How do you build your sets?

Blitzkitteh

When you get a new set, how do you build it? Do you stagger the build? Sort out the parts first? Go bag by bag? Empty the contents directly into your parts bin? Stuff like that.Personally, I just go bag by bag, but I'm getting the Diagon Alley set soon and would like to know your opinions and preferences on different styles of building.-Longcat is Long!

I USED TO BE LONGCAT IS LONG!

tumblr_m42b4aGmdZ1qkibivo1_500.jpg
My Blog. Read it. Nao.

My Steam name is [TDC] Blitzkitteh, feel free to add me.

This really has nothing to do with System, as I usually only get buildable figure (Bionicle/Hero Factory) sets. Empty out all parts and begin. My process: I ALWAYS start at the torso. Then I go for legs, then arms, head, and lastly helmet/mask, or if a Hero, the core. When It comes to HF, I do my best to act like the Assembly Tower.Titan sets are similar, but I always put on the small decorative stuff last (spikes, weapons, etc.).

LlqByyh.png

I dump out the parts. Usually if its with a canister set from bionicle or hero factory. I don't need the instructions to build it. But with larger sets I use the instructions.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

If it's a large set, I go bag by bag, but if it's small, then I'll try to build it without the instructions.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I generally go bag by bag, using the instructions. Occasionally, with larger sets, my brothers and I build together, alternating steps. And when rebuilding a smaller set I sometimes like to try building it without the instructions, so that it feels like a new experience.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Only for the really large sets I go bag by bag, but for most others I just dump all of the pieces out on the table at once. Just dumping out all those pieces at once feels so good!!1! 8D Makes searching for tiny pieces more fun, too. :lol:

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Dump it out. I build the parts I can figure out first, and then use the instructions for the rest.Example: With the first Makuta: Build the head. Build the lower arms. Build the staff. Then use the instructions for the body, upper arms, and legs.I use that process for almost every set I buy.

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

I never bother with going bag-by-bag or sorting the parts. I just dump everything into a pile on the floor, even if it does mean the occasional five- or ten-minute search for that one piecetm.Yes, my method did make for an "interesting" building experience with the 10030 UCS Star Destroyer.

If it's a set with numbered bags, I open one "number" at a time. And if there are a lot of bags, I generally will keep smaller parts and larger parts in separate piles or trays.At that point, how I build it depends on whether I'm doing so alone or with my siblings. Lately we've been building some of the modular buildings as a family, and as per tradition we've been alternating steps between the three of us in a pattern. Of course, for certain sets if it's just my twin brother and me, we might divide certain identical or symmetrical sections up between the two of us, regardless of set numbering. That can be more efficient since there's less trading off and more working at our own pace.

Back when I got sets, first thing I did was ignore the instructions not to do it on a carpet. Carpet is just better. I only opened the necessary bags for the part of the build I was on though, so that kept some organisation. Except for some odd bags, where I wanted a closer look at the pieces. Or for those little boxes that had capes in.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I typically will just sit down on a nice, comfortable carpet (couldn't agree more that it's beter, Taipu1 haha) and just start reading the instructions. Which means I'll open bags as I need them, get to large parts as I need them. I also try to finish the build all in one sitting. Only if a part particularly interests me (such as making the Creeper out of my most recent set, Minecraft) will I go after it first. Generally it's a time of liesure and fun.~|ET|~

Edited by 1. Xemnas

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it depends if I want to do a review or not. If I get a set and I want to review it before I open it, then I do it bag-by-bag, only I sort out the pieces by color and type neatly to take a picture. It. Takes. So. Long. ... But, it does result in a much easier system for building the set. No going crazy over that one piece that you saw five million times before, but when you need it for something it totally disappears on you...Though, if I'm building it and I'm not planning a review, then I just dump all the contents of every bag into one pile and get-a-building! This method has been used by me since I was a kid. XD

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I tend to buy BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets, so I just dump it all out and build. The titan sets I almost always build with instructions (at least the older ones, since the newer ones are much simpler, and I can build many parts without instructions).However, the medium-small sets, I make it a rule never to look at the instruction booklet (at the box cover/back cover instead), unless I'm stuck on a part for more than ten minutes. It keeps building fun, due to the simplicity of the newer sets. I also occacionally make small modifications to the sets, using the parts provided, if the set is difficult to move, or play with the original configuration, or if it simply looks better without or with a certain piece shifted/removed.Anyone do similar building methods? :)

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey