Wasted Passion

Master Inika

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 1Berix finally regained consciousness. He had to admit, this was not his day. For starters, it was so dark he couldn’t see anything. It was also very hot, much hotter than the Great Sea in which he lived. Additionally, he was tied to a chair.Suddenly, a light turned on, blinding him. Berix could faintly see three beings, though silhouetted by the bright light. He could faintly make out their armor as crimson, the color of the Fire Tribe.“Alright, talk,” one, apparently the leader, said.“Who are you?” Berix mumbled, still waiting for his eyes to adjust.“I’m Perditus. The brute to my left is Malum, who will be more than happy to give you encouragement to answer my questions if you don’t want to,” Perditus said.“And the third one?” Berix asked.“That’s Tyddak, a new recruit,” Perditus said. “Now, I believe you’ve asked enough questions. Now try answering one. Why were you snooping around our camp, Agori?”“I was just… scavenging. Maybe looking for some spare armor parts,” Berix said, shaking.“And what did you find?” Malum asked, touching a flame claw to Berix’s wrist.“Nothing,” Berix lied.“Nothing at all?” Malum asked, moving his claw up to Berix’s shoulder.“Okay!” Berix cried, quickly rustling through his satchel before showing a worn-out yet readable scroll, bearing an Ice Tribe insignia. “It’s a map. It shows the fortress they built around the Great Substance’s spring. It has traps, guard shifts, everything.”Malum snatched it and read it over. “The little maggot is right. It’s not very old, either. It’s dated this week,” he noted.“Malum, you’re a squad leader. Organize a patrol around the fortress’ perimeter to see if they have the same guards out,” Perditus ordered. “Oh, and take Tyddak. He could use the practice.”With the nod of a head, Malum departed, followed by Tyddak. Perditus then turned, helmet-to-helmet to Berix. Before he could utter one word, however, a blade sliced the air and lodged itself in a wall. Without releasing Berix, Perditus pulled the blade out and looked at the unique design. Then, his eyes widened in fearful realization.“Skrall!” he shouted. Leaving Berix, Perditus tried running for the nearest exit. However, every window and door exploded open as the soldiers of the Rock Tribe flooded in, blades at the ready.Berix, having squirmed in his chair so long, finally managed to break free. However, a Skrall blade fell upon him, pinning him to the floor by his neck.----So far, Malum’s troop had found the Ice Tribe defenses mostly corresponded with his map.“What if it’s a trap?” Tyddak asked.“That’s ludicrous. That crazy old man Certavus is too slow and dumb to make a trap,” Malum said, referring to Certavus’ role as head general.Suddenly, the ice around Malum, Tyddak, and the other six Fire Tribe warriors opened into hatches. Out of these hatches sprang a team of Ice Tribe warriors. In the front was the decorated head general, Certavus.“Trust me, Malum. I’m anything but ‘slow and dumb.’” Certavus promised. “This was all part of our plan.”As Malum raised his flame claws, and Tyddak his axe, the ice that wasn’t part of the trap started changing as well.In an instant, both sides were struck by beetle-like warriors, with silver and blue armor. The claws the monsters had dug into their armor, searching for the warriors’ deaths.----The Element Lord of Rock stood over the Agori Berix, staring him down.“So, you found the Ice Tribe’s map? The one the Fire Tribe stole from us?” the Rock leader growled.The Water Agori awkwardly fidgeted with his hands, and avoided looking the Lord in the eye. “Yes,” Berix said nervously.“Who sent you to get it?” the Element Lord asked.“Tarix, my field commander,” Berix explained.The Lord of Rock raised his eyebrow, composed of stones as the rest of him. “So he expects you back to Aqua Magna, with the Ice Tribe fortress map?” the Element Lord inquired.“Yes. Soon, too,” Berix said.The Element Lord of Rock stepped away and pulled out a scroll identical in appearance to the Ice Tribe map. “This is a fake map. Anyone who was to follow it would be led into the Ice Tribe’s traps,” the Element Lord explained. Then, dropping it in Berix’s lap, he added, “Take this back to your tribe. Tell them it’s the real map. If you go along with my plan, you might survive to see the end of this war.”“And if I don’t?” Berix asked boldly.“If you don’t… Well, you wait and see what happens if you don’t,” the Element Lord said, staring Berix in the eye. “I don’t care if you’re well beyond the Northern Frost or hiding in the deepest Iron Tribe mine. I’ll find you,” he promised.----As soon as he escaped the Skrall, unlike Berix, Perditus sped on his Thornatus V9 to the Northern Frost to check up to Malum and Tyddak.However, as soon as he reached the border, he could already hear the sounds of battle. Blasts of fire and ice decorated the sky. But Perditus could somehow make out an army of short, silver creatures with claws.Perditus immediately realized how dire the situation was. The Element Lord of Fire had told him about these things. Praying for his soldiers’ safety, he sped forward, hoping he wasn’t too late.

Edited by Master Inika

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 2

Vastus, Field Commander of the Jungle Tribe, stood on a cliff overlooking the Northern Frost. From here, he and his troops could see the ongoing conflict between the Fire Tribe, Ice Tribe, and the strange shapeshifters.

“When do we go? The tunnel to the bottom is finished,” Vastus’ second-in-command, Vukotha, said.

“Patience. Running head-first into a war won’t get us what we want,” Vastus said. “Waiting until the enemy has decimated themselves, however, will. My good friend the Element Lord taught me that.”

“Very well then,” Vukotha sighed.

----

“Status report,” Ackar demanded. He and a few other Fire Tribesmen were gathered in one of the few safe areas.

“At least one third of our men down. Tyddak included,” Perditus said to his head general.

Ackar sighed. “The Great Beings bless his spirit,” Ackar said in respect.

“Well, I figured out Certavus’ little plan,” Perditus said. “The map was a fake all along, meant to lead us into a trap. They leaked it out on purpose.”

Ackar raised his flame sword. “I guess it’s time we show them there’s more to winning a fight that fancy plans.”

----

“You’re late,” Kiina said to Berix.

“Well, I’m here, aren’t I?” Berix shot back. Then, holding the false map up, he added, “And you’re not going to believe what I found.”

“Better be good enough to make up for how much of a snoop you are,” Kiina hissed. She almost made Berix want to betray his tribe.

Suddenly, the river next to the pair whooshed and twisted in ways rivers should not.

“What is it you found?” the unmistakable voice of the Element Lord of Water asked.

Berix, fearful of his leader’s wrath, handed him the scroll. Using precise control of water, the Element Lord opened it and read it over.

“Excellent work, Berix,” the Element Lord praised. Then, an underwater tube formed by the Element Lord’s grace, and the scroll was sucked into it. Then, the water fell, the ruler having left.

----

Ackar held on the cliff’s edge, doing his best to not think about what lay below. Already he had heard pebbles fall down the cliff, but was yet to hear then hit the bottom.

Suddenly, a small avalanche of pebbles fell before him, blinding him. However, a Thornax launcher poked through the onslaught. Ackar grabbed it and the bearer hoisted him out.

Ackar was about to thank his comrade when he looked and saw that he bore the colors of Jungle, not Fire. It was Vastus, a smile visible under his helm.

“This war’s been taking a toll on all sides. We could use more guys who do what’s right just for the good of it,” the Jungle Tribe field commander proclaimed.

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 3

Vukotha scouted what was the former sight of the Battle of the Northern Frost, which would later go down in history as one of the biggest conflicts in Spherus Magna’s history. In the end, the shapeshifters had driven out most of the Fire Tribe forces, but the Jungle Tribe came very close to dislodging the Ice Tribe. However, reinforcements kept them from victory. Now, Vukotha was looking for spare armor and weapons, and maybe secrets.

“There you are,” Vastus said, his voice showing he was relieved for her safety. Vukotha turned and she gave him a weird look.

“I know what you did,” Vukotha said. “You rescued the fool Ackar.”

Vastus yawned. It was very late, and Vukotha could tell he wasn’t really in the mood to argue. Neither was she. “Mindless slaughter won’t help us. Besides, a quality alliance might be just what we need to the turn the tables around here,” Vastus insisted.

“Yeah, until those brutes melt our armor to slag,” Vukotha hissed. “Imagine what our Element Lord would do if he found out!”

“Yes, imagine what he would do,” Vastus said, “if he found out we secured the substance?”

Vukotha stood for a minute, thinking. Vastus smiled when her expression showed she realized what the outcome would be. The war would be over, peace would come between the Fire and Jungle Tribes, and, most importantly, the Great Substance would be theirs.

“Alright. But don’t expect me to work with Malum or Perditus,” Vukotha said.

Vastus smiled, and put his arm around Vukotha. “Look, I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t think it was good for us. Right after this is over, we’ll settle down back in Bota Magna,” he promised.

“Alright. But only if the war’s over soon. If not, the alliance is dead,” Vukotha said.

----

Tarix, Field Commander of the Water Tribe, led his army through the Northern Frost, following Berix’s map. Next to him was Jekkedio, the head general.

“I’ll be right back,” Tarix said. “I need to talk to Berix.”

The solider found the Agori lingering in the back, and stopped him. They waited until their army was far away enough to converse.

“Berix, are you okay? You seem jumpy,” Tarix asked.

“It’s just… nothing,” Berix said.

“Are you hiding anything?” Tarix asked suspiciously.

Berix was looking to the sky, his left, his right, anywhere except Tarix’s eye. The Water fighter noticed, and stared at him more. “Alright!” Berix said, covering his face. “The map is a fake. The Rock Tribe forced me to make you think it was real. It will lead us into a trap.”

“Berix, I am very disappointed in you,” Tarix scolded. “We must tell Jekkedio immediately.”

“No,” a third voice hissed. The two Water Tribesmen turned to see a cloaked female. “The map will lead you right to the Great Substance.”

“You don’t get it, stranger. It was forged by the Element Lord of Rock when I presented him with the real one,” Berix explained.

