Rumours Abound

While attending Brickcon this past weekend, I took advantage of the opportunity to talk to Kevin Hinkle, the bridge between the fan community and the Lego Group. In general we just chatted about Lego, Cuusoo, and random things. At one point, however, I did mention that'd I'd like some sort of official word on Bionicle's status within the company, so I asked him to say that Bionicle is never coming back, just to quell the rumours. His response? Read on.View the full article

thank the great biengs! XD this has given me hope for it comming back,i wonder if it will have a crosssover to hf or if it will be reincarnated in a different way, or possibly just what we have been hoping for just a continuation of bionicle in a more media freindly way ( like more kids books tv shows etc,)

Nothing new. Just like when it ended, they're not saying it isn't coming back, and they're not saying that it will.Only new info I think is that we know we won't see it next year, but that's not exactly surprising. I think LEGO will wait longer, until all of those kids who already know what BIONICLE is are no longer in the target demographic. And that's only if they choose to bring it back at all.

How well will you die?

I wouldn't get too excited. We already knew this. They're never going to toss Bionicle in the bin completely, but for now, and the forseeable future, Hero Factory is serving every purpose they needed Bionicle for. Think like the gap between runs of Knights Kingdom or Space Police as a reference for how long untill Bionicle might be considered to return.

Yeah, this sounds like reconfirmation of what we already knew, with the bonus tidbit that it's not coming back next year, which was already quite obvious if not (until now) explicitly stated. Lego's not going to say "line X is never coming back", because any line may very well come back some day, and it's silly to act like it's completely impossible. But like you put in bold at the top, I wouldn't read into this too much.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Old news. This news seems to me to only serve the purpose of inciting controversy and discussion when there really isn't just cause for it.We already knew that Lego has never ruled out the possibility of its return. That's what the term "forseeable future" means. They have no immediate plans, but there's not going to put out the broad statement of "there's no way it'll ever come back", because Lego is a business. If they think that the return of BIONICLE sets could be profitable for their company, they will bring it back.-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Wow, It's been a while since I've been on here.Anyway, Regarding to what Lewalew & Takhamavahu said. It makes sense that Lego would wait a while to bring back Bionicle. If Bionicle came back anytime soon, who's to say it we would all like it? They might redo the story, change some of the key features that made Bionicle unique or even change the building style?It would make sense for Lego to appeal to a new audience in the future because we might all criticize on how "not Bionicle" it might be. But anyway that's my opinion. Regardless on how (or if) Bionicle ever come's back, I'll support it. :)

lukiandnoki400-300.jpg

(Not particularly surprising. I mean, of course they can't say it'll never return because Bionicle was one of Lego's most successful themes. If every they go through some hard times then they at least have something to fall back on as a last resort. So if they say it's not coming back, then have to bring it back, they're gonna look a right fool.)

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I'd actually heard the same reply at BrickFair, and I asked Kevin "Is that gonna be what you say about every unreleased theme information", and he said yes or something of the sort. I then asked him if there are any plans to bring back Galidor, and he said the same thing. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

So a failed Troll attempt. :PIn my mind, if they ever do "bring Bionicle back" it'll look completely unlike the theme we knew and would probably just use the same theme name with different characters / setting, ext.Plus, when it does come back, we'll have classic monorail back too. They confirmed this would happen at Bricks Cascade, after all. Yayz!:music:

Well, we already knew this, really. The press release announcing the end of the BIONICLE sets didn't say "cancelled" or "discontinued", it said "for the foreseeable future". Greg said LEGO is keeping BIONICLE "in their back pocket". LEGO did have the story continue, probably a failsafe if they ever wanted to bring it back, and keeping BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com up isn't free, so they probably don't want to erase it. Anybody who has been saying that BIONICLE is dead is just overreacting. I see its return as a certainty in the next couple years, especially considering that HF seems to be winding down. The sets are in resealable bags now, they've dropped the character's first names and numerical designations (what was once "William Furno 2.0" is now simply "Furno"), and the current line is really seeming like HF's Stars. So yeah.

I miss BIONICLE.

What this probably means is if the circumstances were right, LEGO could continue Bionicle or reboot it, but they wouldn't otherwise. I don't think anyone should expect Bionicle to come back anytime soon, however, we should acknowledge that a Bionicle continuation or reboot isn't impossible.

Even if it does come back, it won't be the Bionicle we know and love. :uhuh:I'd love to be proven wrong, though.Heh, I can see it now: all of us as crotchety old men and women muttering about how much better Bionicle was in our day. Oh wait, that's already what most of this forum is about.

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

I hesitate to read to deeply into what might have no meaning, but this is something. Of course they're not going to throw away Bionicle completely, but haven't we had a lot of joking and sarcastic-y comments about Bionicle's return before? Something less negative is certainly welcome, and could be the result of some discussion, at least, withing the Lego company regarding Bionicle. Or it could be an offhand comment.

I'd actually heard the same reply at BrickFair, and I asked Kevin "Is that gonna be what you say about every unreleased theme information", and he said yes or something of the sort. I then asked him if there are any plans to bring back Galidor, and he said the same thing. :P
And the third, and, I think, most likely reason is that the Lego employees (or just Kevin) have have either come up with a set response to satisfy us annoying fans of discontinued themes.Also it could be TLG's instructions regarding all discontinued themes.Whatever it is, I thank you for posting it, because it is worth knowing. Here's hoping no serious flaming/arguments break out that have already been discussed multiple times.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Well, I heard that they're going to make Lewa a girl and she'll be dating both Pohatu and Kopaka to challenge their friendship. Also, the new shadow villain will have four heads instead of three!It should all go down in 2020. You'll see. ;)On a serious note, I am interested by this. I wonder if we will see Bionicle's return someday. I hope they make a few changes if they do... Okay, a lot of changes. XP

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of the Breeze

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Well, if he told us that Bionicle was never coming back, there is a fine possibility that some of us would get ticked off, pound some hard objects, and never buy Lego again. In other words, it is the standard non-alienation speech. They would rather string us along on the possibility of it coming back if it gets them more money.

Hm. If it does come back in 2014, it'd be sooner than I expected. HF seems to be nearing its end with Von Nebula's possible return. Personally, I thought we'd have one short-ish constraction line between Hero Factory and a possible return of Bionicle, but if Bionicle comes back in 2014, that would mean Hero Factory gets two waves in 2013, and ends.Either way, this is pretty cool to hear. If it does return, I want a reboot. Go back to the magical, simple, mysterious story that was 2001.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Lego often has reasonable gap between similar themes. After checking Brickset I listed the differences.Alpha Team – Agents --> 3 yearsAquazone – Aqua Raiders --> 8 yearsAqua Raiders – Atlantis -->3 yearsDinosaurs – Dino Attack --> 4 yearsDino Attack – Dino --> 6 yearsExo-Force – Ninjago --> 3 yearsRock Raiders – Power Miners --> 9 yearsAfter averaging the results I came up with the number 5.14. I predict Bionicle will return somewhere around 2015. I would be surprised if it returned latter then 2020.My fear is that when it does come back, it will have the awful oversimplified building the Hero Factory is moving towards

Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

^ VERY interesting!Maybe Lego doesn't want us to know their inner workings. Greg always used to say exactly the same thing whenever we quizzed him about future story.

Edited by Makuta_of_Oz

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I really hope this turns out to be true, mostly because I want it to be true.Let's Keep Bionicle Alive!Edit: On a side note, I love the contrast between Lego and Wizards of the Coast. If this were WotC, and they were indeed going to be bringing it back, they would be flat out lying saying they weren't going to bring it back. Makes me respect Lego more having seen how other companies do it.

