S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon.  Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

So no pressure for the participants :P

Also, what about the A Thousand Years Untold 2 contest?  Last I saw, they were in a kind of grey area between accepted contest winners and official canon.

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 1

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon. Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

Speaking of which - how many winners will there be?

I'm planning to have a polling stage to determine that. Haven't decided yet on what the pollable minimum and maximum will be, but probably roughly comparable to the ATYU contests.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Yeah, this'll really be the last major addition to the original storyline's canon. Whoever wins this will be Bionicle's last great storyteller.

Speaking of which - how many winners will there be?

I'm planning to have a polling stage to determine that. Haven't decided yet on what the pollable minimum and maximum will be, but probably roughly comparable to the ATYU contests.

Alternate plan: everyone wins. We are all canon. Somehow. 100% canonity is achieved. The Bionicle universe collapses in on itself, leaving the new storyline in its place.

(I'm kidding, of course. 100% canonity is theoretically possible, but not probable in Bionicle's space-time.)

Oh! I'm going about some edits soon, and I've forgotten: do we just post our changes on the story topic, or on both here and the story topic?

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Both, but for the post here, you only need mention that changes were made. Put the details (if anything isn't straightforward like "changed everything judges brought up") in the topic.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I did some last-minute edits. Nothing changed about the story itself, I just fixed up some grammar and word usage. Me from two years ago really, really liked unnecessary commas.

Oh! And I know I've been asking some REALLY obvious questions, but I just want to make sure I do everything by the book: Can my edits be put in a separate post? In this case it'd be double-posting (my post is the last one there), but it looks sort of weird to have them edited into that. Which they are at the moment.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Yes, go ahead. :)

Thank you! c:

Oh, and in regards to the issue in my entry, specifically, naming Toa Naho's weapon: for the sake of having the story flow nicely, I'm leaving it in ('Toa Tool' sounds too clunky and general to me for the scene), but if it gets accepted into canon, I'm very happy to have a footnote or something added to state that it is not her confirmed Toa Tool and is instead artistic licence on the part of the writer. I really like how it is now and I'm really hesitant to change it, but I also don't want to break any rules, so I figured that this was probably the best way to go about it.

Of course, this is all if it gets selected. If it doesn't, I suppose it doesn't really matter either way. c:>

Actually, could you just add that footnote now to avoid the issue? :) (I can't be absolutely sure you won't go inactive on me later. :P) Though as I said in there, it's already possible to interpret it as not her main weapon. Still.

Sure! I'll get right on that now. I realise you said it's possible to interpret it as not her main weapon, but I don't want to confuse anyone who interprets it as her weapon. I'd rather have a footnote there to clarify than have it misinterpreted.

I don't have much experience with footnotes, so if there's an issue with the formatting (at the moment there's a tiny '1' next to the mention of the weapon, and at the bottom of the entry it says that it's not her confirmed weapon), I'll gladly change it. If it's preferred that the number is removed, that's totally fine.

I'm just curious, what is the status of the memoirs? Any idea when the voting will happen, or move forward?

Thanks. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Well, I had planned to start on the polls this week, but the intense activity in other topics has delayed me. (And some other stuff.)

• Upvote 1

So basically because of me. :P

Will this poll have a "I don't want the story to be known" or something ridiculous like that?

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Boidoh grow up and stop trying to flame up every topic you see with your complaints.

And no it won't since it's a contest between fan stories.

• Upvote 4

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Two and a half years, and the polls are finally about to be put up. :P

*Cue "Thus Spake Zarathustra"* :P

I suppose it is appropriate, in a strange way, that the last contribution to the Gen1 story will be on the cusp of the start of Gen2's tale.

So is this the end for story contests? And has the moment been prepared for?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Will this poll have a "I don't want the story to be known" or something ridiculous like that?

Yes, but for a different reason. Old story contests actually didn't have that (probably not the smartest idea lol... but it was a tradition made before the reforms started around the time of the Story Squad), but for this one, there's so many categories with one or only a few entries, I can't have a winner in every category as before. I'm going to have to have "do you want this to be one of the winners?" type questions for the ones with one entry. I still haven't figure out exactly how to handle the categs with two or more, but something like that.

And then there will also have to be a way to decide how many total winners there will be if a lot of yesses win (in a second round of voting), so some will drop off the list then (probably, unless only a few are chosen to begin with).

So is this the end for story contests?

It's the end for ones judged by me. I don't have time anymore (what was your first clue? LOL). It's up to Greg for Gen1, but there's already an out-standing issue that he hasn't read a lot of winners of old ones. So I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

For Gen2, though, I have no idea what to expect. If the people in charge of it want to, and want to do it here, and somebody else can run it, I would help judge some (like the other judges here, rather than having to judge every single one). It's possible, but at this point I have no contact with them, so who knows.

• Upvote 2

Oh snap.

I forgot about this entirely. I was planning on doing some light revision, more out of habit than anything. But I'm guessing that opportunity for a quick, last minute one has passed? Or do I still have a chance to do something before the polls go up (to be fair, wouldn't you want to revise a story you wrote at the end of 2012 in 2014?)?

In any case, after all these years (seriously, years!), I'm glad to see this is finally coming to a close! XD

Edited by Mersery

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

You still have a chance until the second I post the polls. :)

I'll be doing some slight edits to my story.

Edit: I've made a few changes, all grammar stuff and changing, adding, or removing words here and there.

Edited by toa kopaka4372

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Editing of entries is now CLOSED.

Voting for the Memoirs of the Dead contest is now open!

First, please vote in the MATH POLL.

Next, view the 15 category polls in this forum. Read each entry in a category before voting! You have until midnight of Thursday, April 30, 2015 to vote.

Edit: Copies of every qualifying entry have been saved, so if you see that somebody misses that the deadline for editing is passed and the last date of editing their entry's post is later than December 23, 2014, please let me know. The entry will not be disqualified, but the saved version will be edited back in (and the new version kept somehow or another, haven't decided (maybe just PM them so they could post it in a new post, but hopefully the issue won't come up).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

Should this go on BZP's newspage?  It is the last official story contest for G1.  This looks important.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

• 1 month later...

Hi, folks -- an update and request for input for yall. So, there's been very few votes recently, compared to the initial surge when the contest launched, and we're wondering if the long deadline could be shortened. Are there a lot of people still working through the entries who plan to vote around the time of the current deadline? (April 30)

Or later than a few weeks from now?

• Upvote 2

You'd think a longer deadline would get MORE votes coming in. Then again, I was planning to wait til closer to the deadline, so maybe that's a common choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I didn't get a ton of objections, it's been decided to go ahead and shorten the deadline. New deadline (not counting the ranking poll planned for later) is Thursday, March 5. :)

That still gives almost three weeks to vote, so if you haven't, get to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the voting period is over... what happens now?

I'd also like to know. The mods have been radio silent ever since the end of the competition. Perhaps they're doing an internal vote (quality-control based)?

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Well, the voting period is over... what happens now?

I'd also like to know. The mods have been radio silent ever since the end of the competition. Perhaps they're doing an internal vote (quality-control based)?

More like bones hasn't had time to compile all of the results and post the next poll. :P

• Upvote 1

PLEASE VOTE in the final poll!

See also this post explaining in (insane amounts of) detail the reasoning behind how this poll was set up. :) You have until 7PM EST April 2 to vote in this poll.

Congratulations also to four winners who according to my math from the votes in the category polls have already guaranteed a spot somewhere in the top 6 (the number selected from the average results of the math poll), so these entries have already won now:

Certainty by Baron Von Nebula
The First Hunter by Emissary to the Void
Three on Three by Makuta Matata
Memory by Exitium

The final poll is to decide between seven other high-polling entries which two (at least) will join these four as winners.

• 5 weeks later...

As I said on my profile:

Notice re: Memoirs: Sorry for the delay between closing time and announcement. Math has to be done to be sure the results are handled properly (since the total number of winners wasn't set in stone), and I'm busy right now with real life stuff. I'll get to it soon though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Upvote 1