Ninjago 2012 Sets

unknown_user2596

Somebody asked my a while back what type of snake Pythor is, and he is most certainly based off of a reticulated python. This also explains why Pythor is huge, because reticulated pythons are the largest snake on average.The way his mouth opens in his minifgure resembles this image of a reticulated python's jaw:3993034756_3dcfd54ba8.jpgHere is a close-up of a Sulawesi Reticulated Python's head, which is much like Pythor's:5249670945_10d8ce67cb.jpgAnd here is the Pythor minifigure for comparison: EDIT: The image I linked to was removed, so I have to find a new one.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Even if his mouth looks like a reticulated python's, I'm still not a fan of it. >_>EDIT: After looking at a clearer picture, I think that the jaw is actually cool. Eh, I'd still like his minifigure whether or not he had that jaw, anyway. xPStill, that Epic Dragon Battle keeps looking better and better; I think I'll wait for a BOGO sale to get it and the Ultra Sonic Raider.

Edited by Squishypony

overlordsukapon.png

I find TLG's decision to divide the four tribes into two different waves interesting. I love the constrictai and their head mould. I think that mould will be useful to me for so of my upcoming MOC's.

Actually,the 5 tribes,but Pythor was part of the anacondai tribe,and they ate each other until only Pythor was left.-CDP

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

I find TLG's decision to divide the four tribes into two different waves interesting. I love the constrictai and their head mould. I think that mould will be useful to me for so of my upcoming MOC's.

Actually,the 5 tribes,but Pythor was part of the anacondai tribe,and they ate each other until only Pythor was left.-CDP
Also, it's not completely divided in that way, because Mezmo of the Hypnobrai Tribe is being released in the next upcoming wave, and Lasha of the Venomari Tribe was released in the most-recent wave.Also, of this wave's spinner sets, I highly recommend Lasha. His detail is great, and his spinner looks beautiful.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Speaking of spinners, this year's batch seems to sell very well. Kendo Zane and Lasha have been de-listed from S@H already (basically sold out for good!) and Samurai X is listed as "call to check availability". Even though the booster packs are still there, they are very hard to find in stores as well...

I found all of the booster packs at Wal-Mart, and bought them for a decent price ~$5.Also, if you'd like to see the detail on the spinners, I've been extracting vecto images of spinners and uploading them to The Ninjago Wiki. I get them from the Spinner instructions if you were wondering. Check here.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 2 weeks later...

I am excited for the booster packs. It appears to be a fairly easy way to get a bunch of useful snake figures and get a decent amount of them. I can see the Skalidor head coming in handy for many of my MOC's as well as Acidicus. I wonder what the exclusive set(s) are for the summer? Assuming they have some. Last year we fot the Lightning Dragon battle a good $80 priced set. Assuming they stick to that price point we could see a fairly large exclusive yet to be revealed. I would enjoy a set featuring bigger serpentine architecture.

Do you want to have a theme revolving around mythical beasts? If you do please support my Dragon Slayers project on CUUSOO link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7694

BZPRPG profile:

http://www.bzpower.c...opic=123&st=120

My latest MOC! http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9379

I am excited for the booster packs. It appears to be a fairly easy way to get a bunch of useful snake figures and get a decent amount of them. I can see the Skalidor head coming in handy for many of my MOC's as well as Acidicus. I wonder what the exclusive set(s) are for the summer? Assuming they have some. Last year we fot the Lightning Dragon battle a good $80 priced set. Assuming they stick to that price point we could see a fairly large exclusive yet to be revealed. I would enjoy a set featuring bigger serpentine architecture.

Regarding sets with more Serpentine architecture-- yes please! The little shrines we've gotten so far, as well as the two-headed snake prison in the Epic Dragon Battle set, are all very nice, but it would be excellent to see something more substantial, int he same vein as last year's Fire Temple but with the architecture seen in the Serpentine ruins.I wonder what other potential content store exclusives might explore later in the year. Naturally there might be ones that include spinners. Retailers seem to like spinners-- all of the store exclusives last year included spinners, and one of this year's is an actual spinner arena. However, playsets like Nuckal's ATV or Lightning Dragon Battle that include a spinner simply as a "bonus" seem to be a thing of the past.One also has to wonder whether content in a store exclusive set would be inspired by (or the inspiration for) content in the TV show. The TV show has had a lot of locations with no set corresponding to them, and there's plenty of room for location-based sets. There aren't many vehicles in the show that seem really designed to be toys which haven't yet appeared in sets, though, and vehicles are such a big part of this year's Ninjago lineup (and since vehicles in general sell pretty well in most themes) that I can hardly imagine a store exclusive playset without one.

