Series 8 Minifigures Review (8/16)

Akano

So, today I visited my local LEGO Store to plunder the latest series of Minifigures, and I got some good ones. Let's review them, shall we?

Actor

actor.png_thumb.jpg actorback.png_thumb.jpg ruffles.png_thumb.jpgAlas, poor Yorick. I knew him...in America!

This was the last one I found in the mass of minifigs, so it's only natural I open my review with him. The Actor is wearing the finest of Shakespearean garments, and acts out Hamlet quite beautifully with his skull (not the one in his head, mind). The ruffles on his collar are a new mold, and if you're looking for the actor is fairly easy to feel. Also feel for the presence of two minifigure heads, as the skull will help tip you off to its presence.

(Red) Cheerleader

cheerleader.png_thumb.jpg clfront.png_thumb.jpg pompom.png_thumb.jpgSo And So! What's Her Face! The Ugly One!

This cheerleader is totally not a rehash of the blue cheerleader from Series 1. Not at all. For starters, she is red, not blue, and she has an "A" on her shirt, not an "M" (which earns brownie points in my book :P). Also, her hair is black, not blonde. No new molds here. Just feel for the pom poms if you want to add her to your collection.

Conquistador

conquistador.png_thumb.jpg conpieces.png_thumb.jpgI caught the fever!

The conquistador is very, very gold. Not golden, just gold. Though he doesn't offer any new molds, his spiffy gold helmet and breastplate will make any pirate fan happy, and he has a fencing sword for anyone who missed the musketeer or is too cheap to buy a Monster Fighters set with Rodney Rathbone.

Cowgirl

applejack.png_thumb.jpg ajback.png_thumb.jpg ajhat.png_thumb.jpgHowdy, pardner!

The Cowgirl is pretty cool. Her lasso piece was previously used for Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth and is now available in reddish brown. I also like her boots and hat, as they really add to her character. Her face just lets you know she's charming and polite around new folk, and she has a wonderful Southern accent. Feel for her hat (new mold!) and lasso, and she'll take care of all your ABS livestock.

DJ

dj.png_thumb.jpg djback.png_thumb.jpg djinteresting.png_thumb.jpgIn your home, or in your car, you are never really far from L-E-G-O radio! *ding dong*

The DJ is awesome. He has a hairpiece with headphones, and is carrying a album case and the record that goes with it. His minifig-head-shaped-equalizer-graph shirt is also pretty awesome. Who wouldn't want to listen to L-E-G-O radio when he's behind the mic? Feel for the album and record, they're not hard to miss.

Lederhosen Guy

lg.png_thumb.jpg lgfront.png_thumb.jpg pretzel.png_thumb.jpgYodel-lederhosen-hoo!

Lederhosen Guy is adorable. Just look at that smile; you know he's enjoying life so much more because of the sheer joy wearing lederhosen brings. He also loves pretzels (new mold!). Feel for the pretzel, and it will guide you to a world of happiness. A world of lederhosen.

Pirate Captain

pirate.png_thumb.jpg pirateplunder.png_thumb.jpgDrink up, me hearties, yo ho!

As if LEGO hasn't released enough pirates stuff (Pirates, Pirates II, and Pirates of the Caribbean) they decided to give us a bling'd out one. The Pirate minifig comes with gold hook, gold sword (that won't dent at all in combat) and a gold skull and crossbones on his hat. He and the Conquistador should become friends. Feel for the sabre, his legs, his hat, or his hook (I found his sabre first).

Santa

santa.png_thumb.jpg santashaved.png_thumb.jpg santapieces.png_thumb.jpgDown through the chimney with lots of toys, all for the little ones' LEGO joys!

