S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

So wait, explain the 'prior to 2009' part to me. You mean the characters have to have died before the 2009 storyline?
Right. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ancient is okay; he died before 2009 plot (as far as I know). See rules 22 & 23 for the details. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Can there be multiple winners?
Yes, see rule #8. :)

It is known that lazy Matoran who sat on rock in Karzahni would be turned into statues. However, do you think that this applies to sand (specifically, a Matoran sitting on the shore of Karzahni)?

I hope you're not planning to write about Karzahni himself; he died after 2009 and is therefore not an option. If you're writing about Icarax, though...

Edited by Angel Bob
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

It is known that lazy Matoran who sat on rock in Karzahni would be turned into statues. However, do you think that this applies to sand (specifically, a Matoran sitting on the shore of Karzahni)?
I really have no idea. The physics there were so wacky, trying to predict them seems impossible. :P

No non-canon names; that would bring in legal issues. Right, stick with the nicknames. :)

See rule #10:

10) Only use canon characters, except for rare, short cameos of unnamed, average citizens of the islands. Do not name any such character.
So that's a yes, with those limitations. I did have in mind that informal nicknames could be used for some of these if you really need someone to take up more time; take "cameo" with some grains of salt there. In general it's best to just refer to them like, "the Ta-Matoran", etc.

Okay, my last question. This wasn't specifically defined in the rules, or in previous posts, but could we give a Matoran a specific mask? It wouldn't have power, so it's kind of bending rule #25. Mostly just for description purposes. :) Expect my entry in about a week. It's so nice writing again!EDIT: Nevermind, one last question. :PCan we establish the original home of a character, if it hasn't already been established?

Edited by Click

Okay, my last question. This wasn't specifically defined in the rules, or in previous posts, but could we give a Matoran a specific mask? It wouldn't have power, so it's kind of bending rule #25. Mostly just for description purposes. :) Expect my entry in about a week. It's so nice writing again!
If it's a named character, probably not (that's been the answer for other characters so far, so I assume that it extends to your character as well). If it's an unnamed character that hasn't appeared in the story, however, then you can.

Is it all right to use a minor story location which was never revisited? I'm talking about that fortress that held the Makoki stone when Lhikan was a rookie. I was going to have it appear as a setting, but during the Dark Hunter- Brotherhood of Makuta war.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"Memory" by ExitiumI see problems with this entry.I wasn't sure about all of my corrections, so do you think that you can look over the red ones, bonesiii (I asked him to just fix the other ones)?

After Infrared's review, I guess I'm supposed to explain here what I changed, so here we go.In paragraph one, "Despite the darkness, a full moon lights my way" was changed to "Despite the darkness, the stars light my way."In paragraph three, "We had only worked together on a few occasions, but from time to time they insisted that we band together because that is what Toa do" was changed to "We had only worked together on a few occasions, but from time to time the others insisted that we band together because that is what Toa do."In paragraph eleven, "Within minutes of our arrival, someone doused the lights" was changed to "Within minutes of our arrival, someone doused the lightstones."In paragraph twenty-six, "Taking a deep breath, I sucked the air out of the immediate area" was changed to "I took a deep breath and then used my powers to suck the air out of the immediate area."In paragraph twenty-seven, "'You can try all you want to win this war' Mimic said" was changed to "You can try all you want to win this war," Mimic said. In paragraph twenty-nine, "The thing about morals though," was changed to "The thing about morals, though."In paragraph thirty-two, "leaving me with nothing but my memoires" was changed to "leaving me with nothing but my memories."In paragraph thirty-three, "my cool dude partner, Krekka," was changed to "my moronic partner, Krekka."In paragraph thirty-seven, "Our mission begins tomorrow at dawn," was changed to "Our mission begins at dawn."I hope I did that right. As for the things Infrared was unsure about, I ended up changing most of them, but you can see my comments in the entry thread as to why I think the others don't need changing.Edit: Here's a few more minor changes.The epigraph (the Les Mis quote) was removed.In paragraph eleven, "someone doused the lightstones," was changed to "someone doused the torches."In paragraph fifteen, the section in bold was removed entirely: "One day the news reached me that the Kanohi Dragon was once again attacking Metru Nui, a city which had somehow survived most of its long history without any Toa to protect it."

Edited by Exitium

Library

Memory (Memoirs of the Dead Entry, vote here!)

Nowhere Current Status: Complete

gallery_105736_136_2085.jpg

Can we safely assume Mantax had control over Stelt? He was said to control the central regions, and Stelt is shown on the maps as being pretty central (which makes sense, as it's always seemed like an island marketplace of sorts to me).

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Click -- Just for the record, Infrared is correct; we can't establish the masks of known characters, but for unnamed characters it's okay, within reason, since such characters are just treated as examples of average people.Baron Von Nebula -- I'm not sure about that particular location existing at that time. This is the main concern with any such location, but if you know that it was, then it works.Toa Makao -- MU beings generally don't have pockets, so not sure how the term "pickpocket" would ever apply? You may want to PM me what you have in mind.Exitium -- For future record, it's best to post the notice of what you changed in your entry topic, not here. :) But that's okay. Anyways, will try to read your entry ASAP.Angel Bob -- I think we can safely say Mantax controlled Stelt, yes. It's hard to get more central.

Baron Von Nebula -- I'm not sure about that particular location existing at that time. This is the main concern with any such location, but if you know that it was, then it works.
It should be fine. The Frostelus weren't said to have leveled the fortress, and I will mention it being fixed up when it is reoccupied.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Baron Von Nebula -- I'm not sure about that particular location existing at that time. This is the main concern with any such location, but if you know that it was, then it works.
It should be fine. The Frostelus weren't said to have leveled the fortress, and I will mention it being fixed up when it is reoccupied.
Alright. :)

See rule #10:
10) Only use canon characters, except for rare, short cameos of unnamed, average citizens of the islands. Do not name any such character.
So that's a yes, with those limitations. I did have in mind that informal nicknames could be used for some of these if you really need someone to take up more time; take "cameo" with some grains of salt there. In general it's best to just refer to them like, "the Ta-Matoran", etc.
Would creating warlords (and vague descriptions of them) on Zakaz that Zaktan was sent on a mission to help be acceptable (even if they make more than one appearance?)

zaktancopyja2.png

Last of the Matoran Universe (please read and review)

See rule #10:
Would creating warlords (and vague descriptions of them) on Zakaz that Zaktan was sent on a mission to help be acceptable (even if they make more than one appearance?)
That should be fine.

Just to clarify, after our entry is posted we can edit it as many times as we want until the deadline?
Only if a judge approves the edits. But yes. The deadline in this case being the end of the judging period, for edits, not just the entry period, for the record.As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:Memory by ExitumI see minor problems with this entry. They should all be easy to fix. :)

A nickname, yes. I would be careful about calling it a "codename." We can't, for example, establish new DH or the like.

Was Ko-Metru snowy at all? If so, would it be all right to make up an area that was thick and deep and covered with snow?
BS01 says:
The Towers reach so high that their rooftops are often covered with ice
That includes snow too, though I couldn't find a statement on it there. Note that this doesn't reach down to ground level. Just the rooftops.

Was Ko-Metru snowy at all? If so, would it be all right to make up an area that was thick and deep and covered with snow?
BS01 says:
The Towers reach so high that their rooftops are often covered with ice
That includes snow too, though I couldn't find a statement on it there. Note that this doesn't reach down to ground level. Just the rooftops.
Well, I was hoping to have an area of Ko-Metru covered with thick snow. Could I make one up, or is that against the rules?

Sorry but I don't see how it could work.