I think a cool store exclusive set would be some sort of building for the snakes, perhaps with the Anacondrai staff and that cool Serpentine double-decker bus. Maybe some sort of Ouroboros building, with lots of brick-bricks?I don't know, I'm probably a little too optimistic here. xP

overlordsukapon.png

Yes, I recommend you get them, because they are a good part stimulus. I've gotten 9551 Kendo Cole, 9552 Lloyd Garmadon, and 9553 Jay ZX. Just be sure you have a 2012 spinner as well, or else you miss out on half the fun. 9562 Lasha is a good spinner set, but I'll leave the spinner decision up to you.

I think a cool store exclusive set would be some sort of building for the snakes, perhaps with the Anacondrai staff and that cool Serpentine double-decker bus. Maybe some sort of Ouroboros building, with lots of brick-bricks?I don't know, I'm probably a little too optimistic here. xP

Yes, a store exclusive would by nice, especially of one of the tombs; maybe even a set that kind of combines the features of the tombs and that includes the generals would be cool. If there was to be a store exclusive in the mid-to-late-2012 sets, I'd strongly hope that it would include Pythor, because so far he only appears in one set (9449 Ultra Sonic Raider). I'd especially want an Anacondrai staff, seeing as we have no image of what the Anacondrai emblem is.As for your suggestion of the Ouroboros building, I'm pretty sure that the temple-like structure in set 9450 Epic Dragon Battle is supposed to resemble something of that sort, seeing as the Great Devourer is situated in Ouroboros. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Regarding sets with more Serpentine architecture-- yes please! The little shrines we've gotten so far, as well as the two-headed snake prison in the Epic Dragon Battle set, are all very nice, but it would be excellent to see something more substantial, int he same vein as last year's Fire Temple but with the architecture seen in the Serpentine ruins. One also has to wonder whether content in a store exclusive set would be inspired by (or the inspiration for) content in the TV show. The TV show has had a lot of locations with no set corresponding to them, and there's plenty of room for location-based sets. There aren't many vehicles in the show that seem really designed to be toys which haven't yet appeared in sets, though, and vehicles are such a big part of this year's Ninjago lineup (and since vehicles in general sell pretty well in most themes) that I can hardly imagine a store exclusive playset without one.
I agree with all of that. The problem is that TLG seems to be taking a vehicle approach to this years ninjago sets. I really hope we do get some of the beutiful snake architecture though. There is so much potential there. A ruins styled sets with traps rigged by the serpentine might be a option. Similar to the traps in the TV show at Ouroboros. Most of the sets from the TV show seem to have been made for the most part though. I am holding out for some new exclusive set used in the later episodes. The snake mech does not seem to have been in a episode yet though (correct me if I am wrong.) I think at minimum we can expect one more exclusive before the year ends.

Yes, I recommend you get them, because they are a good part stimulus. I've gotten 9551 Kendo Cole, 9552 Lloyd Garmadon, and 9553 Jay ZX. Just be sure you have a 2012 spinner as well, or else you miss out on half the fun. 9562 Lasha is a good spinner set, but I'll leave the spinner decision up to you.Yes, a store exclusive would by nice, especially of one of the tombs; maybe even a set that kind of combines the features of the tombs and that includes the generals would be cool. If there was to be a store exclusive in the mid-to-late-2012 sets, I'd strongly hope that it would include Pythor, because so far he only appears in one set (9449 Ultra Sonic Raider). I'd especially want an Anacondrai staff, seeing as we have no image of what the Anacondrai emblem is.As for your suggestion of the Ouroboros building, I'm pretty sure that the temple-like structure in set 9450 Epic Dragon Battle is supposed to resemble something of that sort, seeing as the Great Devourer is situate in Ouroboros.

I am holding out on the booster packs until the Snake ones come out. I might pick up the starter set because it comes with my favorite ninja Cole. I want to get the Samurai X spinner also.If they do come out with a large exlusive I want to see some of the generals in it. Except for Skales each of them is only in one set. I would like to see more opportunities to get them in different sets.

Do you want to have a theme revolving around mythical beasts? If you do please support my Dragon Slayers project on CUUSOO link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7694

BZPRPG profile:

http://www.bzpower.c...opic=123&st=120

My latest MOC! http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9379

I just noticed something about the snake molds; when held as a weapon make the spinner impossible to spin. They go a short distance, spin crazily in place and stops. Same goes to Lasha's chained weapon.

What do you mean? Are you talking about the spinner crown or are you talking about the vipers?I haven't experienced problems with the spinner crowns, or the "under-body weapons" for that matter. Sometimes weapons have cause slight difficulties in spinning, but that usually is easy to deal with. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I just noticed something about the snake molds; when held as a weapon make the spinner impossible to spin. They go a short distance, spin crazily in place and stops. Same goes to Lasha's chained weapon.

What do you mean? Are you talking about the spinner crown or are you talking about the vipers?I haven't experienced problems with the spinner crowns, or the "under-body weapons" for that matter. Sometimes weapons have cause slight difficulties in spinning, but that usually is easy to deal with.
I was referring to the viper molds. They make the spinner really hard to spin properly.

What do you mean? Are you talking about the spinner crown or are you talking about the vipers?I haven't experienced problems with the spinner crowns, or the "under-body weapons" for that matter. Sometimes weapons have cause slight difficulties in spinning, but that usually is easy to deal with.
I was referring to the viper molds. They make the spinner really hard to spin properly.
Hmm. I guess I see why. I'm sure theirs a way to position them to make it easier, but it'd be hard to explain how.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

BTW, does the USR have a new brick seperator?

I think it does. I don't have one of those new brick separators, so I'll be glad if it does.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 3 weeks later...

I think it does. I don't have one of those new brick separators, so I'll be glad if it does.
It's adapted to remove Technic parts and the new angles make it easier for MOCs.Also, the Great Devourer has very little articulation. It's just a giant brick-bult viper. Which ruins the playability. They should have at least given it enough articulation to lunge at Destiny's Bounty.

aouROFb.png

It's adapted to remove Technic parts and the new angles make it easier for MOCs.Also, the Great Devourer has very little articulation. It's just a giant brick-bult viper. Which ruins the playability. They should have at least given it enough articulation to lunge at Destiny's Bounty.
As I've mentioned before, the lack of articulation in the Great Devourer is pretty essential for giving it any pose where it's not just flat on the ground. The giant cobra in Pharaoh's Quest was notorious for not being able to support its own weight in any "reared up" position except by coiling around the included obelisk, and the Great Devourer is even bigger than that. To be fair, having now seen the episode it's in, the Devourer actually seems to have trouble holding itself off the ground in-story. Pretty much the only time it gets its head up off the ground is when it's lunging or erupting from the earth. In any case, I doubt it'd be too hard to moderator so that it could be given more poseability.As a side note, after seeing the penultimate episode of the season I'll be disappointed if that Serpentine truck-train-thing isn't released as a retailer-exclusive set. That thing is awesome.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

As I've mentioned before, the lack of articulation in the Great Devourer is pretty essential for giving it any pose where it's not just flat on the ground. The giant cobra in Pharaoh's Quest was notorious for not being able to support its own weight in any "reared up" position except by coiling around the included obelisk, and the Great Devourer is even bigger than that. To be fair, having now seen the episode it's in, the Devourer actually seems to have trouble holding itself off the ground in-story. Pretty much the only time it gets its head up off the ground is when it's lunging or erupting from the earth. In any case, I doubt it'd be too hard to moderator so that it could be given more poseability.As a side note, after seeing the penultimate episode of the season I'll be disappointed if that Serpentine truck-train-thing isn't released as a retailer-exclusive set. That thing is awesome.
Yes, the set Great Devourer is just a huge viper, and the only accurate details are the silver fangs. The neck thing doesn't go all the way around the neck, the tail spike is missing, the support makes it impossible to put it in an accurate pose! Actually, in real life, aren't cobras the only type of snake that actually rears up, necessary for displaying the hood? Other generic snakes at most just tilt their heads up a little bit, like the Great Devourer, most snakes don't rear up like the Ninjago vipers. Have the set designers ever even seen the Great Devourer?

aouROFb.png

Yes, the set Great Devourer is just a huge viper, and the only accurate details are the silver fangs. The neck thing doesn't go all the way around the neck, the tail spike is missing, the support makes it impossible to put it in an accurate pose! Actually, in real life, aren't cobras the only type of snake that actually rears up, necessary for displaying the hood? Other generic snakes at most just tilt their heads up a little bit, like the Great Devourer, most snakes don't rear up like the Ninjago vipers. Have the set designers ever even seen the Great Devourer?
I'm almost certain that as is usually the case with things like this, the Great Devourer was designed in set form first and the appearance in the TV show was based on the set. So no, the set designers had never seen the Great Devourer, since they're most likely the ones who created its "look" in the first place.Granted, the Great Devourer's set form might not have been finalized when the character model for the TV show was created, but it has to be remembered that the TV show is created to promote the toys, not the other way around.

I'm almost certain that as is usually the case with things like this, the Great Devourer was designed in set form first and the appearance in the TV show was based on the set. So no, the set designers had never seen the Great Devourer, since they're most likely the ones who created its "look" in the first place.Granted, the Great Devourer's set form might not have been finalized when the character model for the TV show was created, but it has to be remembered that the TV show is created to promote the toys, not the other way around.
The Devourer's set form resembles an earlier CG model we saw in "Tick Tock" than the one in "Day of the Great Devourer". This goes along well with what Aanchir said.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The Devourer's set form resembles an earlier CG model we saw in "Tick Tock" than the one in "Day of the Great Devourer". This goes along well with what Aanchir said.
That link is broken...

aouROFb.png

That link is broken...
Eh, we are having server difficulties today and yesterday. There was a DDoS attack on our host, which has effected our site as well. You should be able to get in if you refresh the page.In Wu's flashback on how Garmadon turned evil, at the time where he said "that the beast would continue to grow...", that's the CG model I'm speaking of. (try this link. if it doesn't work, refresh.)The EARLIEST of artwork for the Ninjago storyline that shows the Devourer is practically an exact replica of the set; this being the concept art of the statue in Ouroboros. (again, if you can't get in to the site, try refreshing.)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

That link is broken...
Eh, we are having server difficulties today and yesterday. There was a DDoS attack on our host, which has effected our site as well. You should be able to get in if you refresh the page.In Wu's flashback on how Garmadon turned evil, at the time where he said "that the beast would continue to grow...", that's the CG model I'm speaking of. (try this link. if it doesn't work, refresh.)The EARLIEST of artwork for the Ninjago storyline that shows the Devourer is practically an exact replica of the set; this being the concept art of the statue in Ouroboros. (again, if you can't get in to the site, try refreshing.)
Refreshing isn't helping.

aouROFb.png

That link is broken...
It should work now, it does for me.Nice concept art, and there is even more where it is from! :) Checking it out right now.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

That link is broken...
It should work now, it does for me.Nice concept art, and there is even more where it is from! :) Checking it out right now.-Gata signoff.jpg
If you wanna see concept art for storyline, sets, LEGO Universe/Ninjago stuff, etc, we have a category full of it. Feel free to look through it all through this link.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

We've also gotten an official Wave 3 spinner set commercial, showing Spitta, Fangdam, NRG Jay, and NRG Cole. Watch it on The Ninjago Wiki. http://ninjas.brickc...rcial_Uncovered

Finalized Zane ZX packagingFinalized Mezmo packagingFinalized Spitta packagingFinalized NRG Jay packagingFinalized Fangdam packagingCredit goes to unnamed forum site.Apparently NRG ninja (900 SP) are weaker than ZX ones (1100 SP) :blink:

I love some of those weapons, especially that the 'Shurikenkabob' as I like to call it when they are put on a staff now has a chain and spike on it. Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

9591 Weapon Pack (release date given as June 2012 at Toy Fair) is now available on Amazon.com! I think it's a good set if you like the concept of the spinners but don't like their high price, as it essentially has the contents of two spinners and two booster packs (albeit with just ten cards and two minifigures) for just twice the price of a regular spinner set. Plus, the NRG Kai figure included is as far as we know exclusive to this set. And the gold lightsaber handles (which so far have only appeared in the NRG Ninja spinner sets) are a great piece to have-- this set has two of them!Lots of big images on the Amazon page for your viewing pleasure. The best detail in these pictures that we didn't see at Toy Fair is the gorgeousness of the NRG Kai character card.

9591 Weapon Pack (release date given as June 2012 at Toy Fair) is now available on Amazon.com! I think it's a good set if you like the concept of the spinners but don't like their high price, as it essentially has the contents of two spinners and two booster packs (albeit with just ten cards and two minifigures) for just twice the price of a regular spinner set. Plus, the NRG Kai figure included is as far as we know exclusive to this set. And the gold lightsaber handles (which so far have only appeared in the NRG Ninja spinner sets) are a great piece to have-- this set has two of them!Lots of big images on the Amazon page for your viewing pleasure. The best detail in these pictures that we didn't see at Toy Fair is the gorgeousness of the NRG Kai character card.

So here is our first Constrictai Tribe member that's become available. I'd love to get this set, just because of the coolness and I can't wait till summer. Looking at several newly released images, the card art for all these upcoming characters in sets is amazing. I still am desperate to find the artist(s) behind the card art.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Am I the only one sad that there will be no Snike character card out of everyone else?Nice find! I'm trying to resist the temptation to order it now, but since this year's spinner sets have a shelf life no more than 2 months, it's hard to hold off for 2 more months. I'm trying to collect all the 2012 cards at the moment, thus the temptation. Also, it looks like a different Constrictai background is being used here. Compare to the one used in the Rattlecopter set--I don't know why they changed it, the old one is fine as it is.

Am I the only one sad that there will be no Snike character card out of everyone else?

You're not the only one. The card art is usually my favorite depiction of characters for the wiki, but unfortunately not all characters get cards. Last year, both Samukai and Jay DX went without cards, even though I know they had similar character art (which appeared on the back of some sets they were in). This year the same issue has arisen with Snike, all five generals, and the new Sensei Wu and Lord Garmadon. Part of why I hope to find the people responsible for this amazing art is so that we can hopefully obtain high-res images of at least some of this "missing" art.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother