Toa Ignika

Hello BBC visitors! It's been a very long while since I posted this version back in 2010. The main problems: waist was WAY too thin, and no proper hands. After nearly two years of tinkering I have come up with this Nuva form for the 2008 toa (one picture of all of them, not quite done, is available here). My Matoro was close, but the waist was still too thin... so without further ado, I present Toa Ignika:

ignika1.jpg ignika25.jpg_thumb.jpg

ignika3.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika4.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika13.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika14.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika6.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika17.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika20.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika21.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika22.jpg_thumb.jpg

ignika8.jpg

The waist design is what I really struggled with, and it still may need improvement...

ignika15.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika16.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika7.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika9.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika19.jpg_thumb.jpg

ignika27.jpg_thumb.jpg ignika26.jpg ignika2.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_7195.jpg_thumb.jpg img_7198.jpg_thumb.jpg img_7199.jpg_thumb.jpg

The glider has had some work, and I am still trying to invent a good midak skyblaster.

Hopefully the photography has improved since my last topic. So, please comment, critique, and ask questions. a_peace.png

Edited by Fsnorglepuff
  • Upvote 3

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

This is fantastic. You manage to add an obscene amount of detail to your MOCs without ruining the shaping or proportions. My favourite part of this MOC is the Ignika itself. The paint, and damage are superb, and the construction looks realistically sturdy. I've seen your other MOCs, and each one is better than the last. I look forward to your next creation.10/10

Wow this is just so amazing I had to comment on it. And you made all the Toa Nuva too! And they are equally just as awesome as this one. I can barely put into words how much I like this. I am so jealous of your skill and these MOCs. The colors on all of them look great and this ones colors really stand out. And those custom parts look great.

Excellent work on this and the mask especially! Normally I'd frown upon custom masks, but this one is done so well I just can't help but commend you for it. As for the toa, some quite impressive techniques were used on it, a bit too many cut parts to structure areas of the MOC (seems like when people do that, it's taking too much of a shortcut) but overall a very well done MOC.

Look. I really like this and all your MOCs really, but there's one thing that kinda annoys me about them; their proportions. They're kinda too human-like, which doesn't appeal to me all that well. If only maybe the legs were a bit longer. But the rest of them is...WOW.. From the customization, to the flow, to the shaping... And the new waist looks awesome. Well done, dude!

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Well, it's good to see you back in fine MOCing form, Fsnorglepuff! And I must say that your newest set of creations continues to impress. I'm really looking forward to seeing those cool new Toa Metru in adaptive armor!Let me begin my review on what is undeniably the highlight of this MOC: the mask. The Ignika already looks gorgeous with that extra yellow you added in its middle, but the corroded left half looks amazing to boot. I don't know how you did that effect (Sandblaster? Some sort of acid?), but in any case, it really does seem like the Mask of Life had been marinating in Pit water for a while. Top-notch work on that Kanohi! Otherwise, his body retains the slim yet well-armored aesthetic of Matoro, which is helped by his cut parts, which allow flow and shapes that one normally can't make. His silvery bodice-type torso sheath is nice (although again, I must point out that it makes him appear somewhat female in physique), and I like the light blue heartlight. Also, his lower torso looks remarkably like the bottom of a Toa Mata body piece -- was that intentional?In addition, his limbs seem muscular while retaining the good silver-on-yellow look. Those foot tubes are quite spiffy, and you gave him a nice set of fingers that actually grasp his new sword very well. Finally, that hoverboard has a great mix of old and new: the sleek shape from its set incarnation combined with a wicked custom-made Midak skyblaster. That is a really good design for the main gun; like the Exo-force machine gun, but smaller. A pity that you can't see it in any of the main pictures, but hey, concealed weapons can still work.Overall, this is an excellent revamp of an often-overlooked character. That mask is simply phenomenal, but the rest of the MOC is well-made too. Keep up the good work, and bring on those Toa Nuva!~B~

