Ninjago 2012 Sets

unknown_user2596

hey guys, an honest yet probably dumb-sounding question herei've been interested in buying a couple of the NRG ninjas blah blah blah doesn't really matter. my question is what NRG actually stands for, if anything. i can't figure it out for the life of me
NRG is a pun on energy. Each ninja in there true potiential is made of there respective elemental energyHey I want to know if the 2012 spinners can be taken apart. I want to replace the silver bottom of my Samurai X spinner with a black gunmetal or gold one.Are there any 2012 spinners that have black gunmetal or gold bottoms.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Hey I want to know if the 2012 spinners can be taken apart. I want to replace the silver bottom of my Samurai X spinner with a black gunmetal or gold one.Are there any 2012 spinners that have black gunmetal or gold bottoms.
Yes they are able to be taken apart. I'm pretty sure there are screws in some inset holes on the bottom. If not try looking inside one of the transparent ones to see if you can figure it out.Here are spinners you are looking for:

And a tip for the future, don't make two consecutive posts. It's somewhere in the policy. Somewhere. You can just edit your first post to include your additional post in it. ;)

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Hey I want to know if the 2012 spinners can be taken apart. I want to replace the silver bottom of my Samurai X spinner with a black gunmetal or gold one.Are there any 2012 spinners that have black gunmetal or gold bottoms.
Yes they are able to be taken apart. I'm pretty sure there are screws in some inset holes on the bottom. If not try looking inside one of the transparent ones to see if you can figure it out.Here are spinners you are looking for:

And a tip for the future, don't make two consecutive posts. It's somewhere in the policy. Somewhere. You can just edit your first post to include your additional post in it. ;)

I own the Samurai X spinner and I've looked at the bottom. There are no screw just these wierd pegs. I think they need to be pushed to take the spinner apart. But I want to be sure so I don't break by spinnerHere is a pic of the bottom of the spinner. It has a little wear as I tried to push the pins but I didn't go any farther than that.http://upload.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/001.jpg

I've got a good deal of spinners. If I remember correctly, I have 6 2012 spinners, so I'll try to look into how you take them apart sometime this weekend.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I've got a good deal of spinners. If I remember correctly, I have 6 2012 spinners, so I'll try to look into how you take them apart sometime this weekend.
So any luck on taking apart the 2012 spinners.

Oh right. I'm pretty sure you're on the right track with the pegs, but from the looks of it, they'll need to be pushed all at once (so that as you push one, the others don't break under stress), and really hard at that. You might need some assistance doing it unless you have an inhuman number of hands. I can't get it apart myself. Good luck.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Oh right. I'm pretty sure you're on the right track with the pegs, but from the looks of it, they'll need to be pushed all at once (so that as you push one, the others don't break under stress), and really hard at that. You might need some assistance doing it unless you have an inhuman number of hands. I can't get it apart myself. Good luck.
Ok thanks. I might try to find a way to take them apart. But I think I'd would get another samurai x spinner so I don't break the one I have.

So, what do you guys think is the coolest NRG ninja besides Jay? Is it a better idea to buy Cole NRG/Zane NRG and two Booster Packs or the Kai NRG Weapon Pack set?It's too bad we don't have any NRG ninja Booster Packs (yet).
I like NRG Zane because Zane has always been my favorite character. For the sets, get the Weapon Pack because you get tons of parts out of it. Plus, it comes with 2 spinners. Edited by FrozenFlash

pWPTu7m.jpg

So, what do you guys think is the coolest NRG ninja besides Jay? Is it a better idea to buy Cole NRG/Zane NRG and two Booster Packs or the Kai NRG Weapon Pack set?It's too bad we don't have any NRG ninja Booster Packs (yet).
The Weapon Pack is a tremendously good value-- pretty much like two booster packs plus two spinner sets for the value of two spinner sets, except the cards aren't doubled. I'd definitely recommend getting that rather than two spinners and two booster packs, because otherwise you're basically paying $10 just for ten more cards and two more minifigures.After that, NRG Cole stands out very nicely from the other two NRG Ninja. Plus, NRG Zane is likely to be on store shelves for longer than either of those sets since he was a September release rather than a June release. With that in mind I'd recommend getting him last, once you've saved up enough money to finish your NRG collection of course.One thing that should be noted, though, is that Chokun (the Serpentine who comes in the weapon pack) also comes in Epic Dragon Battle. If you want to avoid unnecessary duplicates, either only get one of the two sets or find someone to trade with. I gave my Chokun figure from the Weapon Pack to my younger brother for his Ninjago display, whereas he in turn gave me some of his extra Serpentine emblem tiles (so that I could swap them with the Hypnobrai tiles on my extra Serpentine staffs).

Well, I wound up getting NRG Zane, Mezmo, Bytar, Lyod ZX and Kendo Cole. Getting the Weapon Pack Set would've been a better idea, but I really don't like the snake in that set. I was just going to get Mezmo and only really because my little brother liked it too, but things got a little out of control. I don't even like the spinners.I'm really disappointed we didn't get any good small sets. Of course there was Zane ZX, but my little brother already got that. So, I'm kinda glad I got Lyod ZX because we didn't have the green ninja and now we have a different coloured swordholder too.I hope we get more small sets next year. We had a lot of them during the very first wave and I never understood why Lego started to focus on the bigger sets.

Edited by Mutated_Brutaka

brutaka.jpg

Well, I wound up getting NRG Zane, Mezmo, Bytar, Lyod ZX and Kendo Cole. Getting the Weapon Pack Set would've been a better idea, but I really don't like the snake in that set. I was just going to get Mezmo and only really because my little brother liked it too, but things got a little out of control. I don't even like the spinners.I'm really disappointed we didn't get any good small sets. Of course there was Zane ZX, but my little brother already got that. So, I'm kinda glad I got Lyod ZX because we didn't have the green ninja and now we have a different coloured swordholder too.I hope we get more small sets next year. We had a lot of them during the very first wave and I never understood why Lego started to focus on the bigger sets.
Maybe not too many people bought the small sets in 2011 because those with around $10 to spend bought the spinner sets. With that in mind there might have been even fewer small sets this year due to the introduction of the even more affordable booster packs, which might cannibalize the sales of similarly-priced sets.

Maybe not too many people bought the small sets in 2011 because those with around $10 to spend bought the spinner sets. With that in mind there might have been even fewer small sets this year due to the introduction of the even more affordable booster packs, which might cannibalize the sales of similarly-priced sets.
Yeah, the spinners do seem to be the big selling point.

brutaka.jpg

Yeah, the spinners do seem to be the big selling point.
Though oddly, another trend that has been showing up in this year's sets is that there are far fewer typical boxed sets that include spinners. Last year, pretty much every retailer-exclusive set and some non-exclusive sets included spinners: for instance, the non-exclusive sets Mountain Shrine and Spinjitzu Dojo and the exclusive sets Nuckal's ATV, Skeleton Bowling, Ninja Battle Arena, and Lightning Dragon Battle all contained spinners. And only a few of those sets were strictly arena-based!This year, the only non-blister-pack set to include spinners is the new Spinner Battle Arena, which like this year's blister-pack Starter Set and Training Set is arena-based.I'm guessing that TLG observed some trends in which sets sold well in 2011. It makes sense that the kids interested in spinner sets would want a fairly plain arena without too many frills for the sake of competitive fairness (and of course cost). The blister pack sets that show off the size and appearance of the spinners also have an advantage in terms of shelf appeal compared to boxed sets where the spinner isn't even the set's main asset.Another factor could be that many of the boxed sets from 2011 which included spinners were designed to be bought in multiples (or combined with friends' sets) to form complete arenas. Examples of this include the Spinjitzu Dojo, Mountain Shrine, Ninja Battle Arena, and Skeleton Bowling sets (a non=spinner example in the same vein is the Ninja Training Outpost. But again, TLG could probably see that few people were buying these sets in multiples, and so stopped doing that in this year's sets (besides the Training Set, which is designed to be added to an arena).Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the spinner sets, which at least in the case of the blister-pack ones tend to be very costly. I don't think it's an unfair cost, as the spinner sets include lots of pre-assembled components and printed elements, but I still prefer getting Ninjago minifigures in the model sets over getting them in the spinner sets whenever possible.At the same time, I have a real soft spot for the spinners. They're fun to use, whether in the intended spinner game or just for unguided play. Last year I had lots of fun experimenting with which collectible minifigures had particular advantages on the spinners, as well as practicing silly techniques like the head spin or just building different constructions onto the spinners to allow them to spin differently. Put one of these on a spinner and it spins just as well upside-down as right-side-up!Also, the spinners have really incredible designs. I liked them already in 2011 when they had elementally-charged graphic designs surrounding the character emblems, but this year the spinners have lots of connection points that allow for even more creative play, and the June wave of spinners introduced spinners for the NRG Ninja that actually felt like proper whirlwinds of elemental energy. That doesn't even get into how cool the various spinner crowns look, or how hilariously awesome it looks when weapons from the booster packs to the bottoms of the spinners to give the impression that assorted weapons and/or snakes got caught in the tornado to form a protective barrier.So in general, I don't like getting the spinner sets when I can avoid it, but I love the spinners themselves and the set designs that complement them. I don't regret getting any of the spinners I own.