What were the best & worst mocing fads

I have seen many mocing fads come and go over the years, some that I liked, and some that I hated, but in your opinion, what were the best and worst that happened or are still occurring today?edit:my 2nd hot topic!!! :onfire:

Edited by ~garnira returns~

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I wouldn't say that there are that many "good fads" in MOCing. MOCing is about creativity, and anything that's done to death (such as what is required for anything to be considered to be a fad) goes against a lot of what MOCing is about.While there were a lot of fads that were mediocre and unmemorable, the "Stars versions" of sets fad that existed on the old forums for a while had to be the worst. While not all were bad, a lot of them had next to no imagination - they were like chibis, but without the interesting bodies that made chibis legitimate.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I think there was a fad among MOCists where extreme minimalism was becoming widespread. To the point that creativity was suppressed under using a few pieces to make a MOC of this or that. Much worse than the Stars fad Sumiki mentioned. It may or may not have coincided with the general time when a MOC made of a few pieces nearly won (or might've actually won) a BBC contest. I seem to recall both events occurring around the same time.

Man what was it and everyone making Riotfleas or Riotflea copies? Man that really got my goat.HOWEVER the 'fad' or whatever it was to make better and better hands was awesome while it lasted.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I'm gonna go ahead and say the tire thing too. Every time I saw a tire on a ball joint ... :censored:
Though at times it's inappropriate, it can easily be done right, but in small doses (e.g. Using a tire to cover up the axle on a HF Skeleton Piece).The worst would have to be the Stars fad (I am ashamed to have made one ;_;­). As for the best, I really can't think of any good "fads" in general- though I'm sure the now bad fads were in their prime at some point... right? :P Edited by Daiker

doom4revalt.png

Personally, I've never really noticed the fads in MOCing enough to like or dislike them myself.Though some of the ones mentioned in this topic have made me think back upon how many times I've seen them.-Roki

Edited by Roki
sigflower4.png

I think there was a fad among MOCists where extreme minimalism was becoming widespread. To the point that creativity was suppressed under using a few pieces to make a MOC of this or that. Much worse than the Stars fad Sumiki mentioned. It may or may not have coincided with the general time when a MOC made of a few pieces nearly won (or might've actually won) a BBC contest. I seem to recall both events occurring around the same time.
I absolutely hated that period. It made visiting the BBC forum worthless.As Sumiki explained, partaking in a "fad" isn't always a good thing when it comes to a creative outlet. But I don't think it's impossible. I remember the Riotflea one Makaru mentioned (wow does that one go back far...) and I think those were generally good MOCs. It was a style that required being creative.Another I still hate is the tire-on-limbs fad. I never understood that one (or how it even started; all of a sudden they were just everywhere). It just doesn't look good to me.Chibis are cool when done well. That is, not making what I guess would be a "Stars" version of a character, but actually making it small, exaggerating propertions, etc.Tuggles, I'll admit, were cute. Then too many people made them. I believe they were also popular around the same time as the minimalistic fad, so that didn't exactly help shed a good light on them.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I don't think that classifying custom body parts as a fad is totally fair, as that would imply that they came into and then went out of vogue fairly quickly. For nearly as long as the constraction system has been in existence, so have custom [insert body part here]s - especially hands. While these have definitely enjoyed waves of popularity within BBC, they weren't short-lived spurts; they've always been around the forum in some aspect and likely will continue to do so.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

shoulder nuva armour chest fad, bohrohicle fad makes me sad not to own a bohrok, stars fad is uncreative, custom feet fad was okay, and i remember on different sites there was a sharpie/X-acto knife/modeling clay fad. most of the ones didn't turn out good.

Custom went a bit far with feet and heads. Vanilla feet were just fine if you knew how to use them. Custom heads sometimes didn't fit, and with Kanohi they looked out of place.Chibis and Stars were annoying. Great, you downsized a character. But was there really any creativity in doing so? A little maybe. But not as much as a revamp or the like.

AΨ 94

Droyds. I don't know how many people made them, but they were the coolest thing on earth. Seriously. I'm proud to be the 3rd person to make a Bohronicle (BTW that's not actually the name, flameman calls them something else), and hope more people jump on. Cuz they actually look cool.

Herp Derp

Might I ask what a Bohronicle is?I will admit that just slapping on nuva armor does not make a moc feminine.when i did it though their was an entire custom body based around a vahki shin piece. designed with alot of poseability in mind. but than things just got insane and I ended up with a female moc. yes, with nuva armor. still working on it. but my piece collection is very limited.i remember a build a a hf based character to look like a fictional character. that was just strange. and it didn't work. at all.

Edited by Wheeljack

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Might I ask what a Bohronicle is?I will admit that just slapping on nuva armor does not make a moc feminine.when i did it though their was an entire custom body based around a vahki shin piece. designed with alot of poseability in mind. but than things just got insane and I ended up with a female moc. yes, with nuva armor. still working on it. but my piece collection is very limited.i remember a build a a hf based character to look like a fictional character. that was just strange. and it didn't work. at all.
A Bohronicle is one of those MOCs that have a snowmobile-like vehicle with a rider wearing a Krana. Most of the features resemble the Bohrok. It's a fad that recently appeared. Although they look pretty cool, it would be better if people could think up of original ideas.

pWPTu7m.jpg

A Bohronicle is one of those MOCs that have a snowmobile-like vehicle with a rider wearing a Krana. Most of the features resemble the Bohrok. It's a fad that recently appeared. Although they look pretty cool, it would be better if people could think up of original ideas.
And that's not an orginal idea? Somebody must of thought of it first.

The worst kind of 'fads' (or the ones I dislike anyway) are as follows:

• Greebles, EVERYWHERE (Face it. So you got a nice MOC, you built a custom body, you used the '04 matoran legs as shoulders, and normal arms and legs. The real problem starts when you add greebles to everything. Body, legs, arms, heads. It's especially rampant on MOCpages. )
  • NSSD (A large number of MOCs are now based off NSSD's MOCs. While the simplicity is refreshing, they're simply growing in number. One immature MOC is fine, when the community starts doing it is when it becomes a problem).
  • Custom heads (Not that bad, but I see to many that are awful).
  • Overused color schemes (Bad. Black/anyothercolor, especially monochromatic black, is the big ones. There just are such a great number of MOCs with black in the color scheme. While you're at it, you should also name them as "evil overlord of the makuta" while your at).
  • Overused names (Let's face it, we're all guilty of this one. We have all made one character that is extremely cliche -probably one of our first characters- probably something involving Makuta or bad duplicates of the Toa Mata).
  • Nuva shoulders for femMOCs (Ugh. Used properly, this technique is useful, but most of the MOCing community isn't that great. The fact that LEGO made BIONICLE as a guys toy -something HASBRO sometimes corrected with TFBW...- I can name a handful of good MOCs made with this style, but all of them are by people who know what they're doing. Unlike the majority of builders).

That just about sums it up. In my opinion at least.

The worst fad is adding Nuva shoulder armor to the chest to make something "female." There are other things you could have added instead.
Wait. So Axonn was female? :nahnah: (Yes, I am joking.)Hmmm. Can't think of any. Though the "stars" chibi-ness seems familiar. In a bad way.
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I can agree. Fads aren't a good thing. Like, shuffling was a fad. :lol:The styles do change over the years, though.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• Overused color schemes (Bad. Black/anyothercolor, especially monochromatic black, is the big ones. There just are such a great number of MOCs with black in the color scheme. While you're at it, you should also name them as "evil overlord of the makuta" while your at).

I don't see how using any particular color is a "fad," nor do I see how using black would be automatically considered a negative thing.

Q2TtLEz.png