Simple and Clean

Two figures stood on the beach. Two figures, one's hand gently ensonced within the other's. The waves lapped the ankles above their buried feet. The full moon shone down on the scene from above, imbuing the sea with silver.The shorter one turned to her companion, her pale blue armor shimmering in the moonglow. Her own gave off a mild, intoxicating luminescence. A smile crept across her mask; like a constellation spread across the sky."It's been a beautiful night." She gave his hand a squeeze. "Thank you."

When you walk away

You don't hear me say

She retrieved her feet from the sand, let go of the Le-Matoran, and turned to walk away. But he touched her shoulder."When we see-meet again?""I--I don't know." She laughed a little. "I guess you'll just have to wait and see, won't you?"

"Please, oh baby, don't go"

He watched as her gracile figure moved so smoothly across the sand it seemed to glide; he watched the light dancing on her armor; he watched her mount the dune, and turn; he watched the glow in her eyes as she waved; and he watched her vanish over the hill.Suddenly the night seemed much darker. The stars no longer sparkled with the same charm. The moon was duller. The sound of the sea became an insufferable drone.He turned and walked away.

Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight

It's hard to let it go

~ * ~

Le-Wahi was an inelegant, insipid tangle of weeds. The trees among which free spirits flew, swung or brakiated were the bars of a cage that kept him from Ga-Koro.The only wings of freedom that carried his spirit away from this dismal prison were the snatches of paper that bestrewed the desk. He glanced through them; "How are you doing?" "I miss you," "." These banal phrases had a palliative effect upon him. Yet it was the feelings behind the words he wanted more than the words themselves.In frustration, he swept a hand across the table, scattering the letters. He didn't want paper.

You're giving me too many things lately

You're all I need

He wanted to be with her. He wanted to see her again. Her words may have been as beautiful as she was, they may have contained her effervescent tone; but he didn't want her paper.

You smiled at me and said

"Don't get me wrong I love you,

But does that mean I have to meet your father?"

In his last letter he had invited her to Le-Koro, but she was hesitant. She had never been there before. She had no idea what it was like. And looking around him, he wondered: Why would anyone want to come here?The only reason he had invited her was to see her. But he didn't care where he saw her, he just wanted to see her. So he picked up a fresh sheet of paper and began writing.

~ * ~

When we are older you'll understand

What I meant when I said, "No,

I don't think life is quite that simple."

"I need see-meet you again ever-bad."

The words began to blur before her eyes as she read the letter over again. She smiled wonderingly to herself. How were six short words such poetry? The careful selection, the rhythmic blending, the dialect she found so tasteful, all permeated by the poignant meaning; how was it contained all within one short sentence?

When you walk away

You don't hear me say,

She envisioned him, leaning over a table, scribbling down the words she saw before her. And the tears flowed more freely for the knowledge that she would have to envision a little longer.

It's hard to let it go

She folded the new letter and clutched it her chest, wishing she could have written something else. But she knew he would understand.And yet, it was a smile on her face. The mere thought of him . . .

~ * ~

The daily things that keep us all busy

Are confusing me

He withdrew his hand from a Kewa that tried to snatch it up along with the feed. He took up another handful and flung it at the creature with distaste.After the last of the beasts had been fed, after they had all been groomed, after all their nests had been freshened, he at last took his leave of the eyrie and went home.At his door he found a letter waiting for him. With excitement he took it inside and opened it.

That's when you came to me and said,

"Wish I could prove I love you

But does that mean I have to walk on water?"

He tore it up in frustration. It took extra effort to tear it into fragments small enough to sever the message itself:

"Ever-soon."

He fell on his bed, head clutched in his hands. He wanted to find some magical way to fly to her right then and there. He wanted to part all the trees and the mountains so that he could at least gaze upon her from a distance.Instead, he wrote another letter.

"How I make more ever-soon?"

~ * ~

When we are older you'll understand

It's enough when I say so

With a thrill she held his latest letter in her hands, savoring each word as if it had come from his own lips, as if she had heard it carried on the air by his own tenor.Laughing blithely, she sat down at the table, snatched paper and utensil, and wrote.

And maybe some things are that simple

"Tonight. Sundown."

When you walk away

You don't hear me say,

~ * ~

They met at the beach without a word. They didn't need to say anything. The messages that needed relating were on their Kanohi. Anything else would have spoiled it.

It's hard to let it go

Hand in hand they strolled along the shoreline, listening to the dulcet rhythm of the tide. They watched the sun turn the water golden, orange, red, pink, and finally leave it in a deep blue until the moon rose over their heads to bathe the world in silver.Her eyes on the sky, she didn't notice a seashell, and she stumbled. Her hand so tightly enmeshed with his pulled him down with her. Thus ridiculously entangled, they laughed, long and hard, until they lapsed into contented sighs.And there together they lay, counting the stars as they began to appear in the heavens. Even as the hours ebbed and the tide rose, they stayed, letting the water wash under and around them and then recede. When at last they rose, it was to wade deeper into the water, to stand there together and admire the sky.

Hold me, whatever lies beyond this morning

Is a little later on

It was not until the sun began to lend its light to the darkness that either of them spoke.It was the Ga-Matoran."I'm so sorry it had to be so long."The Le-Matoran squeezed her hand with a tender pressure. "Was worth ever-wait."

Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all

Nothing's like before

They were silent for some minutes longer. This time the Le-Matoran disrupted the quiet. Turning to her suddenly, he said:"I love you. Did you know?""Yes, I did." She rocked back and forth on her feet. "But you shouldn't have told me.""Why not?""Well--it was a sort of a secret, wasn't it?""But I wanted you know.""I did. But now the thrill of the mystery's gone.""Don't want a know-nothing mystery. I want you know--want you heart-know."She turned her Kanohi up into his and smiled charmingly. "And I'm glad."

When you walk away

You don't hear me say,

All too soon, it seemed to them, the sun appeared on the horizon behind them. They felt its warmth on their backs; a rough but loving hand."I've never had a night like this before," she whispered, suddenly putting her head against his chest. "Thank you."She made to pull away.

It's hard to let it go

The Le-Matoran stopped her."When I see-meet you again?"She shrugged her shoulders. "When I see you.""When that be?"

Hold me, whatever lies beyond this morning

Is a little later on

Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all

Her tinkling laughter lent its melody to the dawn. "Every moment of the day. . . ."

Nothing's like before

~ * The End * ~

I was actually listening to a different song and trying to make a songfic out of that when I wanted to do this song instead. Hope you enjoyed it. I don't think it's my best work, but I had what I can only refer to as a warm time writing it. As always, comments are much appreciated, especially any constructive criticism you may have to offer.And as a disclaimer, the song Simple and Clean was written and performed by Utada Hikaru, as the theme for Disney's Kingdom Hearts. (Great game, by the way; brilliant storyline.)

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?