We have yet another iteration of Santa in LEGO form that isn't Yoda (and this time with a much more apropos beard than the Merlin-style one). His hat is similar to, but different than, that of the Lawn Gnome from Series 4, and his bag of presents seems to be a new mold as well. You can also tell that under his beard is indeed a jolly old face, beaming at the joyful yuletide season.So, that's half of Series 8. There are still a couple more I want to get, so when I obtain those I will review them. Also, gallery when public.akanohi.png

Edited by Akano Toa of Electricity

Akano's Comics
BZP's resident "MOO" obsesser. My Blag.
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
We are the Order of Absolutely Crazy People. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

... I am so jealous of that lederhosen, you don't even know. What's more, the twist in the pretzel is accurate... Must... obtain... plastic baked good... (You have no idea how much I love that XD). Nice descriptions, though I wish I could see a side-shot of a few of these... (especially a close-up of the DJ's headpiece). Still, good review... I now have an urge to listen to "Brick by Brick" from Lego Island for some totally-not-related-to-this-review reason (I swear! D= )

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I'm not a rabid collector of the Minifigures (in fact, my entire collection was generously given to me by Kakaru at last Bricks Cascade), but I need that Lederhosen guy. That guy's smile is infectious, and the gigantic pretzel makes it all even better.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

... I am so jealous of that lederhosen, you don't even know. What's more, the twist in the pretzel is accurate... Must... obtain... plastic baked good... (You have no idea how much I love that XD).
I should have guessed as much. :P
Nice descriptions, though I wish I could see a side-shot of a few of these... (especially a close-up of the DJ's headpiece).
Sorry, I'll try to get a pic of his profile to display those awesome headphones. Also, I didn't take many side pictures since most characters' backs were plain and/or they didn't have a flip face.Tock by tick...
I'm not a rabid collector of the Minifigures (in fact, my entire collection was generously given to me by Kakaru at last Bricks Cascade), but I need that Lederhosen guy. That guy's smile is infectious, and the gigantic pretzel makes it all even better.
My friend got my brother the Ringleader from Series 2, and soon after I managed to get the Witch, and I was hooked. :P And, yes, his adorably infectious smile combined with that lederhosen is a lethal combination.
I was going to skip here when I went for my series 8, but this has made me rethink that decision.
Yay! Someone appreciated my Homestar Runner reference! :Dakanohi.png Edited by Akano Toa of Electricity

Akano's Comics
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Cowgirl

The Cowgirl is pretty cool. Her lasso piece was previously used for Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth and is now available in dark brown. I also like her boots and hat, as they really add to her character. Her face just lets you know she's charming and polite around new folk, and she has a wonderful Southern accent. Feel for her hat (new mold!) and lasso, and she'll take care of all your ABS livestock.

I should make one small correction: her lasso is Reddish Brown, not Dark Brown. Also, I see what you did there with the filenames.Anyway, decent review! My favorite fig out of these eight is the Santa minifigure, although the only one I have currently is the Cowgirl. The theme as a whole continues to include lots of great variety in minifigures, and I don't even mind "repeats" like the red cheerleader one bit, since they still have things making them unique. I'm kind of surprised at the bag of toys mold for Santa, though, since I had expected a more accurate Santa fig to use the sack introduced for the robbers in LEGO City a year or so ago. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Aanchir: You are correct, sir! I will edit that. (Also, very glad someone caught that little Easter egg. :D)I think they did use the robber's backpack for Yoda Santa from the Star Wars Advent calendar, but I guess they decided to go for a new mold for this one. *shrug*akanohi.png

Akano's Comics
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

Aanchir: You are correct, sir! I will edit that. (Also, very glad someone caught that little Easter egg. :D)I think they did use the robber's backpack for Yoda Santa from the Star Wars Advent calendar, but I guess they decided to go for a new mold for this one. *shrug*akanohi.png
I've got nothing against the new toy sack mold, but I personally think the robber's sack would be great because you could put some printed "Christmas present" tiles inside. Of course, nothing stopping those of us who have that element from using it on this guy!

• 2 months later...

Hey, nice review. ;) I'm a major fan of the LCM series myself. Nice descriptions and tips on how to find them.

Strange as this may sound, the red cheerleader is one of the ones I want most. She's the only way to get that hairpiece in that color.

:o There can never be enough lego pirates! And that golden sword... :drool:

I also like the conquistador (more gold!) and the detailed Santa is nice. And I can see how the lederhosen guy can be a lot of fun...

And of course LCM are always awesome. :D

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

• 2 weeks later...