The cloaked female sighed and started pacing around the two. “No, you don’t get it,” the female said. “The ‘real’ map was forged by the Ice Tribe, and that was actually the fake. Of course, when that moron called the Element Lord of Rock got a hold of it, he couldn’t figure that out and made a ‘fake’ map, which was inadvertently a real map.”

“Huh? You lost me,” Berix said. Tarix, too, was confused by her words.

The cloaked one sighed. “I’ll say it as clearly as I can, you simpletons,” she said. “The ‘real’ map made by the Ice Tribe was fake and purposefully leaked out, hoping to lead another tribe into a trap. When the Element Lord of Rock made a ‘fake’ map, he unknowingly made a real map.”

“Who are you, anyway?” Tarix asked, pointing a water blade at the stranger.

“Wait, I recognize her!” Berix said. “She’s a Skrall!”

Now, the female laughed eerily. “I’d slash myself twenty times before I bore that title. Consider me a Sister of the Skrall.”

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 4“Okay,” Ackar said. “We need to find out what this map is, and who made it.”“Agreed. It has caused enough havoc,” Jekkedio said. Both were the head generals of their respective armies and needed to figure out the nature of a strange map which supposedly led to the Great Substance spring. Also present was the Water Tribe field commander, Tarix, and the field commander for the Fire Tribe. In the back was Berix, also enthralled in the situation, and a mysterious informer who only called herself Avvita.“First off, your Water Agori attempted to betray you,” Ackar said.“Yes, explain yourself to Jekkedio,” Tarix said.“Well, um, I was captured by the Rock Tribe, after being captured by the Fire Tribe, by the way, and the Element Lord gave me a fake map,” Berix explained.“So you could have killed us,” Jekkedio said.Avvita stood up and brushed herself off, but made sure to keep her cloaks in place. “Not exactly,” Avvita said. “The Element Lord of Rock inadvertently made a real map, because the first one was actually set to be fake, and the Element Lord was trying to make one which touched none of the points the original did.”Ackar’s expression to Avvita was one of distrust. “Okay, who exactly are you?” Ackar said.“I am Avvita, the leader of the Sisters of the Skrall,” Avvita said.Ackar’s expression hardened. “So you are of the Skrall,” Ackar said.“No!” Avvita said. In recent times, she had tried making it very clear her organization was totally unaffiliated with the prime Skrall tribe. “Well, yes, but not the Rock Tribe Skrall.”“Um, right…” Ackar said uneasily. If there is one thing the war had taught Ackar, it was that Skrall, Rock Tribe or otherwise, do not like repeating themselves.Berix removed two scrolls from his satchel. “These are the two maps, which I have painted to show which is which,” Berix announced. “The white one is the one that the Ice Tribe produced, and the Rock Tribe gained possession of, which spread to the Fire Tribe, which spread to me.”“That’s the fake one which leads you into the trap,” Avvita pointed out.“Let’s tell which is which at the end, okay?” Berix snapped. Surprisingly, Avvita quieted down. “And, next,” Berix started again, “the black one was forged by the Element Lord of Rock, and given to me as a decoy.”“Now, I will speak, and clear up which map is true and which is false. Do not question my word. What I say is true. I know the Rock Tribe better than you know your helmets,” Avvita proclaimed. “First off, the original map was purposefully leaked. Follow it and you will be led into an ambush, as per the Ice Tribe’s hopes. That crazy Rock Element Lord made his recreation by making the opposite of the original, inadvertently making a real map.”Jekkedio, appearing the only one to truly understand the female’s words, smiled. “Interesting,” Jekkedio said. “Well, my Agori currently claims it, and thus the map belongs to the Water Tribe.”“Not so fast,” Ackar said. “He stole it from us.”“And you stole it from the Rock Tribe, which can be associated with the Sisters of the Skrall,” Avvita noted.“What happened to belong totally unaffiliated with them?” Tarix asked, arms crossed and eyebrow up. In seconds, what had been a civilized conference has turned into a haphazardly free-for-all for the recreation map.----Far north of the conference, a massive wall was being erected around the perimeter of the spring. Overseen by the Element Lord of Ice and Head General Certavus, it was a wall no army could destroy, made out of pure exsidian.“Soon, Certavus, the armies will arrive,” the Element Lord promised.“I don’t know about that idea of yours. What if the other tribes realize it’s a fake?” Certavus asked, worried.“Who else knows, other than that female Skrall, Avvita?” the Element Lord asked. “We have her word. She won’t tell a soul.”

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 5Paakio dodged a swing from Jekkedio’s axe, and then took aim with his Thornax launcher. However, Tarix kicked him in the back onto the floor. But Paakio leapt right back up and punched Tarix in the mouth. As Jekkedio went to fight Avvita, who was using some sort of psychic powers, the two field commanders continued trading blows.In the back, Berix had supplies ready for whenever one of his own was harmed or lost a weapon. It happened often, and he had already been forced to replace both of Tarix’s water blades and the tsunami axe wielded by Jekkedio with a smaller axe.“Stop!” a voice boomed with the force of one thousand. The six stopped their combat and stood up. The voice came from all around, but no speaker could be seen.Suddenly, though, the mist in the room started pulling itself together to form an entity. Before his formation was done, he took a rug from the floor and cast it over himself as a cloak. As it finished, only a metal hand bearing a staff and two glowing eyes were visible. It was a Great Being.“Give me the maps,” the Great Being ordered. Nobody moved, overwhelmed by nervousness. “Give me the maps!” the Great Being shouted again. Berix scrambled and handed him the maps with the Ice Tribe and Rock Tribe insignias.“There’s a story behind both the maps. Avvita might like to explain, since she knows it best,” Jekkedio said.If the commoners saw the Great Being’s expression, they would have cringed. “I know how the maps were made!” the Great Being snapped, reading each one carefully. “You make me sick. Treachery countered by treachery. Is thievery and fighting your answer to everything?”“Great Being, with all due respect, we are merely doing what is necessary to attain what is rightfully ours!” Paakio said patriotically.“So, the only way to get what you want is to live and kill like bone hunters?” the Great Being questioned.“The bone hunters kill just to kill, with no purpose. But not the Fire Tribe,” Paakio said passionately. “We kill with honor! We kill for our nation!”“You kill for greed. You are a disgrace to Spherus Magna,” the Great Being sneered. “I give up. You are a lost cause. Fight on for this ‘Great Substance,’ which is quickly becoming the ‘Destroying Substance,’ all you wish,” he concluded. With that, his body dispersed into mist, and the mist soared out of the window.Jekkedio and Ackar reached for the scroll maps, but found that they had disappeared. They did not know if it was by the force of the Great Being or not, but decided it was not worth challenging him.“Well, I’m heading back home,” Avvita said. “I think I’ve given my share of revelations today,” With that, the female Skrall left through the wooden door. Berix, Tarix, and Jekkedio headed for Aqua Magna, while Ackar and Paakio went for their homeland.After the six left, Tarduk poked his head out of the secret hatch he was in. He bore both scrolls in his hands and good news in his mind for his Element Lord, Niddhota. Feeling proud yet somewhat guilty for his uncharacteristic treachery, Tarduk went down the secret hatch and took the tunnel back to Niddhota’s fortress.----Far south from the conference room, in the vicinity of Bara Magna, the Element Lord of Sand stared disapprovingly at his Zesk gatherer.“And the mission failed?” the Element Lord hissed.“I am sorry, mighty Gahara, the Vorox you sent…” the Zesk mumbled, although his voice trailed off as he realized his mistake. The Element Lord’s eyes showed the rage of a sandstorm.“What in the Great Beings’ names did you call me?” the Sand Lord raged. To the Lord of Sand, being called his real name, Gahara, was a sin of unforgivable nature. His life as a Vorox was a hard one until that faithful day the Great Beings truly made him one with the Great Barren.“The brigade sent for the reported Ice Tribe map failed,” the Zesk whispered, trying to change the subject.“Understand this, sand mite,” the Element Lord of Sand growled. “Gahara is dead. He died the day I was born.”The Zesk hastily scampered off to check up on the Vorox camps down south near Aqua Magna. Anything was better that his Lord’s insane rage. Like the desert itself, his leader was unpredictable and could strike out at anything. Nobody ever knew what was just beneath his surface.

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 6Gahara entered through the left door in Niddhota’s fortress. The Agori Tarduk, Niddhota’s scribe, stood in the corner. Gahara entered with several Vorox, for protection, as he always did.“It is a pleasure to see you again,” the Element Lord of Jungle said, making no effort to hide the contempt in his voice.“You know what I’m here for,” the Sand Lord hissed. “Our tribes have been at a stalemate in the forest of Bara Magna for over a month. We’re both losing, so we need a solution to who owns that land.”“That’s right. I have a proposal which would enable us conjoined control of it, and also maybe block some southerners from reaching the north. It has a schedule on who controls the land, and we-”“Actually, I had another idea,” Gahara said. As he snapped his claws, two more Vorox came in carrying a tied up Jungle fighter, a ripe Thornax gagging him.“You are sick,” Niddhota said. He recognized the warrior as Gresh, a boy too young to fight in the war. “No Element Lord is cruel enough to drag the innocent into this. We all agreed only those who fight will be captured.”“I’ll give him back if you just give the forest control to the Sand Tribe,” Gahara said. Niddhota saw Gresh’s eyes pleading for freedom.“Fine,” Niddhota decided. He turned to Tarduk and said, “Relay the message. Pull all troops from the forest.”----Niddhota looked at the two scrolls in his hand. When trading for Gresh, he pondered offering the scrolls in exchange for Gresh and going through with conjoined ownership of the forest. He decided they were still too important.Propaganda had overtaken Spherus Magna as to their origins, ensured by the Ice Tribe to keep everyone on the wrong trail. The majority of the Fire Tribe believed both maps were fakes and didn’t want either. The Water Tribe, not trusting Berix but trusting the word of their head general, were mostly clueless about them. Niddhota had reluctantly decided to keep his possession of the scrolls a strict secret between himself and Tarduk. The Jungle Tribe was mostly left in the dark.The Element Lord of Rock took a similar approach with his Skrall, although they were more… creative. Most Skrall believed that the scrolls were embedded with great power, and were pressuring the Element Lord to send them out for it. He was considering it, for he, despite creating one map, did not know where they actually were. The Vorox didn’t care what they were, but had formed various rumors among themselves anyway.“Niddhota, what are we to do with the troops?” Tarduk said. “And the scrolls?”“We shall use the true map and claim the Great Substance!” Niddhota proclaimed, raising his fist.“How? Tell our men ‘march into the Northern Frost!’ and not tell them how we know where to go?” Tarduk said, somewhat critically.“You’re right,” Niddhota said. “We will wait. But, when the time is right, Spherus Magna will belong to the Jungle Tribe!”----Not a week after handing the forest over, Niddhota, of course, went back on his word and sent his entire Jungle army back to the forest, taking the Vorox by storm. A Water Tribe battalion, led by Jekkedio, also arrived, and they attacked.After it all, the Lord of Jungle himself was surveying the area for survivors. He had seen that Field Commander Vastus had designed a crude trap which contained various members of the Sand and Water Tribes inside a deep pit.“Marvelous work, Vastus,” Niddhota praised.“Thank you,” Vastus said proudly. “But what shall become of the prisoners? Jekkedio takes prisoners of war personally, and everyone knows Vorox never talk, even when threatened with death.”Niddhota looked at the sparsely leafed trees which surrounded him. He then closed his eyes and felt the power of jungle flowing through him, strong as ever.“I have a very interesting idea,” he declared, smiling at the thought of a Forest of Blades.

