RPG Forum Contest 25

Black Six

RPG Forum Text-Based RPG Contest 25The theme is back! When we previously did themes we had a pattern we were following. I forgot where we left off with that and didn't feel like looking it up, so I decided to branch out and do something different.Subterranean Homesick Blues: All RPGs in this contest must take place underground. Maybe the world ended and people are hiding their for safety. Perhaps the objective is to make it to the surface to save the world. Or possibly all the characters are Onu-Koro Matoran and just like it there. Whatever the deal may be, make sure the characters stay where the sun don't shine.Any questions about the theme may be asked in this topic.Here's how these contests work:

• The contest will be run every three (3) months, or four (4) times a year.
  • All members are welcome to enter the contest.
    • Each member can only enter one (1) Text-based RPG entry.
    • The only exception to this is that BZPRPG and RPG Contest staff will not be permitted to make entries.

[*]There will be three winners selected in every contest.

• The winners will be the three RPGs with the most votes after one or more rounds of voting (depending on the number of entries).

[*]Whether or not a given RPG wins or not, it will be allowed to run in future contests, with the below conditions and restrictions.

• For and RPG that lost a contest, the creator must make an attempt to alter and improve their entry before entering it in the next contest.
    • If an RPG has won four (4) consecutive contests that it has entered, it can not enter the next four contests. It does not, however, have to be altered before being entered again after its break, although the creator can do so if they desire to.
      • Example: A RPG wins two contests in a row. It is not entered in the next contest. It is entered and wins the fourth and fifth contests. At this point it cannot be entered into the next four contests.

[*]Other restrictions as a result of other rules or administrative action may prevent a member from submitting an RPG.

[*]At the end of the three-month interval between contests, if an active RPG does not win again, it will be closed.

• If a former winner wins again at a later date, the creator of the RPG can choose to continue in the old topic where they left off or start over again in a new topic.

[*]If the creator or members of a winning RPG break the RPG forum rules, that RPG will be closed.

• The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.
    • The offending RPG will not be allowed to participate in the next contest.

[*]This system is designed to be more fair than the TBRPG approval process has been in the past, so absolutely no complaining.

TBRPG EntriesThe following is what determines a Text-Based RPG entry. The creator of each entry must provide at least:

• A brief introduction to the RPG.
    • A description of the setting, the time and place the events occur.
    • A history of what has happened leading up to the current situation.
    • The characters and creatures involved. Does this take place in the canonical Bionicle Universe, or is this your own island with its own heroes and villains?

[*]A description on how you plan to further to story.

• Does it follow the actual Bionicle story or take place in a setting of your own creation?
    • Is there an outline on where you plan for it go?
    • Will the players be allowed to choose the direction the story takes?
    • Is there an ultimate goal or quest, or is it merely a world for members to inhabit?

[*]Requirements for those wishing to participate in your RPG.

• Will members be taking the role of existing characters or characters you have created?
    • Can they make their own characters? If so, what sort of restrictions will be placed on them?
    • What sort of equipment, masks, stats, etc will members get when they begin?

[*]Rules determining how players will interact with the environment and other characters.

• How will the winner of battles be determined?
    • How will members buy and upgrade their equipment?
    • Will members level up? How will they gain experience?

The above information can be submitted however the creator prefers. It does not have to be delineated in this way, as long as it is all there.Contest ProceduresHow the contest is going to be run. Here is the format the contest will operate under:

• Members will have three weeks to draft and submit entries.
    • Entries will be posted in the Contest Submission thread. Any entries posted elsewhere or PMed will be disregarded.
    • At the end of this period, no further entries will be accepted.

[*]The entries will be grouped into as few polls as possible for the initial round of voting.[*]Each round of voting will last for two to three days (48-72 hours).[*]The format of subsequent rounds of voting will be determined depending on the number of entries.[*]The three entries with the most votes in the final round of voting will be declared the winners.

Any questions can be posted in the Contest Rules Thread or PMed to Contest Host Black Six.NOTE - All current TBRPGs must be submitted as entries if they wish to continue running.Entries can be SUBMITTED from now until 11:59 PM EDT on Saturday, September 22nd.You can review other entries and discuss the reviews in the Review Topic.

Hey. The topic is unlocked. Because the Contest began.Well, we've got us a theme again. Let's see what I can toss together with this theme. Underground. Woot!Obviously going to enter. Obviously. Let's hope for some great RPG's everybody!-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I think thatIf I find the timeI might just enter with a nice RPGThat people will likeAnd playAnd stuff.
So... Erm... Whatever happened to that one you had us all working on and just kind of ditched?
I've been trying to get some work in on it on my own time, but haven't really been able to do much. Too much stuff popping up.Plan for that one to come in another contest, though. Preferably the one after this one because I don't want to exert any M.U. Underground-status loopholes.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I think I'm going to enter, maybe have traces of horror in it. Then again it's really hard to make text, especially in a RPG scary. Well, I'm going to try it anyway.This will be an interesting contest to say the least.
You could try for a psychological horror. Harder to pull off, but effective.On the other hand, you could use eldriych abominations. They're helpful.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I think I'm going to enter, maybe have traces of horror in it. Then again it's really hard to make text, especially in a RPG scary. Well, I'm going to try it anyway.This will be an interesting contest to say the least.
You could try for a psychological horror. Harder to pull off, but effective.On the other hand, you could use eldriych abominations. They're helpful.
This thought of a horror game while running through dark tunnels, almost no light, who-knows-what coming after you...Yeah, makes me think of a Dead Space-esque RPG. which would be cool if pulled off right, but meh.Also: Eldritch. With a T. :P