Thanks all! To answer Ballom, The Renegade Emperor, and Nuparu1995, the mask was done with an exacto-blade. Essentially, I accidentaly damaged the mask a very long time ago (2+ years) and tried to rectify the mistake by making it appear like the Mistika lids of '08. I was then unsatisfied with the colors, and saw that the countdown colors of gold (yellow), silver and black were also in the MOC - so making the most recessed areas yellow, those most prominent black, and the mid-range silver, this pattern was born.It was to supplement the colors that I actually made the holes, so that the gold (yellow) core could be seen. So the process was one of slow evolution; whittling away and painting, then covering with a protective finish. I used acrylic paints.Ballom: yes, I have for years been trying to make a torso that resembled the original. The leg was the first to come, which does to an extent resemble the Nuva leg, and then the chest armor. The lower torso was also an attempt at fixing the chest armor's feminine appearance (which was originally designed with Gali).DARKSIDERZ: I only wish the proportions were human :) In fact, if I were to make the legs longer, as you suggest, this design would actually be more humanly proportioned. It actually seems like the most ideal MOCs have emulated human form as closely as possible.Thanks again to everyone!a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

Historically, I have been adverse to the cutting or modification of parts for functional usage, as I feel it defeats the purpose of building in LEGO. However, I'm more apathetic on items that are aesthetic in nature and have no bearing on the actual design - in this case, the mask. It is one of the best customized masks I've ever seen. It's a gorgeous work of art, and its disintegration ... had you just put the mask in General Art, it probably would have made the front page by now.Any critique I give on the rest of the MOC will undoubtably be overshadowed by my dislike for modified parts, so I'll be a bit more broad it my review. The legs just seem a bit too large compared to the relative thinness of the arms and the lower torso, and the feet just look oversized. They're a good design - you might want to use them on a larger MOC - but they're a little too large here. I like that you used the Nuva shoulder armor, as I've always considered them much more masculine than feminine - and it's unfortunate that they're used for the latter so often in this forum.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

DARKSIDERZ: I did consider it, but I never actually got one. It seemed WAY too small and cheap-looking when I saw the Glatorian sets on display. However, I do want to eventually design my own, smaller, less elongated version of the Ignika that is more Toa-sized. The modifications I have done to the current Ignika actually make the mask appear far smaller than an untouched one, thankfully.Charles J. Guiteau: Thank you! I am glad someone finally shares my perspective on the chest armor. I agree with you on the feet - with the other Toa nothing so large is added to the front of the foot, making them much more proportional. I plan to get more yellow feet to try again with fewer additions. I agree again about the legs, though unfortunately I have failed to create any other design that is armored and shaped as completely as this one. a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Reminds me of your Tahu Mistika. While I'd normally disapprove of similar designs between MOC's, this is so well-done, and rather than being a clone, has a consistent Toa design aesthetic, enough for me to not look down on that in any way.I don't recall Toa Ignika having the half-ravaged mask (Or the mask appearing like that at all, aside from the canisters), but it looks too cool for me to mind. How did you make it like that?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

TNG Prime: You must be referring to my Flash Fire entry. Since then I've definitely improved the design, but of course the build is almost identical for each Toa Nuva. Having Toa Ignika have a Nuva body may seem strange, but it is possible that the mask of life simply imitated the Toa in Karda Nui. Regardless of storyline explanation, Toa Ignika has really just been more of a test of my Nuva Project than part of it (as was my Matoro). The mask was the result of an initial mistake (trying to remove edge-fraying) and the subsequent attempts to fix said mistake. Whittling with an exacto knife, painting with acrylics, and then a clear enamel coat. Many months of tinkering a couple hours a week, just like with the MOC itself. Thanks to you and to High Voltage! a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

This is absolutely epic. Could you take pictures of a breakdown of the chest? I've seen you use it a lot, and even with modded pieces, I still can't quite figure out how you do it. Also, where did you get the hinge for the thumb? is that a modded piece, or entirely from-scratch custom?EDIT: Kind of random, but I'd love to see you make a custom Turaga Lhikan MOC. (You know, with that fancy-pancy hau that has a helmet to go with it. I always wanted to see that piece in a set).

Edited by joev14

Wow, epic job on the mask! I mean, the rest is also really great (especially the body and legs) but that is the best custom mask I've seen. The waist is cleverly built, I also like the colours, and most of all the complexity of the MOC that does, but not at the expense of Toa Ignika being too big.

