Lego Superheroes "ultrabuild" Discussion

Mesonak

The Incredible Hulk: He has lime green and blue instead of mata/metru green and purple. He has silver. He has ridiculous hands. Random parts of him are spindly. That build cannot look good from the back, given the price tag. The Batman: The wings. The shoulders. Why does Batman have a sword. The protrusion behind his head. The Joker: He has spikes. His color scheme is catastrophic. He has random shoulder things. He's got a ginormous trans gun. He has tentacles. He has a robot torso. Green Lantern: Ginormous shoulders. Also, that white piece on his upper arm looks odd.Iron Man: Huge freaking shoulders. Giant shoulder cannon. Also, generally, the torso design leaves exposed balls.

I don't think it's really fair to hold preconceived standards of color schemes to these toys. These color schemes vary from their own continuities (and often even in the same continuity), so to expect these representations to hold to the one you want the most isn't exactly a fair expectation. I quite like Hulk's lime green scheme, and the blue shorts pair well with it. The gunmetal shoulders are a little jarring, but they're not that bad. And for Batman, why wouldn't he have wings? I have plenty of old Batman action figures who have more ridiculous flight suits, wings are perfectly plausible, not to mention well executed here. And he needs a weapon, so swords make sense; it's harder to portray gadgets as such, and I've had Batman action figures with blades, too. Since when has the Joker had a good color scheme to start with? The figure I'm seeing is quite accurate to most color schemes the Joker has had (again, of which there have been plenty; green and purple aren't friends to start with), and the energy blaster is to give him a gadget without giving him a gun. And what you call "tentacles" look to be tailcoats; it's hard to determine from the pictures, in line with what Mesonak was saying. Green Lantern is a little jumbled, but Mata green makes eeeeverything better. I don't get what you can have against a shoulder cannon; he needs a weapon, so what else would you suggest? All in all, I think all of these sets have potential; I'll have to pick a couple up, if only for parts. 15 is a bit steep, but whatcha gonna do? Hopefully some of the colors appear on PAB, too.

Looks like we're gonna have to stop calling the Glatorian heads "Iron Man heads". :sigh:Srsly though, were these designed by Megabloks??? The BIONICLE/Hero Factory build never looks good with human heads. And blue Batman makes me wanna cry. Can't they at least make him black???Oh, and Hulk looks ridiculous. The head is just... miserable. Where's the fearsomeness of Hulk from the movies?

The Joker: He has spikes. His color scheme is catastrophic. He has random shoulder things. He's got a ginormous trans gun. He has tentacles. He has a robot torso.

Are you kidding? The trans gun rocks! It's the one good thing about that set! </forcingmyopinionsonothers> -Heat

What in the world is Lego doing?I mean, they didn't even put in Spider Man!

Good point... where is Spider-Man? Or Thor? Or Wolverine? Or Superman. Xp
They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Captain America is the 2nd to worst (he's not in the pics but i saw one of him). My least favorite is Bat-Man, i mean really? WHY DOES HE HAVE WINGS, WHY DOES HE HAVE A BOW, WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY FAVORITE SUPER HERO?!! (i don't get mad often but i can't stand when Bat-Man doesn't look or act like Bat-Man in a series) let's hope there are minifig sets and there better, the only good thing i see is Joker's purple

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

This would have been a better series as Minifigs. As it stands, for us older fans, they are at best overprices packs of decent parts. I showed these to another guy at school who loves comic book heroes. He was very disappointed with them.

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Looks like we're gonna have to stop calling the Glatorian heads "Iron Man heads". :sigh:Srsly though, were these designed by Megabloks??? The BIONICLE/Hero Factory build never looks good with human heads. And blue Batman makes me wanna cry. Can't they at least make him black???Oh, and Hulk looks ridiculous. The head is just... miserable. Where's the fearsomeness of Hulk from the movies?

Batman actually does have a blue suit now a days, Black has only been one of his suit colors(HE HAS HAD A PURPLE SUIT!). But, yes Hulk is pretty ridiculous, though I think that mostly because of the hands.

This would have been a better series as Minifigs. As it stands, for us older fans, they are at best overprices packs of decent parts. I showed these to another guy at school who loves comic book heroes. He was very disappointed with them.

