Set Review: 850487 Halloween Accessory Set

Akano

So, in a somewhat recent blog entry I mentioned that LEGO had two new Series Minifigure 3-packs; the Halloween Accessory Set and the Rock Band Minifigure Accessory Set. Well, I bought the former of the two when I obtained half of the Series 8 Minifigures, so I figured I'd review this little 3-pack.PresentationFrom the design of the box to the instruction manual, these are the first things you see before building the set.

boxfront.png_thumb.jpg boxback.png_thumb.jpg

The box is just like that of the luau set: a flexible plastic container with lids on top and bottom. The minifigures are proudly displayed in the front just like the olden days where big sets had a box flap that opened to reveal the minifigures and other special pieces to look forward to. It was a simpler time; it was a better time. The background keeps with the Monster Fighters theme with an eerie full moon in the background, which of course works perfectly for a Halloween set. The back is similar and pretty much repeats the picture garnished underneath with a healthy dose of legalese.BuildingHalf the fun is had building the set. How fun is it to build and how easy or challenging is it?

pieces.png_thumb.jpg build1.png_thumb.jpg build2.png_thumb.jpg build3.png_thumb.jpg build4.png_thumb.jpgSimple build is simple.

Like the luau set, there isn't much substance other than the minifigures themselves, thus the build doesn't take more than five minutes.Set DesignNow that the set is complete, we can critique how it looks from every angle. New or interesting pieces can also be examined here.

build4.png_thumb.jpgCopy and paste? I have no idea what you're talking about...

This is it. Other than the minifigures, this is the set. The tombstone is pretty cool, and the design with the bat and "RIP" is a printed piece, not a sticker, which is definitely a plus. It's a cute little grave for a cute little set. But, this isn't the important part. Let's take a look at the minifigs...

witch.png_thumb.jpg witches.png_thumb.jpgI personally don't see a resemblance...

The witch is exactly the same as the Series 2 minifigure, which is good for those who may not have snagged her when she came out, because frankly, she's pretty awesome. Interestingly, her hands are black in the set and in the original series release, but her hands on the box art are dark bley. O.o

ghostchains.png_thumb.jpg ghostside.png_thumb.jpgEbenezer Scrooge...!

The ghost in this set is the same as the Monster Fighters ghost, but he comes with chains to rattle like Jacob Marley. I like this new take on the classic ghost minifigure that made his appearance in Time Twisters and Castle sets, since he has that little tail on the back of his head and is making an eerily awesome moan with his mouth. He also does not have actual legs, and instead has a brick and plate combo for his feet (like in the Haunted House set, which I eagerly am waiting to buy...).

zombie.png_thumb.jpg brains.png_thumb.jpgGrr...argh...

To be honest, this was the real reason for me wanting to get this set. The zombie. Almost the same as the Series 1 zombie (which is now ridiculously priced on Bricklink!) except his clothes have changed; his tie and jacket have switched colors. This is fine, as his face is now available to buy again, and he's still as endearing and adorable as ever.PlayabilityThe other half of the fun is in playing with the set. How well does the set function and is it enjoyable to play with?I mean, let's face it; this set is to enhance your minifigure collection. Don't get me wrong, the grave is a cool, spooky addition to any Halloween-type set you have, but as far as playability, there isn't functionality or anything like that.Final ThoughtsOnce it's all said and done, how does the set stack up? Should I get it?If you want to add these minifigures to your collection, hop on this deal. The ghost, which is normally only in the Ghost Train and Haunted House sets, is now available here for a fairly decent price, and if you missed the Series Witch or Zombie you'll want to get this. I will agree that the $15 that LEGO has priced this at is a bit high, but not terribly much more than the price of the Series Minifigures (plus an extra tombstone and critters!)ProsWhat's to like?

• ZOMBIE!!!
  • Witch
  • Ghost
  • Grave is cute

ConsWhat's not to like?

• Price may be a bit high.

I hope you all consider getting this one as the spooky season closes in on us. vampire.gif For the gallery, go here when it becomes public. :)akanohi.png

Akano's Comics
BZP's resident "MOO" obsesser. My Blag.
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
We are the Order of Absolutely Crazy People. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg