What does your family think about you liking Lego

CeeCee

For the younger members on this site, this probably isnt so much of a big deal. Maybe it isnt for the older people either as it may just be me. But what do you family think of you liking Lego/Bionicle. The only family member that know are my Dad, my Mum and my sister. My dad thinks its a wast of money. He found out by accident when he looked at my eBay history. IMy mum doesnt really care, though she is getting a little be concerned now that I'm 16. I just tell her to mind her own buisnress.And my Sister know, but doesn't really care to much. She thinks its babyish though.What does your family think of it?

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

They don't care - in fact, they see it as a viable creative medium that is comparable to any other artistic endeavor.I think they began to think of it as a vestigial remnant of my childhood, but that was rectified when they went to BrickFair in 2011. :)

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yeah I haven't bought a Lego set since 2010 I don't think. All of my Bionicles are out in my studio. I used to be kinda paranoid about still collecting Bionicles when I was 15 or 16, like I'd get them for my birthday, and I knew my other friends had stopped playing with toys at that time haha. These days my only connection to Bionicle or Lego is on these forums, and well my parents don't really know, or care for that matter.

My little brother joined me with my LEGO Bricks.My Mom doesn't really care, same with my dad.My older brother will say things like, "Get a job!" and I'm normally like "I have a job, jokes on you.... Erm... Cool guy..." So its different for every family member for me,~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

My father thinks that Bionice in particular, is evil, so up until a few years ago he didn't allow me to get anything Bionicle (Not even the Mcdonald toys!) I asked him about this a few days ago, a few minutes after I received 4 out of of 6 Toa Nuva in the mail, and asked, "Do you still think Bionicle is evil? And if so, why are you letting me buy them?" and he responded, "I still think they're evil, its just my attitude that has changed on the matter of you buying them." So, in short, my dad is ok with me owning LEGO Bricks, and is not ok with the storyline of Bionicle, but is ok with me buying them, andmy mom doesn't care, and neither do any of my other family members. Seriously though, The only real Bionicle I ever got to even HOLD, was my sister's Mctoren Huki, and she gave that to me a few months ago.

My father thinks that Bionice in particular, is evil, so up until a few years ago he didn't allow me to get anything Bionicle (Not even the Mcdonald toys!) I asked him about this a few days ago, a few minutes after I received 4 out of of 6 Toa Nuva in the mail, and asked, "Do you still think Bionicle is evil? And if so, why are you letting me buy them?" and he responded, "I still think they're evil, its just my attitude that has changed on the matter of you buying them."So, in short, my dad is ok with me owning LEGO Bricks, and is not ok with the storyline of Bionicle, but is ok with me buying them, andmy mom doesn't care, and neither do any of my other family members.Seriously though, The only real Bionicle I ever got to even HOLD, was my sister's Mctoren Huki, and she gave that to me a few months ago.
Why does he think Bionicle is evil? Does he not like violence or something?

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Typically encouragement, but occasionally "Why the @#$% are you nerds obsessing with a toy line made for tiny children?"

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

When I was younger I enjoyed playing with dolls to the chagrin of, at least, my father, so when I took an interest in BIONICLE it was taken as an improvement (and I stopped getting sports-related gifts for the holidays <.<). My interest in BIONICLE is pretty much gone at this point though (well, was late '06), but I feel like some are more disappointed with my wish for a writing career, amongst other things, than any enjoyment I get out of something like LEGO or video games for that matter. Not that I really care though. *shrug*

My father thinks that Bionice in particular, is evil, so up until a few years ago he didn't allow me to get anything Bionicle (Not even the Mcdonald toys!) I asked him about this a few days ago, a few minutes after I received 4 out of of 6 Toa Nuva in the mail, and asked, "Do you still think Bionicle is evil? And if so, why are you letting me buy them?" and he responded, "I still think they're evil, its just my attitude that has changed on the matter of you buying them."So, in short, my dad is ok with me owning LEGO Bricks, and is not ok with the storyline of Bionicle, but is ok with me buying them, andmy mom doesn't care, and neither do any of my other family members.Seriously though, The only real Bionicle I ever got to even HOLD, was my sister's Mctoren Huki, and she gave that to me a few months ago.
No, its not that he doesn't like the violence or anything, heck, he let me watch Terminator when I was eight, and the Die Hard series two years after that.So no, its not the violence, its the supposed 'religion' that he thinks there is, and I don't see any religion in the matter whatsoever.I guess he thinks its evil because it might change me from a christian (Sorry any of you atheists out there) to a matoren or something weird like that.