They are going to be doing a minifig line on the side

Captain America is the 2nd to worst (he's not in the pics but i saw one of him). My least favorite is Bat-Man, i mean really? WHY DOES HE HAVE WINGS, WHY DOES HE HAVE A BOW, WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY FAVORITE SUPER HERO?!! (i don't get mad often but i can't stand when Bat-Man doesn't look or act like Bat-Man in a series) let's hope there are minifig sets and there better, the only good thing i see is Joker's purple

The Batman Beyond Batman had(admittedly highly different) wings. Plus they needed to give him some kind of weapon(though I imagine it as more of a double sided katana(he trained in Japan) than a bow).

Personally, I think these sets are pretty creative designs. My favorites out of all six are Batman and Green Lantern, but that could change once finalized pics of the Marvel heroes emerge.They're not entirely accurate to the usual portrayals of the characters, but let's be honest. Super hero action figures in general range from detailed replicas of the characters to crazy versions of the characters in implausible outfits with absurd color schemes. These are far from the worst action figures of these characters on store shelves. And the fact that they're buildable, using (mostly) highly-versatile parts, makes them have far more value than some other action figures.With that said, I don't think I'll be buying any of these. I rarely buy sets "just for the parts", and for all we know some of the parts might be showing up through Design byME or the online Pick-A-Brick. Maybe Hero Recon Team as well, if we're especially lucky. Frankly, though, I'm not much of a super hero collector, and would like to be a bit more conscious of what sets I buy than I was when my family strove for complete collections of BIONICLE and Knights' Kingdom II waves.

Personally, I think these sets are pretty creative designs. My favorites out of all six are Batman and Green Lantern, but that could change once finalized pics of the Marvel heroes emerge.

I like Batman and Green Lantern too. I'll be getting them for sure. Great parts, cool result, and an apparent fun build make up a good set in my opinion. Yeah, I especially want to see the Marvel characters. What other heroes are there besides Captain America in the Marvel line? Also, has anybody noticed that The Joker is in the Superheroes theme? :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

The Joker: He has spikes. His color scheme is catastrophic. He has random shoulder things. He's got a ginormous trans gun. He has tentacles. He has a robot torso.

Are you kidding? The trans gun rocks! It's the one good thing about that set! </forcingmyopinionsonothers> -Heat
It does, for the pieces. As part of the set, it's horrible. And my objection to the wings/tailcoat is that the pieces used don't really work as wings, and are dubious as a tailcoat.

Batman actually does have a blue suit now a days, Black has only been one of his suit colors(HE HAS HAD A PURPLE SUIT!). But, yes Hulk is pretty ridiculous, though I think that mostly because of the hands.

The Batman Beyond Batman had(admittedly highly different) wings. Plus they needed to give him some kind of weapon(though I imagine it as more of a double sided katana(he trained in Japan) than a bow).
well, Batman Beyond was kinda diffrent, he wasn't Bat-Man, he was his successor, but I'm pretty sure this is normal Bat-Man, at least give him a cape. For the weapon (what ever in Mata-Nui's name it is), well i guess they had to give it something because all of the hold something (aside The Hulk). Still, it would be nice to know some in-sight on what the "Bat-Bow-Katana-Thing.
naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

Looks like we're gonna have to stop calling the Glatorian heads "Iron Man heads". :sigh: Srsly though, were these designed by Megabloks??? The BIONICLE/Hero Factory build never looks good with human heads. And blue Batman makes me wanna cry. Can't they at least make him black??? Oh, and Hulk looks ridiculous. The head is just... miserable. Where's the fearsomeness of Hulk from the movies?

well, Batman Beyond was kinda diffrent, he wasn't Bat-Man, he was his successor, but I'm pretty sure this is normal Bat-Man, at least give him a cape. For the weapon (what ever in Mata-Nui's name it is), well i guess they had to give it something because all of the hold something (aside The Hulk). Still, it would be nice to know some in-sight on what the "Bat-Bow-Katana-Thing.
I imagine his weapon is probably intended to resemble some of his gear like the Batarang, except they decided to give him a full-size melee weapon since a tiny boomerang isn't very imposing and is hard to use in role-play.

Out of all these guys, I want Iron Man the most. I mean, the guy looks just right for this system! Already mechanical and that. Hulk's pretty awesome too. If the shoulder 'pads' were white, or maybe black, then I could believe that as a shirt on his shoulders.. but for now it just looks awkward. To me, Joker's just crazy, but organized.. organized chaos. That's what interests me about him. The translucent parts are a plus for me too. Not as big a fan of Batsy. Wings are interesting, but that's about it for me. Good bunch of parts though. Lantern's the same for me. That big spiky ball thing looks alright on Black Phantom, but here.. I'm not too sure. The shoulder pads are also a little odd to me.. but they make the guy look imposing, so I suppose that's a good thing? Why do Captain America? True the movie of the same name just came out, but so did 'Thor', and to be honest he just looks awkward with those extra limb pieces across the torso. He's also missing those wing things on the sides of his helmet. Wonder why? I would have loved Thor to come out, at least there would have been an excuse for more gold or Yellow at least.. I've got mixed feelings for the range. I'll update my thoughts when I see them in the flesh.. er, I mean plastic.

Hey, maybe there'll be a second wave. Perhaps we can get Spider-man, Wolverine, and Thor out of it.

I'm assuming that there will be at least two waves. There are a lot more heroes that they still have yet to make, as you said.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

A true comic book geek, as I have a shelf to the right of me right now literally full of comics worth about 100 dollars each, I feel I can pass judgement and say that these toys do not bring the characters justice. What were they thinking when they designed Batman? I'm guessing they're going to lose or barely make back the money put into making these. Good news- they'll be really expensive collector's items in about 10-20 years if LEGO covers the unsold ones with cement.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

A true comic book geek, as I have a shelf to the right of me right now literally full of comics worth about 100 dollars each, I feel I can pass judgement and say that these toys do not bring the characters justice. What were they thinking when they designed Batman? I'm guessing they're going to lose or barely make back the money put into making these. Good news- they'll be really expensive collector's items in about 10-20 years if LEGO covers the unsold ones with cement.

I don't really think that's a fair assessment. They aren't trying to appeal to any one person's sense of aesthetic (I'm not saying everybody has to like everything, but I see a lot of people take personal offense because it doesn't match their preconceived ideals, which I think is quite an unfair evaluation of everything). They're creating a recognizable brand of action figure lines that will (hopefully) appeal to certain demographics, the hardcore comic book geek likely not among them. As I've mentioned before, I've had far more ridiculous looking Batman action figures than this model, so I don't see what the complaints are all about. LEGO is trying something new, and even if it does deviate heavily from their style, I can imagine this paying off quite well. Plus, marketing isn't based solely on customer purchases, but that's another conversation entirely.

Am I the only one who finds these pics to be somewhat disturbing? Human faces shouldn't be put on robotic bodies, it just feels wrong, somehow.

Besides Joker, none of the figures' bodies really look robotic. The smooth, angled aesthetic of most Hero Factory 2.0 parts deviates greatly from the piston-heavy, framework-like style used for a lot of BIONICLE parts, and could easily pass as armor or a costume for a human character stylized similarly to these sets. The joint areas, when exposed, are somewhat robotic-looking, but this could be said of a lot of articulated action figures. Compared to some products on the market like, say, the Star Wars Transformers, these hardly look robotic at all.

I'm only gonna get Iron Man, Green Lantern, and Joker, Joker just for the PURPLE and Green Lantern just for the giant green mace thingy he has coming out of his ring. But yeah, Spiderman would be cool, he could have a chain recolored in white, which would be so awesome. And Thor, who has a sweet weapon, and Wolverine, whose claws would look cool in Lego.

Edited by Makuta Dralcax

aouROFb.png

My feelings about this line are very mixed.Iron Man, as others have said, is among the best of these, as he translates well into this building system.Green Lantern is pretty cool as well, though not quite as interesting.Hulk is mostly okay looking, but the ridiculously spindly legs kind of ruin the set.The Joker has a very jumbled color scheme, but manages to pull it off, seeing as it involves purple, and he is the Joker.Batman is excellent, except for the color scheme. He really should be black or gunmetal, or at least a darker blue."That is not dead which can eternal lie, / And with strange aeons even death may die."

Edited by Great Cthulhu

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png