Drawn to Disaster by Lily Gee - first 6 chapters

GaliGee

Drawn to Disaster by Lily GeeThanks to a news article on BZPower, you may have heard about my recently published novel. It's a metafiction adventure that draws heavily on stuff I posted in the Epics forum a few years ago. The novel shares the premise of the Makuta-GaliGee stories: the dark, shape-shapeshifting villain captures a blue historian for his world-domination plan, and then he claims he's fallen for her. Chaos ensues as she tries to unravel the truth--and escape with her life.On my website (www.lilygee.com), you can order the paperback, and the first chapter is available to everyone. But for my friends on BZPower, who have given me good times and plentiful encouragement, I'm going to post the first six chapters. I'll be putting a link to the PDFs, one per week, on a hidden page, www.lilygee.com/BZPower. Please discuss the chapters here, in this COT thread.I'm really looking forward to getting your feedback. Chapter 1 is up. Enjoy! :kaukaunu:One more thing: I'm planning to release D2D as an ebook, and I'm wondering what format y'all prefer. What do you think is a reasonable price?EDIT: The ebook is online! Get it here for $3.99. Use coupon code YA79W for to download it for free (expires October 31, 2012).EDIT: Thanks for all the love! My ebook 'sales' are up to 95 copies, of which 87 are the code I gave y'all and a few other friends. And I have three outstanding reviews--two on Smashwords and one on Amazon. You guys are the best.

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

* New chapter September 24 * huriko-journeyintolight-sm.jpgPart II: Peacetime Thanks, Huriko!

d2d-banner-sm.jpg DON'T BUY MY BOOK.

Get someone else to buy it for you! (Preview and order the paperback or ebook)

If you like my Makuta-GaliGee epic dark comedies, you may enjoy my metafiction adventure novel, DRAWN TO DISASTER by Lily Gee.

At www.lilygee.com you can read the first chapter, watch the video trailer, find maps & links, take a trivia quiz, and get e-mail updates.

<3 Thanks for the love, BZPower! If you've read D2D, please review it on Amazon or Smashwords! <3

Thanks, light Laser! Ah, yes, the Lupenroz. Picture creatures that are half human teenager and half wolf, with lethal powers and the emotional maturity of kindergarteners. They play a pretty big part in the story, which contains elements of my BZPower epics Road Trip with Makuta and Makuta Island. (In the sequel, they'll start a rock band, a la Tangled Web. :P )Here's a hidden page on my website that lists their names and powers: www.lilygee.com/lupenroz. :kaukaunu:

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

* New chapter September 24 * huriko-journeyintolight-sm.jpgPart II: Peacetime Thanks, Huriko!

If you like my Makuta-GaliGee epic dark comedies, you may enjoy my metafiction adventure novel, DRAWN TO DISASTER by Lily Gee.

At www.lilygee.com you can read the first chapter, watch the video trailer, find maps & links, take a trivia quiz, and get e-mail updates.

<3 Thanks for the love, BZPower! If you've read D2D, please review it on Amazon or Smashwords! <3

Thanks, light Laser! Ah, yes, the Lupenroz. Picture creatures that are half human teenager and half wolf, with lethal powers and the emotional maturity of kindergarteners. They play a pretty big part in the story, which contains elements of my BZPower epics Road Trip with Makuta and Makuta Island. (In the sequel, they'll start a rock band, a la Tangled Web. :P )Here's a hidden page on my website that lists their names and powers: www.lilygee.com/lupenroz. :kaukaunu:
Scooter? But, but. I thought he was Pinky. :PI already read the first chapter on your website. It reminds me very much of basically every kidnapping in any of your stories. It is also interesting to see that his stated goal is about the same as Makuta's in Tangled Web. Kind of surprised to see that he has 64 powers and only 16 lupenroz. I'm both wondering what powers he has that the lupenroz don't and the ones that don't fit into the 42 that Teridax had.
How well will you die?

