S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Any time while they were alive, prior to their deaths (since they can't write once dead). :)The mines might be an issue because it's been debated on here with not much clear resolution what was meant by those mines, though. (I'd need more research to be sure either way on that though, this is just off the top of my head and I don't have time to look into it now) There may be such issues with some possibilities during their lives but in general any time during their lives is probably fine. :)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well I am most definitely going to submit an entry without a doubt.Would it be acceptable to volunteer myself as a judge? I would love to actually be involved in one of these contests for once.- :t: :l: :h:
Definately. :) Should I add you?

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

While it seems you have quite a few, I was wondering Bones if there where any more qualifications you where looking for in judges (like experience on the forums or somesuch).-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

Pretty much just that you think you'll have time, which I presume is a yes if someone volunteers. :)TLH, adding you now. :)

Pretty much just that you think you'll have time, which I presume is a yes if someone volunteers. :)
In that case, I'd like to volunteer if that's all right.-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

I'm assuming the answer is no but I thought I'd make sure. Would it be allowed to use the toa of life as the protagonist, thinking back on something the mask experienced? In some ways he is not really dead, but at the same time, you'd have to kill/relocate Mata Nui's mind before you could do that, if it is even possible. The other problem I see is that the mask would be the one holding the memories, and it isn't dead.Another things along these lines, does it actually have to be "written down" by the character? Or can it just be remembering? Alternatively, can a story be told to another character (through words or psychic powers), and be written down by them?

Edited by atvan

atvan

1) The Toa of Life isn't dead; the Mask of Life gave himself a body and then sacrificed it. His mind continued on after that. So no.2) It's written down by them, yes. Like the Mutran Chronicles. But that doesn't need to play much of a role in the story, after say just a quick intro saying who is writing it. However, I suppose if you are saying someone else actually did the carving, but the character dictated it to them word for word, that's a fair loophole. If you were hoping for that to be the Ignika, though, that option is out anyways. The others who are available are more likely to do the carving themselves.What would not be allowed is if the dead character told someone else their story once in passing and much later that living character wrote it down as it would then not be in the dead character's own words.

He's allowed. You can refer to him by his title first to establish who he is, then as "The Makuta", meaning the member of the species or holder of the rank, from then on. Or just "I", etc.Edit: You know, Makuta of Stelt would be a great choice to have a quick note at the start by a different (living) character after he's dead, in this case saying who wrote a first-person account that follows. The person writing that preface could happen to not know his actual name, just his title and location of rule. Just a suggestion. :)

Edited by bonesiii

Some alternate banners for the contest:sandt7notext.jpg

[url=http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5919][img=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Infra-Red/Random/S-and-T-7-Banners/sandt7notext.jpg][/url]

sandt7text.jpg

[url=http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5919][img=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Infra-Red/Random/S-and-T-7-Banners/sandt7text.jpg][/url]

Gallery (with a credit file)Also, should I add the entry period closing date to the calendar?

Edited by Infrared

One question - I'm writing about Zaktan and starting with when the Shadowed One found him in the protodermis mine. Would it be alright to attribute a trait to the Shadowed One (i.e. he is able to "read" others, not so much telepathy, just he has a knack for seeing their deeper emotions etc. in their appearance and expression, that kind of thing, not so much a power as a talent)? Because obviously, it's a bit difficult to think of a reason why The Shadowed One would be compelled to hire a worker in a protodermis mine.Edit - Ok, NVM, I've thought of an alternative.

Edited by Toa Makao

zaktancopyja2.png

Last of the Matoran Universe (please read and review)

I'm planning on writing about Naho. Would it be okay if I describe her past, even though it has not been discussed in canon? Also, the antagonist does not have to be just one character, correct?

I'm planning on writing about Naho. Would it be okay if I describe her past, even though it has not been discussed in canon? Also, the antagonist does not have to be just one character, correct?
1 - I think that's the point of the contest, depending on how you mean that (if you mean a few specific events in her past, then yes).2 - No it doesn't have to be.

