Flash Fire - Character Design Contest results!

InnerRayg

Hello all, and welcome to the final results of the Flash Fire character design contest! Before I get into the nitty gritty, I want to thank all of our participants for making my first contest really explode in a way I could only dream. I loved all of the entries we got and hope that we might get to do this again soon. Alright, enough of this sappy stuff, are you ready?----------------------------------------Tahu----------------------------------------tahu-empire.jpgIn first place, with a whopping 41 votes, is EMPIRE! His entry, a brilliantly executed robotic take on the original Tahu has a striking color scheme of red with brilliant yellow highlights and a subtle silver beneath that helps emphasize his mechanical nature. It's also a technically impressive piece with clean lines and great attention to detail. His final version is being prepared now and will proudly stand alongside some of our best MoCs at Brickfair.tahu-vezok_s-friend.jpgIn second place, with 16 votes, is VEZOK'S FRIEND! His entry is a much more traditional take on Tahu, and definitely stood out as a very well done technically rendered piece. The character's demeanor really shines through. This Tahu has some serious attitude, without a doubt.tahu-lime-paradox.jpgIn third place, with 12 votes, is LIME PARADOX! His entry is a...well..more alternative take on Tahu's look, topped off with the hottest looking mustache I've ever seen (Get it? Hot? He's a fire toa? Alright, nevermind,). I think in this case, I'll just let the picture do all the talking here.----------------------------------------Vakama----------------------------------------vakama-degnish.jpgIn first place, with an impressive 31 votes, is DEGNISH! His entry, a highly original design that takes inspiration from Vakama's Metru form, showcases both brilliant technical skill and unique design sense. It combines a clearly mechanical being with the tribalistic vibe we all know and love from the very first years of Bionicle, capturing not only the look of Vakama but the feeling this ancient mystical Turaga invoked in the early days of the line.vakama-crunchbitenuva.jpgIn second place, with 21 votes, is CRUNCHBITENUVA! His entry, a lovingly hand-rendered version of Vakama showcases the old Turaga's very first introduction, as the narrator of the Legend of the Bionicle, Mata Nui and Makuta stones in hand. Unlike many of the other entries, he uses a simplified style that shows only what is necessary without overloading the viewer with details, making this entry a clear champ.vakama-brickthing.jpgIn third place, with 8 votes, is BRICKTHING! His entry is a digitally drafted piece of work that uses a really great blending of color that draws in the eye and then invites it to stay and languish in the beautiful tones of the robe. It combines simple, flowing brush strokes with tiny details to create a striking visual contrast in the final image.----------------------------------------Matoran---------------------------------------matoran-empire.jpgIn first place, with an eye-widening 34 votes, is once again EMPIRE! His second rendering is just as beautiful and skilled as his first, and in fact I think it even better captures the spirit of the adventurous Jaller than his Tahu. This little guy is very brave, and it shows.matoran-crunchbitenuva.jpg matoran-tohkann-toa-of-arts.jpgIn second place, we had a tie of 18 votes between CRUNCHBITENUVA and TOHKANN TOA OF ARTS! Both are equally skilled, however only one person can be in second place and so I have decided to use the powers of randomization to decide who takes second and third. This may seem silly, but I promise it is relevant, as you will see in a second. As for the illustrations, Crunchbite again shows his skill with the simple, hand-rendered marker while Tohkann goes the opposite way, showing a highly anatomically correct Jaller rendered digitally.First place winners have already been sent to a printing facility to be printed and then cut out on a thick board that will stand against a backdrop by yours truly at Brickfair next week. Empire's Tahu and Jaller will be joining Degnish's Vakama amongst all the great MoCs our members will be sending in. HOWEVER, they aren't the only entries coming! I was so pleased with all of the entries we got in this contest, I am making a SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT that we will also be printing an awesome booklet filled with every single entry to the contest that will be displayed alongside the matte painting for the thousands of people to see! That means if you entered, your drawing is now part of Brickfair. We will also upload a digital version of it after Brickfair, but for now I want to keep it and the backdrop itself a surprise.PRIZES - This one's for my contest winners only. EMPIRE, DEGNISH, I need you to PM me your personal addresses or an address I can use to send you your goodies for winning. You will each be recieving-Custom Hapori Tohu stickers, previously staff exclusive.-A fire-themed prototype part-An engraved brick trophy congratulating you on your winHowever, there is the small issue of there not being an actual third first place winner. I have been wrestling with this problem for the last few days, but at the end of the day the only conclusion I can come up with is to reward the next entry after our winners that had the most votes. In this case, that would mean CRUNCHBITENUVA would be our third winner, thanks to the 21 votes his Vakama received. I think this is the most fair way to do this in a timely manner. I also considered flipping a coin or having a runoff poll, but these methods are too random and sadly we do not have the time to do any kind of run off poll. Crunchbite will not be receiving a special engraved brick trophy, but he will be receiving the prototype part and sticker.Thank you all for participating, and now let's give our congratulations to our winners. Good job guys!

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Congrats to the winners! It amazed me how even on short notice there were so many talented entries! It's nice to see that the small number of entries for the Battlescapes contest was more a matter of it being such a complex subject than a matter of all this artistic talent having left BZPower. Though perhaps it was also a matter of inspiration for battlescapes being harder to come by-- it's much easier to come up with your own interpretation of characters you have very fond memories of than to come up with an entire scene which you probably have never given too much thought prior to the contest.The three first-place entries will look wonderful next to each other, sharing a similar level of detail and complexity, and hopefully they will look just as beautiful in front of the backdrop provided at Brickfair. It'd be nice if one of the BZPower staff would bring the actual sets these entries are inspired by so that non-BIONICLE fans can better appreciate the inspiration for these works of art.

Congratulations everyone... except one of you. I mean, seriously? That Moustache Tahu honestly did not deserve to get a third place. I have seen a lot of bad art this year, or all my life, but that is hoenstly one of the worst ones. I won't say this without giving any constructive critiscm about it though, since that would be immoral of me, and any others, I think: well, the colors are way too bright and saturated, and usually, Tahu's eyes and backhead-piece are not green. His eyes are meant to red, his backhead-piece likewise, or dark in color if you wish to go with a look that is further away from a set-accurate Tahu. It's overall a little too simple too, and I cannot see how that moustache makes him any sexy and hot...? The black sphere on his chest looks too much like a lump of dark hair... I just don't think it should have landed as a winner. Otherwise, it's a pretty neat drawing still, really.Stay creative,Best,- Lukas

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

Congrats to the winners! It amazed me how even on short notice there were so many talented entries! It's nice to see that the small number of entries for the Battlescapes contest was more a matter of it being such a complex subject than a matter of all this artistic talent having left BZPower. Though perhaps it was also a matter of inspiration for battlescapes being harder to come by-- it's much easier to come up with your own interpretation of characters you have very fond memories of than to come up with an entire scene which you probably have never given too much thought prior to the contest.The three first-place entries will look wonderful next to each other, sharing a similar level of detail and complexity, and hopefully they will look just as beautiful in front of the backdrop provided at Brickfair. It'd be nice if one of the BZPower staff would bring the actual sets these entries are inspired by so that non-BIONICLE fans can better appreciate the inspiration for these works of art.
Well, the whole point was so that we wouldn't just be having the sets sitting on our display, but to do something a little more unique to display these characters.

webbanner.gif

Congratulations to all the winners! This art contest was very awesome, so many good entries and artists, and I love that you're printing out a booklet. That will really showcase the talent of everyone here at BZP :)

