[Update 9/20] Disguised Great Being Revealed!

Yes, that was obvious. We've been following this for too long. :PBut still, great to hear the news.

I'll be honest, I did not see that one coming.

So, now that we know Velika is the GB, what does this mean for us? I'll be honest, it makes me wonder how or why he let the Piraka get away with taking over Voya Nui so easily. I also wonder does that mean he was depowered until he reached Spherus Magna?

Good to hear Bionicle news after so long.

Bones said that the GB didn't have didn't have any GB-related powers, just the ones his body would have normally had.

Right. So....what is the significance of this? Like, I don't really get all this. A character we knew is a different species to what we thought he was. Great. This did always seem like a twist for the sake of having a twist. And given that the story is probably finished, there's no point in this.I just don't get the excitement at such a pointless and lazy attempt at a twist.- Tilius
Just be grateful that we've gotten any word, let alone update, from Greg.
So you're saying that if Greg wrote a half-hearted serial chapter that was rushed and devalued the entire previous story, we should still be grateful? We should be grateful for him throwing in a pointless twist like this? I thought the days of lapping up everything Greg says, does and writes were over, but apparently not.- Tilius

So you're saying that if Greg wrote a half-hearted serial chapter that was rushed and devalued the entire previous story, we should still be grateful? We should be grateful for him throwing in a pointless twist like this? I thought the days of lapping up everything Greg says, does and writes were over, but apparently not.- Tilius
The fact that Greg revealed that there was a GB in the MU was revealed when he had intention of finishing the storyline. He can't take that fact back just because he's busy. It's helpful for those of us who want to write fan fiction to know this fact, because it's a critical piece of information. I agree a half-hearted completion to the serials would be a bad thing, but I don't think it will be done half-heartedly. It would be hard to finish it quickly, either he'd have to kill off several characters in the two serials, or there would be no definitive ending at all, and the serials would have no actual significant storyline. If Greg is planning to finish it, he will have no intention of doing either of those things.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

The fact that Greg revealed that there was a GB in the MU was revealed when he had intention of finishing the storyline. He can't take that fact back just because he's busy. It's helpful for those of us who want to write fan fiction to know this fact, because it's a critical piece of information. I agree a half-hearted completion to the serials would be a bad thing, but I don't think it will be done half-heartedly. It would be hard to finish it quickly, either he'd have to kill off several characters in the two serials, or there would be no definitive ending at all, and the serials would have no actual significant storyline. If Greg is planning to finish it, he will have no intention of doing either of those things.
My point was just that the whole 'Oh just be grateful for any information we get, you're not allowed to complain about it' attitude is a stoopid one.- Tilius

Well I'm glad hooking you up with Greg worked out. :P

Having convinced myself of it ages ago, I'm really not surprised by it being Velika. But it is fantastic to have some confirmation.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Tilius, let's not start an argument, okay? You don't prefer to know this, most of us do, and like all preference things that's okay, and no real point in arguing one is better than the other. (Except... being entertainment... yadda... You know the spiel lol. :P) If for no other reason, knowing things like this will be immensely helpful to those of us who write fanfics. I'm already planning a major purpose of this for my Paracosmos stories. ^_^

I'll be honest, I did not see that one coming.

So, now that we know Velika is the GB, what does this mean for us? I'll be honest, it makes me wonder how or why he let the Piraka get away with taking over Voya Nui so easily. I also wonder does that mean he was depowered until he reached Spherus Magna?

Good to hear Bionicle news after so long.

This makes me wonder if Velika played a role in the GB devices on the 777 stairs. Now that I think of it, I recall at one point thinking "this almost feels like a GB is watching and guiding these devices". I forget when exactly but I think it was the one that "killed" Matoro and revived him (or whatever it did).So maybe the GB did do just enough, subtly, to make sure the Inika would succeed, as they did, and not the Piraka, without showing his hand and thus blowing his cover.

