S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Hi, I'm considering writing a story for this contest. I have two questions though:1. Would it be allowed to write from the point of view of Lhikan when he was imprisoned and became a Turaga, or would that be too far from his death?2. Alternatively, could a story be written from Takutanuva's point of view as he died under the gate, discussing an event from Takua, Takanuva, or Teridax's life?Thanks!

Legacy of the Great Beings - Continuing the story of BIONICLE from where the serials left off.

Hi, I'm considering writing a story for this contest. I have two questions though:1. Would it be allowed to write from the point of view of Lhikan when he was imprisoned and became a Turaga, or would that be too far from his death?2. Alternatively, could a story be written from Takutanuva's point of view as he died under the gate, discussing an event from Takua, Takanuva, or Teridax's life?Thanks!
1) You mean too close to his death? I think this could work fine. There's plenty of time both in the prison, and on the fleeing 'boat' prior to his death for him to have written an account of the imprisonment and becoming a Turaga. Just be careful with the rule about avoiding overlapping existing story. You may want to PM me details of what you have in mind, or a draft, to make sure. What you couldn't tell is the moments just before his death as he would have no time to write about them.2) This is a very good question, but as far as I know, Takutanuva is not considered dead, but rather un-fused, just as the Toa Kaita are not dead. Also, the rules forbid using Teridax, and I think using the fusion that was half him qualifies. Good thinking, though. It would certainly be a fascinating story, but can't go under this contest.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

1) You mean too close to his death? I think this could work fine. There's plenty of time both in the prison, and on the fleeing 'boat' prior to his death for him to have written an account of the imprisonment and becoming a Turaga. Just be careful with the rule about avoiding overlapping existing story. You may want to PM me details of what you have in mind, or a draft, to make sure. What you couldn't tell is the moments just before his death as he would have no time to write about them.2) This is a very good question, but as far as I know, Takutanuva is not considered dead, but rather un-fused, just as the Toa Kaita are not dead. Also, the rules forbid using Teridax, and I think using the fusion that was half him qualifies. Good thinking, though. It would certainly be a fascinating story, but can't go under this contest.
Yeah, that was what I meant. Okay, thanks for the clarifications! I'll get to writing.Actually, I have another question specific to my story but I can't use the PM system yet. Can my memoir be about Lhikan just after he became a Toa but before he participated in the battle with the Frostelus? (He would write it while in his cell after he had become a Turaga but before encountering the new Toa.) Edited by CaptainLepidus

Legacy of the Great Beings - Continuing the story of BIONICLE from where the serials left off.

Yes. :) BTW, you can also email me if you can't PM yet, at bonesiii@gmail.com.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Can the story be done in the format of a journal that the character kept, rather than a memoir?
Yes.
Also, you may write in either past tense or present tense; the Mutran story was written in present. It could be written all at once near the end of their life, remembering their past, or written more like a diary so written as events happen, but either tense works regardless.
Emphasis mine. Edited by fishers64

It has to have been written by the character, since that's the contest theme. Most of the time this is not a problem for any of the characters, it's only a problem as the moments leading up to their deaths occurs, which is why those cannot be included. :) Who do you mean when you say it barely makes sense for any of them?

It has to have been written by the character, since that's the contest theme. Most of the time this is not a problem for any of the characters, it's only a problem as the moments leading up to their deaths occurs, which is why those cannot be included. :) Who do you mean when you say it barely makes sense for any of them?
I can't really picture most of the Makuta who were in Karda Nui sitting down to write their memoirs, at least while being there. :shrugs:~Mentos Fruit Edited by Mentos Fruit

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Well, that's something you can take into consideration, and focus on times before they went there. :) Others may take a different tack, but voters may agree with you. :) (I do think there was enough time for a short-story-length tale there, but it would be more plausible if most of the time was spent on past times.)

Since it's a new page, I'll post this again.Here is a list of characters you can write aboutAncientAntrozBitilBotarCaraparChiroxGorastHydraxon (the original)IhuIcaraxJovanKarzahni (the plant)KodanKojolKrekkaKrikaLhikanMatoroMavrahMorbuzakhMutranNahoNidhikiNikilaNocturnReysaSidorakSpiriahTridaxVamprahZaktanI hope there can be winning entries for all these characters.

Edited by Magnetic Vorahk
I miss BIONICLE.

• 2 weeks later...
Um i am new to BZPower and i don't know what PM is or how to use it.I would be most grateful to know how to contact you because i have a couple questions.
Yes. :) BTW, you can also email me if you can't PM yet, at bonesiii@gmail.com.

With these new revelations about the Red Star, should we put Mavrah in now? I mean, for all we know, all these people could be on the Red Star, so we might as well put Mavrah in, too, right?

I don't those revelations will affect the contest.

Unless a character on the list is actually on the red star or everyone who is dead is still on the red star.

I do believe that bonesiii said the contest will continue even with the revelations, back don't quote me. So I think we don't have to worry about the recent revelations but we should keep an eye on them.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

With these new revelations about the Red Star, should we put Mavrah in now? I mean, for all we know, all these people could be on the Red Star, so we might as well put Mavrah in, too, right?

I don't those revelations will affect the contest.

Unless a character on the list is actually on the red star or everyone who is dead is still on the red star.

I do believe that bonesiii said the contest will continue even with the revelations, back don't quote me. So I think we don't have to worry about the recent revelations but we should keep an eye on them.

Well, I'm just thinking that, as Mavrah is (or was) dead, and any other dead characters that you would be allowed to write about could be on the Red Star with him, he should be allowed to be written about.

Also, what of the Morbuzakh and tha Karzahni plant?

I miss BIONICLE.

I was actually wondering along the same lines if I should allow Mavrah now. We could just set "story present" at 2009 and say anyone thought dead then is in (since we're not allowing deaths after that anyways). Also, the main reason I ruled him out is that I wasn't certain he had actually died; I thought he may have just been lost and teleported up to the RS. Now it is confirmed he died. On the other hand, no other MU character confirmed a body. It's confusing. :PWould anyone object to me allowing Mavrah? It's a bit late in the entry period to add someone, but I'm seriously considering it.Morby and Karzplanti are allowed. They're on the BS01 list, and I did not rule them out in rule 22:

22) Dead characters you may NOT use include: Teridax, Mutran, Tren Krom, Karzahni (Being), Guardian, and the Bara Magna characters Certavus, Lein, Telluris. (Not sure about Nocturn; if anyone knows specifically when he died, please tell me.)
(Question still open about Nocturn, if anyone knows what source that's from...)However, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where either plant being would write a memoir. :P

Nocturn's death was mentioned briefly in Makuta's Guide to the Universe, I think, or maybe another encyclopedia circa 2008. It was fairly abrupt.

Edited by Angel Bob
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Nocturn's death was mentioned briefly in Makuta's Guide to the Universe, I think, or maybe another encyclopedia circa 2008. It was fairly abrupt.
Hm, an excerpt from that on BS01 says:
My solution was, of course, brilliant. I forced Mata Nui's mind and spirit into the mask, and then ejected the mask into the void beyond this universe, beyond the world upon which I stood. I know not where the mask will land, if it ever does, nor do I care. Of one thing I am certain - I have nothing more to fear from Mata Nui.
So it seems that source is set at least a little into 2009, so it's possible Nocturn died after the cutoff point for this contest. Alright.Anywho, back to my question on Mavrah. Any objections to allowing entries about him, folks?

If there's no objections by the beginning of Friday EST, put him in. :)

• 3 weeks later...

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:All That Glitters by Magnus GreelI approve this entry.In other news, I hope people haven't forgotten about this contest. Entry period closes in about a month from now!

I guess I can't write about Bohrok then, since they're not technically alive?
More importantly, they wouldn't be writing memoirs. But correct. :P

Yes. How many will be determined by how many people enter and the like (the more the merrier :)).

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:Reflections by toa kopaka4372I approve this entry.

The word count of my story has changed, can I edit my entry form to reflect that?
Yes, you have my permission. :)