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Congratulations everyone... except one of you. I mean, seriously? That Moustache Tahu honestly did not deserve to get a third place. I have seen a lot of bad art this year, or all my life, but that is hoenstly one of the worst ones. I won't say this without giving any constructive critiscm about it though, since that would be immoral of me, and any others, I think: well, the colors are way too bright and saturated, and usually, Tahu's eyes and backhead-piece are not green. His eyes are meant to red, his backhead-piece likewise, or dark in color if you wish to go with a look that is further away from a set-accurate Tahu. It's overall a little too simple too, and I cannot see how that moustache makes him any sexy and hot...? The black sphere on his chest looks too much like a lump of dark hair... I just don't think it should have landed as a winner. Otherwise, it's a pretty neat drawing still, really.
It was not meant to be a wonderful piece of art- it was meant to be humorous and it definitely achieved that goal. Lime's entry made me laugh quite loudly when I first saw it, and despite what you might call technical flaws (or just personal preferences- something that would best be left out here) it is highly imaginative and obviously enough people enjoyed it for it to deserve its placement.BTW, I think mustaches are completely sexy and hot, so speak for yourself. Edited by Empire

That's many fantastic entries and deserving winners we have there! Congrats and great job, guys! :) I bet this will make BrickFair much better. :P-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Congratulations to the winners! All the entries were superb, and it's great to see how quickly the winners were announced.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

All of these are Incredibly AWESOME. Can't wait to see them at brickfair.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Many congrats to the winners! There were some really awesome pieces in this contest, and I'm looking forward to any future contests and the talent they'll draw out. :)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Heh, I actually guessed which ones the first place winners would be, and I was right. I did pretty bad, getting a whopping 3 votes on my most-voted entry, but given the incredible works of art I was up against it's understandable. I'll just have to keep practicing my art skills and hope Empire and a few other people don't feel like drawing during the entry period of the next contest.:P

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

Bravo Bravo on the winners even tho i loved all the drawings (hope i can get my skills to be this good someday) congrats empire 2 wins :winner: well i think that every one did an excellent job on drawing.

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

The winners are awesome! I hope I can get one of those booklets :P

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Haha no you misunderstand me, one single booklet will be produced. These things are like fifty bucks a pop to make. The digital PDF will be released online and you can always print one yourself if you want ;) Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Haha no you misunderstand me, one single booklet will be produced. These things are like fifty bucks a pop to make. The digital PDF will be released online and you can always print one yourself if you want ;)
Totally I understand. When you take in account what paper you want, how you would arrange the pages and the amazing number of entries we have here, it's gonna be a lot. I myself might've had to spend a lot of moolah for a 200 page book I had to design for a class project if I didn't opt to just handmake it :P Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Haha no you misunderstand me, one single booklet will be produced. These things are like fifty bucks a pop to make. The digital PDF will be released online and you can always print one yourself if you want ;)
Oh I will :D

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Totally I understand. When you take in account what paper you want, how you would arrange the pages and the amazing number of entries we have here, it's gonna be a lot. I myself might've had to spend a lot of moolah for a 200 page book I had to design for a class project if I didn't opt to just handmake it :P
Well, if I wasn't in such a rush I could definitely produce the thing for less money, but due to time constraints I had to go with the closest print shop around and unfortunately that meant going way above a reasonable price.

webbanner.gif

Truly amazing artwork from everyone! I especially love Empire's style. The booklet was also a very nice surprise. Will we be notified on the homepage when it is available online? ~LH
I imagine so. It's nothing too complicated, just a collection of all the images together into one PDF with some decorative elements on it. Fun fact: I just finished assembling the actual physical version. It uses Lego pieces in its design!

webbanner.gif

Quite really, I cannot wait for Brickfair so that we could see it. Oh wait, it's in 3 days :biggrin:
I wish could go :( Apparently I'm going to Maryland next week, where I could have convinced my parents to take me! At least the booklet will be online, so I along with many others can still see it. Maybe next year. We always go down in August.Anyways, can't wait to see everybody's drawings all together in the booklet.

- TD

Truly amazing artwork from everyone! I especially love Empire's style. The booklet was also a very nice surprise. Will we be notified on the homepage when it is available online? ~LH
I imagine so. It's nothing too complicated, just a collection of all the images together into one PDF with some decorative elements on it.Fun fact: I just finished assembling the actual physical version. It uses Lego pieces in its design!
But still, it's pretty nice to have every contestant represented in it. :) And could you clarify, or do you want to leave the final design a surprise? :P

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!