No, its not that he doesn't like the violence or anything, heck, he let me watch Terminator when I was eight, and the Die Hard series two years after that.So no, its not the violence, its the supposed 'religion' that he thinks there is, and I don't see any religion in the matter whatsoever.I guess he thinks its evil because it might change me from a christian (Sorry any of you atheists out there) to a matoren or something weird like that.
Hahaha. Those darn Mata Nui lovers. Always bashing on my door about the 5 virtues or what ever. Apparently i wont be let into Atahkah if I dont worship him. What a joke. Edited by SamH1995

Hahaha. Those darn Mata Nui lovers. Always bashing on my door about the 5 virtues or what ever. Apparently i wont be let into Atahkah if I dont worship him. What a joke.
I laughed when I saw that. Could you imagine Bionicle as a religeon? I guess there is kind of one in the earlier story, but then Mata Nui just becomes another character (and the world), so it makes sense.As for on topic, I've gotten all my brothers into it at one time or another, and my little brothers still love playing with Duplo, Bionicle, and Lego all at once, but my other brother thinks that Lego is stupid and he's too old for it. He also doesn't like reading, so we don't get along. :PMy parents still haven't accepted I want to be an AFOL, so they've been trying to get me off Lego by not buying it for birthday presents and stuff like that. They think it's childish, and no one my age should be messing with LEGO Bricks, but their starting to get over it. They're fine if I get my own LEGO Bricks though.

Well, since Aanchir is my brother, he kind of just said the same thing I would. But if you are physically incapable of scrolling back to his post, here:

My family has always encouraged it and hopes, just as I do, that I will one day get a job with the company.
One difference is that I love to lol at some old themes like Paradisa and Belville, and sometimes even the various gimmicks in Bionicle. Another difference is that I kind of want to get a web development job at LEGO, while Aanchir wants to get a set design job.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Well, since Aanchir is my brother, he kind of just said the same thing I would. But if you are physically incapable of scrolling back to his post, here:
My family has always encouraged it and hopes, just as I do, that I will one day get a job with the company.
One difference is that I love to lol at some old themes like Paradisa and Belville, and sometimes even the various gimmicks in Bionicle. Another difference is that I kind of want to get a web development job at LEGO, while Aanchir wants to get a set design job.
Also Aanchir's brother, so the same applies to me. I also hope to get a set design job, and my parents have always supported that. And even if you don't intend to make Lego into your career, I don't think liking Lego should ever be a problem so long as it doesn't keep you from being able to maintain the way of life you choose.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Huh. Your Aanchirs brother. I always thought it was Lyichir becuase of the "chir" and their long tangents about LegoEDIT: Never mind, I realised you are a trio Edited by Alterego

Hahaha. Those darn Mata Nui lovers. Always bashing on my door about the 5 virtues or what ever. Apparently i wont be let into Atahkah if I dont worship him. What a joke.
I laughed when I saw that. Could you imagine Bionicle as a religeon? I guess there is kind of one in the earlier story, but then Mata Nui just becomes another character (and the world), so it makes sense.
I don't see how he imagines it as a religeon. Oh well, parents are weird creatures.

Actually, I was just talking to someone about breaking out the religious/cultist aspect that is Bionicle. Like, making three virtues necklaces, or Biker jackets with the three virtues on the back and "Chronicler's Company" written above...Bionicle, and Lego in general, has always been a creative pursuit for me. My mother watched me develop from simply throwing bricks across the room when those houses balancing on 1x1 rods fell apart, but after a while I began to develop an actual appreciation for building with physics, and basic laws of gravity. (wait, I thought I could alter that with an elemental power?!) While I have gone through some obsessive times with Lego and Bionicle building/story, I've never really been degraded for it. In fact, lately I'm getting some good advice to "Stick with my passions" and finish up a few things I've got in the works related. Maybe 'cause then I can move on to making more board games? LOL.

My familiy has always liked Lego, and everytime either of my parents see me playing with Lego they get very happy. So, yeah, I've got awesome parents.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I'm not so big into the sets anymore, since I'm mostly a BZPower guy now, but my family really never had a problem with it.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012