zaktancopyja2.png

Some alternate banners for the contest:...Gallery (with a credit file)Also, should I add the entry period closing date to the calendar?
Yeah. And nice banners. They kinda lack the contest title though. :P
One question - I'm writing about Zaktan and starting with when the Shadowed One found him in the protodermis mine. Would it be alright to attribute a trait to the Shadowed One (i.e. he is able to "read" others, not so much telepathy, just he has a knack for seeing their deeper emotions etc. in their appearance and expression, that kind of thing, not so much a power as a talent)? Because obviously, it's a bit difficult to think of a reason why The Shadowed One would be compelled to hire a worker in a protodermis mine.Edit - Ok, NVM, I've thought of an alternative.
Well, that sort of question might be relevant for a lot of people so I'll answer anyways in a general sense.As long as the trait makes sense, based on what has been canonically established, yes. For example, if you look through the confirmed incidents in a character's life, you can make logical inferences about how those things would psychologically affect them, what experience they'd gain from it, how their personalities might affect why they keep getting involved in similar situations, etc. But depending on how shaky your reasoning is, please PM me or ask here before posting anything you're not sure about. :)
Toa Makao's answers are correct, but I'd strongly caution you to have just one "main" antagonist. That's generally the rule in all stories period, and especially so here since these are short stories. But there can be more than one antagonist, yes, and since this is a Memoir theme, even having just one "main" antagonist may not work, as you might choose to tell multiple incidents throughout their life. Use your judgement as to what you think would be most entertaining for readers, basically. :) Edited by bonesiii

Entry period closure is stated in the first post. :) After that time there will be an editing/judging period if needed.Also, rushing to post entries early is risky, as there is a rule about editing once posted, and major changes would then not be allowed. I would advise people to work carefully on it, no rush to post right now, just keep the entry period closure date in mind. :)

Edited by bonesiii

Entry period closure is stated in the first post. :) After that time there will be an editing/judging period if needed.Also, rushing to post entries early is risky, as there is a rule about editing once posted, and major changes would then not be allowed. I would advise people to work carefully on it, no rush to post right now, just keep the entry period closure date in mind. :)
Thanks, I wasn't planning on entering now, my entry isn't finished even if I did want to. I was just wondering if that was why there have been no entries so far.

zaktancopyja2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's such a late reply (I'm working in excess of full time these days) but by the time the contest is underway, I won't be, so I'm more than willing to judge. I've been a solid Bionicle fan for it's entire run, and I know my stuff inside and out. I was a very active member through BZPower's long heyday and wish still to be in our new era, so If you need a passionate, knowledgable, educated judge with a sharp eye for canon, continuity and grammar, you've got one!

Yeah, I added you, thanks. :) But I think with you that's plenty; I've added a note in the first topic that we have enough volunteers now. :) If we do need more later I'll edit it again or whatnot.Also I'd like to remind people to keep working on their entries. I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks; if yall have any more questions about your entries you need to ask prior to posting, feel free to ask. :)

Okay, I have a few questions, if they won't be so much of a bother to answer:I'm trying to write about Matoro, and I feel it really wouldn't be about his past if I didn't include his years on Metru Nui, but since they have to be written documents, could they just have been left by him on Metru Nui prior to his capture and slumber within his matoran pod? Does that also mean I can't describe his thoughts as he is getting into the pod, as he wouldn't have been able to write about it?Using that, could he really not describe his fall into Karda Nui, as he wouldn't have been able to write that, and the only other person who would sort of know being Vakama, who only knew that he died? also, if not, then could a few sentences be put in from the Mahri about him racing to Karda Nui, and them being teleported back to Metru Nui by Matoro?Thank you in advance for your help!

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I'm trying to write about Matoro, and I feel it really wouldn't be about his past if I didn't include his years on Metru Nui, but since they have to be written documents, could they just have been left by him on Metru Nui prior to his capture and slumber within his matoran pod? Does that also mean I can't describe his thoughts as he is getting into the pod, as he wouldn't have been able to write about it?
That all makes sense. He could find the original, or someone else could and could get it to him since it had his name at the start (I'm presuming :P). That could give him the idea to continue it. He could also theorize about what it might have been like for him to enter the pod, making it clear he doesn't actually remember.
Using that, could he really not describe his fall into Karda Nui, as he wouldn't have been able to write that, and the only other person who would sort of know being Vakama, who only knew that he died? also, if not, then could a few sentences be put in from the Mahri about him racing to Karda Nui, and them being teleported back to Metru Nui by Matoro?
Right, he obviously couldn't describe his fall. The story itself should ideally come to a resolution of its own before that event. Then you could have very brief notes from those characters. Perhaps just one Mahri, who could note that Vakama told that Mahri what he knew; that would simplify things.I'm also not sure exactly what is the final moment when he would have had time to write. You might want to look into that carefully, but if your story ends soon enough before that it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'm trying to write about Matoro, and I feel it really wouldn't be about his past if I didn't include his years on Metru Nui, but since they have to be written documents, could they just have been left by him on Metru Nui prior to his capture and slumber within his matoran pod? Does that also mean I can't describe his thoughts as he is getting into the pod, as he wouldn't have been able to write about it?
That all makes sense. He could find the original, or someone else could and could get it to him since it had his name at the start (I'm presuming :P). That could give him the idea to continue it. He could also theorize about what it might have been like for him to enter the pod, making it clear he doesn't actually remember.
Using that, could he really not describe his fall into Karda Nui, as he wouldn't have been able to write that, and the only other person who would sort of know being Vakama, who only knew that he died? also, if not, then could a few sentences be put in from the Mahri about him racing to Karda Nui, and them being teleported back to Metru Nui by Matoro?
Right, he obviously couldn't describe his fall. The story itself should ideally come to a resolution of its own before that event. Then you could have very brief notes from those characters. Perhaps just one Mahri, who could note that Vakama told that Mahri what he knew; that would simplify things.I'm also not sure exactly what is the final moment when he would have had time to write. You might want to look into that carefully, but if your story ends soon enough before that it shouldn't be a problem. :)
Okay. Just a thought though, technically, since Hahli related most of the events from Downfall to him, couldn't Kopeke write the "epilogue" briefly where Matoro left off?Also, BS01 says he worked as a scholar, so does that mean he worked in a Knowledge Tower?

