• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Elements question.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NatureDruid

NatureDruid
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 47 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 03:44 PM

How could the great beings imbue some of the species they created with elemental powers? Science, or magic?

#2 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,731 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 04:06 PM

I believe it was their extensive scientific prowess. No specific explanation has been given, though, to the best of my knowledge.

#3 Offline LewaLew

LewaLew
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 3,385 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 04:11 PM

I would assume BIONICLE science.In case you haven't heard, it doesn't work the same way science does 'round these parts.

#4 Offline Spinjitzu Master

Spinjitzu Master
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 506 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 04:17 PM

I prefer to think of it as a magical "science"..thinking BIONICLE too far in and explaining everything within logical bounds ruins the feel of it really.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
PM me if you wish to know more about BIONICLE: Showdown!

#5 Offline Makuta Matata

Makuta Matata
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well, Mata Nui and the Mask of Life did it. Why would the GBs not be able to?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#6 Offline BioGio

BioGio
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,206 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 05:15 PM

That's rather akin to saying that Tahu could shoot fire, so the GBs should have been able to. (Not to confuse the GBs and Element Lords, of course.) Or saying that Thomas Edison should have been able to emit light, since his invention could.The difference there is that Mata Nui and the Kanohi Ignika were both products of that scientific prowess, and so had certain powers that would seem like magic. However, the GBs did not have any such special magical powers--only science. In other words, the GBs used science to give their creations "magic." That doesn't mean that the GBs could use magic, though.~ BioGio

dig

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

#7 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,806 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 05:51 PM

Greg said all the "magic" in Bionicle is science that's not understood. Fictional physics as well, to some extent (which you could call magic from our point of view, but would be natural to their universe -- however, IMO it's possible to explain all fictional physics with mechanisms that use real-world laws of nature).A lot of it probably comes from the "natural" Energized Protodermis directly or indirectly. All the elemental and other powers in the giant robot / Matoran Universe come from the physics of the artificial protodermis that it's all made of, which the GBs made, inspired by the 'natural' EP. So all those can be easily explained.As for things like the Element Lords, it may be that they experimented with EP to figure out how to mimic powers before they made artificial protodermis. I have gotten a strong impression for a long time that there are actually two major inventions -- first a method of creating stable energy structures that can project powers (something like spirits/ghosts), based on the energetic qualities of EP. Second, the physical imitation of EP; artificial protodermis.If so, then they could have attached these artificial spirit-like energy substances to any normal molecular being or tools, granting them powers. Then later they implement the same thing in a more defined way with protodermis in the MU beings, methinks.

#8 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,731 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 06:11 PM

Or saying that Thomas Edison should have been able to emit light, since his invention could.

Thanks, Bio... now I have an image of a glowy Edison in my head...

Edited by Chro, Oct 08 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#9 Offline Magnetic Vorahk

Magnetic Vorahk
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 252 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 08:21 PM

Science. There is no magic in Bionice.
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.

#10 Offline Makuta Matata

Makuta Matata
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 09 2012 - 02:06 PM

That's rather akin to saying that Tahu could shoot fire, so the GBs should have been able to. (Not to confuse the GBs and Element Lords, of course.) Or saying that Thomas Edison should have been able to emit light, since his invention could.The difference there is that Mata Nui and the Kanohi Ignika were both products of that scientific prowess, and so had certain powers that would seem like magic. However, the GBs did not have any such special magical powers--only science. In other words, the GBs used science to give their creations "magic." That doesn't mean that the GBs could use magic, though.~ BioGio

What I'm saying is that if they can build a Mask that can do it, they can probably build one of themselves to do it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#11 Offline Vostrakha The Impossible

Vostrakha The Impossible
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 70 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 09 2012 - 03:54 PM

It's fiction. I guess it's up to our imagination

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users