legostuck_logo.gif

Yo.So, this is a project I've been toying with for a while now. That is, making actual minifigs and cool model's based on Andrew Hussie's Homestuck. I've seen it done by other people too but I guess what the aim here is a more professional grade rendition of this fantastic storyline.I've made up decals for darn near every single one of the 8 human players and 12 troll players, with the pre-Scratch trolls on their way as soon as they're seen in-story rendered in a symbolic manner (( That hasn't stopped me from toying around with some designs, though )).Before you ask, yes, most of the physical production hasn't occured yet; most is still in design stage. Decals are done, fabric elements are in the works, and custom hair pieces (!) are also in the works.Per rules of posting in the LEGO-Based Creations forum, I do have some photos of physical minifigures that I've produced. The three that've been made are merely prototypes and will see much-needed updates/upgrades in the future.

Doc Scratch

legodocscratch.jpg

The first of the LEGOStuck minifigs, he's actually not in my possession anymore. He was the prize in a giveaway I did on a popular blogging website.

Dave Strider

tumblr_lx71ed5gic1qgz3yto1_500.jpg

The second of LEGOStuck minifigs, he is also not in my possession, but is being kept by my girlfriend. She has him in the pocket of one of her hoodies and likes to carry him around everywhere. Kinda sweet, really.

Dirk Strider

dirk_strider_prototype.jpg

The most recent of the LEGOStuck minifigs and longest to complete. He is the only minifig still in my possession and he may or may not stay that way, at least until his upgraded form is made. And yes, I am aware of the random Dirk sprite in the photo; I forgot to save a sprite-less copy, oops. At least you get a comparision picture.Now; on to business!As far as new, upgraded minifigs go, the main difference we'll see is more variation in the figs. Dave and Dirk will cease to only have black legs; Dave will have his red and white Converse, while Dirk will have his gray and white Vans. Dirk will have short sleeves, Dave will have long sleeves.The key to this is a different type of decal paper than what I've been using; as of now, I've been using Papillio Waterslide Decal Paper Clear. As the name suggests, the decal paper applies on clear, while the design stays. This is good for applying dark decals to lighter bricks (( such as black facial features on a Light Flesh minifig head)), but is not ideal for lighter decals to darker bricks. That is why, recently, I purchased Pipillio Waterslide Decal Paper White. Again, as the name suggests, this applies white instead of clear.The difficulty in using the white, however, is that the RGB for a specific LEGO color must be matched exactly or the seam will be more visible depending on how different the tone is. I still need to throw some color swatches in a PNG and print it to color test against a brick but I haven't really had time to yet. :White and black are easy; #FFFFFF and #000000, respectively. No real deviation there. everything inbetween will be trickier.Below are some of the decals that I've designed thus far:

[ 9/7/2012; 11:34am: Reformated the topic; added links to all characters. ][ 9/5/2012; 8:17pm: All four BETA kids' outfits linked in the topic. ][ 9/5/2012; 4:50am: John's outfits linked to the topic; all four BETA kids have had header images added. ][ 9/5/2012; 3:44am: Uploading all source files to Majhost; please wait... ]

1.pngJohn Egbert

1.pngRose Lalonde

1.pngDave Strider

1.pngJade Harley

Normal [T]Iron Lass Suit [T]Dress of Eclectica [T]Dead Shuffle Dress [T]Three in the Morning Dress [T]Jadesprite [T]Prospit PJ's [T]Witch of Space [T]

1.pngJane Crocker

Normal [T]Normal - Tiaratop [T]Prospit PJ's [T]TheoreticalMaid of Life [T]Theoretical

1.pngRoxy Lalonde

1.pngDirk Strider

Normal [T]Wifebeater [T]Derse PJ's [T]TheoreticalPrince of Heart [T]Theoretical

1.pngJake English

1.pngAradia Megido

1.pngTavros Nitram

1.pngSollux Captor

1.pngKarkat Vantas

1.pngNepeta Leijon

1.pngKanaya Maryam

Normal [T]Normal (Rainbow Drinker) [T]Normal (Rainbow Drinker) - Wounded [T]Red Outfit [T]Red Outfit (Rainbow Drinker) [T]Blue Outfit [T]Green Outfit [T]Pink Outfit [T]Black & White Outfit [T]Prospit PJ's [T]TheoreticalSylph of Space [T]TheoreticalTheoreticalSylph of Space (Rainbow Drinker) [T]Theoretical

1.pngTerezi Pyrope

1.pngVriska Serket

1.pngEquius Zahhak

Normal [T]Derse PJ's [T]TheoreticalHeir of Void [T]Theoretical

1.pngGamzee Makara

1.pngEridan Ampora

1.pngFeferi Peixes

Damara Megido

Normal - Dead[T]Witch of Time [T]

?????? Nitram

Normal - Dead [T]Rogue of Breath [T]

Mituna Captor

Normal - Dead [T]Heir of Doom [T]

Kankri Vantas

Normal - Dead [T]Seer of Blood [T]

Meulin Leijon

Normal - Dead [T]Mage of Heart [T]

Porrim Maryam

Normal - Dead [T]Maid of Space [T]

Latula Pyrope

Normal - Dead [T]Knight of Mind [T]

1.pngAranea Serket

?????? Zahhak

Normal - Dead [T]Page of Void [T]

Kurloz Makara

Normal - Dead [T]Prince of Rage [T]

Cronus Ampora

Normal - Dead [T]Bard of Hope [T]

1.pngMeenah Peixes

Normal - Dead [T]TheoreticalThief of Life - Dead [T]Theoretical

1.pngCalliope

1.pngCaliborn

Anyway, I would love to hear your feedback for the project, as well as any comments or questions you have relating to it? :)
~
Kohila
Edited by Dirk Strider
removed link to site with forums and arguably inapropro content (though i mean come on, who cares)

zT0o5WQ.pngKohila zVZHXI3.pngKohilaice vHGufqp.pngKohi#0612

vasterror_splash.png

Great idea, I'll be eager to see where it goes. I really like the Dirk minifig, it looks just like him. :PWill you be building Jack or Lord English at any point? I would imagine that they would have to be at least partially brickbuilt...

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Great idea, I'll be eager to see where it goes. I really like the Dirk minifig, it looks just like him. :PWill you be building Jack or Lord English at any point? I would imagine that they would have to be at least partially brickbuilt...
I'm really glad that you like the Dirk minifig! :)As for Jack Noir and Lord English...I haven't decided how I'm going to do carapaces yet, but...Lord English is indeed a minifig that I've conceptualized and planned for. ;) Edited by Dirk Strider

vasterror_splash.png

I don't post on this site all that much these days, but after I saw how few replies this topic has received I had to post. It's a crime really. So much good work has gone into this project.The kid minifigs you have done look great so far. Better than basically every other HS minifig I've seen. Adding the shoes to the boys is gonna be rad as heck. Truly can't wait to see how that turns out. I'm envious of how you have a minifig of my fav character. :PDoc, in my humble opinion, does not transfer as well to the Lego format. If you look at both Hussie's sprite and your minifig you did a bloody good job. The problem is how Doc himself is so basic.As for the rest of the decals...wow...nice work. Any idea which figs you're going to make first?This is a really cool project. Keep up the good work.

silverbladebanner.jpg

I don't post on this site all that much these days, but after I saw how few replies this topic has received I had to post. It's a crime really. So much good work has gone into this project.The kid minifigs you have done look great so far. Better than basically every other HS minifig I've seen. Adding the shoes to the boys is gonna be rad as heck. Truly can't wait to see how that turns out. I'm envious of how you have a minifig of my fav character. :PDoc, in my humble opinion, does not transfer as well to the Lego format. If you look at both Hussie's sprite and your minifig you did a bloody good job. The problem is how Doc himself is so basic.As for the rest of the decals...wow...nice work. Any idea which figs you're going to make first?This is a really cool project. Keep up the good work.
Ahhahaha I'm really glad you appreciate the amount of work that went into it! :DAnd yeah, I wasn't too acceptant of the way Doc Scratch turned out. The two main issues are 1. I used a slightly modded stock decal, and 2. his head is difficult.Originally, I drilled a hole in a silver Zamor Sphere and painted it white, but the paint chipped and also the Zamor Sphere was too large anyway so I scrapped the idea and moved on. :)As for the first minifig that will be created using the new decals, that's up to my Rendering Team. Thankfully, one of the members has started on Kanaya's hairpiece and I assure you, it's looking really good so far. ;) Edited by Dirk Strider

vasterror_splash.png

• 2 weeks later...
As for the first minifig that will be created using the new decals, that's up to my Rendering Team. Thankfully, one of the members has started on Kanaya's hairpiece and I assure you, it's looking really good so far. ;)
Wow, it really is. That's great. :DJust a thought, Dirk's hair sort of sweeps backwards, while the minifig hair piece you used points forwards. As I don't have one of that piece to test the appearance, I'm just wondering, how does it look while facing backwards?

but their spirits

• 2 weeks later...
As for the first minifig that will be created using the new decals, that's up to my Rendering Team. Thankfully, one of the members has started on Kanaya's hairpiece and I assure you, it's looking really good so far. ;)
Wow, it really is. That's great. :DJust a thought, Dirk's hair sort of sweeps backwards, while the minifig hair piece you used points forwards. As I don't have one of that piece to test the appearance, I'm just wondering, how does it look while facing backwards?
The piece used for Dirk right now swoops forward, unfortunately. Hopefully, the new mold we're developing will look canonical. :)
This looks interesting. I look forward to seeing where this goes...Do you plan on doing actual MoCs of the Sburb machines and the medium planets?
I've made an Alchemiter in LDraw and it looks really nice. More phernalia incoming. As for planets, I actually discussed that idea with Aho-Chan on Skype about that. They could be like the Star Wars sets coming out. But that's a bridge I'll cross later. :/

vasterror_splash.png

I've made an Alchemiter in LDraw and it looks really nice. More phernalia incoming.As for planets, I actually discussed that idea with Aho-Chan on Skype about that. They could be like the Star Wars sets coming out. But that's a bridge I'll cross later. :/
That sounds awesome! I hadn't actually thought of that, but It would be pretty cool. Maybe you could include a consort with each one?

I've made an Alchemiter in LDraw and it looks really nice. More phernalia incoming.As for planets, I actually discussed that idea with Aho-Chan on Skype about that. They could be like the Star Wars sets coming out. But that's a bridge I'll cross later. :/
That sounds awesome! I hadn't actually thought of that, but It would be pretty cool. Maybe you could include a consort with each one?
Depends on what the mini model ends up being. Of course, this is all theoretical, as making actual planet sets would be pretty strenuous to make. :/

vasterror_splash.png

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, it really is. That's great. :biggrin:Just a thought, Dirk's hair sort of sweeps backwards, while the minifig hair piece you used points forwards. As I don't have one of that piece to test the appearance, I'm just wondering, how does it look while facing backwards?
The piece used for Dirk right now swoops forward, unfortunately. Hopefully, the new mold we're developing will look canonical. :)
Actually I meant, how would it look if Dirk's forwards-sloping hair piece was turned backwards? Would it look more like Dirk, or just look incredibly silly?

but their spirits