Lesovikk's Hiatus Contest

lesovikk_hiatus.png(KanohiJournal's website is now offline.)NOTICE: The entry period is over. The final date of the entry period was 12:00 PM EST on May 10. There will be no more postponements.Also, I NEED JUDGES TO VOLUNTEER.(Please note that the header image is out of date. Also, due to coding troubles, this post may lack quotation marks and / or apostrophes; if you notice any missing, please notify me.)* * *

Welcome to KanohiJournal Publications Lesovikk's Hiatus Contest! This is a fanon writing contest that focuses on Lesovikk's self-imposed exile till 45,000 years after the deaths of his teammates. Read below for more information.AboutThe Lesovikk's Hiatus contest encompasses Lesovikk's adventures from 100,000 to 55,000 years B.T.R. (Before Teridax's Reign), after the rest of his Toa team was killed by Zyglak. Entrants are invited to write stories based on Lesovikks adventures within a portion of this period of time and are welcome to utilize existing plot elements or create their own.While Lesovikk's Hiatus was originally planned to be a canon contest, Mr. Greg Farshtey's absence would make it impossible to approve the winning entries. To conclude this contest, KanohiJournal Publications decided to make it canon-complying fanon (or canon-fit).The entry / editing period starts as of this topic's posting and will remain open till late April or early May (see the notice above).This contest was approved for hosting in BZPower's Storyline & Theories forum by Bonesiii. Legolover-361 is host, and Tyler Durden is assistant host.Polling and JudgingAfter the entry / editing period closes, a round of judging will occur. The entries that are cleared for the final round will be placed into polls, and the rest of the contest will be polled; BZPower members and judges from the previous round will be allowed to vote in the polls.If you would like to be a judge for the Short Story category, Novella category, or both, please contact Legolover-361 either via PM on BZPower or e-mailing matanuiinc@gmail.com with the subject Lesovikk's Hiatus Judging Application.PrizeThe winning entries will be made into an anthology that will be released by KanohiJournal Publications. As a bonus, you receive bragging rights. (Also, if Mr. Greg Farshtey returns, the winning entries could possibly be considered for canon; however, neither Mr. Farshtey's return nor his ability to review entries are guaranteed.)RulesYou are allowed to submit:
  • [*]Up to
three (3) short stories (individual, disconnected narratives) from 500 to 5,000 words, OR[*]One (1) novelette (a continuous story) from 5,001 to 15,000 words with chapter breaks where appropriate.[*]Any signs of continuity in your short story entries will cause your entry to be regarded as a novelette.[*]Punctuation (dashes, elipses, etc.) and section breaks (asterisks or other symbols used to separate sections of a narrative) do NOT add to your word count.

The word limits given are the LOWER and UPPER bounds for your entries. A short story with exactly 500 words will be accepted; a short story with 499 will not.Restrictions on your entries are as follows:

• [*]The story must be about Lesovikk's journeys during his hiatus, between the time immediately after his team was killed and 55,000 B.T.R.[*]The story must not be about Lesovikk travelling to Mahri Nui. That event occurs long after this contest's time period.[*]You are allowed to introduce new characters in your story, but they should be kept to a minimum; remember that this contest is about Lesovikk.[*]You are allowed to name characters. However, bear in mind that if Mr. Farshtey returns and your story is approved as canon, names will not be included in the approval.[*]You may attribute new characters to the Order of Mata Nui. However, they must be utilized in your story in such a fashion that they do not in any way allow Lesovikk to know of the Order's existence.[*]Please use common sense when writing about powers. Entries with over-powered characters will likely be rejected.[*]Masks of Life, Creation, Time and Light must not be used.[*]The Mask of Dimensional Gates (Olmak) can only be used if Brutaka or the Toa from Jovan's team who once had the mask is featured in the story.[*]The Mask of Shadows can only be possessed by Makuta Teridax in the story.[*]Immoral masks cannot be used by Toa.[*]You cannot introduce new masks.[*]You cannot resolve existing storyline details or explain heretofore unexplained canon material.[*]Legendary powers cannot be used by any characters. The element of Light can only be utilized by Av-Matoran if they are utilized. The powers of Light and Shadow may be utilized by characters who wield them.[*]You cannot introduce new elements and / or powers.[*]You must follow the entry process below.

