Can Matoran Universe Beings' Metal Heal?

If a Matoran Universe inhabitant's metal parts are damaged, will they heal, or will the injured being need to be repaired? I know some species, like Nocturn's, can regenerate (strangely, it was the metal part of his arm and not the organic tentacle that grew back), but if, say, a Vortixx or a Matoran breaks a bone, does he or she need to have it replaced or welded back together? Do lacerations in their outer shell go away over time, just as our skin can heal, or do they need to have that welded or bolted back together?

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Given that the metal parts seem to be part of a living organism, I would say that they can indeed heal. Healing abilities such as Gali demonstrated appear to heal based on energy, so it probably wouldn't be much for a stretch for metal components of a biomechanical being to be healed in such a way. Lacerations on the outsides I expect may not always go away, just as humans can scar.~B~

I think it's some of both depending on the circumstances. Healing powers should be able to reshape the metal. But rebuilding or physically re-bending are also options if that's not available.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I remember when Tahu fought Zaktan, both of them got pretty cut up. MUians can't tote injuries all the time, so they have to have some way to heal. I don't know if their methods have been revealed, but because it's never been mentioned, perhaps they regenerate over time.

banner.png

Well, a lot of heroes are called "battle scarred," and many descriptions (although many of them from fan-fic) describe scratched, dented, rusted, or scarred armor, so I'm thinking that the metal (or at least armor) doesn't naturally heal, but the organics can. I don't know though, it could be a kind of "organic metal." We've seen stranger things in the MU.

If their metal could heal on its own, it could leave scars, as with organic tissue. Or scars could be marks of repairs -- lines from where things have been welded or riveted back together.

My Blog

My Story Collection

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

But that was when Gali healed him, right? I'm talking about natural regeneration.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

Don't forget the first toa- they had been dormant so long many had lost arms or legs, but were able just to stick them back on and wait for their tissue to grow again. And run around fighting Rahi.So they can heal to a certain extent.
He's talking about the metal. It's doubtful their metal was dented or bent much laying dormant like that.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I have a theory on this. First, there are four types of protodermis.

• Soft Organic, as in muscles and tissue.
  • Hard Organic, as in armor and shells
  • Hard Inorganic, as in tools, masks, etc. Stone and lava count too.
  • Liquid Inorganic, as in MU water, Energized protodermis, and so on.

The main difference between organic and inorganic? Inorganic is just atoms and molecules. However, organic is slightly different. I theorize that all organic protodermis is a variation of its inorganic counterpart, but instead formed into living cells and then made into living beings. Soft organic cells are much like ours, but hard organic cells are extremely metallic, forming a cross between metal armor and a hard exoskeleton. This explains how it was discovered that Bohrok were once organic but became robotic, because they use Hard Organic instead of Hard Inorganic, yet show no other signs of life, only machinery. So, since biomechanical MU life forms are made of Hard and Soft Organic and not Hard Inorganic (Except tools and masks), it makes sense that both types of organic protodermis can regenerate, while inorganic proto cannot. So if a Toa has his armor damaged, it will heal. But if his mask is broken, it will need to be repaired or replaced.Also, the armor of the MU robot is made of Hard Organic. The Great Beings probably wanted it to be able to heal itself, too.

aouROFb.png

There's actually strong evidence for that in MNOG, Chaos Dralcax, since the impenetrable layer in the Onu-Koro mine was described as being of an organic origin, like Ussal shells. Although we don't know that that's canon since MNOG was semi-canon, it's "canon unless contradicted in other canon." So unless Greg contradicted it later, it does show that the metal of both the giant robot and the beings inside is, as you put it, Hard Organic. :)

I was about to say what Bonesiii just said. That's brilliant, I like that theory! But unfortunately it seems to get a definite answer that's not founded on fanon, we'd need to ask Greg. Oh well. As for myself, I usually only mention my characters needing to manually treat their injuries when they're injuries that would require medical attention in real life. I don't mention if they need to weld small cuts back together or if they go away on their own. I wonder if they use bolts to help serious wounds in their shells heal just as humans use stitches...

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

Well, all we know about that rock layer is: BS01

Soon after the coming of the Toa, the mining guilds hit an underground rock layer at the bottom of Shaft B that they could not break through. Unbeknownst to the Matoran, this was the outermost layer of the Protodermis layer created by Mata Nui's camouflage system.
So, it sounds like part of the Camouflage system, which would make sense if it was organic so it would "grow" into place to cover Mata Nui. That would support the Hard Organic Theory, but we'd still need Greg to confirm it.

Well, all we know about that rock layer is: BS01
Soon after the coming of the Toa, the mining guilds hit an underground rock layer at the bottom of Shaft B that they could not break through. Unbeknownst to the Matoran, this was the outermost layer of the Protodermis layer created by Mata Nui's camouflage system.
So, it sounds like part of the Camouflage system, which would make sense if it was organic so it would "grow" into place to cover Mata Nui. That would support the Hard Organic Theory, but we'd still need Greg to confirm it.
Hm, so this would mean that layer was not, in fact, the giant robot's actual metal armor? In any case, we know that special staff had the power to cure the giant robot's metal form, and other parts I believe, and the MNOG quote would still show MU inhabitants' metal to be hard organic.

I think that they can, but only to an extent. If they get a scratch or a dent, nothing will happen. Like how the Toa Mahri had to patched up by the giant Rahi thing after their battles because their armor was dented and scratched.
Well, I think that was just accelerated healing. They could have healed on their own given the time to recover, but with the constant battles in the Pit, they wouldn't have a chance to heal.

aouROFb.png

I think that they can, but only to an extent. If they get a scratch or a dent, nothing will happen. Like how the Toa Mahri had to patched up by the giant Rahi thing after their battles because their armor was dented and scratched.
Well, I think that was just accelerated healing. They could have healed on their own given the time to recover, but with the constant battles in the Pit, they wouldn't have a chance to heal.
Yeah, that's a good point. I think that scratches would take longer to heal than wounds, though.

Huh? Scratches are wounds -- very minor ones.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

i never got the whole mechanical thing down, to me, toa are just tall humanoids with a metallic carapace shell coating over parts of their body and a silicon "skin" covering the more delicate parts., and im sure if the shell gets damaged, it will heal.(if you ever smashed your nail, you'll know.)and the pistons and such might just be armour.

i never got the whole mechanical thing down, to me, toa are just tall humanoids with a metallic carapace shell coating over parts of their body and a silicon "skin" covering the more delicate parts., and im sure if the shell gets damaged, it will heal.(if you ever smashed your nail, you'll know.)and the pistons and such might just be armour.
No, they're not just armor. It's well known confirmed canon that they have internal structural frameworks (basically skeletons though they don't look like ours) of metal and are 85% mechanical. Other than their brain which we don't know either way about, they are basically robots with muscles instead of servos. (Despite the servo sound effects in MNOG/etc.) Plus organic lungs. Most of the rest is mechanical.

I'm sure they have some way of healing, and many beings have healing powers to help with that, but I'm sure, given that all Metru Nui Matoran were at some point "re-built," it can be assumed that some severe damage can be reversed with some "repairs."

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012