Edited by Lewa Krom

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Lego often has reasonable gap between similar themes. After checking Brickset I listed the differences.Alpha Team – Agents --> 3 yearsAquazone – Aqua Raiders --> 8 yearsAqua Raiders – Atlantis -->3 yearsDinosaurs – Dino Attack --> 4 yearsDino Attack – Dino --> 6 yearsExo-Force – Ninjago --> 3 yearsRock Raiders – Power Miners --> 9 yearsAfter averaging the results I came up with the number 5.14. I predict Bionicle will return somewhere around 2015. I would be surprised if it returned latter then 2020.My fear is that when it does come back, it will have the awful oversimplified building the Hero Factory is moving towards
You do realise that these themes are not the same after the gaps. The storie and sets are totally different. That would be like BIONICLE followed by a similiar theme aka Hero Factory which has happened.To be honest this news doesn't tell us anything new, this is exactly the same as LEGO saying they would discontinue BIONICLE for the"forseeable future" 3 years ago.

ViSa1Uz.jpg

As infrequent as I post, I will always continue to be a BIONICLE fan

You do realise that these themes are not the same after the gaps. The storie and sets are totally different. That would be like BIONICLE followed by a similiar theme aka Hero Factory which has happened.To be honest this news doesn't tell us anything new, this is exactly the same as LEGO saying they would discontinue BIONICLE for the"forseeable future" 3 years ago.
Well we can't expect Lego to bring back exactly the same sets, LEGO has never done that before. Making something they've already done before would certainly be a pour business move. I used the themes I did because they have the same basic conflict and same basic feel. We can't expect LEGO to bring back a series that uses the same characters and same appearances as the first. It would be repetitive and turn off newer buyers.What was successful about Bionicle was not necessarily the appearance or story but the premise. The idea of robots fighting evil in a mysterious mythos is cool, when Bionicle come back it will probably use the same universe, powers, and some plot elements but expecting the same characters, story, and appearance is asking to much.Most likely it will return in the same manner as the Bara Magna reboot. Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

What was successful about Bionicle was not necessarily the appearance or story but the premise. The idea of robots fighting evil in a mysterious mythos is cool, when Bionicle come back it will probably use the same universe, powers, and some plot elements but expecting the same characters, story, and appearance is asking to much.
I agree. I'd like it better if they did it like this. And they have a lot to work with too, both story-wise and set-wise, so this would definitely be the easiest way to do it.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

there's just one thing that doesn't sit right here. the fact that it was stated that it would not be returning next year is... an interesting observation to make if he knew that it wasn't coming back at all. but the rest is probably what they would say for anything, really.

Well, we already knew this, really. The press release announcing the end of the BIONICLE sets didn't say "cancelled" or "discontinued", it said "for the foreseeable future". Greg said LEGO is keeping BIONICLE "in their back pocket". LEGO did have the story continue, probably a failsafe if they ever wanted to bring it back, and keeping BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com up isn't free, so they probably don't want to erase it. Anybody who has been saying that BIONICLE is dead is just overreacting. I see its return as a certainty in the next couple years, especially considering that HF seems to be winding down. The sets are in resealable bags now, they've dropped the character's first names and numerical designations (what was once "William Furno 2.0" is now simply "Furno"), and the current line is really seeming like HF's Stars. So yeah.
that's rock solid proof. for approximately nothing. in fact it doesn't say anything. the plastic bags probably cost less, so they can keep the price down. the names mean nothing. and considering they are releasing ALL of the heroes its nothing like that.

I am Shockwave. So, logically your argument is invalid.

'nuff said.

Edited by <shockwave>

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

This quote sums up my opinions on the return of bionicle. And in the official email black six, it said
the six BIONICLE Stars launching in January will be the last BIONICLE sets for the foreseeable future.
So within the next few years we will hopefully be outside of their foreseeable future fom 2009. Kevin Hinkle can neither confirm or deny that bionicle wil be dead forever, beause lego isn't going to throw money out the window if they have a line that has proven itself worthy before, and can do it again wih a new generation, backed up by the old fans.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)