Spherus Magna's size?

I was bored.Anyway, let's start by looking at this image of Mata Nui crashing onto Aqua Magna in one of the comics:SeLIA.jpgThe red line marks the point on the planet's circumference that is at 0 degrees from our perspective. By looking at the slope of the planet as it leaves our view, we can estimate the portion of the circumference between the image's edge and the red line to be ~22.5 degrees. Looking at a protractor or other measurable circular object for a second will convince you that a completely horizontal line from the 0-degree point to the point directly about the 22.5-degree point is 1/4 of a circle's radius, so we can assume that Aqua Magna's radius is 4x the distance between the red line and the image's edge. I have measured that length and found that it is 722 pixels, so Aqua Magna's radius is 2,888 pixels. In order to convert pixels to feet/miles, we can look at the yellow line, which is the length of the Great Spirit Robot's lower arm (it isn't much closer to the "camera" than the planet, so we probably don't have to worry about illusions of diminishing size). Since we know the height of the Great Spirit Robot (40 million feet), we can look at this picture4aJTQ.pngand compare the lower arm's length (blue line) to the height of the torso/head section, which is about half the robot's height (green line). Since the green line is 345 pixels-b (we're using the "pixels-b" mesurement because this image is a different scale than the other one) long and the blue one is 145 pixels-b long, we can calculate that 1 pixel-b = 20,000,000 (half the height of the robot)/345 or about 57,971 feet (10.98 miles). Now that we know that, we can determine that the lower arm is 10.98x145 or 1,592.1 miles long. Divide that by 44, the length in pixels of the lower arm in the first image, and we determine that 1 pixel is about 36.185 miles. Multiply that by 2,888 and we get 104,502.28 miles as the approximate radius of Aqua Magna. Now, the only thing we have left to do is look at this imagefkMXs.pngof the entire system in The Legend Reborn. The orange line (Aqua Magna's radius) is 6 pixels-c long and the purple one (Bara Magna/Spherus Magna's radius, they're the same because the space the other two fragments fill is just two holes on either side) is 56 pixels-c long, so Spherus Magna's radius is 28/3x as great as Aqua Magna's. 104,502.28 multiplied by 28/3 is ~975,354.613, so Spherus Magna's approximate radius is 975,354.613 miles. That is mind-blowingly huge. It's almost 11 times larger than the radius of Jupiter, meaning that it should be impossible for anything, robotic or organic, to live on it, assuming it has more or less the same composition as Earth. Even if we take into account the EP core and assume that EP has a very low density, the planet is still so massive that anything that set foot on it would be instantly crushed. Then again, though, this is Bionicle physics, so I think we can forgive it.I apologize for any errors in my calculations that have gone unnoticed. I have checked it over thoroughly, though, so I doubt any major errors have been made. Regardless of the exact, precise size, though, my point that the planet should be too large for anything to live on still stands. I would appreciate any feedback that people have to give.(Images taken from BS01 and modified with MS Paint.)

• Upvote 2

R8aOQ.jpg

so massive that anything that set foot on it would be instantly crushed
Just so you know, although the exact size isn't known, it is common knowledge that SM is indeed extremely huge; this is why I have theorized before that there is something (probably core rock modified by the EP) that absorbs any gravity over a certain intensity, so it always has Earth gravity -- including all its fragments.We do know that it's made of normal real-world material, and density can't account for it -- it would have to be a highly diffuse gas planet basically, or even just a nebula, for that to work. But another possibility, since it's a fictional universe, is that matter simply emits far less gravity there. I think this is unlikely because both Bara Magna and Aqua Magna are portrayed as having Earth gravity, and the difference between their sizes is huge. So I think the absorption explanation is the only one that makes sense.As to the exact size, I only skimmed your calculations for now, but it appears you're relying on art for the premises of your reasoning, and artistic license could easily be at work with those. This is especially obvious with the second image, of the giant robot standing with clouds reaching up only to his chest; that is well known to be way too small scale, and nearly all other portrayals show them more at about ankle height.So, just want to point out that even if you calculated everything right, we have no way to know if the initial input is correct.
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

so massive that anything that set foot on it would be instantly crushed
Just so you know, although the exact size isn't known, it is common knowledge that SM is indeed extremely huge; this is why I have theorized before that there is something (probably core rock modified by the EP) that absorbs any gravity over a certain intensity, so it always has Earth gravity -- including all its fragments.
Ooooh! As someone whose suspension of disbelief snapped when I found out the height of the Mata Nui robot, I like this absorption idea. It goes a long way to making the last year of Bionicle as easy to believe in as the rest. I think I'll incorporate it into my personal canon until such time as GregF either says that's what happened or gives a different explanation.That still makes for a mind-blowingly massive surface area, no matter how big Spherus Magna actually turns out to be... Oh Mata Nui, I may have to rethink that germinating idea to make reasonable maps of all the places. (I could probably -- probably -- restrict myself to just the Koro and Metru. Koros? Metrus? Feh, that's what I've always said but now I can't remember if they're the actual correct pluralization. They're definitely off topic, though.)
  • Upvote 1

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Probably some anti-graviton energized protodermis gravatational negation field that the GBs put in place.
Considering that the Spherus Magnans weren't created by the GBs......which would sort of imply that they were there before the GBs were......and then crushing gravity would kill them......unlikely. It's possible that the GBs brought the Agori/Glatorian from some other planet, but the story seems to imply otherwise.
  • Upvote 1