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

i'll say you're one of the few MOCer who i know have been using modified pieces in a very good way, it's really alot of improvement from the previous one, you really did a good job to the mask, and the overall body design, and the proportion is just awesome, especially the belly partso, overall, awesome job, keep MOCing :D

joev14: Thanks, I'll try to do that this weekend. The torso requires a few cut pieces, but nothing major. The thumb joint is made up of two modified pieces: the base is a cut and sanded and polished part of a 1 x 8 x 2 bar and the inserted piece is a cut and sanded lance base:2486.png 3849.pngLihkan... interesting idea. I don't think it was a helmet, but more of a headdress/hood type thing. But it would be neat. My only problem is that he is dead, and never coming back, thus has little use in my collection...Thanks to Ehlekdude and fameman as well!a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

These days I've mostly been just a lurker on the site, but sweet mother of Karzahni in a gravy boat that is one awesome Toa design. NEED BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS. NOW.(although the proportions do seem a bit wonky- namely, the shoulders look too wide and the lower legs too short. Still, minor gripes for a glorious MoC!)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Man, this is awesome. The customization on the limbs and torso really stand out, and I like the little details on the feet and such. The custom mask is good too.I like what you've changed on the glider, but it just looks a tad too much like the old one for my tastes.All in all, a steller MOC.-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

10/10 bajeebus that is alot of detail, i would like to say that i for one would like pictures of the back for skeleton purposes if nothing else lol

my_card.jpg

credit to Bonesiii for the av,

credit to xecha for the template for the card, but I did all the work on it, thank you very much!

credit to taka nuvia (or her current name) for the original skullbud .2 file of which i edited,

to make the thing you see in my sign-off, if/when i use them

I am the who when you ask; "Who's there?" I am the wind blowing through your hair

I am the shadow on the moon at night, Filling your dreams to the brim with fright

I am The Darkness underneath your bed, I am the thoughts inside your head

Who Am I, You Ask? I Am One Of Many, And Many Are The _G.R.I.D_

WE ARE _G.R.I.D_ AND OUR TIME HAS COME

This needs to be featured on the homepage. It is simply fantastic. It has the classic toa look but it's much more detailed and evenly armored. The weapon modifications are perfect, that Ignika mask is glorious and the color scheme is superbly balanced. How is the articulation in the waist? Does it function normally or do the additional parts interfere? Overall this is great and I look forward to more of your creations.

halo-reach-review-top.jpg

Thanks all! Atarius: the waist has about the mobility of the human waist. Thanks to being connected with ball joints, the "pistons" rotate in accordance with the waist guard. So he can't rotate 360 degrees like before, but he can twist.Here is a gallery with my breakdown of the Nuva torso (along with some other stuff I've been making).a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing. You managed to make all parts of the MOC look good, even the minimal amount of keetorange, while it might need more, it still looks good. The damaged Ignika is fantastic. The waist, torso and overall build are good, I like how you incorporated the heartlight, and the eye colour is perfect.

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

PBZPs in the Archives: A B C C F H K L N P P S T
New Forums PBZPs: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T T U V W X Y Z

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!

:OMG: Epic MOC dude, i love how you moderator the Ignika mask. The lower arms look great i seen Nikra did something like that before and the upper arms are great too i just love this MOC. The upper legs look amazing, i just like how you did with it and the lower legs look awesome same with the foot. The body is epic but i don't like people using the Toa Nuva shoulder as a chest armor i seen that way too much, but with this one is epic.I give this Toa Ignika a 9000 out of 10, because this MOC is that epic. :bowdown:

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Yeah, I went into this topic, saw the moc, and was like "Haven't I seen this before?..." :PLove the compact design. He looks streamlined and well-armored. He's dynamically poseable as well (that waist is an amazing technical feat). The colors flow well too. My only critiques are that his legs are too short, and that the airboard looks diminutive under this newly revamped Toa of Life. But overall, excellent work!

Edited by Mr. Fluffy

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! Onewa7, do you mean in comparison to the System yellow or just in general? ShadowWolfHount, I'd like to see the Nikra design to which you are referring. Mr. Fluffy, I agree. I am making the legs just a bit longer to aid with articulation as well as proportions. And yeah, the glider should be way bigger.a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, that's not fair. Every time I hit my workbench and build an MOC I feel fairly proud of, there's always one on this site that makes me want to just quit the hobby. This time it's yours.In all seriousness though, the body is all really well-designed, but I think the waist construction is the real star of the show. That, and how you've managed to bulk up the Ignika with armour but without sacrificing the distinct "canister-size" of the figure.And even though it's a tiny little detail, I love your use of the trans-light blue elements on his chest, and the gun of the glider. It really contrasts with the main colours, but without distracting.Everything blends so well it's ridiculous. And that's not even getting into your work on the mask itself. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...