• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Chess Set

Chess

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Sushi Boy

• 04-September 06
  • 12,343 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Aug 14 2012 - 01:31 PM

Been a while since I posted a topic, and it's been forever since I've been in this forum. The best way to get activity, though, is to start topics ... for no one can post in a forum lacking topics.This is a little something that I've been working on for a good while, but only recently did I purchase the parts needed to complete it.

Posted ImagePosted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image

Pictures of the individual pieces can be taken upon request.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

#2 Offline Paleo

Paleo
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 09-January 11
  • 869 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Aug 14 2012 - 02:29 PM

Great work Sumi! I really like the King's "crown", as well as the way you make the Bishops narrow gradually (that special little single-stud is really nice). However, the Rooks look a bit awkward with the incredibly large tops. Any way to make it more compact?

#3 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 01-April 07
  • 3,173 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Aug 14 2012 - 02:45 PM

No teal? :PI like the work on this chess set, and LEGO chess sets in all are awesome. The bishops are nice, but like Paleo said, the rooks could be a bit smaller at the top. Also, could there be a way to make the knights look a bit more horse-like? Overall, nice job. Have you played on it yet?
--
Meiko - @georgebarnick
LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#4 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Sushi Boy

• 04-September 06
  • 12,343 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Aug 14 2012 - 09:13 PM

Great work Sumi! I really like the King's "crown", as well as the way you make the Bishops narrow gradually (that special little single-stud is really nice). However, the Rooks look a bit awkward with the incredibly large tops. Any way to make it more compact?

The bishops don't have a single stud on the top - it's actually a black lightsaber-sword part. The cones fit them perfectly.The rooks don't look too bad in person, but I can see where you're going with the cumbersomeness. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them down to 3x3 at the top without them looking completely unrecognizable. :P As it is, they only have a problem when next to a knight.

No teal? :PI like the work on this chess set, and LEGO chess sets in all are awesome. The bishops are nice, but like Paleo said, the rooks could be a bit smaller at the top. Also, could there be a way to make the knights look a bit more horse-like? Overall, nice job. Have you played on it yet?

DANG IT, NOW I NEED TO MAKE A TEAL AND PURPLE CHESS SETI suppose I overdid the stylization on the knights. I suppose I could try bullnose bricks, but I'm not sure if they come in black and white. I don't think I'm very good at building in confined spaces, but I'll keep tinkering with it to see if I can come up with something a bit more realistic.Yes, I have indeed played on it. I've beaten my dad and my dad has beaten me - though I'm proud to say that, for the first time in my life, the former is more common than the latter.

#5 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 19-November 08
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 02:48 PM

The tops of the king pieces are really cool. :)Did you use skeleton or Exo-Force robot arms to make them?

#6 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Sushi Boy

• 04-September 06
  • 12,343 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 03:34 PM

Those are actually the queens; the queens always go on their own color.They are skeleton pieces. Exo-Force arms are too thick to use.

#7 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 19-November 08
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 22 2012 - 01:20 PM

Those are actually the queens; the queens always go on their own color.They are skeleton pieces. Exo-Force arms are too thick to use.

Oh. I thought they were kings because they looked fancier. :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users