Bones said that the GB didn't have didn't have any GB-related powers, just the ones his body would have normally had.
Well I believe I worded it as a very likely theory, for the record. We really can't know for sure either way unless Greg tells us. I forget now, but I do think I had strong evidence for it, but not quite proof. Anyways, either way, Velika works perfectly IMO. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why is everyone upset about Velika being a Great Being? Is there something I missed?

every one is upset because they just wanted someone else to be the great being for personnal reasons. I, for one, am happy that we have news, and I think Velika was the perfect canditate for a GB

Need a voice over done? PM me or reach me at mikolajdudek@gmail.com!

ikg4k.gif

Why is everyone upset about Velika being a Great Being? Is there something I missed?

"Everyone" is not. Just some. Probably it's just because some people convinced themselves Greg would never contact us again so we wouldn't know, so they may have gotten too attached to some alternate theories. :shrugs: (Let this be a lesson to us all not to make assumptions about the future! ^_^)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Not so sure if this actually adds depth to Velika's character. It anything it devalues it, as it seems to me that it suggests Matoran can't be eccentric on their own, and that if a Matoran is then the explanation has to be "Oh, the he's really a deity-like figure, because of course Matoran can't be too unique on their own can they."Otherwise, though, I'm glad this was revealed if only to end the inane epileptic tree arguments about people endlessly claiming their favorite villain was the Great Being, against all logic in the starting point of the speculation topic. That seems the most relevant part, since I doubt Greg will ever continue with the serials. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

~B~

Tilius, let's not start an argument, okay? You don't prefer to know this, most of us do, and like all preference things that's okay, and no real point in arguing one is better than the other. (Except... being entertainment... yadda... You know the spiel lol. :P) If for no other reason, knowing things like this will be immensely helpful to those of us who write fanfics. I'm already planning a major purpose of this for my Paracosmos stories. ^_^
I don't particularly not want to know this - I don't care either way - I just think it's an incredibly lazy and unnecessary twist. That's where my problem lies, that and the fact that people are still all OMG THANKS GREG THATS AMAZING when it's not particularly. Given that there's really no story now, this 'twist' is all the more pointless. I mean, it's nice to know after all the OOH WHO IS IT business, but we don't have anything to do with the information, because there's no story anymore. It's good for fanfics, I suppose, but I'm sure fan writers could've come up with this anyway.You get the wrong end of the stick - my problem is the laziness of it, and the AWE of the fanbase at this MASSIVE REVELATION even though it's such a lazy twist. It's not a case of me wanting to know/not wanting to know etc, because I really don't care who it is and whether we know or not. I just don't understand how people are in any way impressed by this 'twist'. It's hardly The Sixth Sense or Bioshock or The Prestige. It's a 'twist' that's been added in for utterly no reason.- Tilius Edited by Tilius

-cough- Okay, now that I've finished shrieking in joy...

Anyone remember how Velika's a Toa in the "The Kingdom" Alternate Universe? He'd almost definitely still be the GB seeing as the splitpoint for that AU was the end of the 2007 storyline, so... any thoughts on whether this GB having a Toa's body would be a terrible, terrible thing? :biggrin:

That is a good question. Perhaps in that alternate universe the Great Being didn't take over Velika's body. Or since his creation failed. He decided to help the Matoran Universe citizens by letting himself become a Toa.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I don't particularly not want to know this - I don't care either way - I just think it's an incredibly lazy and unnecessary twist. That's where my problem lies, that and the fact that people are still all OMG THANKS GREG THATS AMAZING when it's not particularly. Given that there's really no story now, this 'twist' is all the more pointless. I mean, it's nice to know after all the OOH WHO IS IT business, but we don't have anything to do with the information, because there's no story anymore. It's good for fanfics, I suppose, but I'm sure fan writers could've come up with this anyway.You get the wrong end of the stick - my problem is the laziness of it, and the AWE of the fanbase at this MASSIVE REVELATION even though it's such a lazy twist. It's not a case of me wanting to know/not wanting to know etc, because I really don't care who it is and whether we know or not. I just don't understand how people are in any way impressed by this 'twist'. It's hardly The Sixth Sense or Bioshock or The Prestige. It's a 'twist' that's been added in for utterly no reason.- Tilius
hey, Greg is not lazy, He is just really busy at the momment. And you should be thankful that the bionicle story was even continued. good day! Edited by bonesiii
Not starting an argument goes both ways, toa jalokim. Please remember our rules. Post edited. -bones

