Toon Elitha

ShadowBionics

All right then, well I wasn't entire sure about this originally, but I'm going to post up fan art of one of my fan-made characters, a Shadow Toa-like warrior named Elitha, but personified in what my friends have nicknamed "toon style." If this would side more with non-topic kind of art, please move it. I'm not sure about this one and I read through the guidelines as much as I could.In a nutshell, my "toon" style of drawing is like a chibi kind of thing where characters are made to look cute and sort of playful. I was inspired to do this actually by The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. It's not the same kind of style, but I was inspired to draw characters kind of like that. I've done this with various video game characters ranging from Link and Zelda to Claire "Lighting" Farron. I've done the same for Elitha, except she is now more human-like.Dare to CompareHere is the Mk IV version of the Elitha MOC alongside her toon counterpart. For personal reasons, I've blotted out part of my signature, but that's another story. Like the MOC, her drawing counterpart has gone through some changes as well.Original Mk I inspiredMy apologies for the blurriness of the picture. But this was my first attempt at drawing her. You see, Elitha's story revolves around her as a troubled Matoran thrust into a world she didn't want to be a part of by the Brotherhood of Makuta, ultimately losing everything she held onto and becoming a shadow warrior with the help of a mask she created, the Kanohi Mask of Death (the Ignika's knock-off and polar opposite).Current Mk IV inspiredHer current incarnation. I showed off the Mk III to BZPower sometime back and after getting some criticism and advice, I updated the MOC, so then I set out to update the drawing as well to reflect those changes. She still has the same general look. Elitha is portrayed as a troubled "young woman," so to say and I wanted to try and personify that. In doing so and to incorporate one of the main things about the toon/chibi style, I've made the mask look like a tiara and the rest of her face you can see. Her face and hair is constant in both drawings.I originally thought about giving her the cape-wings that appear in the MOC, but I tried to put them in and they ended up just looking like some bizarre Gorast wings. The way the wings are constructed and appear from the front, I guess it wasn't too much of a good idea.Okay, I guess that's about it for now. Note: before you say the drawing(s) look(s) simple, that is actually the point. They are meant to look simplistic and have a playful kind of element to them. This style is especially popular with my friends and they like how I make these characters. I know I'm not the best artist in the world and I can't draw realistically, but as one of my friends put it, these are cartoonish kind of drawings so they can't really be compared to realistic drawings in that league.All right, I guess that is it. As before mentioned, if this doesn't fit in with this forum, please move it, although since this is a "human Bionicle" character, I thought it would be fitting to post here.

Hey man, I'm here to give you a thumbs up for doing some artwork, and also to give a bit of critique because as an artist myself I've always found it much more useful to be shown how to be better than to just be given an ego boost with some empty praise. It's more of a compliment to say "You have potential, and I can see it. Here's how to realize it."I get that you're doing a "chibi" style, but the thing is that a lot of artists will shield a lack of knowledge about things like anatomy or proportion by calling it a "style". This isn't to say everyone needs to draw realistically - I'm a professional caricature artist by trade and I can tell you right now realism is basically the furthest thing from what I draw. That said, being able to bend and morph the human body into a cartoon of any form requires a really firm grounding in the basics. (for example, even in cartoons, the human arm extends to about mid-thigh, where as your character has the hand coming to the waist. If you hold your hands down to your waist you'll immediately see that this is incredibly too short!) That means learning anatomy, proportion, perspective, the works. It's not easy, and you won't be able to achieve what you want for years - but what it takes to be an artist is a drive to be better, to always improve, and to never be satisfied with what you are currently doing. If you've got that, then all the rest will just follow naturally. Good luck, and here's hoping you stay on this path!

Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Sorry for the late response, I've been quite busy these past few weeks. ^^;Anywho, like with what the previous poster commented, you definitely have potential. You seem to have captured the identity of the MOC with it's drawn counterpart. It's not easy to create human/bionicle hybrids that look pleasing to the eye. But you're getting there. As for anatomy, chibi is when the character is SD or "super deformed" in this case, shorter limbs, torso, and a large head. You may have to shorten the torso/waist as well as the arms to get into that structure. The drawing is very cute and I like the fact you took the time to colour and ink the image. You certainly have potential! Keep striving to improve!