As a big fan of amphibian-people, I approve of this setting. I'm a relative newcomer here, so I didn't get to read the original back in the day, although I think I read some of your comedies back when I was lurking. I look forward to seeing more of this world you've created.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Hey, y'all! Thanks for reading and posting.light Laser, you're welcome. The Lupenroz's real names aren't used in the story--I should probably take those out. The nicknames are enough to memorize. :huh:Kanye West, yes, my name is a dumb pun. Hopefully you'll find my writing more clever. ;)LewaLew, it's true. The beginning is deja vu to readers of my old stuff. As is the premise--the revision of history. The difference is that while Makuta Teridax is LEGO's consummate villain who will never be redeemed, Morgoz is an unknown. (My characters have taken on a life of their own as I write about them, and Morgoz has actually surprised me at times.) Why 64 powers, but only 16 Lupenroz? I suppose he hasn't gotten around to making the rest. Or they're powers he wouldn't want a kid to have. I haven't listed them all out, but I figure I should give the supernatural anti-hero a generous power count. Yes, Pinky lives! Now I'm going to have to post seven chapters so you can see Scooter in action. Chapter 7 is "Donuts and Coffee." wakeup2.gif Alyska, welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the amphibian people. Zarena's ability to breathe water is going to come in handy a few times. But when she goes shoe-shopping, the webbed feet are a problem. :PI'm going to change the new chapter frequency from once a fortnight to once a week, because I did the math and I'm just not that patient.'Preciate you folks coming by! :kaukaunu:

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

I'll have to buy your book- it's only fair, really, since you're the main reason I started writing. In fact, the only reason I joined BZPower back in the day was to comment on your epic, Makuta Island... talk about a blast from the past. I've accompanied Galigee through almost all her adventures, and I'm excited to read this story that draws so much inspiration from the stories I enjoyed so much all those years ago.Anyway, enough reminiscing. Good luck with your book; may it be a bestseller! :)

In fact, the only reason I joined BZPower back in the day was to comment on your epic, Makuta Island... talk about a blast from the past.
She wrote that too. :P At least about the one Makuta got. Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

Chocolate Milk, thanks! You guys taught me to write, no doubt. Even though my journalism for BZPower made me a target for Makuta's sinister scheme of seduction, it was totally worth it. :DLewaLew, it's funny you mention "Blast from the Past"... You may recognize a feisty Krahka-inspired character in D2D. sarcastic.gifOkay, so my next mission is to publish D2D as an e-book. I'm going through the Smashwords formatting guide now, and I should have it up within a week or so. For one price, you get unlimited downloads of all the formats they offer (Kindle, PDF, ePub, etc.). I'll let y'all know! :kaukaunu:

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

Happy Friday, y'all. Chapter 2 is up. Go to www.lilygee.com/bzpower to read the PDF. (Well, you don't have to, but I hope you will.)Enjoy!:kaukaunu:

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

It's rather a refreshing change to have the victim interacting with people not named Onua who are not riding motorcycle built by someone named Cajun. :P It's rather unfamiliar to have truly friendly faces around the protagonist in your stories, and that makes it interesting, to me.Of course, we all know that the visit couldn't have possibly been due to a concussion, because it just wouldn't be a GaliGee story without a visit from some infinitely powerful force of nature incarnate. Be back next Friday to check out Ch. 3.

How well will you die?

I need to get someone to buy the book for me :bigsmile:Is it just me or is Laeka really Morg...No he's not.Hey I didn't write that.Yes I did.No, I didn't who's doing tha...Morgoz would never do that because he wants people to know the truth.Stop that...I'm going offline line now.NOOOO...

