LEGO MANIA Magazine Archive?

emily

I recently aquired most of the rest of the MANIA Magazines (the LEGO Club Magazine Winter 1994 to March-April 2002) I hadn't already via Bricklink and I began to wonder whether it might be a good idea to upload the magazines for anyone to read. On numerous occasions, I have seen people mention how they wish something like this existed but it seems it has never been done.The BioMedia Project has generously offered to host the magazines. They are currently being added to [a page on a website with forums] page, and later will find a home on Project Brick when it is launched.

Edited by Tazakk
  • Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I'd love to see something like this done. Go ahead. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I recently aquired most of the rest of the MANIA Magazines (the LEGO Club Magazine Winter 1994 to March-April 2002) I hadn't already via Bricklink and I began to wonder whether it might be a good idea to upload the magazines for anyone to read. On numerous occasions, I have seen people mention how they wish something like this existed but it seems it has never been done.Still, such a task is quite large and I thought I should ask around to see if there is enough interest before undertaking it.So, my question to you is: Would you like to be able to access and read LEGO MANIA Magazines online?
This would be awesome. Are they in good condition? And are you planning to host them on your own website, or have you approached established Lego sites to see if they'd like to host them? I know a number of websites specializing in instruction scans or other Lego databases which would definitely like to have magazine scans as well. My only concern if you hosted them on another site would be whether that site would be linkable on BZPower.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

This would be awesome. Are they in good condition? And are you planning to host them on your own website, or have you approached established Lego sites to see if they'd like to host them? I know a number of websites specializing in instruction scans or other Lego databases which would definitely like to have magazine scans as well. My only concern if you hosted them on another site would be whether that site would be linkable on BZPower.
Most of the issues are in near perfect condition, however I got them from a variety of sellers so some of them are a little worse for wear (March-April 1995 and January-Febuary 1997 are the worst).I was actually quite uncertain as to where I might upload the magazines. I was considering Brickshelf or perhaps making a website using some free website maker. However, putting them on an already established LEGO site would probably be better- that way, more people would be likely to notice and enjoy the magazines. What site specifically were you thinking of? I know Brickset already has several Bricks n' Pieces issues...

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Thanks for your replies, everyone!
Most of the issues are in near perfect condition, however I got them from a variety of sellers so some of them are a little worse for wear (March-April 1995 and January-Febuary 1997 are the worst).I was actually quite uncertain as to where I might upload the magazines. I was considering Brickshelf or perhaps making a website using some free website maker. However, putting them on an already established LEGO site would probably be better- that way, more people would be likely to notice and enjoy the magazines. What site specifically were you thinking of? I know Brickset already has several Bricks n' Pieces issues...
Brickset was one of the ones I was considering, especially since it is, in fact linkable on BZP. Not to mention that unlike many instruction booklet resources, it is an English-language site.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The BioMedia Project has generously offered to host the magazines. They will be appearing on [a page on a website with forums] page, and later will find a home on Project Brick when it is launched.

Edited by Tazakk

If it were readily available to us, yeah, I'd definitely read it!
Oh man, I fully support the nostalgia something like this would create.
I should've edited the first post earlier, but that's fixed now. The magazines uploaded so far are linked to on the bottom of [A page on a website with forums] page, with more coming every day. Edited by Tazakk

If it were readily available to us, yeah, I'd definitely read it!
I should've edited the first post earlier, but that's fixed now. The magazines uploaded so far are linked to on the bottom of this page, with more coming every day.
Sweet, thank you, sire! :)

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Looking at these old issues almost makes me feel like I was a kid again. The Lego Mania Magazine was so much better than the barely-concealed advertisements that the current Lego mags are. It's crazy to think that its been years since TLC has printed a single building instruction in its pages. And you got to love how much effort the old mags put into connecting the playthemes with real world subjects - toys don't have to be totally vapid, you know.Thanks for doing this, Tazakk! :)

• Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Sweet, thank you, sire! :)
Looking at these old issues almost makes me feel like I was a kid again. The Lego Mania Magazine was so much better than the barely-concealed advertisements that the current Lego mags are. It's crazy to think that its been years since TLC has printed a single building instruction in its pages. And you got to love how much effort the old mags put into connecting the playthemes with real world subjects - toys don't have to be totally vapid, you know.Thanks for doing this, Tazakk! :)
My pleasure! Be sure to thank -Auron- and the Biomedia Project, too. As you can probably tell from his post, he has contributed a lot to making this happen.

