What Theme Comes Closest to BIONICLE?

Meiko

Most BIONICLE-like theme  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking about Bionicle, and then some other themes, and then how similar some themes are to it. I thought I'd start a poll to see what everybody else thinks.If your opinion isn't an option, choose "Other" and state it as a reply. Also, please don't say that Bionicle is the closest thing to Bionicle. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Ninjago. :) None exactly do, though. HF keeps a more similar set style, while Ninjago is minifigs, but Ninjago focuses more on connected, arced story like Bionicle. I go with Ninjago because the exact style of the sets matters less to me personally than story. (And frankly Ninjago sets are far more attractive than HF; besides, Bionicle to me transcended a particular style of plastic, and did have playsets.) HF's a close second though.The others aren't even close.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Although I don't really follow Ninjago, considering what I've heard about the story I'd consider it and Hero Factory sort of tied; Ninjago has the story and Hero Factory has the style of sets.-ibrow
This. Though I follow neither, I've seen enough to make the same connection.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It's probably Ninjago in terms of story. There are even a few examples. First, the ninjas had to team up to find the Golden Weapons in order to defeat Lord Garmadon just like the Toa finding Kanohi Masks so they can stand up against Makuta. Second, finding out who the Green Ninja is is like finding out who the 7th Toa is.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Like many others have said, Ninjago could be considered a successor in terms of story, while Hero Factory could be considered a successor in terms of sets (although you could make a case for it succeeding Bionicle in story, too: in the first three waves there were teams of six heroes each, who in the first year and the current year have some degree of elemental powers).I'm intrigued that one person voted City; I'd personally be very interested in their reasoning for that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's probably Ninjago in terms of story. There are even a few examples. First, the ninjas had to team up to find the Golden Weapons in order to defeat Lord Garmadon just like the Toa finding Kanohi Masks so they can stand up against Makuta. Second, finding out who the Green Ninja is is like finding out who the 7th Toa is.
Good point. I never looked at it like that. Well, Greg Farshtey is partially behind the story for Ninjago. :P
I'm intrigued that one person voted City; I'd personally be very interested in their reasoning for that.
It was Tufi Piyufi. For future reference, public polls (or whatever they're called), allow you to see other peoples' votes. After you vote, you'll see "City (1 votes [3.57%] - View)". Click "View", and you can see who voted. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I voted for Ninjago. From what I know of it and Hero Factory, it's closer.Ninjago has more of the somewhat mythical atmosphere of early Bionicle. It also has the small group of element-associated heroes, who are basically the only above-average powered good guys in their simple world. In addition, they are a team of brothers-in-arms who have to maintain Unity. And, of course, they're fighting for the good brother to stop the supernatural evil one from ruling their world.Hero Factory, on the other hand, is Technic-built space cops arresting criminals in a highly technologically advanced and complex society. Their world is very big, very ordered, and seems, to me, very mundane. Also, they have ~20 characters, all of whom pop in and out of the ensemble at random intervals. There's no real definitive team group like Bionicle always had. (Bionicle Equivalent: Hey, Gali and Lewa, we're taking you off the team and replacing you with Hewkii and Nuparu, until we switch one of them out for Takanuva, next mission.)I understand that "team" doesn't have to mean the same thing here it does in Bionicle, but the result of this method is that you can't really get attached to anyone. The cast and the group dynamic are changing too often to develop any one of them.Anyway, Ninjago seems to be closer in terms of tone, though obviously Hero Factory was designed as Bionicle's successor in terms of sets.-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

• 2 weeks later...
I voted for Ninjago. From what I know of it and Hero Factory, it's closer.Ninjago has more of the somewhat mythical atmosphere of early Bionicle. It also has the small group of element-associated heroes, who are basically the only above-average powered good guys in their simple world. In addition, they are a team of brothers-in-arms who have to maintain Unity. And, of course, they're fighting for the good brother to stop the supernatural evil one from ruling their world.Hero Factory, on the other hand, is Technic-built space cops arresting criminals in a highly technologically advanced and complex society. Their world is very big, very ordered, and seems, to me, very mundane. Also, they have ~20 characters, all of whom pop in and out of the ensemble at random intervals. There's no real definitive team group like Bionicle always had. (Bionicle Equivalent: Hey, Gali and Lewa, we're taking you off the team and replacing you with Hewkii and Nuparu, until we switch one of them out for Takanuva, next mission.)I understand that "team" doesn't have to mean the same thing here it does in Bionicle, but the result of this method is that you can't really get attached to anyone. The cast and the group dynamic are changing too often to develop any one of them.Anyway, Ninjago seems to be closer in terms of tone, though obviously Hero Factory was designed as Bionicle's successor in terms of sets.-Excelsior
Well, in terms of the HF team, this year they're doing a bit better at that since they've stuck with the same nine already-established hero characters we've come to know and love. The only problem is that nine hero characters is a lot more than a single wave of sets or a single one- or two-episode TV special can really seem to handle. It should be noted that the "random team of characters" problem also has caused some people some grief in BIONICLE-- just look back at how many people were peeved about Macku and Onepu not becoming Toa Inika despite the "McToran" never having been a cohesive team in much of anything besides a single promotional comic. And then the Glatorian arc really mixed things up by having characters not even connected by any sort of team.To be honest, I think there's something to be gained from HF's team dynamic, if the writers of the show and other media would actually take advantage of it. By teaming up different characters each wave you get to see how the different characters play off each other, which wasn't necessarily as possible in BIONICLE. Perhaps the consistent teams in BIONICLE might have been part of the reason why BIONICLE had to have so many different teams-- keep one team around for much longer than three years and the audience gets tired of seeing the same characters interact in the same ways.

Well, I say that Bionicle is the closest- *re-reads first post* ... Oh... Nevermind, then. I voted for Ninjago and City. Ninjago because it does deal with different elements and from what I've seen the plot deals with some twists and turns.Now, I did vote for City as well, and granted there really isn't any plot aside from cops and robbers in some sets, but think about it this way: These sets have a pretty wide variety to them, and not to mention some pretty colorful characters in terms of appearance. I've even named two of my minifigs "Gali" and "Lewa" XP. In City sets, you can build a community. There is law enforcement similar to toa "catching the bad guys" and halting plots. There are many settings including mines, vehicles, large buildings or basically anywhere you can imagine. The civilians could be considered similar to matoran, and if you prefer a toa be a civilian minifig... Well, then use your imagination and have that minifig kick butt with elemental powers! Not to mention the sets also come with animal creatures such as dogs, bears and cats (aka rahi). The mix of everything going on in one theme just reminds me of Bionicle. Their story was filled with an enchanting world, not just Ninjas fighting bad guys, but also civilian life and general settings. That's something that City really brings to life in its own way.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

there are alot (and i mean alot) of simalarities between ninjago and bioniclethe ninja controlling elements.the personalities of the various ninjanew armored ninjagolden collectablesa swarm of enemiesthe sensie being alot like a turaga and being a former ninja. not to mention an evil brother with one who is not, with a father very similer to mata nui, at least from what I've heard.an additional ninja from a short charecter, and of extreme power.moving to a new home after one was destroyed.the shadow ninjadid i miss anything?

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Hero Factory. It used to be Ninjago...but all of the magic and resembalance died in 2012. Hero Factory is similar due to its sets and story (though the story is less complex).(for some reason it said I already voted...but I have no idea what I accidently voted for :lol: )

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

Hero Factory. It used to be Ninjago...but all of the magic and resembalance died in 2012.
Arguably I'd say Ninjago's sci-fi shift in 2012 makes it more like BIONICLE now than it was in 2011. After all, didn't people complain about the same thing when BIONICLE moved to a city setting in 2004, or when the Toa Inika got standard-issue projectile launchers in 2006, or when the Toa Nuva got flight equipment and flying vehicles in 2008? Really, all themes change over time, and I'd argue that Ninjago's changes are remarkably like the ones BIONICLE went through from year to year (though I'd also argue that even with increased technology present in either series, neither lost any of the "magic" that made it special in the first place).

For The sets, HF takes the cake. And while I don't know much about NInjago, It apparently has a very Mystical feel, with Bionicle-esque elements in the story. So Ninjago in The Story department. Looking at it like that, it seems like LEGO split Bionicle in 2, one line story wise, the other has the sets.-Star

Solaris Magnus. Formerly Starparu. 

• 3 months later...

Ninjago, although it still far below BIONICLE's level. It's still good in it's own right, though.

toa kopaka4372, make sure you check the date of the last post before you add your comment.

Do not revive a poll that's been inactive for 20 or more days. Pretty simple! Discussion tends to die off by that point and it's better to start a fresh thread of conversation with new participants than to dig up the old, stale one.

Topic closed.

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]