profiles i guess

The difficult with horror games is that players generally do know what is happening, and for whatever reason, the fact that they're controlling their character makes it less scary than watching another character that you've grown at least somewhat attached to in a movie doing what they're doing. The lack of visuals and sound effects doesn't help.Whatever happens, if you want to do horror and make it somewhat scary, you can't really let the player know anything about the monsters, very little about where they are, and so on. And randomly killing off characters doesn't really do anything, it just means nobody will want to enter their favorite characters or work as hard on a Biography. There has to be the threat that bad things can happen, and anyone who ignores it will suffer.That's my thoughts, anyways.@ Vorex; Obviously the ship is really, really pointy, and goes through the ground like a knife through butter and into tunnels. Duh. Even if I don't think that makes much sense...@ Hubert; You should. You've been on long enough. It is your destiny.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Karz! I guess my conquest-based grand warfare RPG will have to wait for now.I guess I can adapt another idea to the theme, then.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Not entering. I'm pretty sure my idea wouldn't work as well underground. A gigantic subterranean sea just sounds...Implausible. And kinda stretching it.Good luck.
One could argue that much of Bionicle took place underground in an ocean, if you consider the inside of a giant robot underground. ;)
Aaaand there's that loophole thing I mentioned.

profiles i guess

@ Vorex; Obviously the ship is really, really pointy, and goes through the ground like a knife through butter and into tunnels. Duh. Even if I don't think that makes much sense...
Nah, I've decided to go down the route of creating a prequel. So, it'll be set on SM, but it'll be an underground holiday place, with AI characters, and the aliens from the original FE, except they're not aliens. And no-one can get back because the entrance caved in because of the not-aliens. Yeah, that sounds good, I'll do that.- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Subterranean Homesick Blues: All RPGs in this contest must take place underground. Maybe the world ended and people are hiding their for safety. Perhaps the objective is to make it to the surface to save the world. Or possibly all the characters are Onu-Koro Matoran and just like it there. Whatever the deal may be, make sure the characters stay where the sun don't shine.Any questions about the theme may be asked in this topic.
I have a question about this theme. Must the entire RPG take place underground, or can beings with the Subterranean Homesick Blues be central to the plot and the major locations be underground, but still have some characters and action taking place on the surface?Thanks.

ppg2.png

Subterranean Homesick Blues: All RPGs in this contest must take place underground. Maybe the world ended and people are hiding their for safety. Perhaps the objective is to make it to the surface to save the world. Or possibly all the characters are Onu-Koro Matoran and just like it there. Whatever the deal may be, make sure the characters stay where the sun don't shine.Any questions about the theme may be asked in this topic.
I have a question about this theme. Must the entire RPG take place underground, or can beings with the Subterranean Homesick Blues be central to the plot and the major locations be underground, but still have some characters and action taking place on the surface?Thanks.
Yes, the entire RPG must be below ground.

Well, I'm done with the backstory and stuff. My map is ready, and my locations are underway. Then there's a bunch of the morality meter stuff to finish, and character rules. Then it'll be ready.Also: Nobody is going to say it, but they're all thinking it - "I hope everybody else takes longer so my RPG can be the first on there." Yeah. You're all thinking about it.@ Hubert; Long enough. Let's see some Hubertus Maximus RPGimus.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

So... Erm... Whatever happened to that one you had us all working on and just kind of ditched?
It'll be next contest, I guess. This one just isn't possible for this contest.Which, speaking of; also rules out Aloft Season 2. Sorry guys. =PBut, let's make this last month awesome there. Might try and figure out something, but things are getting hectic right now, so I might need the three month break. ^^; At least I can end it on my cliffhanger, though! =D

Very happy to see a theme again.I'm edgy about entering this contest, honestly. Currently, I have an RPG idea that I very much like, and which could be easily adapted to the underground. With some furnishing and polishing, I think it could turn out to be a workable RpG, unlike SftS. The problem? I have neither the time nor energy to be the head GM RPG; I would need people to help me, or at least one person with reasonable GMing skills to serve as head Gm or an active co-GM. In short, I have an RPG idea which I like and want to see as an RPG, but don't have the time, skill or energy to effectively run it; therefore I need someone to comake and run it. If anyone is interested, let me know.