Entry ProcessThere are two methods of entry:

• [*]
Submit via e-mail: Send your entry or entries to matanuiinc@gmail.com and they will be placed on KanohiJournal Publications' website. To revise, please send your revisions to the same e-mail address.[*]Submit via BZPower: Post your entry in BZPower's Short Stories or Epics forum (short stories in the short story forum, multi-chapter stories in the Epics forum) and link to your entry in this topic using the following form:Username: [what you want to be called]Entry: [title of and link to your story go here]Grammatical and wording revisions are allowed without notification; for any other edits, you must notify Legolover-361 or Tyler Durden via BZPower PM. When in doubt, please notify a contest host.

You are allowed to use both methods, but bear in mind that it is your responsibility to ensure both versions of your entry are kept up-to-date.

• [*]
Do NOT send your entries to Mr. Greg Farshtey for him to check and approve. Ask friends / judges / contest hosts instead. If you are unsure whether your entry or parts of it conform with canon or have storyline-related questions, post your questions and concerns in this topic. We highly recommend checking BioSector01 before asking any questions.[*]Contest assistants will check over your entry primarily for storyline problems. They will approve or reject your entry only based on how well it fits Bionicle's canon; proofreading and quality-checking your entry is not a priority for judges. Please ask friends for constructive criticism instead.

Background Storyline InformationPlease read this section thoroughly alongside the rules.Information on Lesovikk's Hiatus

• [*]Lesovikk met Jovan sometime during his travels, and Jovan coached Lesovikk on fighting styles and ideas before Lesovikk continued his travels.[*]Lesovikk fought the Rahi Nui at some point of his travels.[*]He freed an island infested with Visorak during this time.[*]At some point of his hiatus, Lesovikk explored some of the northernmost southern islands (south of the Southern Continent, in Mata Nui's southern torso and upper legs).[*]Lesovikk also fought a wounded Rock Lion at some point of his travels, but was defeated after a long and difficult battle.

Please note that only two of the above events can be used per person (not per entry). If you need additional plot, you are free to create your own so long as it subscribes to canon.Faction Formation Dates

• [*]The Hand of Artakha was disbanded during the same time period Lesovikk's team was killed. As any overlaps in time periods are negligible or non-existent, you may not use the Hand of Artakha in your entry.[*]The Order of Mata Nui was formed shortly after the disbanding of the Hand of Artakha. The Order did not spread across the Matoran Universe till about 79,100 years B.T.R. Please see the rules for restrictions on the Order of Mata Nui.[*]The Brotherhood of Makuta was formed around the same time as the Order of Mata Nui, and was led by Miserix until Teridax overthrew him at around 79,100 years B.T.R. and began enacting his Plan. There is no clear period of time when the Brotherhood began to be viewed as evil; thus, if you choose to utilize the Brotherhood in your entry, we strongly recommend you avoid portraying the Brotherhood as evil.[*]The League of Six Kingdoms was formed 94,000 years B.T.R. They were captured and sent to the Pit about 80,000 years B.T.R.[*]The Dark Hunters were formed between 80,000 and 70,000 years B.T.R. Please be sure to check up on which Dark Hunters were active between 80,000 and 55,000 years ago before utilizing them in your story. If in doubt, the best option would be to avoid using that particular Dark Hunter.[*]Toa teams formed at various times throughout the Matoran Universe's history. If you are planning to use a Toa in your entry, ensure whether the Toa acted individually or in a team during your entry's time period, or if the Toa was still a Matoran.[*]Keep in mind that Lesovikk's hiatus is a self-imposed punishment till Lesovikk believes he has earned retribution. During this hiatus, Lesovikk refuses to call himself a Toa because he believes he is unworthy.

Got all that? Then start writing.

* * *plastlogo225px.pngkjlogo.png

Edited by Legolover-361

I probably won't join this contest (looking forward to seeing even a semi-official new addition to the story though), but I'm curious: what is B.T.R?

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I probably won't join this contest (looking forward to seeing even a semi-official new addition to the story though), but I'm curious: what is B.T.R?
From the start of the topic:
B.T.R. (Before Teridax's Reign)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Oops. Sorry, should have read it more carefully. But I'm used to BGC/AGC (Before/After Great Catacylsm) for dates, so I was kind of thrown off by that.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

• 2 weeks later...

From the first post:

• [*]You are allowed to introduce new characters in your story, but they should be kept to a minimum; remember that this contest is about Lesovikk.[*]You are allowed to name characters. However, bear in mind that if Mr. Farshtey returns and your story is approved as canon, names will not be included in the approval.[*]You may attribute new characters to the Order of Mata Nui. However, they must be utilized in your story in such a fashion that they do not in any way allow Lesovikk to know of the Order's existence.

In a nutshell, you are definitely allowed to create new characters and have Lesovikk meet them as long as the focus of the story remains on Lesovikk, just as you asked. Edited by Legolover-361

From the first post:
  • You are allowed to introduce new characters in your story, but they should be kept to a minimum; remember that this contest is about Lesovikk.
  • You are allowed to name characters. However, bear in mind that if Mr. Farshtey returns and your story is approved as canon, names will not be included in the approval.
  • You may attribute new characters to the Order of Mata Nui. However, they must be utilized in your story in such a fashion that they do not in any way allow Lesovikk to know of the Order's existence.

In a nutshell, you are definitely allowed create new characters and have Lesovikk meet them as long as the focus of the story remains on Lesovikk, just as you asked.
ok, but I noticed the thing with the names, does that mean if it is approved, there will be a 100% chance that the name wont be approved? or is there a 1% chance it will be approved?

Need a voice over done? PM me or reach me at mikolajdudek@gmail.com!

ikg4k.gif

toa jalokim, Greg does not have legal authority at all to approve names. He would have to put them through the legal process LEGO uses for all names now, and previous requests for that were turned down for that reason.(Of course, an actual percentage question cannot be answered; pet peeve of mine -- how could it be calculated? :P But realistically, it's not gonna happen.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't believe Mr. Farshtey has returned; I only know Erebus has been in contact with him. If he returns to BZPower, I will try to contact him about canonizing winning entries, but for now we will continue running this contest as fanon and maybe contact Mr. Farshtey after the contest is over and winners have been decided.

I have a question in regards to the rule "You cannot resolve existing storyline details or explain heretofore unexplained canon material"I was thinking of doing one of my stories on the Rahi Nui but can I explain how it lost its Kanoka powers or is that a storyline detail that I cant resolve.I just read the Biosector01 page on the Rahi Nui and it is mentioned that Lesovikk was the first Toa to encounter it.So my post above does not need to be replied to.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I actually would not mind a delay at all :). I just started writing my story yesterday. I already have one chapter almost done, but I still have over 5 more planned chapters to do and seeing how there is only one week left a delay would be most appreciated. It does not have to be a delay of more that a week (actually just a week would work great for me), but a delay would be most helpful :)Edit: Maybe more like two weeks would work better for me now that I think about it.

Edited by Pikiru

Wow, that's a long extension. Should be just enough time to procrastinate, I mean finish it. :PI know I always make that joke.So, I was wondering, can we start the story with the end of the battle that killed his Toa Team?By the way, I'm doing the Lion, you know, since I MOC'd it. :P

Is it all right if I have the beginning and ending (and some middle parts) happen in the present. I'm thinking of trying to tie this in loosely with the events of The Powers That Be.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Yay yay yay, it's been extended! Hopefully I won't procrastinate on this too much. Gah, I probably will...all these problems will be solved once I get around to building myself a time machine.I suppose I should get planning, and thanks for the extension!=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

So, I was wondering, can we start the story with the end of the battle that killed his Toa Team?
Sure.
Is it all right if I have the beginning and ending (and some middle parts) happen in the present. I'm thinking of trying to tie this in loosely with the events of The Powers That Be.
As long as you don't copy anything from The Powers That Be or answer some unanswered storyline question in that story serial, you're fine.
...all these problems will be solved once I get around to building myself a time machine.
Please let me know if you ever build one. I may need to borrow it. :P

• 1 month later...

So, just to reiterate, we can include the names of new bionicle characters, but if the entry is canonized, the names WON'T be canonized, am I right? I need to know this in order to finish my entry. alrighty, Ive gotten an epic story idea, and my entry is coming along smoothly.

ikg4k.gif

• 3 weeks later...
So, just to reiterate, we can include the names of new bionicle characters, but if the entry is canonized, the names WON'T be canonized, am I right?

I think so.

The names might be considered, but I don't know for sure. Its probably best to assume that the names wont be canonized, because thats the most likely outcome.

Hope this helps :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Click" data-cid="492624" data-time="1358478623"><p>Wow, this is due in just two weeks. I really need to finish my entry. I'm about halfway.<br /> <br />Who else is working on an entry, by the way?</p></blockquote>I am. I'm about 67% done.

ikg4k.gif

So, just to reiterate, we can include the names of new bionicle characters, but if the entry is canonized, the names WON'T be canonized, am I right?

I think so. The names might be considered, but I don't know for sure. Its probably best to assume that the names wont be canonized, because thats the most likely outcome. Hope this helps :)
This is correct. It's highly doubtful any names will be canonized, so it's best to assume they won't be. There's also a serious chance the stories themselves won't be considered for canon if Mr. Farshtey isn't able to look them over (rules, too busy with other projects, etc.).