I should've edited the first post earlier, but that's fixed now. The magazines uploaded so far are linked to on the bottom of this page, with more coming every day.
Awesome, I didn't catch that, I'll definitely check them out.

I saw on another topic that the BioMedia Project is getting set to launch it's forums, so the links to the magazines have been removed. If you cannot find them, try Google.

Edited by Tazakk

• 2 weeks later...
Post them please. I never got to read them.
I am not cetain that I can link to them directly here. Try running a Google search for "LEGO MANIA Magazine 1995" and see what pops up.

I don't have the Winter 1994 issue or the January/Febuary 1995 issue, but I know someone else uploaded them to the internet before and I have the pages saved on my computer. I may upload the pages as part of the archive if I get the original uploader's permission, but until then you may be able to find their original scans (I can't link to them here). Their copy of the 1995 issue is missing a page, the first half of the Adventures of the LEGO Maniac comic.

Are there any plans to scan the Club Magazines, or are they already in pdf form somewhere? I'd love to be able to back up my entire Lego Magazine collection on my computer, but I think I only have one Mania, if any, and the rest are Club.

Are there any plans to scan the Club Magazines, or are they already in pdf form somewhere? I'd love to be able to back up my entire Lego Magazine collection on my computer, but I think I only have one Mania, if any, and the rest are Club.
There are no definite plans, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I do not know if -Auron- would be interested in hosting any Club Magazines or the LEGO Magazines in between them and MANIA. I do have the majority of them, though, and I'm open to the idea of uploading scans.I think it would be better if I made a descision after the school year has started, so I know how much time I will have to be working with. That way, I can decide if I could realistically undertake the project.I'm not aware of pdfs of the magazines existing anywhere, except maybe the most recent of them on LEGO's website. Edited by Tazakk

There are no definite plans, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I do not know if -Auron- would be interested in hosting any Club Magazines or the LEGO Magazines in between them and MANIA. I do have the majority of them, though, and I'm open to the idea of uploading scans.I think it would be better if I made a descision after the school year has started, so I know how much time I will have to be working with. That way, I can decide if I could realistically undertake the project.I'm not aware of pdfs of the magazines existing anywhere, except maybe the most recent of them on LEGO's website.
I guess I was thinking of the pdfs you made of the Manias. At least, they're pdfs now, if you didn't do it. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens, then.

I guess I was thinking of the pdfs you made of the Manias. At least, they're pdfs now, if you didn't do it. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens, then.
Ah, I see. Just to clarify, if I am not mistaken it is in fact -Auron- who makes the pdf files out of the scans I upload.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine found these, and I just want to say, thank you very much.
Certainly!As a general announcment, I would just like to say that I am still uploading issues and that they will be viewable eventually. At the moment, the BioMedia Project is transitioning to Wordpress, and so they (understandably) do not have the time to add magazines to the site.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the scans! Most recently, I checked out the two you have up from 2002 -- very nice to see. My subscription had run out at the time, and despite having received Mania for years, I didn't renew until ... well, until just recently. So I was seeing those ones for the first time!On that note, you mentioned you would be open to uploading scans of later magazines. Since you have them all, I was wondering if you could help a severly OCD person (myself) out with a few questions I have been burning to find the answers to:1) BS01 mentions that information reguarding the canceled Bionicle Legends #7 book was released through the LEGO magazine (about "the cord"). Is this true, and is the information substantive?2) I was wondering if you knew if there was any substantive BIONICLE storyline information released through the LEGO magazine from 2002-2008. I'm not talking about the kind of fluff pages you see in the MANIA magazines, but more like the "Tale of the Toa" from the PDF version of the fourth BIONICLE comic.Someone told me that there were bonus profiles of Dark Hunters (not included in the book) released through BrickMaster -- I wish I had scans of those, but such is life. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to track down or if you might be willing to share some scans of things I'm hoping to add to my digital collection.

Edited by TehBestMemberEvar!1

Thanks for the scans! Most recently, I checked out the two you have up from 2002 -- very nice to see. My subscription had run out at the time, and despite having received Mania for years, I didn't renew until ... well, until just recently. So I was seeing those ones for the first time!On that note, you mentioned you would be open to uploading scans of later magazines. Since you have them all, I was wondering if you could help a severly OCD person (myself) out with a few questions I have been burning to find the answers to:1) BS01 mentions that information reguarding the canceled Bionicle Legends #7 book was released through the LEGO magazine (about "the cord"). Is this true, and is the information substantive?2) I was wondering if you knew if there was any substantive BIONICLE storyline information released through the LEGO magazine from 2002-2008. I'm not talking about the kind of fluff pages you see in the MANIA magazines, but more like the "Tale of the Toa" from the PDF version of the fourth BIONICLE comic.Someone told me that there were bonus profiles of Dark Hunters (not included in the book) released through BrickMaster -- I wish I had scans of those, but such is life. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to track down or if you might be willing to share some scans of things I'm hoping to add to my digital collection.
Are the magazines back up? That's funny. For some reason, I couldn't see them on the BMP site. :P1. I'm pretty certain I would have remembered anything like this if it had ever happened, but I have a tendency to forget things like that. If there was anything, it was probably minimal and is already well-circulated around the internet. I'll double check and get back to you on that one, though.2. Generally, it's fluff. Brickmaster had a few more in-depth BIONICLE themed features, but I don't think they introduced anything new. Oh wait! I just read your last sentence and that jogged my memory. Yes, there were two (possibly three?) exclusive Dark Hunters in LEGO Magazine. I'll dig those issues out and scan the pages. Edited by Tazakk

The files are always up in the "bmp/files" folder of the site in question. That's the URL they directed us to when the site was down. You can click on the "LEGO" folder and you should be able to find the scans from there.

1. I'm pretty certain I would have remembered anything like this if it had ever happened, but I have a tendency to forget things like that. If there was anything, it was probably minimal and is already well-circulated around the internet. I'll double check and get back to you on that one, though.
Thanks! It's hard to know how accurate the information is from BS01. One of the problems that comes from discussing a "kids" franchise is people spreading misinformation more so than other topics. (If you recall the discussion about the alpha build of "The Legend of Mata Nui" PC game, people made bizarre claims that had no basis, and directly contradicted the emails I got from a few of the developers.)
2. Generally, it's fluff. Brickmaster had a few more in-depth BIONICLE themed features, but I don't think they introduced anything new. Oh wait! I just read your last sentence and that jogged my memory. Yes, there were two (possibly three?) exclusive Dark Hunters in LEGO Magazine. I'll dig those issues out and scan the pages.
Oooh ... that would be cool, if you have them! I don't want to be a burden, but I thought I'd mention them since you have the magazines, and have proved to be a reliable source of awesomeness in the past (when you started a topic for posting those "Legend of Lewa" comics, I bookmarked your brickshelf account -- it seems I missed a few things, like the 2001 version of the Bohrok comic scans, but the point is you're an authority on this kinda stuff to me).

I discovered this website when I was looking for scans of other magazines besides the mania, and I thought I'd share it here so others could benefit from it. It has magazines in a bunch of languages, and the English ones are at the bottom.