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Okay. Just a thought though, technically, since Hahli related most of the events from Downfall to him, couldn't Kopeke write the "epilogue" briefly where Matoro left off?Also, BS01 says he worked as a scholar, so does that mean he worked in a Knowledge Tower?
Both of those are reasonable. :)
Are we allowed to use quotes? Like, possibly something that was said in a serial, comic, or book?
You may want to PM me what you have in mind to be sure. But we do type up quotes in normal discussions on BZP and sometimes they are used in fanfics; I have myself, so it should generally be fine, as long as it's sparing. Just, if anyone does do this, to cover our bases, cite the reference at the bottom of your post (referring to the quote somehow to people know which part you meant; quoting it again to make that clear may be wise).

Actually, rule #2 says to post them here in S&T:

2) Entries should be posted here in the Storyline & Theories forum division. They must each be their own topic with only one story post (others may then post reviews in that topic). Then an entry post in this topic should link to the story topic, following the entry form shown below. (After the contest non-winning entries will be moved to the Library as normal fan fiction but winning entries will remain here as canon story; all are revivable as with Library rules.)
You may want to re-read the rules before posting to be sure you didn't miss anything else. :)

Oh, sorry - I thought that referred to posting the entry form in this topic for some reason.I'm pretty sure I'm doing the coding for the link wrong (coding if my weak point).ENTRY FORM:A Matter of PerspectiveAuthor: TheSkeletonMan939Protagonist: NahoWord count: 4,957

Edited by bonesiii

As far as non-canon characters go, would it be alright to mention a group of Toa that were killed defending a village? These Toa would not have names, personalities, or anything else that identifies them as characters, and the protagonist would only explain that they had died in battle without actually describing either the Toa or the battle in any detail. Is that permissible or does it stretch the rules too much?

Library

Memory (Memoirs of the Dead Entry, vote here!)

Nowhere Current Status: Complete

gallery_105736_136_2085.jpg

I want to remind everyone that you cannot tell already known story. This came up in a PMed question. I know it's inconvenient, but the plot and trouble and such has to be something new, not a major event we know of but that we don't know the details, because we can't rule out that Greg might want to tell about that someday. Basically, make every effort to write within the gaps.Also, I would strongly advise everybody to read the rules at least one more time before posting, since several have missed some of the most important rules. :) Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the coding for the link wrong (coding if my weak point).
I've fixed it for you. For the record if you're in guided mode (the buttons all active), you can make links by just putting the title, selecting it, and clicking the link button, then pasting the link in there, and it will generate it automatically. You don't have to literally plug it into the code provided in the form if that is not your strong point. :) What matters is that we have the title and link there.Anywho, awesome to see an entry! Will try to read it tomorrow.
As far as non-canon characters go, would it be alright to mention a group of Toa that were killed defending a village? These Toa would not have names, personalities, or anything else that identifies them as characters, and the protagonist would only explain that they had died in battle without actually describing either the Toa or the battle in any detail. Is that permissible or does it stretch the rules too much?
As long as it is not a known team, it's fine. We know that there were many Toa teams, and many have died, so there shouldn't be any problem with that.

As long as it makes sense in Bionicle, I have no problem with figures of speech.

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"A Matter of Perspective" by TheSkeletonMan939I see problems with this entry.I wasn't sure about all of my corrections, so do you think that you can look over the red ones, bonesiii (I asked him to just fix the other ones)?

Edited by Infrared

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"A Matter of Perspective" by TheSkeletonMan939I see problems with this entry, one which was pointed out by another judge that may be too difficult to fix, but I have suggested one (admittedly major change) solution. The blame for not catching that one falls on me since we were discussing his entry before he posted it though, so I would approve him writing another entry to replace it if that is his preference.By the way, judges, remember to post here to give notice that you have judged an entry, as Infrared and I just did. :)

It's not absolutely required but is recommended. :) Even just a subtitle would be enough.