Rare Kanohi Masks

Illuminatus

Greetings, BZPers. I see the (relatively) new forums are still painfully low on official threads, which however relieves me, as I can simply ask away what's on my mind. :P Now, I was curious about several rare Kanohi masks and their origin. I know there are about 4-5 known brown Noble Komau masks, which I'm pretty sure came in the European mask packs, but I wasn't sure about the white Noble Huna? Can anyone enlighten me as to its origin? Also, how valuable are the two gold variations of the Kanohi Kraahkan, and is the lighter one generally rarer? Thanks. :)

Edited by Surreality

Yes. The lighter Kraahkahn is a lot rarer. I managed to buy the darker one for a pretty cheap price actually.I think there are some really rare pink, purple and yellow prototype masks and (Not sure if it was ever released) but Lewa phantoka's Miru prototype looks a little the the Mark VI hemet from halo

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Yes. The lighter Kraahkahn is a lot rarer. I managed to buy the darker one for a pretty cheap price actually.I think there are some really rare pink, purple and yellow prototype masks and (Not sure if it was ever released) but Lewa phantoka's Miru prototype looks a little the the Mark VI hemet from halo
The lighter Kraahkan is not really technically a misprint, per se. In late 2005, LEGO altered the gold color they used, which would show up in the first wave of their '06 sets. But the Tower of Toa was still in production, so some golden Kraahkan were cast in the new color. They're not common, but I wouldn't call them super-rare either.Now, the Avohkii in new gold ... that's special, and those are prototypes.I believe the rarest of all masks is the yellow noble Huna, but that's speaking from memory. If I recall correctly, however, there were only one or two ever made, making them incredibly valuable. The white one isn't common either, but it's much more common than the yellow one and I think is simply a European misprint. I can't elucidate its exact origin, unfortunately. Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I believe the rarest of all masks is the yellow noble Huna, but that's speaking from memory. If I recall correctly, however, there were only one or two ever made, making them incredibly valuable. The white one isn't common either, but it's much more common than the yellow one and I think is simply a European misprint. I can't elucidate its exact origin, unfortunately.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the white Huna isn't one of the standard european misprints. I think it was a prototype.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the white Huna isn't one of the standard european misprints. I think it was a prototype.

I used to think so too, until I read on the old forums that there were three known ones in existence. And if there are so much, chances are there's more in the possession of people who are absolutely unfamiliar with their value.

Edited by Surreality

The Ruru and Matatu are the two noble kanohi that came out as misprints(in red, blue, black, brown, green, and white) in the mask packs.As for the white Huna, I checked and it was a white Ruru Reya was selling. The white Huna are infinitely more rare, I was under the impression there was only one known to exist.It has been a few years, but I vaguely remember the topic announcing the white Huna's discovery on the old forums. I am 99% certain the member who came to obtain it claimed to find it in the bushes at LEGOLAND Billund.I was not aware that there were brown Komau floating around... I wouldn't think that they came in the mask packs, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

The brown Komau most definitely came from the mask packs. A lucky old friend of mine by the name of Ikki once told me he'd gotten two from those packs. He then went on to trade one of them for a golden Kanoka, I believe...
Good to know. It's funny, LEGO never identified the brown Komau as a mask pack misprint in their online mask guide... I suppose it was simply due to it being less common than the Kaukaus, Matatus, and Rurus, or perhaps they weren't aware of them themselves...

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

• 4 weeks later...

Since its been many years, I had to go digging, but here is where the white Huna and brown Komau came from at the time they were discovered.

They were found in a sort of variety pack in Europe. There were many different items in the pack (including a calendar I believe) but the masks didn't match any of the other items. As far as I know there has never been a good explination of how they got there or where they came from? One of the great mysteries.
Sep 25 2007, 09:15 PMI do recall that I managed to talk the person who found them into going back to the store and buying a second pack and then he sent the masks to me. I can tell you that they were never available in the mask packs.For the time frame you are interested in, here is a decent overview of what was being collected:smallversion.jpgThe good old days of collectables.And before someone asks, no, its still not for sale.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the information, ccso35. I could have sworn I read a post on the old forum in which someone claimed they found a white Huna in the bushes, but that could have simply been an single experience, whereas the variety packs would probably be the source of most of the white Huna (Hunas?).Out of curiosity, do you know if the pack's other contents were BIONICLE or LEGO related? I ask because in the quote it says that the masks didn't match any of the other items.

There were lots of claims, very few were actually true. I don't recall any claim of found in a bush, and I think that would have stuck with me. As for the variety packs, there was nothing else Lego in the pack. Doesn't make any sense, but that was the way it was.

There were lots of claims, very few were actually true. I don't recall any claim of found in a bush, and I think that would have stuck with me.
It's probably just my memory up to it's old tricks, then. :P
As for the variety packs, there was nothing else Lego in the pack. Doesn't make any sense, but that was the way it was.
That's quite funny, and also possibly the most bizarre thing I've ever heard in regards to LEGO promotions. I have to wonder how it could have possibly happened. But the likelihood of it ever being explained is slim...

• 3 weeks later...

I was really into the collectables during the height of their popularity, but I have not paid much attention to them in a while. I have an akaku that I am pretty sure is a pre-production prototype. It resembles the regular production masks, except the plastic is a little bit different and the mask number (on the inside) is missing/blank. I recall some discussion of prototypes of the toa and the bohroks way back.--SOB

Scourge of Billund

Curious: how rare is the Kraahkan that came with Ultimate Dume, nowadays?- Taka
Not very rare at all, considering it came in an official set. I suppose you could argue that it's slightly rarer than masks like the great Huna since it only came in one extremely large set, but it's still easy enough to get multiples of them.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 2 weeks later...
How rare would a golden Vahi be? Because I have two.
I never thought they were that rare. Pretty easy to get from the promotional Vahki back in the day, or Accessory Kit (both of which I got. Two golden Vahi, bro, kindred spirits!)
Yeah, I got both of mine from the same accessory tub. I was so happy!
You can get two in one tub?...Wait, actually I seem to remember that... maybe I had 3 then... I only have one left over now, though. :(

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

• 4 weeks later...

Also, how valuable are the two gold variations of the Kanohi Kraahkan, and is the lighter one generally rarer?

The dark gold Kraahkan is not rare at all. The light gold one is more rare because it only came in the Tower of Toa (?) sets that were still being produced until the Inika came out. The reason they used light gold was because they stopped making the darker gold in the beginning of 2006. That's all I know, you could PM Aanchir for more information on colors, as he seems to know everything.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

As in you have it, or you want it so badly?

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...