Marendar Unit

joev14

Hey guys. I am back with another model. I consider this to be one of my best works. It is my representation of the Marendar, or the Toa Killer as some of you may know, as it appears in The Yesterday Quest. (Link in my signature)An explanation about the storyline behind the model: The Marendar has five optical sensors, one on the front, one on the back, one on each side, and one on top, making it so that it has almost 3 dimensional dome vision. It's only blind spot is a small area right behind it's feet. It's weapons array consists of two primary weapons on it's front limbs, and a power dampener sphere launcher on it's tail based off the same technology as the Krahli (the Vahki Predecessors). The black parts on its body are heavy armor, and the silver parts are solid Protosteel, making it's armor almost impenetrable on the black spots, and completely impenetrable by any mortal means on the silver spots.An explanation about designing and building the model: I always imagined the Marendar as more machine-looking than humanoid; as a massive bipedal tank type thing, with knees that had backwards joints in order to hold up its back-centered body weight. I tried to add some gears inside to make it look more mechanical. I personally love the way the silver and the black blend so well together, and at the same time it looks like a massive robot, rather than a humanoid.Sorry about the pictures not being quite the same size. They all link to larger images if you click on 'em.

marendar_front_resized.jpg marendar_back_resized.jpg

Front and Back

marendar_left_side_resized.jpg marendar_low_resized.jpg

Side and Low View

marendar_head_closeup.jpg marendar_internal_mechanics_resized.jpg

Head Closeup and Internal Mechanics

marendar_orde_kill_resized.jpg

A Toa of Psionics slain at the hands of the Marendar

Edited by joev14
  • Upvote 1

This is awesome looking! Not exactly what i imagined the Marendar looking like, but still really well done. I personally think the tail looks a bit awkward and i suggest you either remove it or make it longer. Because of the size of the whole thing it needs more length to be of any use unless it attacks its opponents backwards, tounge2.gif

Anoroka Orokau

Oro vahka aan ai myapa

WORDS EMPOWER THE ONE THAT USES THEM

Although I always pictured Marendar to be much larger, I think this is a great representation, if not to scale with actual Toa and such. Very robotic while still having some sort of animalistic predatory killer edge to it, which is an interesting combination of traits.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Very cool, looks like a lot of thought went into this design. The blue accents are a nice touch and really add a "mechy" look to the whole thing. You really did do a good job of constructing it in a way to look like a mechanical behemoth.
Although I always pictured Marendar to be much larger, I think this is a great representation, if not to scale with actual Toa and such. Very robotic while still having some sort of animalistic predatory killer edge to it, which is an interesting combination of traits.
I'm glad you like it! that's pretty much what I was going for (hunter + mech)
This is awesome looking! Not exactly what i imagined the Marendar looking like, but still really well done. I personally think the tail looks a bit awkward and i suggest you either remove it or make it longer. Because of the size of the whole thing it needs more length to be of any use unless it attacks its opponents backwards, tounge2.gif
It doesn't need to bend around, since it's a sphere launcher, all it needs to do is be on whichever side that the enemy is on. Though I might add length to it anyway :P

• 3 weeks later...