Oooh ... that would be cool, if you have them! I don't want to be a burden, but I thought I'd mention them since you have the magazines, and have proved to be a reliable source of awesomeness in the past (when you started a topic for posting those "Legend of Lewa" comics, I bookmarked your brickshelf account -- it seems I missed a few things, like the 2001 version of the Bohrok comic scans, but the point is you're an authority on this kinda stuff to me).
Here you go! I would be more than happy to re-upload the Bohrok comic, too - I was cleaning up my Brickshelf folder when I deleted that as I didn't think it was relevant to anyone but myself.It's nice to hear that I am a reliable source of awesomeness!

Here you go! I would be more than happy to re-upload the Bohrok comic, too - I was cleaning up my Brickshelf folder when I deleted that as I didn't think it was relevant to anyone but myself.
Thank you! I also looked through the available English language magazine scans from the link that Toa of the Blazing Inferno posted, and while they don't appear to have either of the scans you posted, they had one more Dark Hunter I didn't recognize. So looks like your gut instinct was right and there is a third!Anyway, on that note, I was able to look through a bunch of the magazines I didn't have. They didn't have Brickmaster, but everything in the regular magazines looked like fluff. If you happen upon something that resembles an actual story or blog or whatever, I'd love to hear about it, but it looks like I'm not missing anything from the regular magazine if the available issues they had were any indication.As far as the Bohrok comic with words, I'd love to see that, but feel free to take your time -- I'm not in a huge rush. I'm just grateful you're helping me out with scans and information!
It's nice to hear that I am a reliable source of awesomeness!
Yup! It's true. Your posts are always good.In the spirit of milking this topic for all it's worth, does anyone still have the back side of the poster that came with the PowerPack? There's an ad for Bionicle.com in the lower right corner that shows the profile of Pohatu, and since I no longer have the original, I can't remember if the text is readable. I'm wondering because comic #2 says to go to Bionicle.com/Pohatu to find out how he got his first Great Mask, and the Wayback Machine never archived that page, and I wonder if the screen grab on the poster has that information.

• 9 years later...

I’m sorry to be a necromancer but much of these files seem to have gone off of the BMP site, does anyone still possess an archive of these or can direct me to one? This looked like the strongest archive of the back issues and if it still exists I would dearly love to preserve them.

Edited by Forsyth
Typo

good thing i decided to poke back in on the site today. this archive is still on bmp's server, just not linked on the site presently. i have a directory of lego mag scans (mine and other's) that ive found online, here on my site: https://emilyinternet.zone/realm/scans.html. you can find everything there. enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh cool, I didn't know this was here! I'll have to check those out sometime, too... for nostalgia, but also to find out how much story content of the time never made it into the international versions of the magazines. I suspect there was quite a lot...

I'd find it so cool if this was done for the Lego Adventures magazine, too. I could have done it myself, when I was a kid, since I collected every issue; but at the time it didn't even occur to me to preserve them for the future... and since they were UK exclusive, it's very hard to find copies of most of them nowadays. I know brickipedia has a few issues, and there are some more of the comics scanlated from another language publication on brickshelf, but there's still a lot of content - especially from the later issues - missing.

When the Trouble for Tahu / Time of the Toa comics, from the last two issues of the magazine's run, were added to Biomedia, I was hopeful that means a whole stash of the magazines had been discovered, and that the rest of their content would follow somewhere in due course, but I haven't seen them turn up. Do you know if there's a complete archive of them anywhere online, too?

In any case, this is an amazing resource; thanks! :D

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

1 hour ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

In any case, this is an amazing resource; thanks! :D

thank you!! im happy for anyone to get some use out of it. it's got listed all the scans i'm aware of for Adventures, too - probably the same ones you've seen on brickipedia, though.

those two comics were contributed to bmp by PANGOLIN_2, who only scanned them specifically. iirc he didnt have a setup ideal for scanning, but wanted to contribute those since theyre fairly significant from a bionicle perspective.

• Like 1