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 7 “How close are we?” Vukotha asked. “I don’t know,” Vastus admitted. The woman put her hand on her hip. “Did you remember which map to use?” Vukotha said. “Yes, the black one,” Vastus said. It was just Vastus and Vukotha, sent by Niddhota, to secure a location near the Great Substance spring. After that, trackers in their armor would tell the Jungle Tribe army where to find them and take the spring for themselves. But, at the moment, they were taking a break in an underground room. “Vastus, I think there’s a bit of a hole in the Element Lord’s plan,” Vukotha said. “A hole? How?” Vastus said. “The point of it was to send just us two first, so that there wouldn’t be a huge fight if the Ice Tribe found us.” Vukotha sat down next to Vastus. “But we’re just two warriors. An entire army following afterwards might not be as inconspicuous,” Vukotha said. “Well, we’re almost there, so no point in going back now,” Vastus said. “If we don’t make it, I have something for you,” the female warrior said. “All right, what is it?” Vastus said. Vukotha said nothing, and just took her hand on his cheek and pushed his face to hers. She retracted her helmet, leaned forward, and kissed Vastus on the cheek for a good few seconds. Vastus, as a field commander, had felt joy and sorrow. But Vukotha kissing him made him happier than being crowned an honorary Great Being would. “So, what do we do, field commander?” Vukotha said, stroking his shoulder armor. “We proceed. Niddhota is Element Lord for a reason,” he proclaimed. ---- Gelu and Strakk stood in the presence of Knujo, the Element Lord of Ice. Knujo had been told that two Jungle fighters had been snooping around their subterranean tunnels, but he was skeptical. “Prove it,” Knujo said to their claim. “Check the security tapes,” Gelu suggested. Knujo stepped over to the tapes and placed one in. As it started rolling, they saw two warriors Knujo recognized as ranking Jungle Tribe warriors. The two retreated into the cave, sent a radio message back to Bota Magna, and then… kissed. Oddly enough, the two locked lips on the job. Knujo did not like the Jungle types, but had a respect for love, to a degree. As such, he would merely drive the two away for now rather than kill them. “And I am in charge of the battalion?” Strakk said, hoping Knujo would let him. “No,” the Element Lord said coldly. “I said I just wanted them out of my land, so they can still love… You wouldn’t even leave a pile of armor.” “Fine,” Strakk said, putting his ice axe away. “Certavus is away, and so I name Gelu in charge of the attack. Remember, we just want them away,” Knujo said. Gelu nodded, and ran off to organize it. “Since when do you care about love?” Strakk asked, mockingly curving his thumbs and index fingers into a heart. Knujo dropped his head. “Since… a girl I knew,” Knujo said uneasily. “Go on,” Strakk said. “Must I?” Knujo said. Strakk shrugged. “No, you don’t. I really don’t care, anyway,” Strakk said. “Just go for your lady if you need to.” “Moron! She’s dead!” the Element Lord raged. Then, turning away, he said, “It hurts. It never stops. It’s an endless curse I’d hate to put upon anyone, Jungle Tribe or otherwise. I’d give the Great Substance to anyone, be it the Jungle Tribe, the bone hunters, or the Great Beings if my pain would be rested.”