Edited by Takanuvainika

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

Ah, just remembered to find the extra content now that you've shown us the second chapter. I'll have to try those cookies. And of course, you already showed us the Lupenroz page. It's interesting to see that you've done something similar to Tangled Web with the songs, although frankly, the only two I care for are "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Am I Blue?". I suppose I have Makuta's taste in music, although I kind of prefer Glenn Miller to the Rat Pack.The rest is sort of enigmatic, outside of the sub, since those of us holding out for an e-book have only seen the first two chapters. I would assume Morah is something similar to Mangaia? Or maybe that's the Darkhouse.I suppose I'll have to read to find out. :P

How well will you die?

LewaLew, you revived some fond memories for me, riding on the back of Onua's protodermis Harley. Good times! Don't be so sure my plucky heroine won't find herself on a familiar road trip. ;) Glad you found the extra content on my page. The cookies are pretty good, although the ingredients are limited by storyline considerations. (Zaians don't have chocolate chips.) And they're an important plot element. Hey, you share Morgoz's taste in music. And yes, the chapter titles do contain some clues. For example, the story will conclude with an epic battle. How could you expect any less from a Gee adventure novel? :biggrin:Takanuvainika, is Laeka really Morgoz, you ask? You'll see soon enough. I'd change my password if I were you... not that it'll last long. sarcastic.gif Morgoz is as good a shape-shifter--and hacker--as Makuta Teridax. As you may have read at the end of Tangled Web, I suspect that Morgoz is a Makuta who was cast into the Dark Dimension by Teridax (sweet brotherly love). He emerged with amnesia in the world of Za and met Zarena, the alternate-universe version of me. Oh, frabjous day.AND...Good people/creatures/aliens/robots of BZPower, Drawn to Disaster is now available as an eBook. Here is where you find it: https://www.smashwor...oks/view/243393It's $3.99 for the general public, but for y'all on BZPower, here's a coupon code to get a FREE COPY (valid through October 31): YA79WOnce you 'buy' it, you can download it forever in any of the formats: EPUB, Kindle, PDF, etc. Please check it out, and tell me what you think here, in this COT thread. Tell your friends, and tell your librarian. If you're moved to eloquence, review it on Smashwords, or on Amazon.Enjoy! :kaukaunu:

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

ok I've just download Drawn to Disaster and I think I got rid of MorgozNo you didn't.AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Edited by Takanuvainika

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

Just call me Taka or TNI

I actually just ended up buying it.

I can't draw any new GG Makuta Story parallels from the supporting cast, other than that Gavron could be a very loose parallel to Onua. Except Onua isn't dead, and his relation to the main character was more of a adopted brother-sister thing.So the Alternate version of Pinky is still caffeine-crazed and secretly tagging along on road trips with his fellow masters of disguise. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)Pahli. Funny. :P

Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

Hey, y'all! I'm so thrilled people are downloading D2D. So far, 11 copies! Plus, 6 paperbacks have sold. One of those was my mom, but still... Special thanks to those who posted here. I can't wait to see your reaction.The link to Chapter 3: The History of Zarena is up now on my website, www.lilygee.com/bzpower. But of course you can download the whole thing for free until October 31 (see my sig).Takanuvainika, I'm telling you, Morgoz is persistent. sarcastic.gifLord of Adders Black, that's exactly the idea. :sigh: I don't want a trivial thing like money to get between me and my readers. Give the coupon code to your friends!LewaLew, wow! That's so sweet. :love: How far have you read? Yes, the Za universe Pinky is very sensitive to caffeine. And like the Rahkshi, Morgoz's offspring are heck-bent on destruction. It's in their DNA. As you said, Gavron is like Onua in his mission, but the relationship is different. Except for him, Zarena's friends are all new. Her home life and history are there to get you familiar with Za and to plant seeds for future events. For instance, Zarena's martial arts training will come in handy. (I'm revealing a few spoilers for everyone, but I'll use tags if you ask really juicy questions.)Kothra, I hope you do! And tell me what you think.Read on! :kaukaunu:

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

I finished reading the book!!! I especially liked the part where BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, and then BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. And don't forget the part when BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP -funnist part in the whole book. Well that's my review of the story. :biggrin:P.S. I found out how to keep Morgoz away; I energized my acount with light energy and now he can't touch it. :happydance:

Then I went on BZPower.

Just call me Taka or TNI

Well, when I posted that, I was at ch. 7, but now I've finished the book.

Twitch, though his power is a combination of Confusion, Fear, and Anger, seems to have Confusirahk's personality as the troublemaker. Hammerhead seems to have the same personality Invulnerahk had (as I expected), although he has Gravirahk's power. Munch and Shadow are essentially the same as Vorahk and Shadrahk were, although I was surprised by the three instances that one of those two cursed. I suppose I'm not used to reading that in your storiss, and considering the way this universe functions, I was suprised at Munch in particular for saying something that wasn't kid-friendly during the obligatory duel with X.X serves her purpose as the Roodaka analog well, although since she's not really a main character in this book as Roodaka was in Tangled Web, she seems to simply be someone to make Zarena have some little heroic moments. But, given the universe's function, I find it rather appropriate.It seems Krahka's equivalent may have been split into two beings. Mizako is the smuggler/bounty hunter with a habit of haggling, but Morgoz gets along with him much better than Teridax did Krahka. Y, on the other hand, fits her personality to a T, although the encounter on the volcano seemed rather rushed, considering it was basically all of Makuta Gets a Blast from the Past and Road Trip with Krahka condensed into one chapter.That was also probably my only complaint about the book. The first half was mostly scenes from you Makuta stories quoted nearly word-for-word. I actually just scanned through the chapter when Morgoz sent some of the Lupenroz against Zarena, because I had already read that a few days ago when I reread Makuta Island. Of course, the most interesting part is the latter half of the book, but I think that's a little too spoilerish for now. I may post back later to comment on that.Zarena works well filling in for your traditional role, but I enjoy her far more once we get to that latter half. Same for Morgoz, particularly when he's showing her around the world outside Za and Morah.And I think my favorite character ever is Mr. B. C now. :P

How well will you die?

Hey, guys. We're up to 18 copies! Woot!Taka, I'm happy you liked it! Or, at least you seemed to. Tell me more, with spoiler tags if needed. (Click the third icon in the post editor, it looks like a green F inside a square). Congratulations on getting Morgoz out of your account. Now he's raising Cain in my stories topic. :rolleyes: But he was provoked.Thunder on the Mountain, thanks for checking in! You may find the name of a minor character, Fieron DaMountain, to be of interest. (He'll be in the sequel, too.)iBrow Voltex, thanks! I'm really glad to be getting it out there. Let me know what you think.LewaLew, thanks for your awesome review, and the one on Smashwords. :biggrin: Yes, for a Makuta-GaliGee story reader, a lot of D2D is going to be re-runs. Hopefully for the general public, the story will seem less a patchwork and more a coherent weave.

You have the Rahkshi-Lupenroz conversion right. Some of them are fused or split. Yeah, there is a bit of language, although I still refrain from the George Carlin list. :sigh: X=Roodaka, for sure (heh, did you catch her use of third person for herself?). Sassy ex-gf Krahka did become Yavahna. Mizako is part dealmaker Krahka and part "old friend" Eppy (fortunately without his conceit).The first half is intended to be a madcap adventure setup ("How bad can it get?"). The second part is more interesting to me, too. The relationship between Zarena and Morgoz gets a lot more complicated, and that part was really fun to write, plus I love pounding on the fourth wall. :sly:Mr. B. C. has a fan! Yesss! (His prototype, of course, is GregF.)

Well, thanks, all of y'all who've downloaded D2D and posted. :love: As for the rest of you: go, dog, go! It's free, for crying out loud. :kaukaunu:

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

A couple of weeks ago, Former BZPower Staff Member and author, GaliGee published her book, Drawn to Disaster. (Lily Gee is GG's pseudonym. Translation: pen name.) Fortunately, she has been generous enough to provide a promo code for the e-book of Drawn to Disaster, and it's only fitting that we do her a favor in return and give her some publicity. Yours truly, LewaLew, has finished the book, and so I'm reviewing it here for you, although clearly all of you have already purchased it. Right?View the full article

Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

Well i'm proud to say i'm one of the few (it seems) who actually bought the paperback. I absolutly loved the story, i read it in a day and late into the night i got it, the second part just pulls you in, I couldn't put it down eventhough i had class the next morning XD. I really liked what you did with the Lupenroz (though it would have been cooler if you had done something reptilian rather than canine with them, but that's just my own anti-canine bias talking). Morgoz was a joy to read, when he demonstrated one of his powers for the younglings at the market i found myself wishing i could do that too. I can't wait for the sequel! there is a sequel right?>SO<

WANTED:

Got rare bionicle collectables? Ask me what I'll give you for them

STANDING OFFERS FOR RARE COLLECTABLES:

$250 for a White Huna

$250 for a Yellow Ruru

$250 for a Brown Komau

$100 for Metru Blue Matatu

Kraata -  Wild Kraata

- all prices open to reasonable negotiation -

qs20113.jpg
qs20113.jpg

:wub: Wow, you guys are beyond awesome!BenLuke, cool! It'll be on your Kindle next time you need a beach read. cool.pngLewaLew, thanks so much! Putting D2D back on the front page, and with such a great review, has stirred things up. We're up to 40 copies! I love your summary of the setup: "the supervillain decides he needs a girlfriend." That one phrase contains the fundamental conflict in the story, yes? Your description of Morgoz as alternately sincere and untrustworthy is exactly what I was going for. Zarena felt the same way. As for the revelation... yeah, how would you feel? I had a blast writing the part with the discussion board--heavily inspired, of course, by BZPower. :biggrin:shadowonua, your post warms my heart! Thanks for buying the paperback. I'm thrilled you liked it so much. Losing sleep, even! Yeah, the Lupenroz weren't lizards (which are just plain cool), but they were still fun to write. And the wolves allowed me wax autobiographical. Like Zarena, I'd always been more of a cat person, but then I met a dog who won me over. :lookaround: I think Morgoz had as much fun at the market as the kids did. Darn my lack of superpowers. But at least we have fiction! If you get a chance, would you mind copying your post to Smashwords (and/or Createspace) as a review? You can help me stand out among the million mediocre self-published books out there. And heck, yeah, there's going to be a sequel. :sly: The countries of the Za world will re-enact WWII, Morgoz will try to manipulate destiny, and the Lupenroz will start a rock band. (By the way, I wish I'd been hanging around BZP when your full-size steel Kraahkan topic was alive. That thing is baaaaad! :ninja: ) The PDF of Chapter 4: The Light of Day is now on the BZP hidden page, www.lilygee.com/bzpower. (That stuff will stay up even after the free ebook coupon expires.) Thanks for all your support, guys! Please, give the free ebook code YA79W to your friends, and review it (especially if you like it). :kaukaunu: Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

Even though I'm no longer so active on BZP (in fact, this is my first post to the site in months), your works are one of my fondest memories of the site, GaliGee. Tangled Web is perhaps the only story I can remember clearly from my days in the BZP Library. It might not mean much now, but back then, whenever I'd reach the end of the latest chapter, still riding the high of excitement of actually reading a new chapter, I'd just be so infuriated (light-hearted fury, of course): how dare you leave us hanging! And finally getting to the ending, and realizing that this was the end of a journey and an emotional thrill ride...Well, this is nothing more than what you've heard from your readers and fans before, so I'll wrap up. The sheer effort, creativity, and love you put into your stories made a site and community I love all the better. Tangled Web was magnificent. And I know (like the rest of BZP does) that Drawn to Danger will be just as fantastic a thrill ride as that was. Thank you for sharing this with us, GaliGee.(And sorry if I came off a little too sappy... blush.png )

~ Renewal ~

Renewal, I loved your sappy post! ^_^ I'm glad my stories have been memorable to someone. That's the most wonderful thing a writer can hear. Hey, it was you readers who taught me to compose those aggravating cliffhangers. I had to keep you coming back somehow! I hope you enjoy Drawn to Disaster. And when it's over, it won't really be over, because God willing, I will write a sequel. :sly: And as for that sequel, LewaLew,

the existence of the Baelizar is not yet proven, and this will be part of the plot. As you may remember, Mr. B.C. likes to borrow from Greek legend, and Zarena = Cassandra.

CHTrilogy, thanks for downloading the book! I hope you get the chance to read it soon. :biggrin:And thanks to the others who've downloaded D2D. We're up to 73 copies! If half of y'all actually read it, and a third of those who read it actually like it, I'll have a dozen fans! :happydance: :kaukaunu:

Edited by GaliGee

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

I'll have to read this. along with all the other books I need to read.and thanks for the code :biggrin:now I just need to get in gear and work on my book/story/series.

Edited by <shockwave>

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Thanks, <shockwave>! And good luck with your writing, too. You see where it can take you? :DWe're up to 82 ebook copies 'sold.' Check out the screen shot of Smashwords, and notice the 'sort by' parameter. You guys have put me at the top! :wub: I've gotten some really sweet comments on my blog.And, the link to Chapter 5: The Life of the Party is up on the www.lilygee.com/bzpower page, if anyone is reading it that way.Enjoy, and don't forget to review!:kaukau:

post-720-0-16133300-1350942573_thumb.jpg

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

I'll post a review as soon as I read it, and that will probably be sometime after marching band is over. so, soon hopefully.and thank you! :D

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Hi folks. I've posted the link to Chapter 6: Sub Mission on the www.lilygee.com/bzpower page. It's where things get exciting again. (Yeah, you guys know Morgoz is real, but after the reconstruction and the party, Zarena has almost managed to forget about him ...)And if you haven't already downloaded the Drawn to Disaster ebook, do it soon! The coupon code expires tomorrow, October 31. So far we're up to 91 'sales,' including a half dozen downloads by my Sunday school friends. (Most of them aren't into shape-shifters who drive nuclear submarines, but they've been sweet enough to check it out. And maybe their kids will read it, too. :D )<shockwave>, I look forward to your review!Thanks for your interest, y'all! And please, tell me what you think. What's your favorite part? Was anything confusing? Did you like the characters? How do you want things to turn out in the sequel? (By the way, the working title for said sequel is Muse for Mayhem.):kaukaunu:

GaliGee's Stories

GaliGee's Archive

Well, I mentioned in my review that my favorite part was the answer to life, the universe, and everything besides 42, and nothing really confused me all that much. Of course, I'm very familiar with the format, so it might be different for someone else. I did like the characters, but the Lupenroz don't seem to appeal to me quite as much as the Rahkshi did. Of course, there's no single story about how the Lupenroz get along with Zarena, like Makuta Island does for the Rahkshi and GaliGee. I would have liked to see a new character besides Mr. BC. All of the in-universe folks had parallels from previous Makuta Stories. Perhaps an adaptation of Gorast? I imagined that if she had been in a GaliGee story, she would have been Makuta's stalker. Unlike Roodaka and Krahka, she wouldn't be after anything but Makuta himself, but he wouldn't have anything to do with her. It would put Makuta in the same situation he constantly puts GaliGee in, except he and Gorast are on about the same power level.Plus, there would be fun jokes about how many times he keeps trying to kill her off, like the energy storms in Karda Nui. :PAs far as the sequel, I trust you to make a terrific story, but one thing I would like to see is no rehashing of Makuta stories, or at least much less of it. That was the only thing that disappointed me about Drawn to Disaster.

How well will you die?