ikg4k.gif

suggests Matoran can't be eccentric on their own

Kapura still is. Really, this reaction is inevitable no matter who it is with such reveals. But this is a mystery story so such secret identities fit it naturally, sparingly. :)

it's nice to know after all the OOH WHO IS IT business, but we don't have anything to do with the information, because there's no story anymore. It's good for fanfics, I suppose, but I'm sure fan writers could've come up with this anyway.
Well, sure, but it's good to know, given that it was going to come out anyways. And I agree it would be best to have it revealed in story, but that's probably not gonna happen. Still holding out hope though. ^_^In this case, since we had a contest about it and great ongoing interest, it makes sense to know it. Not that I would want to necessarily close the door on knowing some other secrets. Greg has given us much 'extra' insight over the years besides what's in the story, so we're used to it. :) He can use his judgement on these matters better than us, as we are not in his shoes.

I don't particularly not want to know this - I don't care either way - I just think it's an incredibly lazy and unnecessary twist. That's where my problem lies, that and the fact that people are still all OMG THANKS GREG THATS AMAZING when it's not particularly. Given that there's really no story now, this 'twist' is all the more pointless. I mean, it's nice to know after all the OOH WHO IS IT business, but we don't have anything to do with the information, because there's no story anymore. It's good for fanfics, I suppose, but I'm sure fan writers could've come up with this anyway.You get the wrong end of the stick - my problem is the laziness of it, and the AWE of the fanbase at this MASSIVE REVELATION even though it's such a lazy twist. It's not a case of me wanting to know/not wanting to know etc, because I really don't care who it is and whether we know or not. I just don't understand how people are in any way impressed by this 'twist'. It's hardly The Sixth Sense or Bioshock or The Prestige. It's a 'twist' that's been added in for utterly no reason.- Tilius
hey, Greg is not lazy, He is just really busy at the momment. And you should be thankful that the bionicle story was even continued. good day!
Did you read any of my post, or just see the word 'lazy' and jump to conclusions?And I shouldn't be thankful that it was continued if it continues badly, as I've said before. And I said that the twist was lazy, not that Greg was lazy.
Well, sure, but it's good to know, given that it was going to come out anyways. And I agree it would be best to have it revealed in story, but that's probably not gonna happen. Still holding out hope though. ^_^In this case, since we had a contest about it and great ongoing interest, it makes sense to know it. Not that I would want to necessarily close the door on knowing some other secrets. Greg has given us much 'extra' insight over the years besides what's in the story, so we're used to it. :) He can use his judgement on these matters better than us, as we are not in his shoes.
Yep. But it's still a sucky and lazy twist. :biggrin:- Tilius Edited by bonesiii
I edited toa jalokim's post, and edited as well in the reply, as well as the reply a little. Please remain civil, everybody. Thanks.:) -bones

Anyone remember how Velika's a Toa in the "The Kingdom" Alternate Universe? He'd almost definitely still be the GB seeing as the splitpoint for that AU was the end of the 2007 storyline, so... any thoughts on whether this GB having a Toa's body would be a terrible, terrible thing? :biggrin:

That is a good question. Perhaps in that alternate universe the Great Being didn't take over Velika's body. Or since his creation failed. He decided to help the Matoran Universe citizens by letting himself become a Toa.

He could indeed be helpful. For all we know that horrible, evil thing he's planning is just a 'shut down the nanotech now that it's done' thing, but in the Kingdom he might have noticed "Wait, wait, wait, that would be terrible, look at them they're amazing" and gone a bit native.

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Yep. But it's still a sucky and lazy twist. :biggrin:- Tilius
SUCKY?! the only bionicle fans who would read these new serials are the loyal fans! Edited by bonesiii
Quotes of posts I had later edited removed, and please see Black Six's post below. -bones

ikg4k.gif

SUCKY?! the only bionicle fans who would read these new serials are the loyal fans!
An excellent, well thought-out response. Congrats.- Tilius Edited by bonesiii
Quotes of posts I had later edited removed, and please see Black Six's post below. -bones

An excellent, well thought-out response. Congrats.- Tilius
at least I would never lose my faith in bionicle. Edited by bonesiii
Excessive quoting and quotes of pre-edit posts removed. -bones

ikg4k.gif

at least I would never lose my faith in bionicle.
So what you're saying is that you're incapable of critical thought? Well done on that, that's something you should definitely be proud of. If you have any more classic one-liners, please PM them to me.- Tilius Edited by bonesiii
Excessive quoting and quotes of pre-edit posts removed. -bones

I think it's a shame nobody really drew attention to this fact in the guessing topic, the way the GB would behave in an alternate dimension given different circumstances could have been a strong give away, and a lot of the members of that Toa team could have been candidates. It would've been just a little more evidence to add to the theories. Not needed now though.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I think it's a shame nobody really drew attention to this fact in the guessing topic, the way the GB would behave in an alternate dimension given different circumstances could have been a strong give away, and a lot of the members of that Toa team could have been candidates. It would've been just a little more evidence to add to the theories. Not needed now though.

:fear: I was going to bring it up! At some point! And then Erebus posted this and suddenly my noting that Velika was a Toa in the Kingdom AU and how would that affect the likelihood of him being the GB... well, considering he is the GB, you can't really affect absolute certainty now can you?

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Well, this is interesting, but really only becuase GregF corresponded. I must agree with Tillius that by my perspective, this reveal is useless without story to show how everyone in the BIONICLE universe responds. Granted, it allows for great fanfic potential, but considering how many thought Velika was the Great Being anyway, I don't think it really makes all that much difference.Is it lazy? Not in my opinion, otherwise anytime anyone announces something without a narrative it could be considered lazy. With a dead toy line, this is a perfectly appropriate method of revealing a secret with relatively little consequence, now that the canonical story is pretty much discontinued.

Edited by LewaLew
Fixing a typo with the spoiler tags so they work. -bones
How well will you die?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.how to make spoiler?

Wow, velika made riddles, alot. was he trying to conceal his identity as a riddling matoran, or is that how he REALLY speaks?

Edited by bonesiii
Spoiler tags added. -bones

While getting new story information is good and all, I don't find this terribly exciting. After all, the story stopped before this information could become relevant. Okay, Velika is a Great Being, so what? Without any story to show the reveal, this tidbit is al but useless.Personally, I would be more interested in the identity of the murderer in TPTB. (Since the murderer and the GB have never been said to be the same) At least that already has some relevance on the plot. This doesn't.

AXKP5KC.png

Hey, guys, instead of saying it has no plot relevance, why don't we instead try to use our imaginations and think of ways it might? I've thought of one already I mentioned earlier. :) I believe Greg would agree with this approach re: his mini-contest about those Kranalike things years ago. ^_^And keep in mind, again, this is a mystery story. It's always been filled with things that might be clues, might not be, that at the time might seem irrelevant. Plus, this is LEGO, it's about imagination anyways. :)And... you never know... we might be able to base a fanon contest on this sometime. ^_^ Got some ideas... we'll see... >_>

Edited by bonesiii

So, after shrieking with joy for a while, I ran into my closet and told Velika the good news, however, being a plastic toy, it said nothing. Either way, it's fantastic to hear the news! I'm hoping this means he'll definitely want to continue when his duties are less? I can't wait!

Not trying to be bitter here, but are people seriously complaining about this? First little bit of BIONICLE news we get in a while, and people are still complaining about it. I was just excited for the news...

Edited by T.B.O.C

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!