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 8 Knujo sat alone in his throne room. That is, the new one built outside the Great Substance’s spring. Outside, the Great Substance sat untouched. Around it, the strongest Ice Tribe soldiers stood guard. Not even a magna mouse would make it past. But that was outside Knujo’s soundproof room. Inside, it was only him, his throne, and his solitude. No doors, no windows. Only extremely small air holes and one hatch only he could unlock by scanning his eyes populated the room. Anyone else inside the room would have felt extreme loneliness. Some would be depressed severely by it. Others might go insane. But for Knujo, the solitude was pure bliss. He pulled out a gold sphere he had owned prior to becoming an Element Lord. It was magnificent, lined with gilded exsidian and bearing a warm, orange jewel in the center. It was a gift. But this was a place of solitude. It was to be nothing but loneliness. And you can’t be alone if you accept gifts. He clutched it in his armored hand and activated his endless power over ice, causing small shards of it to form within the sphere. Soon, the gift was colder than the bottom of the Great Sea, and cracks had started to form from the inside and reach their way to the surface. Angrily, Knujo held it over his head and hurled the frozen sphere to the ground, shattering it to a thousand tiny pieces. The jewel disintegrated into a pile of colored dust. He showed no hesitation in the action, and he showed none as he raised his foot and grinded the broken present into the floor. “I lost someone dearly close to me once,” Knujo reminded himself. “It’s an awful feeling. But I can’t lose anyone close to me if I keep everyone away.” ---- “Say that again,” Heremus said. “You heard me,” Angonce said. “Spherus Magna is doomed unless we can stop this war.” “Prove it,” Heremus demanded. Angonce nodded and walked to the center of the room they were in. Cut off from the other Great Beings while inside, Angonce and Heremus often came here to talk about private things. The experiment Angonce had made to prove his theory was a small model of Spherus Magna. There were magnetic little models to represent the various armies of the planet. Inside the planet replica, a silver liquid was oozing out of a hole in it, near where the Northern Frost replica was. “This liquid is very similar in properties to energized protodermis, although on a smaller scale. If I ignite it, it will trigger this liquid’s version of the destruction function of energized protodermis,” Angonce explained. “Now, tapping the power of energized protodermis does, for a fact, instigate the feature.” Just as Heremus was about to talk, Angonce began repeating the experiment. He moved the Fire Tribe in position around the substance, guessing they would seize if first due to their strong militia, and then pushed a model of the Element Lord of Fire a little bit closer. Upon touching the liquid, Angonce flipped a switch and Element Lord replica’s finger ignited, also igniting the substance. Like a bomb, the fiery energy made its way to the center of the replica and blew the replicated Spherus Magna to smithereens. Coming from anyone else, Heremus would have taken the presentation with a grain of sand. But Angonce was the absolute smartest person Heremus, and a lot of Great Beings, had ever known. The accepted custom was that, if Angonce said it, it was law. “Do you have any plans to combat this unsavory future?” Heremus asked. “Sadly, no. Our rallies to end the war peacefully have failed. I fear the end of Spherus Magna is upon us,” Angonce said, dropping his head. Now, Angonce saw Heremus smile. “Not quite,” he said. “This might be the only time you’re wrong.” Angonce looked puzzled, but Heremus looked confident as ever. Angonce knew this was another one of Heremus’ new designs.“You’re going to love these… maybe.” Heremus said. “Prototypes had already been released in the Battle of the Northern Frost, and they executed their function amazingly.” Angonce still looked skeptical as Heremus walked over to the door and tapped on it. Suddenly, the wall opened up to reveal a beetle-like creature with two thin, blue claws and whitish silver armor. “What is that poor animal? How long as he been up here?” Angonce asked, his natural sympathy for living creatures showing. Heremus laughed lightly. “It’s a robot!” Heremus said. “I haven’t come up with a suitable name for it yet. He’s programmed to attack any warrior. That is, he’ll kill anyone holding a weapon.” “Are you sure? The Element Lords are stubborn, and the soldiers would never listen to us over them, even when faced with death,” Angonce said. “So, we just sit back and let our home explode?” Heremus said. “Your little pep rallies have done nothing. And, hey, it’s not like it would be any worse than if we didn’t try.” “Fine. I’ll pitch the idea to the head of manufacturing,” Angonce relented. “I tell you, Angonce, these things’ll take Spherus Magna by storm. Soldiers get the idea, Core War over, everything’s happy!” Heremus promised. “Unless they don’t get the idea,” Angonce said sadly, looking at the shattered remains of the Spherus Magna recreation, and the little models of the inhabitants now broken.

