the first, real collectibles... the masks reborn?

banana92

Okay so this is just an idea, but how great would it be if lego came back out with just one thing, the mask packs from 2001-2003, but not just any mask pack, 6 or 7 different types, containing different masks in new colors like one for the 2001 kanohi in new colors like purple, yellow, dark orange, lime, and so on, for all the masks, the second could be an all metalic pack including gold, silver, gunmetal, platnium (the light silver) copper and dark gold masks from 2001, and the third could be like the fisrt, but with masks from 2004-2010, and the forth the same as that but metalic, the fifth, maybe blended masks like from the 2004 matoran, but including great masks and new colors again, and the sixth could be blended masks from 2004-2010, another could be strictly transparent masks (though this could fit in with the first. ,the only difference would be that each pack could come with 4 or 5 masks, and if they wanted to include a head of old toa, or toa metru, then they could do new eye colors to, expanding their horizons, and possibly making them money, because most of the people that the original bionicles (2001) hooked are now older, holding jobs, and if they still love their bionicles, i've seen people fork over a pretty penny for just 1 or 2 masks, so i say 5 masks, a colored mata style head, or metru head depending on the pack, and the coresponding eye peice for $5... so, any thoughs of improvement, and would you buy them? think dark orange noble mahiki, navy blue ruru, ligth blue hau... the possibilities are endless, but i say that lego should stick with stricktly bionicle colors, but the introduction of sand green, and sand red masks would be nice, and old purple, and old brown is the way to go. so any thoughts?

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

Okay so this is just an idea, but how great would it be if lego came back out with just one thing, the mask packs from 2001-2003, but not just any mask pack, 6 or 7 different types, containing different masks in new colors like one for the 2001 kanohi in new colors like purple, yellow, dark orange, lime, and so on, for all the masks...
The purple from 2001 (104 Bright Violet) is discontinued, but the others could be possible if TLG actually had any incentive to do this.
...the second could be an all metalic pack including gold, silver, gunmetal, platnium (the light silver) copper and dark gold masks from 2001...
There are no metallic colors from 2001 that are still on LEGO's color palette-- none whatsoever. In particular, the copper color used for copper masks (176 Red Flip/Flop), the gold color used for 2002 gold masks (178 Yellow Flip/Flop), and the silver color used for 2002 silver masks (179 Silver Flip/Flop) were never used again after those applications as far as I am aware. The gold color used for the Avohkii and Lhikan's Hau was also discontinued after 2005, replaced with 297 Warm Gold (the color of Brutaka's Kanohi Olmak).Current metallic colors (as in, colored plastic, not surface treatments like metallized or lacquered colors) include 297 Warm Gold, 315 Silver Metallic (replaced 131 Silver between 2010 and 2011), and 316 Titanium Metallic (replaced 148 Metallic Dark Grey between 2010 and 2011).
...and the third could be like the fisrt, but with masks from 2004-2010, and the forth the same as that but metalic, the fifth, maybe blended masks like from the 2004 matoran, but including great masks and new colors again, and the sixth could be blended masks from 2004-2010, another could be strictly transparent masks (though this could fit in with the first. ,the only difference would be that each pack could come with 4 or 5 masks, and if they wanted to include a head of old toa, or toa metru, then they could do new eye colors to, expanding their horizons, and possibly making them money, because most of the people that the original bionicles (2001) hooked are now older, holding jobs, and if they still love their bionicles, i've seen people fork over a pretty penny for just 1 or 2 masks, so i say 5 masks, a colored mata style head, or metru head depending on the pack, and the coresponding eye peice for $5... so, any thoughs of improvement, and would you buy them? think dark orange noble mahiki, navy blue ruru, ligth blue hau... the possibilities are endless, but i say that lego should stick with stricktly bionicle colors, but the introduction of sand green, and sand red masks would be nice, and old purple, and old brown is the way to go. so any thoughts?
Old brown (25 Earth Orange) and other discontinued colors like 153 Sand Red are, of course, impossible. But more importantly, here is where I ask: what incentive does TLG have to do this? This would require returning dozens of disused molds into production, some of which may have even been destroyed.And for what? Even back when they were still out the mask packs were not successful, and that was when BIONICLE was actually doing well as a whole. Today, there are many LEGO fans to whom Kanohi masks would hold no nostalgic value whatsoever and who would have no use for most of these masks. There's no reason someone who doesn't have any BIONICLE sets would need dozens of parts that perform a nearly-identical function on a model.And most BIONICLE fans, it's sad to say, grew out of that stage in their lives. A lot of the ones from 2001 probably grew out of it even before the theme had ended. It's not because BIONICLE was bad or because these people weren't true fans-- they just had their fill of BIONICLE and went on to different things. BIONICLE is, after all, a toy, and while adult toy enthusiasts do exist in great numbers, they are far outnumbered by adults who have moved on to different interests. That is true of any fandom.Really, an endeavor this great would only work if it were somehow capable of bringing in as many new fans as a totally new product range would. And that wouldn't happen with a product that's designed to appeal almost exclusively to people who were fans of a discontinued LEGO theme when they were over a decade younger.If TLG thinks that mask packs are worth giving another go, then what they would logically do would be to either revive BIONICLE in a brand-new way to appeal to the very different demographic of today's kids, or to create a brand-new theme that had a similar collectible gimmick driving sales. And since the latter option allows them much more creative freedom, that's almost certainly what they'd pick. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

yes i did know that these colors were discontinued, and i wasn't refering to the 2001 metalic colors (except copper which i didn't know about) but it still would be nice, and i would think that lego's incentive would be the money to make, and to gain back some of their original fans from then, as well as slightly newer fans who never got around to getting older masks but wished they had.other reasons for doing this, might be, that though the mask packs werent as successful, i find a few things that could make it better this time, one, most of those people were younger at the time many masks were made, and some like me were unfortunatly unable to get some masks, and not having the money, secondly, the advertisement wasn't the greatest, it didn't reach everyone it could, now with more online users, plus lego having shows, movies, and games, I know alot of people who bought the 2010 tahu just because it came with those masks, (which were sadly, but understandably a remold)third, lego left bionicle, and went to hero factory leaving an empty feeling, as well as a rushed one when everything progressed so quickly in the latter half of bionicle,i do know that lego has discontinued colors, and if it must remain that way, then so be it, even masks in some colors would be an amazing find, for those of us who collect them who didn't have the meansto do so, but i understand and respect what you say, if it were even remotely possible, what would your thoughts be?and if so, the masks could always be a promo with other sets, like with hero factory sets, maybe even a release of just some masks.

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

yes i did know that these colors were discontinued, and i wasn't refering to the 2001 metalic colors (except copper which i didn't know about) but it still would be nice, and i would think that lego's incentive would be the money to make, and to gain back some of their original fans from then, as well as slightly newer fans who never got around to getting older masks but wished they had.other reasons for doing this, might be, that though the mask packs werent as successful, i find a few things that could make it better this time, one, most of those people were younger at the time many masks were made, and some like me were unfortunatly unable to get some masks, and not having the money, secondly, the advertisement wasn't the greatest, it didn't reach everyone it could, now with more online users, plus lego having shows, movies, and games, I know alot of people who bought the 2010 tahu just because it came with those masks, (which were sadly, but understandably a remold)third, lego left bionicle, and went to hero factory leaving an empty feeling, as well as a rushed one when everything progressed so quickly in the latter half of bionicle,i do know that lego has discontinued colors, and if it must remain that way, then so be it, even masks in some colors would be an amazing find, for those of us who collect them who didn't have the meansto do so, but i understand and respect what you say, if it were even remotely possible, what would your thoughts be?and if so, the masks could always be a promo with other sets, like with hero factory sets, maybe even a release of just some masks.
If it were remotely possible? Hard to say. I do have a nostalgia for certain colors and mask designs (having spent lots and lots of time learning the historical context of certain BIONICLE colors). But I doubt I'd ever really care about getting a complete collection. I'd buy a few packs just as I did in 2001, or perhaps even fewer than I did then, but I have little use for specific masks in specific colors.The thing is, I have a hard time thinking new mask packs would be a way to "win back" fans, since a lot of the time their interests will have changed a great deal since back when the mask packs were first around. LEGO and BIONICLE may not even have much importance to them anymore. Some people close to me look back at BIONICLE with an attitude of "oh my gosh, I can't believe I was actually interested in that". I don't go so far-- I loved BIONICLE and don't regret any of the interest I had in it. But for the most part, there's not much BIONICLE-related that LEGO could release that would excite me more than new ideas that they haven't exhausted yet. That includes mask packs-- today's collectibles like the Minifigures theme tend to be a lot more exciting to me today than the idea of buying lots of parts that aren't unique in much except their colors and shapes.

I do see your points, and I think we'd be at a stand still (which isn't always a bad thing) but yes, I too have known people with the thought "can't believe I played with that," or "bionicle was the best thing ever" and with neither type of person do I agree, I am one of those who liked the collectibles, and I understand the minifigure part, to a point, but, I'm not sure what it is that the masks, really just the original 13, filled inside of me, I included a pack for all types of masks, because different people thought different masks were cool, I even would have gone to say a pack for colored weapons, but that may have been going to far. As you can see I am an avid collector of masks, and of course I'm sure lego has no reason for continuing (though i kind of like the promo idea) but it'd still be cool to see, either way, I want to make my own masks sometime, with a mold and things, and I know they wouldn't be official, but it would certainly fill the hole in me haha, and besides would be good for MOCing, Thank you for your time.

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

Okay so this is just an idea, but how great would it be if lego came back out with just one thing, the mask packs from 2001-2003, but not just any mask pack, 6 or 7 different types, containing different masks in new colors like one for the 2001 kanohi in new colors like purple, yellow, dark orange, lime, and so on, for all the masks, the second could be an all metalic pack including gold, silver, gunmetal, platnium (the light silver) copper and dark gold masks from 2001, and the third could be like the fisrt, but with masks from 2004-2010, and the forth the same as that but metalic, the fifth, maybe blended masks like from the 2004 matoran, but including great masks and new colors again, and the sixth could be blended masks from 2004-2010, another could be strictly transparent masks (though this could fit in with the first. ,the only difference would be that each pack could come with 4 or 5 masks, and if they wanted to include a head of old toa, or toa metru, then they could do new eye colors to, expanding their horizons, and possibly making them money, because most of the people that the original bionicles (2001) hooked are now older, holding jobs, and if they still love their bionicles, i've seen people fork over a pretty penny for just 1 or 2 masks, so i say 5 masks, a colored mata style head, or metru head depending on the pack, and the coresponding eye peice for $5... so, any thoughs of improvement, and would you buy them? think dark orange noble mahiki, navy blue ruru, ligth blue hau... the possibilities are endless, but i say that lego should stick with stricktly bionicle colors, but the introduction of sand green, and sand red masks would be nice, and old purple, and old brown is the way to go. so any thoughts?
You forgot Teal. Maaaaan, that colour is preety. THE COLOURS!!

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032