[Update 9/20] Disguised Great Being Revealed!

Holy Mata Nui... I'm so glad GregF is alive and trying to contact us Bionicle fans. The disturbing silence over the past -almost a year or so now- when no new serials were coming was a shuddering thought. I'm glad I guessed it right.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I have a theory. We have inferred that Velika's mind is a replication of a Great Being's mind in the form of a Matoran AI. A few of you have brought up the question of what happened to the Great Being's organic body. Well, what if Velika [is]is[/i] Angonce, or Heremus or another Great Being that is still around, and Velika's mind is just a replication of theirs?

I miss BIONICLE.

I don't think Greg has the authority to end the story. One, Lego left the story going so that they could possibly revive it in the future (there have been several reasons that both BZPers and Greg have speculated as to why this may be). Two, Greg is not allowed to reveal the "true nature of the Great Beings" so he's not just going to reveal everything now. That lends itself to the probability that Lego doesn't want to give Bionicle up, IMO.

I was pretty sure it was Velika. What I'm really interested in now is Velika's plans for the Toa Mata that he was referring to in one chapter (TPTB4?)

Let's Keep Bionicle Alive,Lewa Krom

Quite frankly, it's not Lego's decision. Lego is the one without rights. It's Greg's story, and especially because Lego has given up on the merchandise line, the ball is entirely in Greg's court now. If anyone continues it, it will be Greg.We can hope...
So with secret divulged, will we actually get anymore? Because if he has no power and time to write serials, he should really just reveal who the killer is and more because waiting that long for an answer is ridiculous. End the story so people like me can continue it in their own way.
This. I hope that he will just name the Murderer and maybe give a short synopsis of what was planned. I think then that BIONICLE, for me at least, can finally feel like it has definitive closure. This was a huge step though.-Star
I agree -- but preferably only if Greg seriously thinks he won't have time to finish the unfinished stories. I think it's quite possible he'll find the time. :)
I don't think it would be complete without a closure to the two current serials. There are too many loose ends, not just the "Murderer" mystery. What about the Toa Mahri? The last we heard of them they were walking off following some golden being. And what about some other characters (sadly, I forget which Toa they are) and Gaardus who have found MAVRAH of all beings, inside the Red Star? No, the story needs more completion for a final closure.We just have to have patience, and give Greg the time he needs. He's a human, and his purpose in life isn't to serve us. Not that I am accusing anyone of believing that, but the point needs to be made.Waiting is hard, but I believe that it's worth it.

I hope that he will just name the Murderer and maybe give a short synopsis of what was planned.
I've actually theorized the murderer to be Iruini.

But, as far as this announcement goes, it definetly raises hope that Greg still thinks of us and would like to continue the serials at one point. I've got to say though, as far as the twist, I can honestly say I can't relate. Not that it's bad chosing him, I was just never into the story at that point to know who he was, or how he acted to begin with. But, at any rate, it's great to find out who the great being was. :)

Edited by Aldian

I have always wondered who the rights to Bionicle belong to now that the storyline has ended. Does Lego still have copyrights on the name Bionicle? If Greg was to license High Moon Studios, etc. to make a Bionicle game, would there be any legality issues with this? Who knows.Anyways, as for the identity of this character:

Velika would be the last person I expect. I don't understand how it makes any sense, or if this was planned since the character was developed. Now, I want to try and make sense of it and the first thing is the location. He was somewhere in the Matoran Universe, and was probably there as an envoy for the Great Beings to overlook everything. Since Mata-Nui and Velika most likely lost contact with the Great Beings as things went all awry, Velika still kept up his cover as a Matoran. This means he eventually got taken to Karzahni, as is the history of all of the Voya-Nui residents. Now this is where things get weird. The Great Beings' biology has never really been established, but it has always been assumed they are mainly organic. Velika transferred his mind into the body of a Matoran, (According to BS01, I don't know if this is canon or not), and kept up the disguise as long as possible. This means Velika's original body may be somewhere on Spherus Magna, and the body could prove important at some point in the story. However, if he was merely diguised as a Matoran, Karzahni may have kept him longer and experimented on him, trying to figure out why his physiology was different from the others. So, Karzahni may have knowledge of the Great Beings and how their bodies function. Karzahni was one of the people who was murdered. Perhaps his knowledge was a reason as to why he was killed?

For the record, I hope this doesn't give anybody false hope as to the return of Greg or BIONICLE or whatever. Greg was nice enough to take some time out of his very busy schedule and provide us with some answers. Maybe we'll get some more in the future, maybe not, but the continuation of the serials has roughly the same probability of occurrence as the world ending in a few months.

Well, luckily I managed to procure the set of this character for $5.00 just a moment ago.

This announcement is pretty much the last thing I expected, but it's still one more step towards closure - of any kind.

Edited by Cobui

fjRqLk4.jpg

I have always wondered who the rights to Bionicle belong to now that the storyline has ended. Does Lego still have copyrights on the name Bionicle?
They did; I dunno how long the time period is for this sort of thing, but pretty sure they still do.However, Greg licensing a game or the like would be a whole 'nother matter, and isn't gonna happen.
Velika would be the last person I expect. I don't understand how it makes any sense, or if this was planned since the character was developed.
It was almost certainly not; Greg described narrowing down options when he chose it, and those he ruled out, in the "Who It Isn't" topic on the old forums. However, he may have had something like it in mind; it's amazing how perfectly it fits his personality. (Maybe he even subconsciously thought of it, heh; I do that sort of thing all the time when I'm writing.)
Now, I want to try and make sense of it and the first thing is the location. He was somewhere in the Matoran Universe, and was probably there as an envoy for the Great Beings to overlook everything.
I've been hoping someone would bring up location here, 'cuz I have some thoughts on it. But first, he went without the other GBs knowing. He was not on any official mission for the others.Anyways, we have to keep in mind we don't know where he was originally. It could have been Metru Nui, but at some point his body was damaged and he was sent to Karzahni to be repaired. Then later to the Voya Nui area of the southern continent by Karzahni to hide his poor repairing job as with the others. This could be anything from pure bad luck, to pure good luck, considering he ended up on the most important island in or outside of the MU, since Mata Nui was dying. Or even totally intentional.
This means Velika's original body may be somewhere on Spherus Magna, and the body could prove important at some point in the story.
It's possible, though not sure I see why this would be relevant to his location in the MU... :P
So, Karzahni may have knowledge of the Great Beings and how their bodies function. Karzahni was one of the people who was murdered. Perhaps his knowledge was a reason as to why he was killed?
But as you said, his body is no different from any other Matoran, because it's just the GB's consciousness inside. It's possible the GB never intended to get damaged and then poorly repaired, though, so revenge for that might be a motive, but would that apply to Tren Krom in any way? It's just as likely the murderer just wants to remove villains. (Which could apply to any identity of the murderer really.)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's given most people a "false" sense of hope, Axel. This is BZPower, learn to deal with it. I'm not the smartest person regarding this kind of thing, so I'm not going to bother with my reply as to whether the hopes are really false or not, but.... nearly everyone searches around for some hope to hold on to regarding BIONICLE, and I've learned to expect it by now.

toatanusignature.png

I actually logged in! And was stupid enough to spoil this for myself! Kind of disappointed in my poor decision making now.I am not disappointed, however, in this decision. Not super-awesomely thrilled, but it's certainly not a bad choice. Mysterious character.QUICK EDIT: The Great Being is the murderer, correct? If so... woah...

Edited by Ghoti

I actually logged in! And was stupid enough to spoil this for myself! Kind of disappointed in my poor decision making now.I am not disappointed, however, in this decision. Not super-awesomely thrilled, but it's certainly not a bad choice. Mysterious character.QUICK EDIT: The Great Being is the murderer, correct? If so... woah...
We don't know if the GB is actually the murderer or not, unfortunately. Heavily implied, and would make a lot of sense, but unconfirmed.

Sweet! I do remember people guessing this when the issue came up. Now I can't wait to see the new chapter! :)

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Wow. Personally, I wanted it to be

Krika not Velika

for a number of reasons.

Why? So the Great Being could have been vaporized on Karda Nui?~B~

Edited by bonesiii
Spoiler tags are your friends. :) -bones

I have always wondered who the rights to Bionicle belong to now that the storyline has ended. Does Lego still have copyrights on the name Bionicle?
They did; I dunno how long the time period is for this sort of thing, but pretty sure they still do.However, Greg licensing a game or the like would be a whole 'nother matter, and isn't gonna happen.
I understand. It was merely an example of one of the many ways the Bionicle franchise could be revived.
Velika would be the last person I expect. I don't understand how it makes any sense, or if this was planned since the character was developed.
It was almost certainly not; Greg described narrowing down options when he chose it, and those he ruled out, in the "Who It Isn't" topic on the old forums. However, he may have had something like it in mind; it's amazing how perfectly it fits his personality. (Maybe he even subconsciously thought of it, heh; I do that sort of thing all the time when I'm writing.)
Ah. It certainly is a strange choice, but it is one you don't expect. That is good, because it makes you think "why is such a character a Great Being?"
Now, I want to try and make sense of it and the first thing is the location. He was somewhere in the Matoran Universe, and was probably there as an envoy for the Great Beings to overlook everything.
I've been hoping someone would bring up location here, 'cuz I have some thoughts on it. But first, he went without the other GBs knowing. He was not on any official mission for the others.Anyways, we have to keep in mind we don't know where he was originally. It could have been Metru Nui, but at some point his body was damaged and he was sent to Karzahni to be repaired. Then later to the Voya Nui area of the southern continent by Karzahni to hide his poor repairing job as with the others. This could be anything from pure bad luck, to pure good luck, considering he ended up on the most important island in or outside of the MU, since Mata Nui was dying. Or even totally intentional.
I was thinking of this too. Perhaps he was one of the few that actually was on the island that became Voya-Nui, and he was there for a reason. Assuming everything in the BS01 article is in fact canon, he went without the other Great Beings knowing.
This means Velika's original body may be somewhere on Spherus Magna, and the body could prove important at some point in the story.
It's possible, though not sure I see why this would be relevant to his location in the MU... :P
Understood, but it may be relevant to events on Spherus Magna. It is likely whoever Velika was as a Great Being was presumed dead when they found his body, or maybe they never did? Perhaps he was already in the MU when he performed the body-swap, which raises even more questions. Did any GB's notice he was gone? Why? Was he evil? A delinquent? If that is the case why were they not keeping tabs on him in case of a betrayal?
So, Karzahni may have knowledge of the Great Beings and how their bodies function. Karzahni was one of the people who was murdered. Perhaps his knowledge was a reason as to why he was killed?
But as you said, his body is no different from any other Matoran, because it's just the GB's consciousness inside. It's possible the GB never intended to get damaged and then poorly repaired, though, so revenge for that might be a motive, but would that apply to Tren Krom in any way? It's just as likely the murderer just wants to remove villains. (Which could apply to any identity of the murderer really.)
Before I said this, I said "what if he was merely disguised", as in his physiology is that of a Great Being, he is just diminuative in stature and thus can wear armor like a Matoran to appear as one. If that were the case, Karzahni may have knowledge. If he performed a swap to a Matoran's body, as is probably the case, no. He is just the same as any other Matoran. However, the idea of Velika out for revenge is interesting. Also, an important thing to note is in the Kingdom Universe he became a Toa, meaning he was potential to be one in the main universe. So if he is the murderer, perhaps he became a Toa before going on his killing spree. There are many ways to obtain a Toa stone, and if it was his destiny to become a Toa, it doesn't matter how he obtained it.

Before I said this, I said "what if he was merely disguised", as in his physiology is that of a Great Being, he is just diminuative in stature and thus can wear armor like a Matoran to appear as one. If that were the case, Karzahni may have knowledge.
Ah, I see. Well, a very interesting theory. It makes me think of Criminal Minds, where often the first kill by a serial killer is the most important, so the motive being there for Karzahni may be enough to get him thinking of killing other villains like TK where there is no clearly personal motive. :shrugs:Still, pretty sure we know that it's just his consciousness. Greg did at least confirm that storing his consciousness so he could take the form of anyone who was made much later was an option. And I would presume this means that his consciousness alone was what he kept regardless of when he took the form.As for what happened to the body, another option is that GBs might be able to (or know how to make tech to) turn their body into energy and store it as a spirit along with their stored consciousnesses. Or maybe just this guy learned how to, etc. Any number of options. I like the idea of his actual body being kept in stasis somewhere on SM best, though, I think.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, what is GregF doing right now that prevents him from going back to the serials? We've been waiting for the resolutions to these loose ends for over a year now; we want some closure
He's working full-time on Ninjago, as far as we know. He writes the novels, and graphic novels, is still the editor of the LEGO Club Magazine, and that's without mentioning that he's a father now. He's also writing the upcoming HF novel(s), so that too. He has more important things to do. Bionicle is low priority. Edited by undyingUmbrage

AXKP5KC.png

I have a theory. We have inferred that Velika's mind is a replication of a Great Being's mind in the form of a Matoran AI. A few of you have brought up the question of what happened to the Great Being's organic body. Well, what if Velika [is]is[/i] Angonce, or Heremus or another Great Being that is still around, and Velika's mind is just a replication of theirs?

Velika's mind ins't a REPLICATION of the GB's mind. It IS the GB's mind, and his spirit, effectively transferred from his former body into Velika's. It's comparable to what Teridax did to the Maxilos robot, or what Chirop did with the Exo-Toa to spook Mutran in The Mutran Chronicle. The Velika we knew and loved (or hated, in Kazi's case) WAS the GB, not a copy.But, all of this aside, I have another valid point to make: In The Kingdom, it described Takanuva becoming a Turaga... he made Velika a Toa in the process. It may not be quite relevant, but it's worth noting that there's an alternate reality where there's a GB Toa.

While this is kinda a cool revelation, I gotta agree (at least partially) with Tilius's first point on this one -- I really wish it would've been revealed as a story, and not just like this; as it is it seems slightly pointless. But again, it'll be cool to be able to use this information in fanfics and see what other people create based on this information.It's just a question of "why now?" and "why like this?" I mean, I'm glad it was revealed (though probably not nearly as glad as most people who are, as I was never the biggest fan of Bara Magna anyway so didn't even remember the GB mentioned), as it'll be cool to see what other people do with it. I just wish that Greg would've done something with it in his revelation. But you can't please everyone. Thanks for doing this, Erebus, and Greg for the information. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I myself am very pleased with this reveal, but I am even more pleased to receive an update after so long. As Bonesiii said, I guess patience does pay off sometimes. Personally, I hope this isn't the last update we get and I really hope that the story can continue, but for now I'll just enjoy this little bit of information. :DAlso, I strongly support the request to thank Greg for this. :)

Edited by XyzTheDay!
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

But, all of this aside, I have another valid point to make: In The Kingdom, it described Takanuva becoming a Turaga... he made Velika a Toa in the process. It may not be quite relevant, but it's worth noting that there's an alternate reality where there's a GB Toa.

Oh hey, someone else noticed! Yes. Yes there is. In that same reality, Aqua Magna is still a separate celestial body from the Spherus Magna collective. Also, Nuju and Nuparu are working on a rocket ship to search the universe for new life and new civilzations. What do you think of Velika suggesting the project -- and possibly working on it and sneakily using his GB knowledge to make sure the thing works and is awesome -- because he knows that Bara Magna is, in interstellar distances, right around the corner?

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Well it feels great to some actual BIONICLE news for a long time! I was thinking, considering Greg probably won't be doing anything for BIONICLE "for the forseeable future" (see what I did there?) I honestly would like him to provide BZPower summary of everything that had been planned in the story; living in a cliffhanger for the past year where Mavrah is still alive is annoying. Anyone else think so?

ViSa1Uz.jpg

As infrequent as I post, I will always continue to be a BIONICLE fan

Well it feels great to some actual BIONICLE news for a long time! I was thinking, considering Greg probably won't be doing anything for BIONICLE "for the forseeable future" (see what I did there?) I honestly would like him to provide BZPower summary of everything that had been planned in the story; living in a cliffhanger for the past year where Mavrah is still alive is annoying. Anyone else think so?
I agree, and however long it takes, I don't think he will forget about us or never, never have time to write more. It'll come someday, and it's just cynical to depress ourselves and say "Oh! Greg's given us this little bit of information after over a year of inactivity! I guess that means we can't hope for any more, ever. It's just not going to happen, so get your hopes down, peoples." tounge2.gifIt bugs me when people say stuff like that, because there's no point to it. It's realistic to recognize that Greg can't do a lot. But it's not realistic to say that Bionicle is dead forever and we might as well give up hope. Plus, where's the fun in that idea? Evidence points to more content from Greg in the future. It's a lot more cheerful (and exciting!) if we hope for more, and just sit back, be patient, and let Greg do his job in his own good time.

I'm one of those people who would have been upset if it was anyone other than Velika, so good. He was always my favorite Matoran from 2006, and this added character revelation fits him so well that it doesn't even feel like an excessive retcon.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

That's pretty cool. I suspected it, but it's great to finally have confirmation.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)