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 9 The Northern Frost was in chaos. The Jungle Tribe had finally mounted their attack, which was larger than expected. The Sand Tribe had offered to help them if they were once again given control of the Forest of Blades. Niddhota accepted, although was still pondering if he actually would. But, now, the conjoined armies of Jungle and Sand were pulverizing the Ice Tribe. Gelu had almost been killed by the Vorox field commander, a savage yet brilliant warrior named Kabrua. Now, Strakk parried with Vastus inside a secluded ice cave. Strakk was carrying his ice axe, and Vastus had the venom talon, without the Thornax launcher it usually had latched to it. They had been silently fighting, Strakk being able to utilize the slippery environment, but Vastus having better training. “So I hear you scored with Vukotha,” Strakk said, skating towards Vastus. “I didn’t ‘score.’ I just kissed her,” Vastus said, hooking his staff onto Strakk’s back armor. Grounding himself as much as possible, he swung the Ice soldier around and smashed him into the spiked crystal-covered wall. Strakk pushed himself up, eyes seething with anger. “You’ll pay for that, gardener!” Strakk shouted, raising his axe above his head. However, a vine shot forward and struck his arm, the precision of the throw latching Strakk’s wrist to the crystal hanging from above. The ice axe dropped to the floor and slid beyond Strakk’s reach. Ignoring Strakk’s frustrated grunts, Vastus turned around to see Vukotha, the woman smiling and resting a hand on her hip. Her other hand glowed with the powerful energy of flora. “Thanks,” Vastus said. “That’s it? Nothing else for saving your life?” Vukotha laughed. Vastus walked forward and kissed her cheek. “Better?” Vastus asked. “It’s perfect,” Vukotha said. “We should get back to the battle,” Vastus said. “If we do that, we’d probably get slaughtered. The Jungle army is officially out of the fight,” Vukotha said. “That dirty Element Lord of Sand had a deal with Knujo all along! The Vorox betrayed us.” “Well, might as well just head back home,” Vastus said. He held his head in humiliation that he failed. “Don’t worry. Niddhota will understand,” Vukotha said, sitting on the ice next to him and hugging him. ---- Kabrua bowed in the presence of his Element Lord. He and the surviving members of the ambush on the Northern Frost were standing in front of a crowd of Vorox and Zesk, being commended for their heroics. “Members of the Sand Tribe, I urge you to look to these fine warriors for the prime example of perfection,” Gahara praised. “They are strong, powerful heroes of the Sand Tribe. Wish their names be remembered for all time.” A Zesk crawled up with a pack of weapons latched onto his back. Gahara took the contents out, which were half a dozen mechanical launchers. “Victors of the Sand Tribe, I present you with these weapons. They are force blasters, among the strongest of Spherus Magna’s weapon technology.” “Thank you, Element Lord,” Kabrua said, taking the first one. He shot a ball of gravitic energy into the sky, proclaiming, “Spherus Magna will belong to the Vorox!”

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 10 The robot opened its eyes. The two crystals glowed blue. The figure moved its two arms, making sure they worked. With some work, the robot walked around. Then, another figure entered. The figure was also a robot. However, the new robot carried a dagger. The first robot didn’t know why, but the dagger had a bad… vibe… to it. It was a tool… a weapon. It was to be eradicated. The robot took notice of the two large claws he had on each hand. Somehow, the clawed weapons it had seemed tolerable. The dagger-holder, however, was not. Instinctively running, the robot slashed the dagger-holder in two, and it fell to the ground. If a robot could be proud, this one would be. Now, two new beings entered the silver area. They had no weapons, only robes. The robot had nothing against robes. “Well done!” the first said. “We are the Great Beings, your creators.” “Creators. I shall serve my creators,” the robot declared. “This planet is enduring a war. This war will tear the planet apart. We have no choice but to kill all combatants,” the one said. The robot wasn’t really listening. He didn’t care why he was doing what he did, he only cared he did it. “Where are more bearers of weapons?” the robot asked. “Outside. Just look and do as you were programmed,” the second Great Being said. A massive door slid open to reveal an army of robots, beetle-like as the first one, waiting. ---- Malum moved his claws in front of his face, shading them. Any being felt intense heat when in the presence of Pyroer, the Element Lord of Fire. The blistering energy given off by his body was equaled only by his fiery personality. “What did you say?” the entity roared to Malum. “Um, the Water Tribe has taken Vulcanus,” Malum said hesitantly. Even he got nervous around Pyroer. “Vulcanus is Fire territory!” Pyroer shouted, slamming his fist on his throne’s armrest. “Who shall we send?” Malum asked, hoping for a new mission. “Ackar is on guard duty today, so I will send Paakio. You are to lead his brigade along with him,” Pyroer said. ---- Jekkedio smiled, staring into the lava pond of Vulcanus. Having driven the Fire army from this area, it was now property of the Element Lord of Water. There were plans underway to make a new irrigation system and turn the lava into a moat. Then, Berix ran to Jekkedio, his chest pounding. “Head General Jekkedio! The Fire Tribe is on the march!” Jekkedio barred his teeth. “They just don’t know when to stop.” Gripping his tsunami axe, the veteran blew into his horn to summon the troops just as red feet reached the lava river.

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 11Paakio found himself in a bad situation: between a horde of Water Tribe fighters, and short, armored beetle creatures.The Battle of Vulcanus was taking an odd turn. The shapeshifters which had initially been rare were now found throughout Spherus Magna, intercepting any battle.Suddenly, the ground shook, splashing some lava onto the battlefield. Suddenly, the fighting halted.“Look to the sky!” a Fire soldier said. The combatants looked in horror to see a massive blue sphere flying away from them. It took them a moment to realize it was Aqua Magna, about one-fifth of the planet. Something horrible was happening.----In the Northern Frost, a battle between Ice and Rock Tribe forces was interrupted by a similar quake, followed by the sight of Bota Magna flying into the sky.Tuma, a leading Skrall, ordered his men to stop. A Skrall who would later be called Stronius ran up to his leader.“Why?” he asked. “Why halt our progress, so close to victory?”“Something is happening. We must retreat,” Tuma said.Stronius growled. “I doubt we can make it to our home in such time.”“True, but the snowy area north of Bara Magna is close.”“That’s no better than here!”The taller Tuma glared angrily at Stronius. “I have my mind made.”Before the future Stronius could respond, Tuma raised his sword and aimed it south. The hundred or so Skrall picked up their weapons and started that way.With the Skrall gone, it would seem the Ice Tribe had won, despite a fragment of the planet flying away. Head General Certavus raised his sword proudly. He was interrupted, however, by the squire Kirbold.“Certavus, I have bad news,” Kirbold said. “It is of Bota Magna and, as it seems, Aqua Magna’s removal.”“Yes?”“Fire and Jungle Tribe forces have overtaken the Great Substance. The Fire Tribe tapped the power, and…”“Go on.”“It turns out the Great Beings were right after all. Tapping its power really does blow the planet up.”Now, the shaking of the ground strengthened.“Uh-oh,” an Ice warrior said as cracks started forming on the ground.----It was happening all across Spherus Magna. Cracks were forming, and silvery liquid leaking out. The disaster which was seconds away would go by many names, but the most common would be “the Shattering.”Now, Ackar stood, alone, outside the Fortress of Fire. Secretly built in the Black Spike Mountains, the Fortress had survived dozens of enemy attacks and the unstable nature of the Black Spikes. Designed by Ackar, he loved it as much he would his own child.But sorrow came in the form of cracks and silvery liquid seeping out, telling Ackar the Fortress of Fire would be a memory in a few minutes.Two artifacts of the war would survive: the Great Substance maps. Ackar flipped them out, one in each hand. He stole them from Bota Magna, with the Jungle Tribe fighting the Northern Frost. He didn’t know their full nature, but promised, in the name of Tyddak and his other fallen brothers, he would find out.

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

wastedpassionbanner.jpg

Chapter 12 Certavus, despite being the Head General of the Ice Tribe, had very little experience fighting in the sandy, scorching hot landscape of Bara Magna. Which made his day that much worse. “Just my luck,” he muttered to himself. “The one time Knujo listens to me, and sends me to infiltrate this blasted desert while the other tribes focus on us, the planet explodes!” “Brother, is that you?” a voice said. Certavus looked behind him to see a Water Tribe fighter he had parried with a few times during the war. He had gold armor, twin water blades, and a breathing tube. “Tarix?” Certavus asked. “The one and only!” the field commander said, his blue hand shading his eyes. “I can tell you’re not used to this, either.” ---- Tarix led Certavus back to a small settlement consisting of a few other warriors and Agori, including Raanu, a high-ranking Fire Agori, Berix, an outcast Water Agori, Malum, a brutal Fire warrior, and Gresh, a young Jungle Tribesman. “Well, I’m sure you all know Certavus,” Tarix said upon returning. Gresh and the Agori bowed in respect, but Malum made a face conveying well his desire to beat the general into the sand. Next, a Jungle Agori crawling on all four legs approached from the north. Gresh alone recognized him. “Tarduk? You survived?” he said. “Yes, me and some other. Follow me. They said they wish to speak with Certavus.” ---- Soon, Agori and soldiers of all tribes had congregated together near Iron Canyon. Most of them were of the Fire, Water, Jungle, and Ice Tribes. Little of the Rock Tribe had been heard of; rumors were spawned that they had claimed the northern lands as theirs. Only a few Zesk were present, as the rest of the Sand Tribe, desert natives already, were rebuilding their homes. On a makeshift podium, Ackar stood. Behind him were Certavus, Vastus, and Tarix. “Former citizens of Spherus Magna and now Bara Magna,” the Fire soldier called, “a new chapter in our history has commenced.” Now, Vastus stood up and walked next to Ackar. “From this day forth, to avoid yet another disastrous war, conflicts over the sparse remaining resources will be settled via an arena match. Two representative fighters, one for each opposing village, will meet in the arena and fight using their wits, tools, and Thornax launchers. The winner wins the resources for his or her tribe.” The faces of Vastus’ audience showed mixed reactions to this. “It is a biased fight. The Fire Tribe will crush us all with their forgery skills.” “No, the Ice Tribe will dominate these arenas. They have the best fighters.” “Why can’t we all just share?” “Silence!” Ackar shouted. “I understand your concerns, but really...” “Do you want the planet to explode again?” Vastus finished. That seemed to get the audience to quiet down. “The match representatives will be known as Glatorian. May the Glatorian bear their title with honor, and be aware any infraction of the Glatorian Creed, written by myself, can result in exile,” Tarix said. “But this is also a time of rejoice,” Certavus said warmly. “We have learned from our mistakes and are avoiding war. We, the people of Spherus Magna, are succeeding where the Element Lords failed. Let us clear our minds to make room for new, peaceful memories, but never forget out wasted passion.” The End

Review

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg