We don't know if there is genetics. Protodermis is a substance that essentially mimics the physics and qualities of real-world substances, or creates its own physics. With organic protodermis, most likely it is simply mimicking organics.My old "cyberclay" theory proposed that each protodermis molecule actually runs computer code in a sort of internet with all other molecules, and has a dormant "pre-alive" state, which when activated makes the molecules each act like cells (this would require each 'molecule' to be very complex, something like a fusion of cellular design and nanotech). And each one is a projector of "physics fields". So all the qualities of the protodermis are set by code inside them.If so, then organic protodermis could have computer code in each molecule that acts similar to DNA, but isn't necessarily DNA itself.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Since there is no biological reproduction in the Bionicle universe, so no real need for genetics. They might have them, or not. (They do have different characteristics, though, but those could just be "programmed" in) :shrugs:.EP is alive, so I don't see it as too much of a stretch that regular protodermis could be alive as well. The GBs might have stole what we might view as genetics from there, or the process of making proto out of EP might cause some "genetic" variations. Obviously such things would be slightly controlled for the process of making solid proto versus liquid proto, but when making organic proto, the GBs probably wanted variations for greater adaptive ability of the giant robot, so might not have controlled the process as tightly. Edit: Not sure that Proto was derived directly from EP. But even if it was a more stable GB imitation, being an imitation of EP, which is alive, in would make sense that regular proto could be alive, and that the GBs would design variations in their organic beings for greater adaptation. Another thing I need to look up.Edit: Done and cross-checked. Proto is artificial, which would imply that it wasn't made from EP directly, only mentally based on. Still think my last set of reasoning holds up, though...

Edited by fishers64