! c:

Oh, and in regards to the issue in my entry, specifically, naming Toa Naho's weapon: for the sake of having the story flow nicely, I'm leaving it in ('Toa Tool' sounds too clunky and general to me for the scene), but if it gets accepted into canon, I'm very happy to have a footnote or something added to state that it is not her confirmed Toa Tool and is instead artistic licence on the part of the writer. I really like how it is now and I'm really hesitant to change it, but I also don't want to break any rules, so I figured that this was probably the best way to go about it.

Of course, this is all if it gets selected. If it doesn't, I suppose it doesn't really matter either way. c:>

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl, Nov 30 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#529 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 04:53 PM

Actually, could you just add that footnote now to avoid the issue? :) (I can't be absolutely sure you won't go inactive on me later. :P) Though as I said in there, it's already possible to interpret it as not her main weapon. Still.

#530 Online ZippyWharrgarbl

ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Members

• 19-August 07
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 09:09 PM

Sure! I'll get right on that now. I realise you said it's possible to interpret it as not her main weapon, but I don't want to confuse anyone who interprets it as her weapon. I'd rather have a footnote there to clarify than have it misinterpreted.

I don't have much experience with footnotes, so if there's an issue with the formatting (at the moment there's a tiny '1' next to the mention of the weapon, and at the bottom of the entry it says that it's not her confirmed weapon), I'll gladly change it. If it's preferred that the number is removed, that's totally fine.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl, Nov 30 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#531 Offline Archon~

Archon~
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 02-November 08
  • 1,380 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 07 2014 - 04:45 AM

I'm just curious, what is the status of the memoirs? Any idea when the voting will happen, or move forward?
Thanks. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

#532 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Dec 09 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, I had planned to start on the polls this week, but the intense activity in other topics has delayed me. (And some other stuff.)

#533 Offline Boidoh

Boidoh
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 01-January 10
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 10 2014 - 08:43 AM

So basically because of me. :P

Will this poll have a "I don't want the story to be known" or something ridiculous like that?

Edited by Boidoh, Dec 10 2014 - 08:45 AM.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"You once told the Toa Mata that you could not be destroyed, because you were nothing. You were wrong — it is because you are nothing that I can destroy you. You have no heart, you have no spirit, you have no reason to exist — even your hate is a pale reflection of what once burned in you. You survive out of habit, monster, and habits ... and minds ... can be broken."

#534 Offline Archon~

Archon~
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 02-November 08
  • 1,380 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 10 2014 - 02:05 PM

Boidoh grow up and stop trying to flame up every topic you see with your complaints.
And no it won't since it's a contest between fan stories.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

#535 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 06-April 10
  • 1,720 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Dec 10 2014 - 03:54 PM

Two and a half years, and the polls are finally about to be put up. :P

soundtracks.jpg

#536 Online Quisoves Pugnat

Quisoves Pugnat
  • Members
  • Toa

• 17-March 14
  • 190 posts

Posted Dec 10 2014 - 05:03 PM

Two and a half years, and the polls are finally about to be put up. :P

*Cue "Thus Spake Zarathustra"* :P

I suppose it is appropriate, in a strange way, that the last contribution to the Gen1 story will be on the cusp of the start of Gen2's tale.

So is this the end for story contests? And has the moment been prepared for?

damagecontrolbanner.png

#537 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Dec 10 2014 - 07:50 PM

Will this poll have a "I don't want the story to be known" or something ridiculous like that?

Yes, but for a different reason. Old story contests actually didn't have that (probably not the smartest idea lol... but it was a tradition made before the reforms started around the time of the Story Squad), but for this one, there's so many categories with one or only a few entries, I can't have a winner in every category as before. I'm going to have to have "do you want this to be one of the winners?" type questions for the ones with one entry. I still haven't figure out exactly how to handle the categs with two or more, but something like that.

And then there will also have to be a way to decide how many total winners there will be if a lot of yesses win (in a second round of voting), so some will drop off the list then (probably, unless only a few are chosen to begin with).

So is this the end for story contests?

It's the end for ones judged by me. I don't have time anymore (what was your first clue? LOL). It's up to Greg for Gen1, but there's already an out-standing issue that he hasn't read a lot of winners of old ones. So I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

For Gen2, though, I have no idea what to expect. If the people in charge of it want to, and want to do it here, and somebody else can run it, I would help judge some (like the other judges here, rather than having to judge every single one). It's possible, but at this point I have no contact with them, so who knows.

#538 Offline Mersery

Mersery
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 21-September 12
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 13 2014 - 09:59 AM

Oh snap.

I forgot about this entirely. I was planning on doing some light revision, more out of habit than anything. But I'm guessing that opportunity for a quick, last minute one has passed? Or do I still have a chance to do something before the polls go up (to be fair, wouldn't you want to revise a story you wrote at the end of 2012 in 2014?)?

In any case, after all these years (seriously, years!), I'm glad to see this is finally coming to a close! XD

Edited by Mersery, Dec 13 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Animation_Mangaia.png

"A Toa is not someone who has no fear - but someone who masters their fear."

#539 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 14-March 03
  • 19,354 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Dec 13 2014 - 03:20 PM

You still have a chance until the second I post the polls. :)

#540 Offline Nidhiki of the Shadows

Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of Corruption

• 04-June 04
  • 18,391 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 13 2014 - 10:48 PM

You still have a chance until the second I post the polls. :)

Woah the moment is near! The last story contest... Pretty pumped to read all the entries!

-NotS

tahu.jpg

Story Retread Progress:

:infected: Chronicles/Mata Nui (01-03) •  :vahi: Adventures/Metru Nui (04-05) •  :voyanui: Legends/Ignition (06-08) •  :hau: Bara Magna/Glatorian (09-10-11)

Current Year: Fall 2009 • Current Arc: The Legend Reborn • Other: Desert of Danger/Challenge of Mata Nui

#541 Offline toa kopaka4372

toa kopaka4372
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 09-August 08
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 16 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'll be doing some slight edits to my story.

Edit: I've made a few changes, all grammar stuff and changing, adding, or removing words here and there.

Edited by toa kopaka4372, Dec 16 2014 - 09:34 PM.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=7351

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users